Raffi Torres to Buffalo for Nathan Paetsch and a 2nd round pick...

Two or less

Seem gritty enough to me. :beer:

One of the legal variety:

Wow. I don't think the Sabres have a player on the roster other than Kaleta who can hit like that. I'm assuming he doesn't do it that often, though, because if he did, he wouldn't have been traded. Still, the Sabres have been dying for a forward with skill AND an edge. Maybe he's the guy...

Seem gritty enough to me. :beer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0KC91Wuz2k

Like that comment right at the end. "Right in the earhole."

The first one could be considered a shoulder to the head but the second one falls under "just finishing the check". Since I have been beating the drum about this team not finishing their checks, I can't complain too loud.

I think I am going to like this guy, especially when we can throw out Kaleta, Goose, Torres as the energy line.

Anyone know what his value is on the PP? Looks like he has 7 PP goals this year, so that is encouraging....

He got his last PP goal against the Sabres on Feb 6th. Prior to that his last PP point was Dec 10th.

It was quoted earlier in the thread that Torres wanted to play for TOR next season.

Yep, Burke said it earlier this season and Raffi stated he'd love to play for Burke in Toronto. I see Raffi Torres in Toronto at the start of next season, I have no doubt about this.

People are going to complain, but in terms of the immediate impact, the roster is better than it was yesterday. We'll see how it works out, but I won't miss either MacArthur or Paetsch and I'm looking forward to see what Torres brings to this team.

I'm one of them who dislikes these deals. I don't think anyone will miss Paetsch or MacArthur, but the rental business has been horrible business for the Sabres. Zubrus and Moore come to mind immediately.

Dammit quit giving away 1st and 2nd rounders for a two month rentals!

I think Torres is OK as a player and if he was under contract I would like the deal a lot more, but you can't seriously believe that he is the difference maker for this team.

The Sabres let their free agents walk for free and then they turn around and pay for unrestricted players from other teams. (What did the Sabres get for Drury,Briere and Campbell?)

This is assbackwards. Let's trade the unrestricted players for something and stop renting players. If the Sabres win the Cup with Torres I'll take it all back.

The way I see it breaking down is the Sabres lose a 2nd round pick along with Paetsch and MacArthur now, then they lose Torres,Tallinder and Lydman in the summer and what they get back is a 3rd and 4th rounder.

I think any objective observer would call that quite lopsided against the Sabres.

Lose 5 players and a 2nd rounder in exchange for a 3rd and 4th rounder. Terrible work in my opinion.

I'm one of them who dislikes these deals. I don't think anyone will miss Paetsch or MacArthur, but the rental business has been horrible business for the Sabres. Zubrus and Moore come to mind immediately.

I think Torres is OK as a player and if he was under contract I would like the deal a lot more, but you can't seriously believe that he is the difference maker for this team.

The Sabres let their free agents walk for free and then they turn around and pay for unrestricted players from other teams. (What did the Sabres get for Drury,Briere and Campbell?)

This is assbackwards. Let's trade the unrestricted players for something and stop renting players. If the Sabres win the Cup with Torres I'll take it all back.

The way I see it breaking down is the Sabres lose a 2nd round pick along with Paetsch and MacArthur now, then they lose Torres,Tallinder and Lydman in the summer and what they get back is a 3rd and 4th rounder.

I think any objective observer would call that quite lopsided against the Sabres.

Lose 5 players and a 2nd rounder in exchange for a 3rd and 4th rounder. Terrible work in my opinion.

that could be the worst analysis ive ever seen posted online. I don't usually post but damn. I really needed to.

that could be the worst analysis ive ever seen posted online. I don't usually post but damn. I really needed to.

This not only could be, but is, the worst assessment of a post that makes complete sense I have ever seen. I normally don't post much either, but I really needed to.

I like the deal even though it wasnt the big trade i was hioping for, the more i think about the more i like it. Torres is a hard nosed, kid of crazy player that has some offensive skills and he also performs in the clutch during the playoffs. Plus Paetch didnt do anything and i think this trade will work out better than zubrus or moore. Lets go buffalo

Our roster is better. Torres will be a nice addition. We'll see what he brings to the table. And how fun, Torres is now our leading goal scorer :thumbsup: ... :unsure:

It'll take about 5 games to judge the impact of this trade.

As it stands now, I hate the make up of this team. But Darcy seems to be quite comfortable with it. We'll see how that one works out.

This not only could be, but is, the worst assessment of a post that makes complete sense I have ever seen. I normally don't post much either, but I really needed to.

This could not only be, but is, the best assessment of a post that makes no sense whatsoever that was originally describing a post in which the second poster thought the first poster was out of his mind, but in actuality was fairly accurate, even though the second poster didnt agree-------no...wait...wait...yeah, that's right...no...

Crap.

I'm lost.

;)

So, you want the Sabres to stop renting players, but everyone else to take the Sabres' rentals? If you were making a trade for Tallinder (an example of a rental), what would you give back? All you're really going to get back are picks and prospects, none of which help the Sabres make the most of Miller's banner year. The Sabres are probably better right now than with anything they could have gotten in trade.

This could not only be, but is, the best assessment of a post that makes no sense whatsoever that was originally describing a post in which the second poster thought the first poster was out of his mind, but in actuality was fairly accurate, even though the second poster didnt agree-------no...wait...wait...yeah, that's right...no...

Crap.

I'm lost.

;)

Dam, he's on to me :D

Of course it's lopsided. But people eat it up. I give you Johnny Vogl, in his whiniest voice, starting off the presser: "whine whine snivel snivel, so Darcy, looking at the roster, today was a good day." Not even a question. A statement. A nice soft ball, from a nice soft ball. I'm sure there'll be some poetic garbage in the News later. Jesus, our media doesn't even own a set. I've said it before: everyone in Sabres history is comfortable, except the real fans.

Of course it's lopsided. But people eat it up. I give you Johnny Vogl, in his whiniest voice, starting off the presser: "whine whine snivel snivel, so Darcy, looking at the roster, today was a good day." Not even a question. A statement. A nice soft ball, from a nice soft ball. I'm sure there'll be some poetic garbage in the News later. Jesus, our media doesn't even own a set. I've said it before: everyone in Sabres history is comfortable, except the real fans.

I've been gone from Buffalo for so long that I didn't really notice this until listening to Darcy's presser today. The media didn't ask a single tough question. They basically kissed his ass while he mumbled on about "we like our roster... potential contributors in Portland... the trade deadline isn't a good time to make moves... other teams would appear to be getting better, but they're not... blah, blah, blah."

I've been gone from Buffalo for so long that I didn't really notice this until listening to Darcy's presser today. The media didn't ask a single tough question. They basically kissed his ass while he mumbled on about "we like our roster... potential contributors in Portland... the trade deadline isn't a good time to make moves... other teams would appear to be getting better, but they're not... blah, blah, blah."

It's amazing, isn't it? I wish I understood it. The fan base is pretty passionate, and usually pretty pissed off at things. You're in the sports media -- who do you work for? The Sabres need the media coverage as much as the media needs access. Be tough. What are the Sabres going to do, start pulling press passes?

We're going to have to go ahead and disagree on the rental thing, but I have to comment on the bolded. You do realize that they traded Campbell, right? He should not be mentioned along with the other two. And since you're advocating trading our UFAs, would you have moved Drury and/or Briere that season?

We're going to have to go ahead and disagree on the rental thing, but I have to comment on the bolded. You do realize that they traded Campbell, right? He should not be mentioned along with the other two. And since you're advocating trading our UFAs, would you have moved Drury and/or Briere that season?

well said. :beer:

Lydman is an UFA. Mair and Ellis are garbage. Why would Carolina do this?

Mair and Ellis aren't garbage, for what they are, 4th liners, they are pretty decent. They will never be top 6 players, but they will play tough and hard for you every night. Its impossible to have an entire team of 1st liners.

Darcy's right, he proves it every year while losing teams deal, and he sits on his hands making a minor just before 3pm for garbage and wins the cup.

I'm not complaining about Torres (I think it was a decenet deal, Paestch and Macarthur were throw aways who weren't going to affect the team anyways. My biggest problem with Darcy, is that this is it, like he made this move just to turn to fans and say "See, I made a deal, you should be happy"

Being a Sabres fan on Trade Deadline is like being a poor kid on Christmas in a rich neighborhood. All of your friends get a bunch of shiney new toys, while you get one new sock or a new pair of Underwear and try and look happy you got something.

Darcy's right, he proves it every year while losing teams deal, and he sits on his hands making a minor just before 3pm for garbage and wins the cup.

I'm not complaining about Torres (I think it was a decenet deal, Paestch and Macarthur were throw aways who weren't going to affect the team anyways. My biggest problem with Darcy, is that this is it, like he made this move just to turn to fans and say "See, I made a deal, you should be happy"

Being a Sabres fan on Trade Deadline is like being a poor kid on Christmas in a rich neighborhood. All of your friends get a bunch of shiney new toys, while you get one new sock or a new pair of Underwear and try and look happy you got something.

You're right. On it's own standing, this is a good trade. The problem is that it wasn't accompanied by 3 or 4 more similar moves.

Right now, it appears as if the core this team doesn't give a damn if it wins or loses. Today was another missed opportunity to shake up that mindset by shipping out a couple members of the brat pack.

Like the last two trading deadlines, Regier stacked his chips on a bunch of Paul Cyr clones. The team will end up paying the price again this year for another missed opportunity at the deadline.

I feel bad for Raffi. He has to come play for THIS mess for the next two months. He'll be running for the door after the last game.

Thats already a given, he stated back at the beginning of the season he wants to play in Toronto. Burke made a statement just before the Olympics that Torres is the type of player he likes. Where do you think Raffi is playing next season? :doh:

This is a typical Regier trade. It's safe and low impact. I would have given Columbus a second round pick just to take Paetsch. It was definitely the Sabres second best trade made today. I have to give Regier full credit for finding a team that would give up two draft picks for MacArthur.

Archived