Olympic Hockey Game Discussion Threads

Bmwolf21

Nothing says "Great Olympic" moments like two groups of millionaires laying it all out there on the ice. :doh:

You dont like that athletes are millionaires,, give up watching sports and watch cooking shows. You think poor guys off the street would have played any harder? Go flush yourself!

For me, country will always come before professional sports. I'd rather see the U.S. Men win a gold medal in hockey in my lifetime than the Sabres win the Stanley Cup any day. With that being said I'd like to see true amateurs used at these games, rather than NHL players or any other professionls. There is something arrogant about the NHL parading their players in after the opening ceremonies are held and are made to leave before the closing ceremonies. Maybe it would reduce the temptation to create advantages, such as using a smaller ice surface, for squads with only NHL players on them.

As for the Olympics, I don't know if you can call them a success given that a young man died at these games in large part due to the facilities being used. The passion of the host fans was palpable, even if some fans did spoil the civility of the Olympics by booing or chiding other teams. I would say that I got what I expected from these games. All in all, a nice break from reality.

Call me selfish, but Buffalo Sabres/Bills bringing home a championship is at the top of my wish list.

Really? I mean....REALLY?!?! You think he lost mental focus? The dude just won MVP of the tourney and you're blaming him for mental lapses. Congrats on the win, you must have been drinking since 6 AM if you think that that goal is on Miller. He nor any other player on the US team has anything to be ashamed of.

He didn't lose mental focus on that goal, I said I hope he doesn't for the remainder of the NHL season.

I think he should have saved that though. Sorry.

He didn't lose mental focus on that goal, I said I hope he doesn't for the remainder of the NHL season.

I think he should have saved that though. Sorry.

I still think Hasek should have made the save on Kaspairitis' shot in Game 7 OT too, but he didn't...

That was a hell of a tournament by Miller and the USA team. They should be proud of their effort.

I expect the ovation for Miller to be deafening on Wednesday.

F*** the Canadian fans in attendance with their Miller chant. Little did those dipshits know at the time, that the guy they were riding came within one goal of making them look like idiots. I take that back....they are idiots either way. <_<

PS Congrats to Lindy! Lindy - Gold, Miller - Silver & Lydman - Bronze. :thumbsup:

Guest Sloth

For me, country will always come before professional sports. I'd rather see the U.S. Men win a gold medal in hockey in my lifetime than the Sabres win the Stanley Cup any day. With that being said I'd like to see true amateurs used at these games, rather than NHL players or any other professionls. There is something arrogant about the NHL parading their players in after the opening ceremonies are held and are made to leave before the closing ceremonies. Maybe it would reduce the temptation to create advantages, such as using a smaller ice surface, for squads with only NHL players on them.

I partially agree with you on country coming before professional sports. What I want most is to see the Sabres bring the Stanley Cup to Buffalo. That is only professional championship I'd want before our country. After that, I want Team USA hockey to win gold. I am not going to lie. I am down right now. The change of emotions in today's game were borderline heart failure.

Oh, the Bills come in third on my most wanted championship list.

That was a hell of a tournament by Miller and the USA team. They should be proud of their effort.

I expect the ovation for Miller to be deafening on Wednesday.

F*** the Canadian fans in attendance with their Miller chant. Little did those dipshits know at the time, that the guy they were riding came within one goal of making them look like idiots. I take that back....they are idiots either way. <_<

PS Congrats to Lindy! Lindy - Gold, Miller - Silver & Lydman - Bronze. :thumbsup:

QFT

That was some "fan"tastic hockey. Anybody who has a competitive bone in his body or ever has particpated in any competition can appreciate that game. I can't believe some here are gnashing their teeth over whether professionals or millionaires are allowed to play and can't appreciate the competition and effort for what it is. I also do not understand the arrogance on either side.

I can guarantee almost every athlete by the time this competition was in gear felt the pride of representing their country.

On a side note I really learned to like Burke and his approach and what he represents for american hockey. I also cant disagree with his formula of a top 6 based on speed and skill and 6 lunch bucket get dirty plumber's with a good goalie and solid defense.

Great game USA you did US proud in a surprising hostile environment against the captain canada team (anyone notice how many of the Canadians team were captains or Alternates for their teams). Oh and special mention for Patrick Kane stepping up on the biggest stage to date for him and playing one hell of a game along with Miller doing Buffalo proud.

I gotta say this. Why do so many people cry over fans chanting the opposition goalie's name? We all know that it doesn't matter if fans do that because the goalies could care less. It makes me laugh when I read posts like Labatts swearing at Canadian fans for chanting Miller's name. Dude, I say this to you. Grow up and quit your sniveling. Your swearing at Canadians is much more distasteful than chanting Miller. Unreal.

I gotta say this. Why do so many people cry over fans chanting the opposition goalie's name? We all know that it doesn't matter if fans do that because the goalies could care less. It makes me laugh when I read posts like Labatts swearing at Canadian fans for chanting Miller's name. Dude, I say this to you. Grow up and quit your sniveling. Your swearing at Canadians is much more distasteful than chanting Miller. Unreal.

Sorry. I just think it is lame at the Olympic level.

It's the Olympics. Chanting isn't that big a deal, especially when it's professional athletes on the ice. However, if you're booing an opposing country (which I did not hear in these Olympics) or heckling an opposing country, like when Canadian curling fans heckled the Dannish curlers to the point, I think it just shows a lack of class. It's not like it will hurt Miller's performance but it does take away from the spirit of the games.

How about the fantastic ovation for miller, when he recieved his medal. Looked liked he was a little verclempt there.

Raflaski wasn't at fault at all on that goal.

On Toews' goal? He certainly does get some of the blame. I will concede that he doesn't get it all, but after Johnson makes a rushed pass to Rafalski, Rafa tries to skate it away from the side of the net and Toews slashes the puck off his stick. Puck rolls to Richards, who gets the original shot, and Rafalski doesn;t get to either Richards or Toews in time.

+1

Because it is stupid, juvenile, and most often, overused and pointless. Fire away when the goalie gives up a really bad goal, or if it a guy who runs his mouth prior to the game. But chanting Miller's name after USA scored the first goal? Just sounds idiotic.

I also don't get the ringing bells sound clip every time someone gets sent to the box, but that's a discussion for another time.

If Candians themselves don't even care how stupid they come across to the rest of the world, then I find it really hard to car as well.

Any chance Tyler Myers can be convinced to play for the USA in 2014? :)

He played for Canada in the World Juniors, so my understanding is that he cannot compete for the US in future international competitions. Likewise, Pommer can't play for the Canadians, because he played for the US.

I also don't get the ringing bells sound clip every time someone gets sent to the box, but that's a discussion for another time.

That started at the last games and I hate it. I think it was to advise people in attendance that a penalty had been called. Probably for new fans. But what gets me to this day is that Ottawa Senators do that at their games still. Apparently their fans don't know what a penalty is, so they play that song so they know.

Kane was the best player on the ice..Hands down....

Play of the game - Kane backchecking like crazy on Crosby's breakaway, and instead of doing something stupid like tripping him up from behind, he just goes stick on stick, and Crosby never gets anything on his shot.

Archived