[OT] So, the Bills ...

carpandean

I'd drop Schaub at least one level, and Romo one level. And where do you put Jay Cutler? I think he's no better than Edwards.

Yeah, I admit that I've been waaaaaaay out of the loop when it comes to football. When I saw the name "Jay Cutler", my first thought was "did he switch from bodybuilding to football?" :unsure:

Back to the topic of football, my wife has been a Saints fan for a long time. She might actually have something to be proud of (but when it comes to hockey, she's on my side).

I'm sure someone can come up with a decent argument that it's the coaches faults that Edwards refuses to throw down field, but I'm not buying it. Even the crappiest of QB coaches should be able to fix that issue if it could be coached out of him.

Who designed the play at the end of the game where Lee Evans is one yard off the line of scrimmage?

The problem with the Bills is that they don't have much talent and they don't have the coaches, Jauron & Van Pelt, who are qualified for the positions they hold.

What we are witnessing is the death of the Bills. The Bills will someday be a playoff team. It won't be while Ralph is alive and it won't be while the Bills are playing their home games in Orchard Park. Enjoy the bad football. It will the only football we will see while the team remains in Buffalo.

What we are witnessing is the death of the Bills. The Bills will someday be a playoff team. It won't be while Ralph is alive and it won't be while the Bills are playing their home games in Orchard Park. Enjoy the bad football. It will the only football we will see while the team remains in Buffalo.

The fans of Buffalo (and surrounding areas) support this team WAAAYYY to much for them to go anywhere. They were having problems giving tickets away for the Toronto game last year. No way they end up there or anywhere else.

The fans of Buffalo (and surrounding areas) support this team WAAAYYY to much for them to go anywhere. They were having problems giving tickets away for the Toronto game last year. No way they end up there or anywhere else.

You said that like the fans actually matter to the NFL. The NFL is a league fueled by the corporate dollar.

You said that like the fans actually matter to the NFL. The NFL is a league fueled by the corporate dollar.

100% true, but there would still need to be a compelling economic opportunity elsewhere that is better than what exists in Buffalo. There is still no stadium or ownership group in LA or Toronto. It's also essentially impossible to get financing for stadium construction at this point in time (although that could certainly change in the next few years).

As for not seeing any real improvement as long as Ralph owns the team -- this very well could be true. If a real coach and front office management team is not brought in before next season I will probably agree with you. I kinda sorta think Ralph will realize that he's been penny-wise and pound-foolish and will pony up for those positions, but that could just be self-delusion.

100% true, but there would still need to be a compelling economic opportunity elsewhere that is better than what exists in Buffalo. There is still no stadium or ownership group in LA or Toronto. It's also essentially impossible to get financing for stadium construction at this point in time (although that could certainly change in the next few years).

As for not seeing any real improvement as long as Ralph owns the team -- this very well could be true. If a real coach and front office management team is not brought in before next season I will probably agree with you. I kinda sorta think Ralph will realize that he's been penny-wise and pound-foolish and will pony up for those positions, but that could just be self-delusion.

The NFL is a recession-proof cash cow. Even in WNY, which has been in a 35 year recession, games sold out. It will only take one Dan Snyder or Jim Balsillie type to move the Bills. There would also be plenty of Mayors and Governors willing to out their municipalities for a chance at bringing a NFL team to town.

Who designed the play at the end of the game where Lee Evans is one yard off the line of scrimmage?

The problem with the Bills is that they don't have much talent and they don't have the coaches, Jauron & Van Pelt, who are qualified for the positions they hold.

I asked that question the second I saw that pass thrown and I love that it's gotten to the point that I have no clue what the real reason for that might be. Is it horrible coaching or is it a coach realizing that he has no other hope with his current QB? Either option seems completely legit to me.

Ralph may be 91, but he's still got business acumen. WNY fans will make much less fuss about losing the Bills to another city (wherever it might be) if they play really badly for a few seasons. I do agree that as of this moment, there is no real place for them to relocate, but by the time Ralph is done scuttling the team there might be something available... And, he's perhaps trying to avoid another Cleveland scenario where the fans and city made such a stink about losing the Browns to Baltimore. They actually allowed Cleveland to keep the Browns' name and team colors and gave them the next available expansion franchise.

I think if there was a viable choice today, Ralph would pull a Bob Irsay and move the team in the dead of night....

:bag:

The NFL is a recession-proof cash cow. Even in WNY, which has been in a 35 year recession, games sold out. It will only take one Dan Snyder or Jim Balsillie type to move the Bills. There would also be plenty of Mayors and Governors willing to out their municipalities for a chance at bringing a NFL team to town.

I largely agree with this, but state governments are so strapped right now and for at least the next few years that I think it's extremely unlikely an NFL stadium (which costs in the neighborhood of $1 billion these days) gets built with public money. Anything can happen, and until the next owner is in place and demonstrably committed to Buffalo I won't feel comfortable that the Bills are safe, but I think the economic realities make the team safe in Buffalo for at least the next 2-3 years.

Ralph may be 91, but he's still got business acumen. WNY fans will make much less fuss about losing the Bills to another city (wherever it might be) if they play really badly for a few seasons. I do agree that as of this moment, there is no real place for them to relocate, but by the time Ralph is done scuttling the team there might be something available... And, he's perhaps trying to avoid another Cleveland scenario where the fans and city made such a stink about losing the Browns to Baltimore. They actually allowed Cleveland to keep the Browns' name and team colors and gave them the next available expansion franchise.

I think if there was a viable choice today, Ralph would pull a Bob Irsay and move the team in the dead of night....

I don't agree with this at all. Ralph knows he doesn't have that much time left. He wants to win, not have a terrible team for a few years so he can bail without much public outcry.

How can bad karma make things worse? Daddy let Linda play with his toys, and she got her hand slapped when she stepped over the line. As a result, Daddy fired the guy who I think is universally regarded as the best GM EVER in the game of football. Imagine how the last 20 years would look with Polian in the front office. Just think about that for a minute. Ralph may have actually earned a HOF ring, and been able to accept it at half time in his own stadium without having batteries and insults hurled at him.

Harsh, yes. But I blame her for the last 15 years of misery.

Are you saying that a conflict between Linda and Polian was what resulted in Polian getting canned? I've never heard that one before. Not saying it's not true, just that I've never heard it. Got a link by any chance?

Are you saying that a conflict between Linda and Polian was what resulted in Polian getting canned? I've never heard that one before. Not saying it's not true, just that I've never heard it. Got a link by any chance?

Yeah - he called her a nasty four letter word you're not supposed to say to ladies. It is regarded as gospel in Bills circles, just like the tales of Kelly's physical excess with his wife. Can't find a link for it. According to NFL Wikipedia "...he was fired because he didn't get along with treasurer, Jeff Littmann, for reasons unknown to all except those close to owner Ralph Wilson, Littmann and Polian himself. " Sounds like a concoction.

Over the years, this subject has come up several times on TBD. Here is one recent discussion on the topic...

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?showtopic=95249&hl=polian&st=0

Yeah - he called her a nasty four letter word you're not supposed to say to ladies. It is regarded as gospel in Bills circles, just like the tales of Kelly's physical excess with his wife. Can't find a link for it. According to NFL Wikipedia "...he was fired because he didn't get along with treasurer, Jeff Littmann, for reasons unknown to all except those close to owner Ralph Wilson, Littmann and Polian himself. " Sounds like a concoction.

Here's an article that blames it on "restructuring"

ink

Can't swear that its true, but everyone I know who grew up in buffalo would.

Is "want" enough? If he wanted to win, he would have canned Jauron and hired a real coach. I don't follow team salaries in the NFL (I barely follow them in hockey), but I believe the Bills are in the lower echelon there. Can anyone confirm this?

According to this barely reliable source:

Projected 2009 NFL Salary Cap Space for Each Team

Rank Team $ Under the Cap

1 Tampa Bay Buccaneers $30070000

2 Green Bay Packers $17580000

3 Kansas City Chiefs $16400000

4 Cleveland Browns $15910000

5 Chicago Bears $15560000

6 Jacksonville Jaguars $14500000

7 Tennessee Titans $12990000

8 San Francisco 49ers $12140000

9 Dallas Cowboys $11590000

10 Denver Broncos $9960000

11 Cincinnati Bengals $9520000

12 Miami Dolphins $7960000

13 Atlanta Falcons $7770000

14 NY Jets $7450000

15 Buffalo Bills $6430000

16 New England Patriots $6200000

17 Philadelphia Eagles $6130000

18 Minnesota Vikings $6050000

19 Houston Texans $5860000

20 St. Louis Rams $5190000

21 San Diego Chargers $5100000

22 Washington Redskins $5010000

23 Pittsburgh Steelers $4650000

24 Seattle Seahawks $4160000

25 Indianapolis Colts $3610000

26 New Orleans Saints $3370000

27 NY Giants $2630000

28 Oakland Raiders $2510000

29 Detroit Lions $2340000

30 Baltimore Ravens $2020000

31 Carolina Panthers $1400000

32 Arizona Cardinals $900000

I think fans of Buffalo teams are falsly led into thinking their owners are cheap but as we can see the Bills are smack dab in the middle of the pack. As we know, the Sabres spent nearly right up to the cap.

14 NY Jets $7450000

27 NY Giants $2630000

I think fans of Buffalo teams are falsly led into thinking their owners are cheap but as we can see the Bills are smack dab in the middle of the pack. As we know, the Sabres spent nearly right up to the cap.

I might be wrong but I think the "current" complaint is money spent on coaches and management which isn't factored into the cap.

I personally think the Bills problem is senility. Old people like boring things. They drive slow, watch Matlock, tell you the same "back in the day" stories, and eat the same boring bland things everyday. Watching that game Sunday was like visiting a retirement home... BORING.

14 NY Jets $7450000

27 NY Giants $2630000

I've never gone through the trouble of figuring out the NFL's cap system. Quite frankly, I don't care enough to bother, but I do know that cap space does not equate to actual dollars spent. I doubt these numbers really mean all that much if they are legitimate.

I personally think the Bills problem is senility. Old people like boring things. They drive slow, watch Matlock, tell you the same "back in the day" stories, and eat the same boring bland things everyday. Watching that game Sunday was like visiting a retirement home... BORING.

Hey! Us old folks have to take enough grief already - we don't need no young whippersnappers tellin' us we can't watch Matlock. Maatttlock!

You know, back in the day, all the shows on TV were as good as Matlock. Well, not as good, but almost as good. Now, where was I....oh, yeah! So, you get a cup of unbleached flour, some brown sugar, a quarter cup of baking soda...or was that baking powder? Dang, I always forget which is which. I'll have to look up the recipe and get back to you. I have to go, 'cause some speed demon is tailgatin' me......

I think you just insulted the cheerleading squad by referring to Buffalo's NFL team by that name...

Sorry Jills... hmmm If the Bills are going to lose at least we could have OJ run again, even if it was on COPS.... Bad Boys, Bad Boys, whatsyougunnadowhentheycumferyou.... Bad Boys Bad Boys...

Hey! Us old folks have to take enough grief already - we don't need no young whippersnappers tellin' us we can't watch Matlock. Maatttlock!

You know, back in the day, all the shows on TV were as good as Matlock. Well, not as good, but almost as good. Now, where was I....oh, yeah! So, you get a cup of unbleached flour, some brown sugar, a quarter cup of baking soda...or was that baking powder? Dang, I always forget which is which. I'll have to look up the recipe and get back to you. I have to go, 'cause some speed demon is tailgatin' me......

Ahhhh why don't ya pull yer lip up over yer head and swallow.

Archived