Complaint Thursdays

Topic will be automatically locked at 03:59 AM

LabattBlue

Work is awful tonight. And I actually like my job! Tonight just sucks. Half of the shift called in and I still have to make everything work. It only took 3 hours to get everything situated, and then we decided to can someone. "Hey ubkev, could you spot me another supervisor?" Yeah, I'll get right on that...... Again!

How is it that an iPhone can tell you to take a different way to go to work because it has learned your travel patterns and knows there is traffic on your route all without you telling (asking?) it to, but my iPad can't learn that I am NEVER GOING TO SIGN INTO iCLOUD OR GAMECENTER!!!!

The glottal stop. I know it's been trendy for a while now, but it has to go. Songwriters don't have to come up with new or clever ways to say something that will fit the melody. They can just say the way it has been said a million times before and just use a glottal stop to get it to fit their melody.

Lastly, I was eating my sandwich today,… delicious,… getting down to end,… where just the right ratios of meat to bread to cheese to lettuce to mayo/mustard culminate in that last magical bite that make eating the whole rest of the sandwich worth it,… and as I raise it to my lips,… I miscalculate ever so slightly where my mouth is, it hits my lip, the meat slides out from between the bread, I lose my grip on the entire thing and it tumbles to the floor,…

I ate it anyway.

How is it that an iPhone can tell you to take a different way to go to work because it has learned your travel patterns and knows there is traffic on your route all without you telling (asking?) it to, but my iPad can't learn that I am NEVER GOING TO SIGN INTO iCLOUD OR GAMECENTER!!!!

Has the iPad always done that?  My wife just started complaining this week that her iPad is constantly asking her to log into iCloud, pretty much any time she clicks on anything.

This job instability is making me crazy.  At the beginning of March my boss was talking about possibly running out of funding and closing up shop, then a week or two later he settles in and seems more optimistic and hopes he'll know for sure on internal funding by April / May.  I still did some preliminary job-hunting, but nothing too serious since I had 3-4 months of funding and there was a chance I might be able to stay here.  Fast forward to now, and it's back to oh-sh!t-I-need-to-find-another-job.  My boss had been talking to our division chief about our specific funding needs for the next 1-2 years, and he had seemed supportive and indicated there were funds but he didn't have the authority to approve the allocation (the Dept Chair would have to do that).  After 2-3 weeks and no updates or firm answers from anyone, my boss was talking to his immediate boss (someone between him and the division chief), who calls the Chair and is told this is the first he's heard anything about us requesting internal funding.  So it seems like at least one of them is a lying sack of sh!t who can't (or won't) man up and just tell us either a) there's no money available, or b) there's money, but they don't want to spend it on us.  My boss is understandably pissed and for him this is essentially the last straw on even attempting to stay here.  He has a few other offers available and could leave as early as August, although it wouldn't matter for my purposes since my funding is now absolutely going to run out in June or July.  Submitted a bunch more applications earlier this week and I know it takes time for people to review them and get around to contacting people, but the waiting game is killing me and I'm starting to freak out.  If there's a chance I'm moving I should be going full-bore into tackling minor house repairs and getting the place listed ASAP, but I don't want to list my house if I'm possibly staying put.  AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH.

Edited by biodork

Has the iPad always done that?  My wife just started complaining this week that her iPad is constantly asking her to log into iCloud, pretty much any time she clicks on anything.

Ever since I stupidly upgraded to IOS8.

http://www.imore.com/ios-help-how-fix-repeat-icloud-sign-requests-iphone-and-ipad

This job instability is making me crazy.  At the beginning of March my boss was talking about possibly running out of funding and closing up shop, then a week or two later he settles in and seems more optimistic and hopes he'll know for sure on internal funding by April / May.  I still did some preliminary job-hunting, but nothing too serious since I had 3-4 months of funding and there was a chance I might be able to stay here.  Fast forward to now, and it's back to oh-sh!t-I-need-to-find-another-job.  My boss had been talking to our division chief about our specific funding needs for the next 1-2 years, and he had seemed supportive and indicated there were funds but he didn't have the authority to approve the allocation (the Dept Chair would have to do that).  After 2-3 weeks and no updates or firm answers from anyone, my boss was talking to his immediate boss (someone between him and the division chief), who calls the Chair and is told this is the first he's heard anything about us requesting internal funding.  So it seems like at least one of them is a lying sack of sh!t who can't (or won't) man up and just tell us either a) there's no money available, or b) there's money, but they don't want to spend it on us.  My boss is understandably pissed and for him this is essentially the last straw on even attempting to stay here.  He has a few other offers available and could leave as early as August, although it wouldn't matter for my purposes since my funding is now absolutely going to run out in June or July.  Submitted a bunch more applications earlier this week and I know it takes time for people to review them and get around to contacting people, but the waiting game is killing me and I'm starting to freak out.  If there's a chance I'm moving I should be going full-bore into tackling minor house repairs and getting the place listed ASAP, but I don't want to list my house if I'm possibly staying put.  AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH.

Sorry to hear.  If you want any job search advice, well, you know I've been able to attract interviews and offers......

Sorry to hear.  If you want any job search advice, well, you know I've been able to attract interviews and offers......

You've had a LOT of experience with that the last year or two, I know!  Not sure how much of it translates between fields, but if you have suggestions, I'm all ears.

(And thanks, NS.)

Aw Bio I'm sorry. Best of luck with it. Not knowing is the worst :( :( :( 

My kvetch is stupid and grumpy but not really serious.

We're a gaming company. Most of the employees are gamers. Using company money, we bought several games to play on downtime/lunch breaks. Coworker was looking for one of the games, sent out an email asking as to its whereabouts. 

Our super wealthy rolling in it multiple vacations a year while we have no technical vacation days boss took it home for his kid. "Oh I can't give it back now, he thinks it's his!"

I know it's just a 70 dollar game. I know our company money is basically yours anyways. But come on man. Principles. Buy your kid his own copy.

He's making a show of trying to find a discounted one for the office now. "maybe i can find us a cheaper version!"
No.  

Of course, this is the same guy who has lost lots of employees recently and has found us more projects... and we are all working overtime and weekends (salary so it's all for naught) and can't keep up.

"We can't take on any more work unless we hire some experienced people" -CTO

"hahaha oh well, find a way, you always do! I've got 3 more big projects due end of summer, better find it quick! Also I'm going on a roadtrip next week so call me if you have to." - Boss 

Fine if we're a big company. But there's like.... 35 of us. The CTO is in the trenches with us. Half of those 35 are student interns.  

Aw Bio I'm sorry. Best of luck with it. Not knowing is the worst :( :( :(

My kvetch is stupid and grumpy but not really serious.

We're a gaming company. Most of the employees are gamers. Using company money, we bought several games to play on downtime/lunch breaks. Coworker was looking for one of the games, sent out an email asking as to its whereabouts.

Our super wealthy rolling in it multiple vacations a year while we have no technical vacation days boss took it home for his kid. "Oh I can't give it back now, he thinks it's his!"

I know it's just a 70 dollar game. I know our company money is basically yours anyways. But come on man. Principles. Buy your kid his own copy.

He's making a show of trying to find a discounted one for the office now. "maybe i can find us a cheaper version!"

No.

Of course, this is the same guy who has lost lots of employees recently and has found us more projects... and we are all working overtime and weekends (salary so it's all for naught) and can't keep up.

"We can't take on any more work unless we hire some experienced people" -CTO

"hahaha oh well, find a way, you always do! I've got 3 more big projects due end of summer, better find it quick! Also I'm going on a roadtrip next week so call me if you have to." - Boss

Fine if we're a big company. But there's like.... 35 of us. The CTO is in the trenches with us. Half of those 35 are student interns.

I would be apoplectic if something I brought into the office to share with my Co-workers found its way home with my boss. And then stayed there. That game was on loan to the group by whoever purchased it in the first place and it still belongs to them.

I would be apoplectic if something I brought into the office to share with my Co-workers found its way home with my boss. And then stayed there. That game was on loan to the group by whoever purchased it in the first place and it still belongs to them.

To be fair, it was bought with company funds. But yeah, suck it up and buy your kid a copy or overnight a new copy to the office.

To be fair, it was bought with company funds. But yeah, suck it up and buy your kid a copy or overnight a new copy to the office.

Yeah, it's just principles to me at this point. He makes such a show of his wealth all the time, pays us less than standard, and then does infuriating small things like this. Uses company money on lots of things. Lotta rumours. A small place like this won't last long if half of them are true. Oh well, probably happens everywhere all the time. 

Yeah, it's just principles to me at this point. He makes such a show of his wealth all the time, pays us less than standard, and then does infuriating small things like this. Uses company money on lots of things. Lotta rumours. A small place like this won't last long if half of them are true. Oh well, probably happens everywhere all the time.

The trick is company money = his money. It's not like there's any level of separation there. He can do whatever he wants. He owns it all. For better or for worse.

To be honest, it sounds like half the failed dot-coms during the boom (the first one, that is). Whee, we're making money! Wait, what happened? I wouldn't be so bold as to say get out while you can, but...