GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

end the curse

Their top guys are simply better than the Sabres' top guys. Spezza and Alfie are both elite NHL scorers. Vanek was supposed to be that guy for the Sabres but he's not, at least not now. Pommer isn't even in the same ballpark. TC continues to play well, but he's not good enough to be the best forward on a true contender. For the Sabres to be a true contender, Vanek has to be an elite finisher. He's not there now, but he's the only guy on the roster who has a chance of getting there -- which is why trading him would be crazy.

This has nothing to do with which players are better. There is some sort of mental blcok when it comes to Ottawa. The majority of the roster is reduced to bumbling idiots when these teams play each other. Personally, I wish it was possible to have the Pirates play them next time because they'd have just as much of a chance at victory as the Sabres do.

This has nothing to do with which players are better. There is some sort of mental blcok when it comes to Ottawa. The majority of the roster is reduced to bumbling idiots when these teams play each other. Personally, I wish it was possible to have the Pirates play them next time because they'd have just as much of a chance at victory as the Sabres do.

Agreed, The past few years Buffalo has played poorly against the Sens in the regular season.

Agreed, The past few years Buffalo has played poorly against the Sens in the regular season.

There was one little deviation from the pre-game script last night and that was when Vanek punched Ruutu in the face. Thinks actually looked very different for the next minute, but then they returned to form as the powerplay fell flat on its face.

I thought the Sabres played a pretty good game last night overall. The PP was OK but not great, and the 4th line really underperformed, but they still played a pretty solid team game against Ottawa, which looks like a very good, well-rounded and well-coached team right now. I don't think it's accurate to say that the majority of the Sabres played lousy.

I thought the Sabres played a pretty good game last night overall. The PP was OK but not great, and the 4th line really underperformed, but they still played a pretty solid team game against Ottawa, which looks like a very good, well-rounded and well-coached team right now. I don't think it's accurate to say that the majority of the Sabres played lousy.

It's funny that you mention the 4th line because it has become very clear to me that Adam Mair has become the face of the Ottawa struggles. It's pathetic that he's the face of anything, but more than anyone else on this team, they're in his head.

Yet another reason Lindy should've kept them on the bench late in the 3rd.

I'm sorry, I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but if he's going to come out afterwards and talk about how "they're finding ways to lose games", he should at least admit he messed up by not shortening his bench.

I can't believe nobody asked him why he still rolled four lines late in a game such as this.

Oh well, can't be bothered with Ottawa anymore, there'll be plenty of time for that as they still need to beat us twice this season.

Bring on the 'Canes and please let's put a hurtin' on them.

Yet another reason Lindy should've kept them on the bench late in the 3rd.

I'm sorry, I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but if he's going to come out afterwards and talk about how "they're finding ways to lose games", he should at least admit he messed up by not shortening his bench.

I can't believe nobody asked him why he still rolled four lines late in a game such as this.

Oh well, can't be bothered with Ottawa anymore, there'll be plenty of time for that as they still need to beat us twice this season.

Bring on the 'Canes and please let's put a hurtin' on them.

Wait, don't misquote the guy ... the quote I saw said "“We battled hard in the third to get back in it,” Sabres coach Lindy Ruff said. “The best description is we just found another way to lose a game.”

Granted, he didn't take it all on his shoulders, but he didn't say "THEY'RE finding ways to lose" either. He may have ###### up the game but do not make it like he threw his team under the bus on top of it.

Here goes:

2:00 left Pominville, Connolly, Hecht, Sekera, Tallinder all on against the Kovalev line step off the ice.

On come Kennedy, Mair, Ellis, Butler and Myers

Ottawa sends out Fisher, Winchester and Kelly

Ellis takes it out of the zone on the wall. Mair going up center ice, Kennedy following Ellis looking for the drop pass at the blueline. Instead, Ellis fires it at the net, misses. Mair goes to get it, with Kennedy on the other side of the ice, defense changing, there's no one at the point to hold it in. (see note below) Kennedy and Mair couldn't change. They're all the way on the other side of the ice chasing Sens up the ice.

1:10 left Ellis gets a chance to change, Mac steps on the ice. (I assume Lindy wanted to get Grier and Goose out there but couldn't)

Myers steps off and Sekera's back on

On the rush up the ice Winchester steps off and on comes Alfie.

IMO, if Ellis gives the drop pass to Kennedy and Kennedy gets it through to Mair (he was not covered in the slot) we get a shot on goal, a stoppage, or at least a line change.

Nice post.

I think if we replaced the bolded part with "Kennedy goes off, Goose steps on" it would have been a different story. Also, how does Kennedy, playing left wing, get caught up on the right side of the net, with MacArthur, also a LW at the point? Mac should've been on the bench with Grier out there and Kennedy should've changed instead of joining the rush, allowing Goose to come out.

You would have had Mair (caught chasing) Goose, Grier with one minute left.

Wait, don't misquote the guy ... the quote I saw said "“We battled hard in the third to get back in it,” Sabres coach Lindy Ruff said. “The best description is we just found another way to lose a game.”

Granted, he didn't take it all on his shoulders, but he didn't say "THEY'RE finding ways to lose" either. He may have ###### up the game but do not make it like he threw his team under the bus on top of it.

You're right, and FWIW with the quote "they're finding ways", I meant the Sabres (they, Lindy and the players) not Lindy shifting blame on the team. He would never come out and critisize the team in such a manner, absolving himself from any blame.

I think It's still a fair point though. I do think he could've come out and said something along the lines of "some of this falls on me", or something.

I feel that while he may be saying "we", I doubt there were many "we's" in the locker room after the game, but a whole lot of "you's" instead.

That's all I'm saying, and I should've been more clear about it.

You're right, and FWIW with the quote "they're finding ways", I meant the Sabres (they, Lindy and the players) not Lindy shifting blame on the team. He would never come out and critisize the team in such a manner, absolving himself from any blame.

I think It's still a fair point though. I do think he could've come out and said something along the lines of "some of this falls on me", or something.

I feel that while he may be saying "we", I doubt there were many "we's" in the locker room after the game, but a whole lot of "you's" instead.

That's all I'm saying, and I should've been more clear about it.

The Catch-22 of him saying "it's on me" is that what he is also saying is "my fourth line sucks and I should not have put them out there" ... which is what you are trying to avoid, at least publicly. That's how you lose guys. As you say, in the locker room you call out the guys that ###### up. You tell Kennedy behind closed doors how he messed up. We are going to be ticked off either way, no point Lindy trying to make us feel better.

The Catch-22 of him saying "it's on me" is that what he is also saying is "my fourth line sucks and I should not have put them out there" ... which is what you are trying to avoid, at least publicly. That's how you lose guys. As you say, in the locker room you call out the guys that ###### up. You tell Kennedy behind closed doors how he messed up. We are going to be ticked off either way, no point Lindy trying to make us feel better.

While I do see your point, I still ask myself why that's a problem?

Most people agree you don't play your 4th line in the dying minutes of important game with the score tied, unless you absolutely have to. It's pretty basic tactics, that most every coach recognises.

And surely the 4th liners know they're on the 4th line for a reason? That reason is usually one of two : You're not working hard enough, or there are better players than you on the team.

Anyways, my point is moot - Our own stupid mistakes cost us an otherwise good game,

While I do see your point, I still ask myself why that's a problem?

Most people agree you don't play your 4th line in the dying minutes of important game with the score tied, unless you absolutely have to. It's pretty basic tactics, that most every coach recognises.

And surely the 4th liners know they're on the 4th line for a reason? That reason is usually one of two : You're not working hard enough, or there are better players than you on the team.

Anyways, my point is moot - Our own stupid mistakes cost us an otherwise good game,

If I have Lindy figured out well enough, then he was playing for OT. We don't have a true checking line, so he played a line that is known for puck possession. What do those guys do well? They work really, really hard and are good at holding the puck in the opposition's zone. So, he put them out hoping that they'd get it in deep, work the boards for 30 seconds and then step off when the other team finally gets it out. It definitely did not work out that way. Personally, I would have swapped Grier for Mair. Mair is a little more energy and little less work the boards. Kennedy, Ellis and Grier work the boards like nobody else on the team.

Of course, it was Ottawa, so no matter who was out there, somehow, some way, Alfredsson or Spezza was going to get a gift goal to sink their ship. :death:

How would two players have been wide open if Sekera stayed home and covered Alfie?

How, because Fisher would have had the puck on his stick and been wide open at the top of the faceoff circle, and Alfie would have been open in the high slot about 1 1/2 second later as he came in alone as well.

Which guy would have been more dangerous?

The guy in the zone w/ the puck on his stick.

The guy next to the goal post or one above the faceoff dot? I realize that Kennedy also had his head up his ass on the play, but I don't think that excuses Sekera from wandering.

When Sekera went "wandering", there were only 2 forwards in the zone and the other one was being watched by Kennedy and Butler. Again, maybe it would have been better for Sekera to let Fisher get a clean shot off through a Sekera screen? You might believe that, but I don't have a problem w/ Sekera staying w/ the puck carrier. He forced Fisher to send the puck to the far point (which was covered by Mac) so he kept the puck out to the perimeter. After he did that, he was hustling back to help Kennedy out in front of the net. Unfortunately, Kennedy had an "oh, #%^$#!" moment and Sekera couldn't get back.

If you are correct and the play was on Sekera, don't you think that Lindy might have had him come off the ice sometime before the game ended?

How, because Fisher would have had the puck on his stick and been wide open at the top of the faceoff circle, and Alfie would have been open in the high slot about 1 1/2 second later as he came in alone as well.

The guy in the zone w/ the puck on his stick.

When Sekera went "wandering", there were only 2 forwards in the zone and the other one was being watched by Kennedy and Butler. Again, maybe it would have been better for Sekera to let Fisher get a clean shot off through a Sekera screen? You might believe that, but I don't have a problem w/ Sekera staying w/ the puck carrier. He forced Fisher to send the puck to the far point (which was covered by Mac) so he kept the puck out to the perimeter. After he did that, he was hustling back to help Kennedy out in front of the net. Unfortunately, Kennedy had an "oh, #%^$#!" moment and Sekera couldn't get back.

If you are correct and the play was on Sekera, don't you think that Lindy might have had him come off the ice sometime before the game ended?

I'll raise the white flag, Taro. A combination of the wrong players on the ice and crappy defensive zone coverage allowed for the GWG.

Tim Kennedy -3. Ugh.......

More reason why we must make a trade. I don't think Kennedy is a bad player, in fact, i think he was very valuable to the Sabres for majority of this season. But, the 5 or so games prior to the 7-game away trip, I thought Kennedy looked tired and lost, like he just ran out of gas. It happens with young players with such limited experience in the AHL level. Kennedy should be in the press box for a while and just work with the team. He's a liability right now when he's on the ice. I just hope that Regier doesn't look at the Olympic break as a big plus for the Sabres who can allow Butler, Myers, Kennedy and some other guys who just seem out of it, to get rest and return early March like they were 2 months ago. It won't happen.

They need a 3rd line center ASAP.

- The poor reaction after the Phillips hit on Miller was expected. I give Myers credit for sticking his nose in there(unlike the rest of his teammates), but the correct reaction was to skate at Phillips about 100MPH with both fists flying by anyone/everyone on the ice. What an embarrassment.

Seriously - a hit like that on most other teams' goalies would result in a fight - for certain teams (Philly, Ottawa), a brawl would result. One begins to wonder how well-liked Miller is in the locker room if his own team mates will let him take a shot like that and just stand around. Pitiful. If I was Miller, I'd be in Darcy's office asking for a trade post haste.... :pirate:

This is actually my first time posting on this board, but this has been bothering me all day. For those who watched the game on TV, can someone explain why there was no overhead angle for the no-goal they were reviewing in the first period of the sabres, and Harry and Rick were mentioning that they need to invest in an overhead camera. But when Spezza scored his 2nd goal in the 3rd period there was a overhead angle for that in which they were showing because the puck bounced out so quickly. Do they only have it in one end of the ice, or am I missing something?

Would you like to try and win that Bernier money back?

Here's my offer....

I see in a previous post on this thread you feel the Sabres will either elevate their game or a move will be made to enhance the team.....and the Sabres will go on to win one or two playoff rounds because Ruff and Miller are at their best in the spring.

I say Ruff has never learned how to handle the 162 lb. Mr Olympia.....and Miller is already showing signs of being overworked, and is losing focus. An extra 4-6 games in the Olympics on top of the 68-73 regular season games spells DISASTER in the playoffs. Not to mention if Miller stinks up the joint in Vancouver, he will probably crack early in his return. If he does well....a game every other night for 2 months plus the playoffs should do it as well.

So....I propose a series of 3 bets....$50 each, with the balance going to charity of winner's choice once again.

Bet #1) I wager the Sabres WILL NOT win their division

Bet #2) I wager the Sabres WILL NOT win one playoff round

Bet #3) I wager the Sabres WILL NOT win two playoff rounds

It is a package deal....all or none. It would take a small miracle for Boston or Montreal to jump back in this so it is basicaly Ottawa vs Buffalo with the Sabres ahead by 3-7 points with 25 to play.

I have a feeling it could be an extremely painful end to the season as Buffalo might be up 4 or 5 points with 6 games left and could completely collapse. If Buffalo does hang on...they should get a good matchup in the 1st round and you have a good shot at making money. If they lose the division....they open in Pitt or NJ. Good luck with that.

I'm game if you are.....

Sorry, I just saw this. I'm in although I would add one proviso. An extra $50 from you if the Sabres win the division by double digits and an extra $50 from me if the Sabrees get swept in the first round.

This is actually my first time posting on this board, but this has been bothering me all day. For those who watched the game on TV, can someone explain why there was no overhead angle for the no-goal they were reviewing in the first period of the sabres, and Harry and Rick were mentioning that they need to invest in an overhead camera. But when Spezza scored his 2nd goal in the 3rd period there was a overhead angle for that in which they were showing because the puck bounced out so quickly. Do they only have it in one end of the ice, or am I missing something?

From the Buffalo News Sabres notebook today ...

"There was no overhead camera shot and Sabres officials said that's because the HD camera above the goal line has been inoperative for several months.

The team said the camera is NHL property and has not been repaired as the Sabres have requested. An analog camera that does not feed into the television broadcast was reviewed."

Does anyone know what the last couple of shifts were before the debacle? In other words, had Grier's line just come off the ice? I would think the first choice for the closeout situation would be Grier's line, followed by TC's line. Just wondering whether those 2 lines were gassed.

You know, you can look these things up. :) Sorry, couldn't resist.

What perplexes me is why Kennedy and Mair didn't change when Ellis did.

Kennedy and Mair got caught out for almost a minute.

You know, you can look these things up. smile.gif Sorry, couldn't resist.

What perplexes me is why Kennedy and Mair didn't change when Ellis did.

Kennedy and Mair got caught out for almost a minute.

Because they were on the other side of the ice ... if they had peeled off it would have been a 4-on-2, basically ... not that the result was any better.

Seriously - a hit like that on most other teams' goalies would result in a fight - for certain teams (Philly, Ottawa), a brawl would result. One begins to wonder how well-liked Miller is in the locker room if his own team mates will let him take a shot like that and just stand around. Pitiful. If I was Miller, I'd be in Darcy's office asking for a trade post haste.... :pirate:

I don't know,

It was a sign of a young Rookie stepping into a leadership role in my opinion and Miller was probably more on the lines of I'm really starting to like this big Tyler Myers fella that's got my back.

From the Buffalo News Sabres notebook today ...

"There was no overhead camera shot and Sabres officials said that's because the HD camera above the goal line has been inoperative for several months.

The team said the camera is NHL property and has not been repaired as the Sabres have requested. An analog camera that does not feed into the television broadcast was reviewed."

It wouldn't have mattered anyway. Until they find a way to mount a camera inside the crossbar and give a true overhead angle, close reviews like that one will always be inconclusive.

Because they were on the other side of the ice ... if they had peeled off it would have been a 4-on-2, basically ... not that the result was any better.

With 1:20 left Ellis chipped it in and chased, followed by Mair and Kennedy. It had already been about a 35 second shift. I don't know why Ruff wouldn't have whistled or hollered for a change there.

Archived