[OT] So, the Bills ...

carpandean

Actually, I wouldn't want to see them in TOR either. Too much of a reminder. The adding insult to injury would be if they left for Toronto and then all of a sudden they win the Super Bowl.

Just ask any Cleveland Browns fan how they felt after they moved to Balto. and then Art Modell had the audacity to thank the fans of Cleveland after the Ravens won the Super Bowl. I'm no Browns fan, but that had to be the ultimate slap in the face.

I asked the question NOT to support a move to Toronto, but just to throw a bone out there and see what response I would get.

I'm a Browns fan :unsure: lol. My husband was a rabid fan...he was devastated, and when they came back, he just lost his love for the team, a lot of people did. When that mess happened hearts broke all over the state. Then came the anger, and the "slap in the face". It was just bad. You guys don't really want your team to leave...believe me, it is worse than what you are going thru now.

I'm supposed to be encouraged because the Bills may not go 2-14 and instead go 7-9 AGAIN? Pop the champagne corks and let the celebration begin. <_<

Don't worry, this loss will emotionally cripple this feeble team. They won't win more than 4 games. They played their best game of the year in week one. They won't match it again, and New England is not all that great anymore.

On a positive note...another nail in that idiot Jauron's coffin!

really? i tend to think that this will be scored as a notch in his favor by the decision makers -- taking an under-manned and over-matched team into new england and very nearly coming out with an historically improbable W.

in the end, though, i don't think it will matter -- he will almost certainly be gone by next season.

People can say what they want about all the kids on the o-line, but the guards and Hangartner really know how to set up a screen. That will be one thing that is fun to watch this year.

the interior of the o-line looked pretty damn good.

then again, i am beginning to think that new england's defense could be a bottom-third of the league unit -- they couldn't really do much of anything.

- The reason the Bills have small undersized LB's is because they are supposed to be quick and good in pass coverage, yet Ellison gets beat on the SAME exact pattern by the SAME player TWICE in a span of a minute or two.

ellison's just not much a ballplayer, IMO - he'd be a capable reserve, but he's not a guy who should be a starting LB. and, in fairness, those were two fantastic plays by brady and watson (especially the second one).

They played their best game of the year in week one. They won't match it again, and New England is not all that great anymore.

i agree on all counts. people in my office are saying, "but think about what this means for the team going forward ..." -- i don't buy it. i tend to think that this was the best our team will be able offer all year -- i also see new england as having a defense in deep decline.

Ok, I agree w/ the number of you who feel Dick Jauron should be given a pink slip, but I won't blame last night's loss on him. New England was held to 13 points for 55 minutes, and I don't see how anyone can be disappointed w/ that. When it came time for the players to put the game away, they failed to do so. I'm going to put it all on McKelvin. You either return the kick or you don't. McKelvin hesitated, and that was a big F up. He should've stayed in the endzone to allow the Bills offense to run down the clock.

As a side note, Alex Van Pelt impressed me tremendously at the offensive coordinator position. He found ways to exploit the NE defense. Sure, TO and Lee Evans's numbers were pathetic, but w/ them on the field it opened up all other parts of the offense. And Van Pelt's play calling kept different portions of the offense open. I have always liked Van Pelt,and I hope he is appointed as the next head coach very soon. Van Pelt is a true Buffalo Bill.

Is Ellison even out there covering Watson at that point if Poz hadn't pulled a Tallinder (no, not that kind of Tallinder, perverts)?

Why do you have a LB in coverage during the Pats 2 minute drill. Especially after getting burned bad on the first touchdown.

The Bills put forth a entertaining effort and unfortunately when it mattered most they weren't prepared for the challenge. As soon as the Pats had their backs against the wall down by 11 the Bills had no chance. This coaching staff has no idea what it takes to win and the players are not prepared for the crucial moments that determine the outcome of the game. It could be McKelvin and his poor decision to return the kickoff or JP Losman rolling out late in the Jets game. The Bills will always lose those games until they bring a coach and a coaching staff that knows how to win and can relate what it takes to the players while making sure they are prepared for the game defining moments.

Ok, I agree w/ the number of you who feel Dick Jauron should be given a pink slip, but I won't blame last night's loss on him. New England was held to 13 points for 55 minutes, and I don't see how anyone can be disappointed w/ that. When it came time for the players to put the game away, they failed to do so. I'm going to put it all on McKelvin. You either return the kick or you don't. McKelvin hesitated, and that was a big F up. He should've stayed in the endzone to allow the Bills offense to run down the clock.

As a side note, Alex Van Pelt impressed me tremendously at the offensive coordinator position. He found ways to exploit the NE defense. Sure, TO and Lee Evans's numbers were pathetic, but w/ them on the field it opened up all other parts of the offense. And Van Pelt's play calling kept different portions of the offense open. I have always liked Van Pelt,and I hope he is appointed as the next head coach very soon. Van Pelt is a true Buffalo Bill.

Didn't the Bills only have 31 offensive plays through the first 3 quarters? The Bills offense was far from efficient or effective for a huge portion of the game. Let's see some more before we give him the head coaching job. Even though I would agree at this point AVP or anyone else would be a better option. Jauron makes me miss Gregg Williams.

Why do you have a LB in coverage during the Pats 2 minute drill. Especially after getting burned bad on the first touchdown.

The Bills put forth a entertaining effort and unfortunately when it mattered most they weren't prepared for the challenge. As soon as the Pats had their backs against the wall down by 11 the Bills had no chance. This coaching staff has no idea what it takes to win and the players are not prepared for the crucial moments that determine the outcome of the game. It could be McKelvin and his poor decision to return the kickoff or JP Losman rolling out late in the Jets game. The Bills will always lose those games until they bring a coach and a coaching staff that knows how to win and can relate what it takes to the players while making sure they are prepared for the game defining moments.

I think this statement says it all.

McKelvin should have had it drilled into his head, in that situation, whatever you do, protect the ball. Don't fight for the extra yard... don't even run it out of the end zone. One first down and the game is over

Also, why was it we had to blow a timeout on the last drive before we even ran a play? Again... coaching and players not being prepared for the game situation.

McKelvin should have had it drilled into his head, in that situation, whatever you do, protect the ball. Don't fight for the extra yard... don't even run it out of the end zone. One first down and the game is over

I can completely buy the idea that he wasn't sure whether or not he caught the ball in the endzone or not. That isn't the problem with that play. Like you said, the fighting for extra yards was the true boneheaded moment.

Also, why was it we had to blow a timeout on the last drive before we even ran a play? Again... coaching and players not being prepared for the game situation.

New England called the timeout. Buffalo had used one on defense earlier in the half. That was why they were down to 2.

I can completely buy the idea that he wasn't sure whether or not he caught the ball in the endzone or not. That isn't the problem with that play. Like you said, the fighting for extra yards was the true boneheaded moment.

New England called the timeout. Buffalo had used one on defense earlier in the half. That was why they were down to 2.

He was fighting for extra yards against players who had no interest in tackling him. The Pats were intent on keeping him upright until the ball came out. It's why they kicked deep. A short or squib kick and any other member of the "hands team" would have caught it and fell right down (you hope). If the last thing Mckelvin heard as he left the sidelines wasn't "down it" or "get to the ground" then the entire coaching staff had no business on the plane back to Buffalo.

I missed that detail. Oh well, I still think we need a new coach.

He was fighting for extra yards against players who had no interest in tackling him. The Pats were intent on keeping him upright until the ball came out. It's why they kicked deep. A short or squib kick and any other member of the "hands team" would have caught it and fell right down (you hope). If the last thing Mckelvin heard as he left the sidelines wasn't "down it" or "get to the ground" then the entire coaching staff had no business on the plane back to Buffalo.

100% correct.

EDIT: if there is any question as to whether this comes down to coaching, ask whether one of Marv's teams would EVER have lost a game in this way.

They had to use one at the beginning of the 2nd half when they realized that NE had looked at what was and wasn't working during halftime and changed their game plan - something Jauron can't seem to do.

I'm a Browns fan :unsure: lol. My husband was a rabid fan...he was devastated, and when they came back, he just lost his love for the team, a lot of people did. When that mess happened hearts broke all over the state. Then came the anger, and the "slap in the face". It was just bad. You guys don't really want your team to leave...believe me, it is worse than what you are going thru now.

Agreed. Losing the team would just devastate Buffalo. Even after this last decade of horrible play; losing the team would be just horrible.

One of my hockey teammates is a bungles fan. I made the joking comment earlier this week that we're like brothers in sports misery. Oops.

At one point last night (after the Schobel TD, I think), I texted my friend, "I'm sure my optimism will be negatively rewarded.", to which he said I'm crazy. He roots for the Bills now since he can't stomach his native Eagles; He certainly got the 'Buffalo Sports Experience' last night for his first game as a fan.

... are still the Bills. :death:

I was fortunate enough to attend the game, a few notes from my experience were:

This game goes on McKelvins tab. Not only the fumble, but his 3rd dwn coverage.

My 2 cents on the kick returns was that everytime the Pats scored, the momentum and the crowd needed to be stopped. I believe downing the ball would have slowed things down considerably. The crowd was out of the game, people left before the first Watson TD. Jauron should have demanded the ball to be downed at that point.

Rookies were all great, J-Byrd will be good for this team.

Whitner-you are dead to me.

yeah, it all hinged on Leodis' fumble (why a football thread is on a hockey site is beyond me).

were there other mistakes? sure. Growing pains for practical rookie LT Bell. 3 drive-killing drops by 3 different receivers in the 1st period that could have come to points (Jackson, Owens, Evans). All correctible.

My hopes were only that they punched New England back after they got hit. I certainly did not expect a win.

But my overall impression was much greater. The O-line- perhaps the biggest concern- played like studs (Eric Wood looks phenomenal). Shawn Nelson looks like the real deal. Kevin Williams and Aaron Schobel were constantly in the Patriot backfield (sans blitz) disrupting the timing of Brady. And finally, finally, the Bills have play-calling that had New England scratching their heads.

In short, the Bills finally showed up and played like they belonged against the Patriots. As far as I am concerned, the Bills BEAT the Patsies. Tom Brady can whine all he wants that 'they didn't play their game', but that is only cowardice in swallowing that the Bills beat them on the field.

If Leodis takes a knee, the game was over. Bills 24-19. You could see the despair on Brady's face, the consternation on Belicheat.

They got beat.

Now, if the Bills can build on this game, and continue the effort and passion the rest of the way, 11-5 here we come!

I mean, everyone, EVERYONE was ripping the Bills and predicting a massacre. For them to have played the way that they did, and to have the Patriots against the ropes and despairing for answers with 2:06 to play, is nothing to be shameful of.

New England was lucky to come out of there with a win.

GO BILLS!

Now lets keep this site for hockey talk.

In short, the Bills finally showed up and played like they belonged against the Patriots. As far as I am concerned, the Bills BEAT the Patsies. Tom Brady can whine all he wants that 'they didn't play their game', but that is only cowardice in swallowing that the Bills beat them on the field.

Scoreboard. The Bills lost. The Patriots played one of their worst games in a decade. I've never seen so many drive killing pass drops by one team. I don't think the Pats will be great this year, and I'm certain the Bills will be much worse.

yeah, it all hinged on Leodis' fumble (why a football thread is on a hockey site is beyond me).

If Leodis takes a knee, the game was over. Bills 24-19. You could see the despair on Brady's face, the consternation on Belicheat.

Certainly, the fumble made New England's job much easier, but I don't buy the "if he'd taken a knee, the game was over" argument. If he had taken a knee, they would have had 1st and 10 on their own 20 with a little over two minutes left. That means that, in addition to the 2 or 3 three time outs that the Pats had left, there was the two minute warning. So, if the Bills went three and out, then Brady would have had most of that two minutes left to march down the field, again. Did it look like the Bills were stopping them during the previous drive? Obviously, the chance of them stopping the Pats would have been better, but it was far from guaranteed.

Should we call this one the "Nightmare in New England" or the "Fumble in Foxborough"?

I'm going with "Just Another Loss under Jauron." Not the first time, probably won't be the last time that a Jauron-led Bills team blows a game late.

Archived