PLAYOFF DISCUSSION THREAD

Eleven

Heartbreaker for Detroit. Hossa, who has been held pointless in the playoffs, seemingly bangs home a loose puck to tie it up with 1:04 left. But, no, the ref thought the puck was under Hiller and whistled it dead. Of course, he didn't actually get the whistle to his mouth to blow it dead before the puck was hit in, but in his mind, he had made the decision, so no goal. Ducks win 2-1 to take a 2-1 lead in the series.

Not sure how I feel about that rule. They could certainly say that if, after review, the puck was determined to be loose and that it went in before the whistle blows, then it can be overturned. That first part could get tricky, though, when the puck is sort of covered.

Heartbreaker for Detroit. Hossa, who has been held pointless in the playoffs, seemingly bangs home a loose puck to tie it up with 1:04 left. But, no, the ref thought the puck was under Hiller and whistled it dead. Of course, he didn't actually get the whistle to his mouth to blow it dead before the puck was hit in, but in his mind, he had made the decision, so no goal. Ducks win 2-1 to take a 2-1 lead in the series.

Not sure how I feel about that rule. They could certainly say that if, after review, the puck was determined to be loose and that it went in before the whistle blows, then it can be overturned. That first part could get tricky, though, when the puck is sort of covered.

Either way someone may get screwed... but I feel if the puck is "sort of covered" it might as well not be covered at all. The RWings got screwed hard on that, but a rule is a rule. In any sport I think it should be play until the whistle... not play until the ref makes up his mind he wants to blow the whistle.

Imagine you're the referee in this case.....

You see the scramble and the puck go under Hiller and begin to move your hand to your mouth to blow the whistle, but then see the puck cross the line. Do you stop yourself and call it a goal? I realize this all happens in a split second and you probably couldn't change your mind THAT quickly, but.....?

This is really a tough spot to be in if you're the ref. You can't let the play go too long, but you want to be 100% sure the puck is covered/controlled by the goalie.

At some point you have to help the goalie too, because he can have the puck trapped and still have it wacked out. Even though Detroit was screwed and I'd be pissed as a fan, I agree with the call.

At some point you have to help the goalie too, because he can have the puck trapped and still have it wacked out. Even though Detroit was screwed and I'd be pissed as a fan, I agree with the call.

Exactly. Definitely the right call, but sucks for Detroit. Imagine how much we'd all be complaining if that happened to the Sabres?

Exactly. Definitely the right call, but sucks for Detroit. Imagine how much we'd all be complaining if that happened to the Sabres?

This place would be going apeshit if it happened to the Sabres. I'm just shocked that it happened to another team in the playoffs before it bit the Sabres. I am fully confident however that if and when the Sabres make the playoffs again the screwings will continue as per usual.

How about not "definitely" the right call, but, well, that was the call. It's fun to observe this crap without the Sabres involved for once.

Or, it's another manifestation of the "anti-Detroit bias" that we all know the league has, right?

Me neither. I am really tempted now to dig up my Jussi Jokinen thread.

lol

Im not too happy with Carolina winning either. I just can not stand their fans. I don't care if i'm bitter or what not, i just had one too many bad experiences with their fan base and can not stand several of their current players.

But, i'm glad Pittsburgh won. I am hoping that Hockey wins in that series. i don't care which team advances though. I would like to see Washington move on but i could live with either. But hockey is on the spotlight and could be the big winner and thats why i am hoping that series goes 7 games.

Pittsburgh's Ot winner was bull. It bounced off of Morisonn. I cant stand bounces like that.It would of been better if there was a goal after Malkins nifty move rather than a bouncer. Regardless i figured Pitt would win tonight in front of the home crowd. And up until the Ot winner they were the better team. Kudos to the Caps for coming back late in the third. I still pick the Caps in this series.

Pittsburgh's Ot winner was bull. It bounced off of Morisonn. I cant stand bounces like that.It would of been better if there was a goal after Malkins nifty move rather than a bouncer. Regardless i figured Pitt would win tonight in front of the home crowd. And up until the Ot winner they were the better team. Kudos to the Caps for coming back late in the third. I still pick the Caps in this series.

Malkin after a 'quiet' two games was all over the ice last night. He was dangling everywhere. That was probably the best skating performance I've seen in a very, very, very long time.

OV is just an awesome hockey player. A tough-as-nail forward. Both Crosby and OV took crunching, de-skating hits last night.

What a fantastic series.

Pittsburgh back in the series 2-1 and Jokkinen puts the Canes up 2-1...I can't stand them---please don't let them get to the finals again...

Both overtime games tonite...

Two classic, tightly-played playoff games, at that. So far, I'm not upset with the games I've seen.

I really think the NHL would benefit from the Bruins winning this series, though. One of the original six and a big market playing either Washington or Pittsburgh would give the league a very good amount of exposure.

Pittsburgh back in the series 2-1 and Jokkinen puts the Canes up 2-1...I can't stand them---please don't let them get to the finals again...

Both overtime games tonite...

I don't think anyone hates the Canes organization and fan base more than me, but at least this time around they deserve to be in the position they are in. They aren't backing their way towards the Cup like in '06. I'm never going to wish injury on anyone but if there was ever a team due for a stretch of bad fortune it's the Canes.

Malkin after a 'quiet' two games was all over the ice last night. He was dangling everywhere. That was probably the best skating performance I've seen in a very, very, very long time.

OV is just an awesome hockey player. A tough-as-nail forward. Both Crosby and OV took crunching, de-skating hits last night.

What a fantastic series.

Great article from the Buffalo News today about Malkin's game, from John Vogl, who is actually in Pittsburgh covering the series- http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/663413.html

Archived