GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

end the curse

Game thoughts(I just got home from the game)...

- The game is tied at 2-2, they get a PP and if they would have scored, the crowd would have exploded. So what happens, they are lucky to still be tied as Ottawa dominated while shorthanded.

- Lindy must have had his head up his ass late in the game. You know what happens when you put the 4th line on the ice with one minute to go and the game tied? YOU LOSE!!

- I don't know who it was backing up at the blueline with Alfredsson coming towards him with the net empty, but WTF were you thinking? Your two choices were A.) Go straight at him and hope you can knock the puck away or B.) Play him as if you had a goalie in the net.

- Lindy must have had his head up his ass late in the game. You know what happens when you put the 4th line on the ice with one minute to go and the game tied? YOU LOSE!!

- The poor reaction after the Phillips hit on Miller was expected. I give Myers credit for sticking his nose in there(unlike the rest of his teammates), but the correct reaction was to skate at Phillips about 100MPH with both fists flying by anyone/everyone on the ice. What an embarrassment.

- If the Sabres end up losing the division, this is the game you will look back at, as one that they could have put some distance between the Sabres and the Senators.

:angry:

You may not like, but you need to know if those guys can handle it. The Sabres have put themselves in a pretty good position. I'll still take any bets that they win their division. Now its about preparing for those playoffs and these guys either show they can deal with it or they show the GM he needs to add to the roster.

You may not like, but you need to know if those guys can handle it. The Sabres have put themselves in a pretty good position. I'll still take any bets that they win their division. Now its about preparing for those playoffs and these guys either show they can deal with it or they show the GM he needs to add to the roster.

I really hope that that is whet we just saw. If not, that is some pretty good spin.

I'm just learning from PA and taking the Devil's advocate view point.

Your big picture sensibilities are annoying the peasants with pitchforks. :lol:

Although, if the GM didn't know what he had in Adam Mair and Tim Kennedy before tonight, then we are in some serious trouble.

Miller is really off his game right now. The cowboy act is wearing thin. He preaches discipline and playing the system to his teammates. Look in the mirror. You can't tell me he's putting himself in good positions right now.

Vanek needs to score on that late chance. But good for him for punching Ruutu. Also, he's lucky he's not paralyzed right now. And no penalty on Ruutu -- amazing.

Best paragraph you've written all year. He was a goalie among the best simply because his positioning was freaking incredible, but Miller has not had the same focus, or positioning, since being named to a certain Olympic team, IMO. All of the sudden, he's not squared off at the shooter; he's behind the net, or out at the faceoff circle, or wherever, but we didn't see Miller do that so often before. He had a great save tonight--but most goalies have a great save per game. Look, if I were him, my mind probably would be in Vancouver, too. But he's being well-paid to take care of business at home, and he hasn't done so, lately.

I almost (I DID write "almost") want to see Lalime in there until the Olympics start.

As for your later post about Ruff, no, he's not at fault. Come on. Who the hell else gets to first place in the division with this roster? Get over it already.

Although, if the GM didn't know what he had in Adam Mair and Tim Kennedy before tonight, then we are in some serious trouble.

Kennedy and Myers both made some pretty decent gaffs this week.

They are rookies. Do you pull them out of big situations?

I don't think you do.

I don't think Mair's contributions are below expectations either.

But I'd say the bottom 6 forwards were carrying the team a good deal of this year, and they aren't anymore, in any zone.

That's hockey.

Buffalo's been in a slump, but they've had a chance to win every game.

Ottawa will come back to the league too, but they have found their legs.

Best paragraph you've written all year. He was a goalie among the best simply because his positioning was freaking incredible, but Miller has not had the same focus, or positioning, since being named to a certain Olympic team, IMO. All of the sudden, he's not squared off at the shooter; he's behind the net, or out at the faceoff circle, or wherever, but we didn't see Miller do that so often before. He had a great save tonight--but most goalies have a great save per game. Look, if I were him, my mind probably would be in Vancouver, too. But he's being well-paid to take care of business at home, and he hasn't done so, lately.

I almost (I DID write "almost") want to see Lalime in there until the Olympics start.

As for your later post about Ruff, no, he's not at fault. Come on. Who the hell else gets to first place in the division with this roster? Get over it already.

I don't know. The first goal Miller agressively cut off the angle like he's been doing all year. I just think that was about the sickest shot i've seen this year for what Spezza was getting shown.

He played well enough to win this game. 34/37 saves....what's that .92....

Teams seem to be catching on to the pinching D-men and counter-attacking.

They could go back to a neutral zone trap for a bit, but to tell the truth, i'm kind of enjoying the 75 shot games for a while.

I don't think you do.

But I'd say the bottom 6 forwards were carrying the team a good deal of this year, and they aren't anymore, in any zone.

That's hockey.

I don't either, but why is he out there against Ottawa's #1 line? There's rewarding hard work and being delusional.

I don't know. The first goal Miller agressively cut off the angle like he's been doing all year. I just think that was about the sickest shot i've seen this year for what Spezza was getting shown.

He played well enough to win this game. 34/37 saves....what's that .92....

Teams seem to be catching on to the pinching D-men and counter-attacking.

They could go back to a neutral zone trap for a bit, but to tell the truth, i'm kind of enjoying the 75 shot games for a while.

How many times have we seen him out of position in the last few weeks? How many times, in the last few weeks, have we seen him give up juicy, "gonna score," rebounds?

Compare and contrast to his play over the years. I think he's out of it right now. Maybe it's because he's overworked, and not because his head is with Team USA, but there's something going on there, and I don't like it.

Just my opinion, of course, and the Sabres certainly could have scored a couple earlier tonight, but I'm thinking of the Pittsburgh game and a couple of (obscured, it was late!) outings out West, too.

Would you like to try and win that Bernier money back?

Here's my offer....

I see in a previous post on this thread you feel the Sabres will either elevate their game or a move will be made to enhance the team.....and the Sabres will go on to win one or two playoff rounds because Ruff and Miller are at their best in the spring.

I say Ruff has never learned how to handle the 162 lb. Mr Olympia.....and Miller is already showing signs of being overworked, and is losing focus. An extra 4-6 games in the Olympics on top of the 68-73 regular season games spells DISASTER in the playoffs. Not to mention if Miller stinks up the joint in Vancouver, he will probably crack early in his return. If he does well....a game every other night for 2 months plus the playoffs should do it as well.

So....I propose a series of 3 bets....$50 each, with the balance going to charity of winner's choice once again.

Bet #1) I wager the Sabres WILL NOT win their division

Bet #2) I wager the Sabres WILL NOT win one playoff round

Bet #3) I wager the Sabres WILL NOT win two playoff rounds

It is a package deal....all or none. It would take a small miracle for Boston or Montreal to jump back in this so it is basicaly Ottawa vs Buffalo with the Sabres ahead by 3-7 points with 25 to play.

I have a feeling it could be an extremely painful end to the season as Buffalo might be up 4 or 5 points with 6 games left and could completely collapse. If Buffalo does hang on...they should get a good matchup in the 1st round and you have a good shot at making money. If they lose the division....they open in Pitt or NJ. Good luck with that.

I'm game if you are.....

Would you like to try and win that Bernier money back?

Here's my offer....

I see in a previous post on this thread you feel the Sabres will either elevate their game or a move will be made to enhance the team.....and the Sabres will go on to win one or two playoff rounds because Ruff and Miller are at their best in the spring.

I say Ruff has never learned how to handle the 162 lb. Mr Olympia.....and Miller is already showing signs of being overworked, and is losing focus. An extra 4-6 games in the Olympics on top of the 68-73 regular season games spells DISASTER in the playoffs. Not to mention if Miller stinks up the joint in Vancouver, he will probably crack early in his return. If he does well....a game every other night for 2 months plus the playoffs should do it as well.

So....I propose a series of 3 bets....$50 each, with the balance going to charity of winner's choice once again.

Bet #1) I wager the Sabres WILL NOT win their division

Bet #2) I wager the Sabres WILL NOT win one playoff round

Bet #3) I wager the Sabres WILL NOT win two playoff rounds

It is a package deal....all or none. It would take a small miracle for Boston or Montreal to jump back in this so it is basicaly Ottawa vs Buffalo with the Sabres ahead by 3-7 points with 25 to play.

I have a feeling it could be an extremely painful end to the season as Buffalo might be up 4 or 5 points with 6 games left and could completely collapse. If Buffalo does hang on...they should get a good matchup in the 1st round and you have a good shot at making money. If they lose the division....they open in Pitt or NJ. Good luck with that.

I'm game if you are.....

I still laugh when people think Miller is ALREADY showing signs of wearing down. If this is true, this team's weakest link is certainly not Paetsch, Lydman, Mair, etc.... They can look no further than Miller himself, because that would be the saddest form of athlete I've ever watched with my own 2 eyes.

In other words, I call shenanigans. He's not playing very well. It happens, to EVERY goalie. Stop making excuses and stop trying to blame Ruff for Miller's weak play of late. It's old and boring.

Why do we consistently see a struggling PP?

PP was #13 in the league entering this game. It was lousy tonight, but it's been pretty decent lately.

A little pressure from Ottawa won't be the worst thing to happen to this team.

Both teams are going to the playoffs. They'll sort this out and have some margin to do it.

+1

- The poor reaction after the Phillips hit on Miller was expected. I give Myers credit for sticking his nose in there(unlike the rest of his teammates), but the correct reaction was to skate at Phillips about 100MPH with both fists flying by anyone/everyone on the ice. What an embarrassment.

+1. I don't think Gaustad was on the ice for this hit, but I would've liked to have seen more physicality from him tonight.

I don't think you do.

That's hockey.

Good stuff tonight, XB.

How many times have we seen him out of position in the last few weeks? How many times, in the last few weeks, have we seen him give up juicy, "gonna score," rebounds?

Compare and contrast to his play over the years. I think he's out of it right now. Maybe it's because he's overworked, and not because his head is with Team USA, but there's something going on there, and I don't like it.

Just my opinion, of course, and the Sabres certainly could have scored a couple earlier tonight, but I'm thinking of the Pittsburgh game and a couple of (obscured, it was late!) outings out West, too.

Well, if you go back to the roadie, I agree, but Miller was razor sharp against NJ and Boston, then crappy vs Pittsburgh and, I thought, pretty good tonight. He made a few big saves on the Sabres' awful PP in the 3rd after they tied it, when Ottawa had a few good chances at a SHG. XB is right about Spezza -- he is an elite player who is in the zone right now and able to put the puck anywhere he wants. He was allowed to cruise in very close and pick his spots in a leisurely manner on both of those goals tonight.

Just watched the DVR and that plain sucked. They completely outplayed the Sens in the first. The second was closer, but one bad play aside, they were still the better team. Then, they roar back to tie it in the third and have the better chances (except on our own PP) until that last minute. Ugh ...

I will say that as soon as I saw Mair, Ellis and Kennedy out there, I thought "wow, I don't know about having that line out there." I like Lindy 99% of the time, but that one was in that last 1%.

Well played. We had chances all through the first period and couldn't score. We don't have anyone who can score like Spezza on a regular basis. That said, we shouldn't see the 4th line on the ice with a minute to go in the third. I know it's been said before, but come on. WTF?

On another note, I'll take losses to the Sens all year if it means beating them in the playoffs...when it really counts.

You could have said that about almost everyone on our team in the first period when we were carrying the play. That is what's so frustrating right now... we dominate play at times but no one can seem to find the back of the net during those stretches, we give up a goal, and the momentum swings.

Reminds me of last year and the year before.

I don't know what it was about last night's game, but I woke up this morning just as pissed off as I was last night when I posted my game thoughts.

As much as I liked what Sekera did last night(had a couple of nice hits and scored a goal), WTF was he thinking on the GWG? As Alfie was scoring the goal, into the picture comes Sekera.

I'd really like to see Weber get a shot up here after the Olympic break. This blueline group is playing nowhere near the level they were at earlier this season. Lydman is struggling. Montador even more so than Lydman. Rivet is skating around like a 50 year old. Butler handles the puck like it is a hand grenade. Tallinder is playing well(for now) and a 20 year old is your main stay on the blueline and you have no idea how he is going to handle the playoff pressure when his teammates are falling apart.

The Sabres should have won the game 4-2 with an empty net goal at the end...not the Senators. They had them on the ropes AT HOME and let them come back to deliver the knockout punch.

I don't know what it was about last night's game, but I woke up this morning just as pissed off as I was last night when I posted my game thoughts.

As much as I liked what Sekera did last night(had a couple of nice hits and scored a goal), WTF was he thinking on the GWG? As Alfie was scoring the goal, into the picture comes Sekera.

I'd really like to see Weber get a shot up here after the Olympic break. This blueline group is playing nowhere near the level they were at earlier this season. Lydman is struggling. Montador even more so than Lydman. Rivet is skating around like a 50 year old. Butler handles the puck like it is a hand grenade. Tallinder is playing well(for now) and a 20 year old is your main stay on the blueline and you have no idea how he is going to handle the playoff pressure when his teammates are falling apart.

The Sabres should have won the game 4-2 with an empty net goal at the end...not the Senators. They had them on the ropes AT HOME and let them come back to deliver the knockout punch.

I couldn't have said it any better myself. I woke up this morning, and didn't say a word until after I was at work for almost an hour. Even now, it is all I am thinking about....

I don't either, but why is he out there against Ottawa's #1 line? There's rewarding hard work and being delusional.

Because he wasn't? :blink:

The Kennedy line was out there against the Fisher line. Alfie walked in from the bench right to the front of the net and no Sabre picked him up.

Actually, that was Kennedy coming into the picture. Sekera got sucked high away from the slot as Fisher carried the puck towards the Sabres' blueline prior to passing it to Karlsson. Kennedy realized Alfie was walking in too late (he reacted about the time Karlsson saw him).

Sekera had no idea that anyone was in front of the net as he had been w/ Fisher from down below the Sabres' goalline.

:thumbsup:

We don't lose to Ottawa because of Neil or Ruutu. We lose to Ottawa because of Alffy and Spezza. For some reason, if there is a true #1 line on the other team, that line ALWAYS scores against the Sabres. More importantly the #1 player scores. Our shut out of Washington this year is the only time I can think of when that didn't happen.

Atl - Kovy

Pit - Crosby

Wash - OV

Tampa - Vinny

Rags - Gaborik

There's are more but I need more coffee to remember. When ever we play these teams, these players score.

Stop Alffy and Spezza, win the game.

Well that didn't go so well.

Alredsson has 76 points in 74 games liftime against the Sabres.

Spezza has 50 points in 38 games lifetime against the Sabres.

Not to belabor the point (well, actually, to belabor the point), after twelve years, Kennedy and Mair is what Lindy came up with to stop them?

Really?

Looking at that goal again, I'd blame Kennedy more than Sekera. Alfie came in late and should have been picked up by Kennedy. He wasn't. He skates from the bench all the way to the goal line, right past Kennedy. "We lost coverage".

Spezza's second goal I'd put on Sekera. You can't give the puck away at center ice to Spezza.:doh:

Archived