Trade Target Watch

Calvin

Ek...the gift that just keeps on giving. He titles an article today "Time to Exhale on Kovalchuk", and then goes on to write a dissertation on the subject. Plus, the "I'm Very Important" bluetooth references are priceless...

http://www.hockeybuz...at-Risk/1/26033

Well do YOU have a Bluetooth helper?

I am confused ... are you saying that there is no point getting into specifics of who could be traded for Kovalchuk because we are all just speculating? If you COULD "offer a comprehensive package based on the actual value of the assests involved based solely on their performance and durability records. This should give any management team some clarity as to what the projected worth of such an asset is, this inturn should help them determine a course of action both short and long term as well as an exit strategy," I would like to see it ... you never know, you might convince us. Because just saying over and over they should get Kovalchuk obviously has not worked.

And by the way, while no offers TO Atlanta have been made public, there has been a report of a DEMAND from Atlanta .. Larry Brooks of the NY Post says that the Thrashers asked the Rangers for Staal or DelZotto, Callahan or Dubinsky plus a prospect plus a pick ... so there is your starting point.

I merely opined on the subject and made a suggestion as to a rental package.

If a longterm contract were to be reached prior to the trade, why would I deduce that 9 or 10 mil is the specific number Kovy would be looking for? It could very well be he wants out of Atlanta due to the questions on the future of the franchise. There are various reasons he could want out. As far as saying the Sabres should get Kovalchuk over and over again, have no idea why you seem so irratated that I post an opinion of mine a few times. What was it you stated:

I would like to see it ... you never know, you might convince us. Because just saying over and over they should get Kovalchuk obviously has not worked.

I wasn't aware sharing opinions and discussing pro's and con's of an idea included a pissing contest. As for the requirements from Atlanta for Kovalchuk, it is as a rental player. Extension talks would not be considered. Kovalchuk is a commodity and as such the attempt to negotiate for this commodity is subject to negotiation, just like any other commodity.

I merely opined on the subject and made a suggestion as to a rental package.

If a longterm contract were to be reached prior to the trade, why would I deduce that 9 or 10 mil is the specific number Kovy would be looking for? It could very well be he wants out of Atlanta due to the questions on the future of the franchise. There are various reasons he could want out. As far as saying the Sabres should get Kovalchuk over and over again, have no idea why you seem so irratated that I post an opinion of mine a few times. What was it you stated:

I would like to see it ... you never know, you might convince us. Because just saying over and over they should get Kovalchuk obviously has not worked.

I wasn't aware sharing opinions and discussing pro's and con's of an idea included a pissing contest. As for the requirements from Atlanta for Kovalchuk, it is as a rental player. Extension talks would not be considered. Kovalchuk is a commodity and as such the attempt to negotiate for this commodity is subject to negotiation, just like any other commodity.

Thank God they traded him to New Jersey so we can move on to something else.

I am not endorsing "Darcy's way," but trading a bunch of players and prospects for one guy who will be on your team for only a couple months is not the only OTHER way. I am not even sure that getting Kovalchuk on this team WITHOUT subtracting anything makes them the favorite, so how can you justify that deal? Even with Kovalchuk, I think I would consider it an upset if the Sabres beat Pittsburgh or Washington in a 7-game series. So what there is to lose is the possibility of building to that point next year or the year after. The Stanley Cup should the focus, but they award it every year ... does it HAVE to be THIS Stanley Cup that is the ONLY focus? Because when I look at THIS Stanley Cup, I doubt the Sabres win it, even with Kovalchuk. The odds are too long to justify that deal. They would be better of trying to buy him in July and make the run next season.

Is this the first official "there's always next season" post?

Not sure how credible this dude is, but i do have a friend who reads hockeybuzz and he tells me most of the stuff is bogus he just enjoys it i guess, but says this dude has been right in the past.

Look for Toronto forward Lee Stempniak to end up in either Edmonton or his hometown Buffalo.

Link- http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Andy-Strickland/More-Kovalchuk-To-Chew-On-Rink-Rats/5/26028

I do not want Stempniak. This is nothing more then another Bob Corkum or Dominic Moore trade IMO.

LQ said as much on WGR recently. He didn't want to make a trade that would cost them a chance at "five Stanley Cups."

LQ sounds like a jacka$$ when he says garbage like that. He should concentrate on building a team that can make the playoffs more than three times over eight years. Maybe hire a GM that isn't afraid to try and actually win a Stanley Cup. I am really sick and tired of the the small minded bush league wannabes running this franchise. None of which have ever won a single god da^^n thing. Their "system" and way of doing business have produced jack sh!t.

Is this the first official "there's always next season" post?

You could say that. When I look at the team and think of adding a Kovalchuk and still see them as not getting out of the CONFERENCE, let alone winning the Cup, I start thinking it's not worth going for it this year at all costs. I start thinking about what they can do at the deadline and in the offseason to get to the point where a year from now they SHOULD make that deal.

Like how a Stanley Cup winning GM builds a hockey team compared to Buffalo's "we're just glad to be in the playoffs this year" GM?

At least that is a discussion worth having. We all knew there was no way they were going after Kovalchuk, it was a waste of time and energy to debate it as long as we did. But I DO want to see a move or two at the deadline because I think there will be some stuff out there that can help get them there next year. If they do nothing and think the guys they have are just going to get better ... I don't even like to think about that.

Not sure how credible this dude is, but i do have a friend who reads hockeybuzz and he tells me most of the stuff is bogus he just enjoys it i guess, but says this dude has been right in the past.

Link- http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Andy-Strickland/More-Kovalchuk-To-Chew-On-Rink-Rats/5/26028

I do not want Stempniak. This is nothing more then another Bob Corkum or Dominic Moore trade IMO.

Another nothing forward to go with Regier's collection of nothing forwards. I can see this deal happening. Why Stempniak? Didn't Regier sign a bunch of garbage players and assign them to Portland this off-season? Just bring some of those scrubs up and sell them as "making a run."

LQ sounds like a jacka$ when he says garbage like that. He should concentrate on building a team that can make the playoffs more than three times over eight years. Maybe hire a GM that isn't afraid to try and actually win a Stanley Cup. I am really sick and tired of the the small minded bush league wannabes running this franchise. None of which have ever won a single god da^^n thing. Their "system" and way of doing business have produced jack sh!t.

Agreed. But the building has been generally full, the merchandise has flown off the shelves, they're turning a modest profit, OSP's investment has grown very nicely and the For Sale sign, whether literal or figurative, is at the ready. I don't think this ownership group cares about much else.

Agreed. But the building has been generally full, the merchandise has flown off the shelves, they're turning a modest profit, OSP's investment has grown very nicely and the For Sale sign, whether literal or figurative, is at the ready. I don't think this ownership group cares about much else.

I guess the Sabres and Bills are more alike than I realized. You could post the exact same thing on TBD.

LQ sounds like a jacka$$ when he says garbage like that. He should concentrate on building a team that can make the playoffs more than three times over eight years. Maybe hire a GM that isn't afraid to try and actually win a Stanley Cup. I am really sick and tired of the the small minded bush league wannabes running this franchise. None of which have ever won a single god da^^n thing. Their "system" and way of doing business have produced jack sh!t.

I look forward to your semi-annual hissy fits during trade deadline and

free agency.

Buffalo loses their first regulation game at home in 7 weeks and this place goes into menopause. :lol:

It may be just so ...

Forbes says they are worth $170 million ... I'll have $68.6 million after I win the Powerball on Saturday ... Who's chipping in with me? Come on, if we pay cash we can probably get control for $150 million. It'll be worth it just to fire Quinn ... ;)

free agency.

Buffalo loses their first regulation game at home in 7 weeks and this place goes into menopause. :lol:

haven't they lost 6 of 8. yeah, we're in great shape.

free agency.

A team that was at about at the same level as the Sabres just took one giant step forward. I get it, some people just don't care about a Stanley Cup. That's fine if that's your thing. Some are happy with status quo. I'm not and will express it freely. I'll keep posting what this team needs to do to get to the Cup and you can work on your "we'll get them next year" posts. Those are always enjoyable. :doh:

A team that was at about at the same level as the Sabres just took one giant step forward. I get it, some people just don't care about a Stanley Cup. That's fine if that's your thing. Some are happy with status quo. I'm not and will express it freely. I'll keep posting what this team needs to do to get to the Cup and you can work on your "we'll get them next year" posts. Those are always enjoyable. :doh:

C'mon DeLuca. If we wait another year our core will be one more year older and more mature.

Why do we have to wait another year? The time for building is over in my mind. How much closer do we need to get before we make the big move to push us over the edge.

C'mon DeLuca. If we wait another year our core will be one more year older and more mature.

Why do we have to wait another year? The time for building is over in my mind. How much closer do we need to get before we make the big move to push us over the edge.

Right on. Sometimes you have to take a kick at the can instead of kicking it down the road. Hey, that's profound. Imma stich it on ma doylee.

Like how a Stanley Cup winning GM builds a hockey team compared to Buffalo's "we're just glad to be in the playoffs this year" GM?

Maybe hire a GM that isn't afraid to try and actually win a Stanley Cup. I am really sick and tired of the the small minded bush league wannabes running this franchise. None of which have ever won a single god da^^n thing. Their "system" and way of doing business have produced jack sh!t.

Another nothing forward to go with Regier's collection of nothing forwards. I can see this deal happening. Why Stempniak? Didn't Regier sign a bunch of garbage players and assign them to Portland this off-season? Just bring some of those scrubs up and sell them as "making a run."

I guess the Sabres and Bills are more alike than I realized. You could post the exact same thing on TBD.

It's been a while since we've seen a good old-fashioned hysterical rant. Darned refreshing. One question: was it guaranteed to happen unless the Sabres traded for Kovy?

Since I think you both know that no one here or within the Sabres organization is happy just to make the playoffs, where we really are is right back to the question of whether splashy moves result in Cups. The answer is almost always no.

Trades that win Stanley Cups are nuts and bolts ones that bring in somebody like Doug Weight, second line character players. Wieght was the only one in recent memory that I think made a great difference to winning a cup, and that was 4 years ago.

Ask Atlanta and Tchucuk (they never recovered from that one), Forsberg and Nashville, I could go on....

Most players take a year or two to make an impact apart from their original clubs. That's why its a team game.

I'm interested to see how it works out, but 28 other teams passed on Kovy too.

This post is perfect. It truly does about sum it up, doesn't it though. I can't wait for our annual "trade for a 3rd liner" day. The "building for next season" posters will love the trade, say it gives Buffalo a chance down the stretch and I'll just continue to laugh and shake my head as they get fooled yet again into believing this type of player will "make the difference" against the likes of Wash, Pitt and now NJ. :wallbash:

I don't think NJ took a great step forward (I may be wrong), and I'm happy to know that this thread might now turn into a discussion about players that (1) are realistic options and (2) might actually help the Sabres, rather than Kovalchuk.

Trades that win Stanley Cups are nuts and bolts ones that bring in somebody like Doug Weight, second line character players. Wieght was the only one in recent memory that I think made a great difference to winning a cup, and that was 4 years ago.

Ask Atlanta and Tchucuk (they never recovered from that one), Forsberg and Nashville, I could go on....

Most players take a year or two to make an impact apart from their original clubs. That's why its a team game.

I'm interested to see how it works out, but 28 other teams passed on Kovy too.

Out of 30 teams only 16 make the cut. Out of the conferences only 4 or 5 teams really needed a Kovy type player. I would say LA and PHX in the west, NJ, OTT and yes, BUF in the east. Not only did NJ land him and make themselves immediately more dangerous offensively, but in affect by taking him, they made BUF the weakest team out of the top 4 or 5 teams in the East. In case no one has noticed, Ottawa is about to take the division lead and they show no signs of slowing up. This was a terrible decision not to act by Darcy and company. The Cup is what its all about, and adding Kovy would have increased Buffalo's competitiveness for it.

Archived