GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

end the curse

[media=200,25]

[/media]

Sometimes we watch NHL hockey to appreciate the skill and speed of the league's top players. Other times we tune in to see the tough, physical play of the game's bruisers. Most of the time we're watching because of the points race for the playoffs. This is the motivation of the typical NHL hockey fan for at least 95% of the games each year.

However, every now and then a game comes around that transcends all of the normal motives, and becomes something much, much bigger. Something larger than the divisional standings or the appreciation of the skills of the players, and even bigger than the playoff race itself.

Sometimes it's about vengeance, respect and redemption. This game is such a match.

The Sabres have been humiliated, beaten and dominated by Ottawa so thoroughly, so completely, on so many levels, for so long, this "game" has morphed into a contest of reclaiming manhood, demonstrating courage in the face of our perpetual antagonist, and overcoming epic defeats and traumatic physical poundings.

The Senators walk in with the swagger of a team that has imposed their will upon the Sabres, beaten our minds as well as our bodies, and left us staggering in the clutches of a defeatist complex whose vice-grip refuses to budge an inch.

I don't need to tell you about how many times they've beaten us in a row, how lopsided the series record has become, or specifically cite the countless beatings and cheap shots they've meted out over the years. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it. It's not about "who's hot and who's not", "goals against average", or "special teams" as we approach this night. Chuck all of those stats out the window, for none of it matters anymore when we face them.

The time is now for us to to arise and crush our wretched nemesis. May we be blessed on this night, at long last, after suffering for seemingly an eternity of defeat and despair, to walk the walk of ruthless retribution, and imbibe drunkenly in the sweetness of victory in battle over mother#%^$#!ing Ottawa.

Amen.

[media=200,25]

[/media]

Sometimes we watch NHL hockey to appreciate the skill and speed of the league's top players. Other times we tune in to see the tough, physical play of the game's bruisers. Most of the time we're watching because of the points race for the playoffs. This is the motivation of the typical NHL hockey fan for at least 95% of the games each year.

However, every now and then a game comes around that transcends all of the normal motives, and becomes something much, much bigger. Something larger than the divisional standings or the appreciation of the skills of the players, and even bigger than the playoff race itself.

Sometimes it's about vengeance, respect and redemption. This game is such a match.

The Sabres have been humiliated, beaten and dominated by Ottawa so thoroughly, so completely, on so many levels, for so long, this "game" has morphed into a contest of reclaiming manhood, demonstrating courage in the face of our perpetual antagonist, and overcoming epic defeats and traumatic physical poundings.

The Senators walk in with the swagger of a team that has imposed their will upon the Sabres, beaten our minds as well as our bodies, and left us staggering in the clutches of a defeatist complex whose vice-grip refuses to budge an inch.

I don't need to tell you about how many times they've beaten us in a row, how lopsided the series record has become, or specifically cite the countless beatings and cheap shots they've meted out over the years. You know it, I know it, everyone knows it. It's not about "who's hot and who's not", "goals against average", or "special teams" as we approach this night. Chuck all of those stats out the window, for none of it matters anymore when we face them.

The time is now for us to to arise and crush our wretched nemesis. May we be blessed on this night, at long last, after suffering for seemingly an eternity of defeat and despair, to walk the walk of ruthless retribution, and imbibe drunkenly in the sweetness of victory in battle over mother#%^$#!ing Ottawa.

Amen.

A win against Ottawa would sure help ease the pain of one of the few, bad Miller games. And last night was a night when the names on our side of the scoresheet had all of the right guy's names on it!

[media=200,25]

[/media]

Amen.

You should post while sober more often. :thumbsup:

I don't have the stats in front of me, but it seems like the Ottawa goalie never has an "off" night against Buffalo. Whoever it is... is always ON. Can we get a break here? The Sens have been awesome defensively over the past 9 games so it makes too much illogical sense that the Sabres beat them tomorrow night.

That being said, Buffalo imo, has been all about Miller. We seem to get outplayed at home more often than not and win b/c Miller is the best goalie on the ice. That worries me. We better not come out and get outshot 18-3 again the the 1st period. I feel like Buffalo always let's Ottawa dictate when they play each other.

[media=200,25]

[/media]

Amen.

Kings and queens and guillotines...

The Ottawans are practically begging to face the Sabres in the playoffs.

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=726785

Can you blame them?

I'm begging NOT to meet the Sens.

Not because they're particularly good, The Sabres just seem to think they can skate and trade chances with them every damn freakin' time they play, and end up getting buried because the Sens' top line delivers and ours doesn't.

Except a win wouldn't put an end to anything.

I beg to differ. Ottawa has long been our nightmare nemesis, and beating them would be unbelievably huge for our team and our fans. I know you enjoy playing up the contrarian persona, but surely you can at least agree to this much, can't you?

I think the "it" he was referring to was Ottawa's win streak. The "situation" being r losing streak vs. Ottawa. Good to see us set the record straight and good to see them stop winning.

I dunno. I took the "situation" as Ottawa's streak and "it" as Ottawa's near-domination of the Sabres in recent years.

I beg to differ. Ottawa has long been our nightmare nemesis, and beating them would be unbelievably huge for our team and our fans. I know you enjoy playing up the contrarian persona, but surely you can at least agree to this much, can't you?

You think a win on Wednesday night would put an end to the Senators' domination of the Sabres? I don't get that.

I think it would be bigger for the fans -- I wouldn't say unbelievably huge though. I don't see the Sabres coming into the lockerroom after a win over the Senators and hootin' and hollerin', dancing a jig and popping champagne.

Meh (always wanted to use that one). The teams have split playoff series since the lockout. The teams are pretty even, almost mirror images of one another in many ways. The playoff rubber match this spring? I have no doubt Buffalo would take it.

I don't get my panties in a wad over Ottawa's recent regular season success. Sorry.

You think a win on Wednesday night would put an end to the Senators' domination of the Sabres? I don't get that.

I think it would be bigger for the fans -- I wouldn't say unbelievably huge though. I don't see the Sabres coming into the lockerroom after a win over the Senators and hootin' and hollerin', dancing a jig and popping champagne.

Meh (always wanted to use that one). The teams have split playoff series since the lockout. The teams are pretty even, almost mirror images of one another in many ways. The playoff rubber match this spring? I have no doubt Buffalo would take it.

I don't get my panties in a wad over Ottawa's recent regular season success. Sorry.

Don't you ever break character? I honestly don't believe for a moment you believe half the crap you type.

If all else fails, at least cheap shot someone. I'll take blood on the scoreboard or on the ice. Doesn't matter to me. I'm putting my hockey principles aside for this game in the hopes that the Sabres come out seeing the red mist. Kill someone.

I.WANT.BLOOD. :angry:

If all else fails, at least cheap shot someone. I'll take blood on the scoreboard or on the ice. Doesn't matter to me. I'm putting my hockey principles aside for this game in the hopes that the Sabres come out seeing the red mist. Kill someone.

I.WANT.BLOOD. :angry:

Totally accidentally, the lyrics to this are perfect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVkt67m5hVE

#%^$#! Ottawa. I want to see someone smash Alfie's face into the glass. I want an elbow to Chris Neil's throat. I want pain delivered swiftly. Kill those ######. I hate Ottawa, dammit.

Chris Neil couldnt carry Ruutu' lunch pal in terms of my hatred. Probably the only player I could ever stand up and gleefully cheer after watching go head first into the boards, and fold on himself like an accordian. Who's down with a suspension? Taking one for the team? Im willing to look the other way.

#%^$#! Ottawa. I want to see someone smash Alfie's face into the glass. I want an elbow to Chris Neil's throat. I want pain delivered swiftly. Kill those ######. I hate Ottawa, dammit.

Chances of a physical game are slim with Kaleta being hurt, Gaustad playing physical 1 our of every 3 or 4 games and Mair being a shell of his former self.

Archived