Connolly questionable ... bruised chest

BetweenThePipes00

I was going to guess bruised sternum after he left the ice and that sounds just about right now. Completely understandable after that hit. Wait until he actually missed time due to this before you continue on with the glass talk. That hit would've done the same to just about anyone.

I'm very glad to hear that its not a head issue. I also won't question, at all, the decision for connolly to not play after that hit. He took one shift, had a shot from the point, and called it a night. If he truly wants to stick his nose to the critics, he'll play tomorrow night even if he's not at 100%. A day off today is probably all that is needed if it is truly a bruised sternum.

I don't understand how people can make fun of Connolly for this. The guy got absolutely destroyed by an opponent who is built like a brick house. Most of the people criticizing him would've left the ice on a stretcher. Connolly popped right up and continued playing.

I was going to guess bruised sternum after he left the ice and that sounds just about right now. Completely understandable after that hit. Wait until he actually missed time due to this before you continue on with the glass talk. That hit would've done the same to just about anyone.

shrader and I will continue to fight the good fight. This is a much better team with Connolly. He's leading the team in points per game.

Long live Connolly!

I don't understand how people can make fun of Connolly for this. The guy got absolutely destroyed by an opponent who is built like a brick house. Most of the people criticizing him would've left the ice on a stretcher. Connolly popped right up and continued playing.

Guys are slammed into the boards(where there is little give) every single game and are ready to go the next night. Connolly gets hit in open ice and bruises his chest.

Great if he plays tomorrow, and if not...no one will be surprised.

shrader and I will continue to fight the good fight. This is a much better team with Connolly. He's leading the team in points per game.

Long live Connolly!

No doubt. Hope no one thought I was taking a shot at him with the post, although I knew it would out some sarcasm ...

That line was dominating last night, the guy DOES make a big difference. I'm sure that is part of the frustration for those who have washed their hands of him.

Like I said, I was worried for him at first, and to be honest about 1% of me is still worried that Lindy is covering and it is his head again. I hate to say that, but his history is scary. I've got my fingers crossed not because the team needs him so much as because I don't want to see another guy forced out of the game by concussions.

I'm taking no relief in this "news". As I said in the GDT, I don't believe anything Lindy says about injuries. I'll believe it's not a concussion when I see Connolly playing in a game, and not before.

Having said that, it was indeed a huge hit -- probably the biggest hit any Sabre has taken this year. I think a more apt criticism of Connolly is not that he's a wuss for being injured because of it, but that he was playing too recklessly.

He was really starting to play well, though, wasn't he?

Let's see how it goes. It's hard to be optimistic though.

Guys are slammed into the boards(where there is little give) every single game and are ready to go the next night. Connolly gets hit in open ice and bruises his chest.

The board give a hell of a lot more than someone like Tkachuk at open ice. Take a look at some of the most memorable hits out there, the Stevens hits that knocked people out, and to a lesser extent the Schaeffer-Connolly concussion and the Campbell-Umberger... they're all open ice. Those are the ones that injure people.

Long live Connolly!

He's quickly closing in on D Roy in what, 1/3 the games. We're a FAR better team with Connolly in the lineup. Let's hope he stays there awhile. The abuse he's taken is unjustified on nearly every front. Aside from the concussions, everything else has been coincidental and downright bad luck. "Oh, but he's just not built for hockey." "Oh but he's always out drinking like a sieve and he's out of shape all the time."

Again, what was his consecutive games streak BEFORE the first concussion?

GO SABRES!!!

The relative speed would be much higher since Connolly was skating at Tkuchuckie instead of at a standstill along the boards. More energy means more crunchy...

Maybe I'm just blinded at this point when it comes to Connolly. It is so frustrating because the line of Hecht-Pominville-Connolly were very good last night and would be very good all season if TC could stay healthy.

Keep your fingers crossed, say a rosary, don't let your wife wash your lucky sock :lol: and maybe just maybe, Connolly will miss only a handful of games all season long.

Maybe I'm just blinded at this point when it comes to Connolly. It is so frustrating because the line of Hecht-Pominville-Connolly were very good last night and would be very good all season if TC could stay healthy.

Keep your fingers crossed, say a rosary, don't let your wife wash your lucky sock :lol: and maybe just maybe, Connolly will miss only a handful of games all season long.

Not to be the Negative Nancy of the thread, but realizing that he has only played in 5/15 games this year, that puts him on pace to play all of 27 games. Most likely that number will change, but a month into the season he's already missed 10 of the first 15 games. Not a good sign...

Not to be the Negative Nancy of the thread, but realizing that he has only played in 5/15 games this year, that puts him on pace to play all of 27 games. Most likely that number will change, but a month into the season he's already missed 10 of the first 15 games. Not a good sign...

I meant to say...maybe he will only miss a handful of games the rest of the season. :oops:

I meant to say...maybe he will only miss a handful of games the rest of the season. :oops:

I figured that...I just couldn't believe it when I looked at his ESPN.com player page and saw that he was projected for 27 games (and 11 goals and 22 assists, for those who are counting.)

I'm taking no relief in this "news". As I said in the GDT, I don't believe anything Lindy says about injuries. I'll believe it's not a concussion when I see Connolly playing in a game, and not before.

Having said that, it was indeed a huge hit -- probably the biggest hit any Sabre has taken this year. I think a more apt criticism of Connolly is not that he's a wuss for being injured because of it, but that he was playing too recklessly.

He was really starting to play well, though, wasn't he?

Let's see how it goes. It's hard to be optimistic though.

I know what you mean. Some of our fellow posters have tried to get us to not be so harsh on him. However, his tendency to get snakebitten is getting to be really old.

Some of us are more patient than others (and I will admit that there are those who are more patient than me). I just don't know what else to expect from Connolly than to be consistently being sidelined due to injury. :rolleyes:

Do we re-sign him?

A very interesting question, Dr. Sauve. We've got him, Al and Max going into UFA, plus Kaleta, Stafford and Mac going into RFA. We've also got 2 extra forwards in Buffalo at this point, plus 3 comers in Portland. So, leaving aside trade possibilities, if all 6 of the FAs leave, there are 6 possible slots open and 5 forwards to fill 'em.

Out of the 6 FAs, I think it's almost certain that Max and Al are gone. Lindy looks like he's ready to drive Max to the airport himself. I can see Darcy and Lindy being OK with keeping Al, but only if the dollars are right. Al will probably get about 26-28 goals in his contract year, and someone will give him about 4 years, $14MM, and that will be way too rich for us.

If we assume that we keep Mac and Kaleta, that means there are really 4 open slots (or, if we keep only one extra forward in Buffalo, 3 open slots). Competing for those 3 slots will be: Mancari, Gerbe, Kennedy, Timmy and Stafford. I think it's safe to assume that at least one out of the 3 Pirates is not going to be ready for prime time next year, so that would give us 4 forwards competing for 3 slots.

They probably won't give up on Stafford, even if he ends up the year with, say, 25 points in 70 games. Even so, let's say Timmy ends up the year with about 50 games played and about 45 points (last year he had 40 pts in 48 games). It's very possible, if not probable, that Darcy and Lindy would want him back on, say, a 2-year contract at $1.8MM per year. That would fill the 3 slots with Stafford, Connolly, and 1 Pirate, with another Pirate available for injury call-up. Since Darcy and Lindy like to let 'em simmer in the AHL for a while (and since it's likely one of the 3 will be a washout anyway), I could very much see that happening.

Great player, very fun to watch, very frustrating to always have this happen.

Do we re-sign him?

If he doesn't play at least 60 games then I say there is no way you can re-sign him, unless it is at very minimal salary (no more than $1M/year.) I mean really, he's only played 55 of a possible 179 games over the last 2+ seasons. I just don't see how you justify bringing him back.

The tease of his physical skills is one thing, but in a salary cap era, you have to get bang for your buck.

Archived