GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

end the curse

Because he wasn't? :blink:

The Kennedy line was out there against the Fisher line. Alfie walked in from the bench right to the front of the net and no Sabre picked him up.

Actually, that was Kennedy coming into the picture. Sekera got sucked high away from the slot as Fisher carried the puck towards the Sabres' blueline prior to passing it to Karlsson. Kennedy realized Alfie was walking in too late (he reacted about the time Karlsson saw him).

Sekera had no idea that anyone was in front of the net as he had been w/ Fisher from down below the Sabres' goalline.

Sekera also came into the picture as the goal was being scored. He shouldn't be following forwards all over the ice with one minute to go. Pay attention to the front of the net and leave the rest to the forwards.

Well that didn't go so well.

Alredsson has 76 points in 74 games liftime against the Sabres.

Spezza has 50 points in 38 games lifetime against the Sabres.

Not to belabor the point (well, actually, to belabor the point), after twelve years, Kennedy and Mair is what Lindy came up with to stop them?

Really?

Once again the Sens big guns show up, and the Sabres "big guns" do not.

Result - Another Sabres loss.

This team needs a shutdown line, BAD.

Whether it's on Lindy for not recognising this and selling it to the GM, or whether it's on Darcy for building a roster that can best be described as "vanilla", I don't know. All I know is this team is going nowhere come playoff time unless they either :

a. Sign a true centerman playmaker or scorer who can win draws.

b. Sign a true shutdown centerman who can win draws.

Two months ago the pattern was the same, only Miller would've stopped either Spezza or Alfie, and we wouldn't have had this conversation.

The defense, mental lapses and mistakes aside, are carrying their own weight. Some more than others. The true problem with the defense is our forwards and their inability to cover for the d-men when they move up on the play, or shadow opponents in their own zone.

When those same forwards can't put the game away when they're up by two, or dominating a game on home ice, they'd better be a DAMN sight better when the play goes the other way.

I'm still fuming.

Sekera also came into the picture as the goal was being scored. He shouldn't be following forwards all over the ice with one minute to go. Pay attention to the front of the net and leave the rest to the forwards.

So, you would rather have 2 wide open Sens (Fisher AND Alfie) rather than 1 wide open one? Which is pretty much what you would have had if Sekera peeled off after Fisher went above the faceoff dot.

When Sekera made the play, there were only 2 forwards in the zone; Winchester was already heading to the bench. Sekera knew that Kennedy was there to help cover the front of the net. Butler was covering Kelly who had been tied up w/ Kennedy behind the net when Sekera took Fisher. Would you have preferred Sekera peel off Fisher and stand in front of Miller hoping to block Fisher's shot/screen Miller?

Again, Alfie wasn't even on the ice when Sekera picked up Fisher.

That goal was on Kennedy.

I say the same thing after every Ottawa game. Their goalie NEVER has an off night against Buffalo. It's totally frustrating. They could start the lowest ranked goalie in the AHL and he'd still hold us to 2 goals or less. I thought the Sabres played a pretty decent game against these guys. At least they weren't dominated like usual. Miller is gonna have to shut the Sens out in order to end this losing streak.

IMO, the Sabres are missing something. They will have to pull off a trade deadline deal to even be a factor in the East playoff race. Not sure what that is? but i don't see them beating Wash, Pitt or even Ottawa in any playoff series. Miller is coming back to earth.

So, you would rather have 2 wide open Sens (Fisher AND Alfie) rather than 1 wide open one? Which is pretty much what you would have had if Sekera peeled off after Fisher went above the faceoff dot.

When Sekera made the play, there were only 2 forwards in the zone; Winchester was already heading to the bench. Sekera knew that Kennedy was there to help cover the front of the net. Butler was covering Kelly who had been tied up w/ Kennedy behind the net when Sekera took Fisher. Would you have preferred Sekera peel off Fisher and stand in front of Miller hoping to block Fisher's shot/screen Miller?

Again, Alfie wasn't even on the ice when Sekera picked up Fisher.

That goal was on Kennedy.

Agree.

Why Lindy has a recently scratched rookie on the ice for the final minute is beyond me though.

I'm all for the "vote of confidence" etc., but there are situations when this just shouldn't apply.

Tied 2-2 at home with a team that's in your heads like no other team in the league, is not the time to show the rookie how much faith you have in him, especially since he'd already been on the ice for 2 goals against.

Lindy deserves his share of the blame on this.

At this point I'm still so furious that only a 4+ goal whoopin' of the Hurricanes can take some of the sting away.

Does anyone know what the last couple of shifts were before the debacle? In other words, had Grier's line just come off the ice? I would think the first choice for the closeout situation would be Grier's line, followed by TC's line. Just wondering whether those 2 lines were gassed.

How would two players have been wide open if Sekera stayed home and covered Alfie? Which guy would have been more dangerous? The guy next to the goal post or one above the faceoff dot? I realize that Kennedy also had his head up his ass on the play, but I don't think that excuses Sekera from wandering.

Just to clear up one thing about Lindy putting the fourth line out there against the Sens' top line for the game-winner ... it's just not true. Watch the game highlights ... they are out against the Kelly-Fisher line and Alfredsson comes off the bench. He even says in the AP game story that he came off the bench and got kind of lost, probably because Sekera stayed on Fisher all the way up the boards and Alfredsson went right to the spot next to the net where he would normally be. It's Kennedy's ###### up, he gets caught staring at Fisher and gliding toward him even though Sekera is all over him while Alfredsson skates right behind him into the slot.

The regulars know I am the one of the last to panic or give up on a team, but I think we are seeing what this team really is ... a good team, better than the last two years, but not a true contender. As far as I am concerned, they do NOT need to go out and try to fix that before the playoffs with a rental or two ... because whatever they do will likely not be enough for a real Cup run anyway, and they'd be giving away assets. That's not to say they should not make any moves, just that they have to make sense for next season, too, when maybe they can be a real contnder. Lydman should be moved for whatever they can get, even if it is just a draft pick ... no point letting him play out his deal. They are going to make the playoffs and it would not hurt to have Sekera or even Weber get some playoff experience. I may even see what Tallinder can bring back ... He's been great with Myers but unless you can ink him to a reasonable extension, he's probably gone anyway. Maybe find Myers his new partner now and get a jump on next season ...

I am not saying they need to be total sellers at the deadline and submarine this season, but it might be a good time to take advantage of some desperate teams and try to get help not only for this season but going forward. I understand the theory that Miller is having a great year and this is their window, but the rest of them are not good enough, and the safest bet they have going forward is Miller. Keep building it around him and bet on him staying in his prime rather than assuming he is just having one great year.

Does anyone know what the last couple of shifts were before the debacle? In other words, had Grier's line just come off the ice? I would think the first choice for the closeout situation would be Grier's line, followed by TC's line. Just wondering whether those 2 lines were gassed.

Looks like Grier and Gaustad should have been good to go ... according to the TOI report, Grier ended his previous shift with 3:36 left, while gaustad had come off at 3:48 ...

All that said, we'd still have to watch the entire shift again to see how it went down ... Kennedy was out there for almost a minute when the goal was scored and Alfredsson came off the bench late ... with Ottawa attacking, it's not like the Sabres could all go to the bench to get different guys out there ... the last whistle was with 5:03 left .... four minutes without a whistle, matching lines kind of becomes a crapshoot. But no, Goose and Grier were not gassed ... just trapped on the bench waiting to jump on.

I say the same thing after every Ottawa game. Their goalie NEVER has an off night against Buffalo. It's totally frustrating. They could start the lowest ranked goalie in the AHL and he'd still hold us to 2 goals or less. I thought the Sabres played a pretty decent game against these guys. At least they weren't dominated like usual. Miller is gonna have to shut the Sens out in order to end this losing streak.

I thought Elliot was awful yesterday. If the Sabres had been able to pounce on a few rebounds, they score 5-6.

Looks like Grier and Gaustad should have been good to go ... according to the TOI report, Grier ended his previous shift with 3:36 left, while gaustad had come off at 3:48 ...

All that said, we'd still have to watch the entire shift again to see how it went down ... Kennedy was out there for almost a minute when the goal was scored and Alfredsson came off the bench late ... with Ottawa attacking, it's not like the Sabres could all go to the bench to get different guys out there ... the last whistle was with 5:03 left .... four minutes without a whistle, matching lines kind of becomes a crapshoot. But no, Goose and Grier were not gassed ... just trapped on the bench waiting to jump on.

Why was Kennedy out there at all in the last five minutes?

Here goes:

2:00 left Pominville, Connolly, Hecht, Sekera, Tallinder all on against the Kovalev line step off the ice.

On come Kennedy, Mair, Ellis, Butler and Myers

Ottawa sends out Fisher, Winchester and Kelly

Ellis takes it out of the zone on the wall. Mair going up center ice, Kennedy following Ellis looking for the drop pass at the blueline. Instead, Ellis fires it at the net, misses. Mair goes to get it, with Kennedy on the other side of the ice, defense changing, there's no one at the point to hold it in. (see note below) Kennedy and Mair couldn't change. They're all the way on the other side of the ice chasing Sens up the ice.

1:10 left Ellis gets a chance to change, Mac steps on the ice. (I assume Lindy wanted to get Grier and Goose out there but couldn't)

Myers steps off and Sekera's back on

On the rush up the ice Winchester steps off and on comes Alfie.

IMO, if Ellis gives the drop pass to Kennedy and Kennedy gets it through to Mair (he was not covered in the slot) we get a shot on goal, a stoppage, or at least a line change.

Here goes:

2:00 left Pominville, Connolly, Hecht, Sekera, Tallinder all on against the Kovalev line step off the ice.

:blink: :blink: :blink:

I really hope that TW is right and this is just Lindy forcing DR's hand. Otherwise,

Why was Kennedy out there at all in the last five minutes?

I hear ya ... Lindy seemed to be coaching it like any other game, roll 4 lines when there are no stoppages to set up matchups ... in the playoffs I bet he shortens his bench, and I can definitely see where one could argue this needed to be played like a playoff game at the end. But ...

Here goes:

Ellis takes it out of the zone on the wall. Mair going up center ice, Kennedy following Ellis looking for the drop pass at the blueline. Instead, Ellis fires it at the net, misses. Mair goes to get it, with Kennedy on the other side of the ice, defense changing, there's no one at the point to hold it in. (see note below) Kennedy and Mair couldn't change. They're all the way on the other side of the ice chasing Sens up the ice.

1:10 left Ellis gets a chance to change, Mac steps on the ice. (I assume Lindy wanted to get Grier and Goose out there but couldn't)

Myers steps off and Sekera's back on

On the rush up the ice Winchester steps off and on comes Alfie.

IMO, if Ellis gives the drop pass to Kennedy and Kennedy gets it through to Mair (he was not covered in the slot) we get a shot on goal, a stoppage, or at least a line change.

... even if there is someone other than Kennedy out there, the way that play went down with Alfie coming off the bench ... the result may have been the same.

And while you may be right about Ellis passing instead of shooting ...in the last two minutes of a tie game, I do not want anyone making drop passes ... and it's also possible he heard the bench yelling for the D to change, so he wanted to get it deep ... if he turns it over trying a drop pass with the D changing, we'd be screaming for his head, and rightfully so.

As far as I am concerned, they do NOT need to go out and try to fix that before the playoffs with a rental or two ... because whatever they do will likely not be enough for a real Cup run anyway, and they'd be giving away assets.

You are preaching to the choir! :thumbsup:

Just to clear up one thing about Lindy putting the fourth line out there against the Sens' top line for the game-winner ... it's just not true.

IMO, it's not a question of the 4th line being matched against Ottawa's top players, it is a question of why the 4th line was out there AT ALL at that point in the game?

I really hope that TW is right and this is just Lindy forcing DR's hand. Otherwise,

Even if that were so, we all know how well that's worked in the past.

This is ridiculous - I don't mind losing, but losing like this against THAT team makes me wanna go put my hand through a wall.

Ridiculous because it means nothing in April (hopefully), but I can't help feeling furious that the Sabres just can't finish these assclowns off, and I'm furious that our "top" guys miss chance after chance after chance, and their top guys only need three chances to score three goals.

God, and we have to endure this crap two more times this season :wallbash:

I think we are seeing what this team really is ... a good team, better than the last two years, but not a true contender. As far as I am concerned, they do NOT need to go out and try to fix that before the playoffs with a rental or two ... because whatever they do will likely not be enough for a real Cup run anyway, and they'd be giving away assets. That's not to say they should not make any moves, just that they have to make sense for next season, too, when maybe they can be a real contnder. Lydman should be moved for whatever they can get, even if it is just a draft pick ... no point letting him play out his deal. They are going to make the playoffs and it would not hurt to have Sekera or even Weber get some playoff experience. I may even see what Tallinder can bring back ... He's been great with Myers but unless you can ink him to a reasonable extension, he's probably gone anyway. Maybe find Myers his new partner now and get a jump on next season ...

I am not saying they need to be total sellers at the deadline and submarine this season, but it might be a good time to take advantage of some desperate teams and try to get help not only for this season but going forward. I understand the theory that Miller is having a great year and this is their window, but the rest of them are not good enough, and the safest bet they have going forward is Miller. Keep building it around him and bet on him staying in his prime rather than assuming he is just having one great year.

This has the ring of truth.

their top guys only need three chances to score three goals.

Their top guys are simply better than the Sabres' top guys. Spezza and Alfie are both elite NHL scorers. Vanek was supposed to be that guy for the Sabres but he's not, at least not now. Pommer isn't even in the same ballpark. TC continues to play well, but he's not good enough to be the best forward on a true contender. For the Sabres to be a true contender, Vanek has to be an elite finisher. He's not there now, but he's the only guy on the roster who has a chance of getting there -- which is why trading him would be crazy.

Archived