Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

To be honest, it sounds like half the failed dot-coms during the boom (the first one, that is). Whee, we're making money! Wait, what happened? I wouldn't be so bold as to say get out while you can, but...

She's doing a good job of diversifying her income base. If something does go wrong there she's got enough options to make it work. I'm used to being poor at this point so then we'd both just be poor together :p

The trick is company money = his money. It's not like there's any level of separation there. He can do whatever he wants. He owns it all. For better or for worse.

I know, it just makes me mad. Not a fan of being waved around. Hence the complaint in the complaint thread. 

To be honest, it sounds like half the failed dot-coms during the boom (the first one, that is). Whee, we're making money! Wait, what happened? I wouldn't be so bold as to say get out while you can, but...

Yeah, that's how I feel too. I've done a lot of personal risk analysis with things lately, and it can't really hurt me personally too much either way. I'll keep riding it out and hoping for better. If it fails, it wasn't my fault, and my resume still looks great. 

Morale's pretty damn low around here... this latest small (admittedly justifiable) thing just really rubbed everyone the wrong way... again. 

nagging micro-management.  I can't stand it.  Asking me every hour what my status is just because you're a VP and I'm a lowly Supervisor isn't going to make the tests run any faster.  Turning around and asking my direct reports isn't helping matters either :censored:  

After blowing up at the VP of Sales on Monday, I had to talk to my director and let him know that if they want this backlog of work to get out quicker, then management needs to let me do what they hired me to do, and stop bugging my engineers and technicians because it doesn't make anyone work any faster.  I know what's at stake...

Yeah, it's just principles to me at this point. He makes such a show of his wealth all the time, pays us less than standard, and then does infuriating small things like this. Uses company money on lots of things. Lotta rumours. A small place like this won't last long if half of them are true. Oh well, probably happens everywhere all the time. 

Someone should paste this story on his office door (or with the games he "borrows"):

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/04/14/business/owner-of-gravity-payments-a-credit-card-processor-is-setting-a-new-minimum-wage-70000-a-year.html?_r=0

That was my takeaway on this situation, as well.

Sheesh.

Oh, and the fact that I am having a real good time filling in the ##### in Josie's recent post.

:P

I'm actually surprised d i c k s is caught in the filter. not that you would want to get that caught in a filter.... 

Edited by Josie914

Actually... some of the people here have been posting that... it's been a bit awkward haha 

I in no way expect that to ever be a norm or even a solid idea for any company. But it sure is a nice thought! 

This is my favorite thread to read. There's always such interesting things going on with everyone.

My manager's father is in the hospital and doesn't seem to be doing too well. I can run the ship while he's gone, but it just sucks to see that happen to anyone. :(

Aw Bio I'm sorry. Best of luck with it. Not knowing is the worst :( :( :(

My kvetch is stupid and grumpy but not really serious.

We're a gaming company. Most of the employees are gamers. Using company money, we bought several games to play on downtime/lunch breaks. Coworker was looking for one of the games, sent out an email asking as to its whereabouts. 

Our super wealthy rolling in it multiple vacations a year while we have no technical vacation days boss took it home for his kid. "Oh I can't give it back now, he thinks it's his!"

I know it's just a 70 dollar game. I know our company money is basically yours anyways. But come on man. Principles. Buy your kid his own copy.

He's making a show of trying to find a discounted one for the office now. "maybe i can find us a cheaper version!"

No.  

Of course, this is the same guy who has lost lots of employees recently and has found us more projects... and we are all working overtime and weekends (salary so it's all for naught) and can't keep up.

"We can't take on any more work unless we hire some experienced people" -CTO

"hahaha oh well, find a way, you always do! I've got 3 more big projects due end of summer, better find it quick! Also I'm going on a roadtrip next week so call me if you have to." - Boss 

Fine if we're a big company. But there's like.... 35 of us. The CTO is in the trenches with us. Half of those 35 are student interns.  

Yeah...that's theft. I mean, he stole from the company. I assume its a corporation if you have a CTO, so its not the bosses money, it belongs to the corporation. Again, its like, 70 bucks, and he might own the place, but still, he took it an didn't reimburse the corp. for it. This is based on my very minor knowledge of how businesses work, I can ask the wife when she gets home (not that its going to matter, I'm just curious).

Also, the "you'll find a way!" thing is all too familiar to me. Its the reason I'm switching departments (again) at work. Company is unwilling to pay the people in my position enough to keep them, so my boss is constantly hiring new people. Granted, it is an entry level position, but its a spot where having knowledge of the products is almost MORE important that technical knowledge (I'm an Engineering Test Tech). Experience is gold, but they can't keep new guys here for more than a year or two. But the execs just say "Well, you've made it this far!". Sure, but the work is suffering, and its only going to get worse.

Edited by sabills

I had no idea that video games are $70 now.

$70 and then wave after wave of downloadable content, made available for a small fee.

It's all such horseshit.  I think the last time I bought a video game was like 2 years ago?  I used to be hard into gaming, and now I'll maybe boot up a 6 year old game every couple months.

Yeah...that's theft. I mean, he stole from the company. Again, its like, 70 bucks, and he might own the place, but still, he took it an didn't reimburse the corporation for it.

Also, the "you'll find a way!" thing is all too familiar to me. Its the reason I'm switching departments (again) at work. Company is unwilling to pay the people in my position enough to keep them, so my boss is constantly hiring new people. Granted, it is an entry level position, but its a spot where having knowledge of the products is almost MORE important that technical knowledge (I'm an Engineering Test Tech). Experience is gold, but they can't keep new guys here for more than a year or two. But the execs just say "Well, you've made it this far!". Sure, but the work is suffering, and its only going to get worse.

Yep yep yep. Same exact thing. I feel it's just kind of par for the course most places anymore. 

We keep expecting these interns to somehow have the experience that comes with doing this specific work for a long time, and it's killing them. I feel awful for them. 

We're going to drop something big soon, and it's going to hurt us. Badly. 

It's all such horseshit.  I think the last time I bought a video game was like 2 years ago?  I used to be hard into gaming, and now I'll maybe boot up a 6 year old game every couple months.

I hear ya. I have pretty much no interest in gaming. To get into it I'd have to spend quite a bit of money, and I do not have the freetime to enjoy it without feeling guilty anyways. There's cool stuff coming out, but I just watch a playthrough someone posts. 

The trick is company money = his money. It's not like there's any level of separation there. He can do whatever he wants. He owns it all. For better or for worse.

Not if he's smart.

Here's my bitch for the day:  NHL Center Ice blackout.  Dummies, you could have had my business.  I'd watch on all my devices.  But you won't let me watch my favorite team because you black it out.  So now my business goes to a semi-legitimate site that has every game, no blackouts, all devices, AND the CHL.

NHL/MSG you got greedy...

I was never hard into gaming, but when Civ V came out, I think it was like $45ish?  That's really the only game I buy, the rest is stuff for Wii ($40ish) and apps ($3ish).

$70 and then wave after wave of downloadable content, made available for a small fee.

Or worse the evil geniuses who came up with the action figure character idea with portal for games like Skylanders and Disney infinity. At $10 a pop it gets ridiculous.  My son is into these games and I now make him spend any allowance money he can save up to buy those things.  Friggin ripoff.

Or worse the evil geniuses who came up with the action figure character idea with portal for games like Skylanders and Disney infinity. At $10 a pop it gets ridiculous.  My son is into these games and I now make him spend any allowance money he can save up to buy those things.  Friggin ripoff.

Oh my god the amiibos. When those came out I was like "Nintendo you diabolical geniuses..." I've seen grown men fight over different editions of freakin' Kirby or whatever. The demographic paying all the money on games now is the same demographic that was all about collecting Pokemon cards and such. Easy easy evil money. 

I will say the designs are super cool. I use them as reference for games a lot. 

Not if he's smart.

Here's my bitch for the day:  NHL Center Ice blackout.  Dummies, you could have had my business.  I'd watch on all my devices.  But you won't let me watch my favorite team because you black it out.  So now my business goes to a semi-legitimate site that has every game, no blackouts, all devices, AND the CHL.

NHL/MSG you got greedy...

I was never hard into gaming, but when Civ V came out, I think it was like $45ish?  That's really the only game I buy, the rest is stuff for Wii ($40ish) and apps ($3ish).

I'm confused by this. Isn't every game of the playoffs shown by the networks of NBC? If you also have cable, I'm pretty sure you can log on to NBC.com and stream all the games once you select your provider.

You should see what marriage does to playing video games.  I will still pick up the occasional new game that I've been waiting on for a while, but then it takes me about 6 months to actually play through it.  The next new game I will want will require me to buy a PS4.  I can't wait to hear the wife's opinion on that one.

You should see what marriage does to playing video games.  I will still pick up the occasional new game that I've been waiting on for a while, but then it takes me about 6 months to actually play through it.  The next new game I will want will require me to buy a PS4.  I can't wait to hear the wife's opinion on that one.

Relax.  You're still in the newlywed / honeymoon phase.

Be patient, your gaming time will come soon enough.

Relax. You're still in the newlywed / honeymoon phase.

Be patient, your gaming time will come soon enough.

One of my friends who has been married for awhile recently had his wife tell him he needs to start playing games again because he's driving her nuts with always wanting to do stuff (either to the house or just going out). Needless to say, he's pretty happy about it.