Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

This sound like another one of those "too much" pizzas. Here's the thing. Pizza is really good. You don't need to ###### with it too much. Between stuffed crust, dippable crust, cookie pizzas (come on!), cheeseburger pizza, I don't get it. You know what's good? Pizza. Don't try so hard.

I concur with the masked gentleman from fairport.

Speaking of Pizza, Buffalo def has its own Pizza Style. Any other ex pats around the country notice this?

Yep. Most other places, excluding Chicago is a sad imitation of Brooklyn style, which is that thin, floppy nonsense. I hear out west it's all thin cracker-like crust. One variation is (and I don't know how prevalent) Sicilian crust. These are usually square and thick-crust; not the same as Buffalo thick crust, however. We made pizza today from a Wegmans Organic dough-ball and it's the closest thing you'll find to Buffalo-style. I'm trying to think of a bread that has a similar texture but I'm drawing a blank. Dense with air bubbles, chewy, a bit of yeast to it, and perfectly capable of holding up the weight of the toppings.

Another note: green olives on pizza are as common as unicorns outside WNY.

I spent last weekend out at the coast at camp with my daughters' Y Princesses tribe. We had a wonderful time fishing, canoeing, shooting bb guns, archery, searching for shark teeth, singing karaoke and on and on. My daughter still hasn't stopped talking about it. It's a wonderful program for dads to spend quality time and create lifelong memories with their kids ...

Here's what sucks..one of the dads from another tribe collapsed from a heart attack and died on Saturday. They did a good job shielding the kids from the incident and did their best to carry on the rest of the weekend as normal, but after the girls were asleep and the dad's from our tribe gathered around the campfire things grew pretty somber. That nightmare could have been any of us and our families. Despite how much my daughter loved the weekend, I still can't stop thinking of that what that poor girl and her family are going through. Life just ain't fair.

uhhhh... having a uterus really sucks. I get the stomach flu once a month and have to work through puking stealthily in the restroom and passing out in my chair from pain without being noticed. I've done both today! But you can't talk about it because ewwwww. I get all grumpy and wonder if there'd be more work from home/sick days if dudes dealt with this too. 

Harumph! 

I actually don't know what you mean- I've only ever eaten pizza at a couple places in Buffalo and hadn't noticed a difference. What is it? Enlighten me! Love me some good 'za.

Aye. It's a very "two kinds of people in this world.." sort of division. I love it. Hated it as a kid. Funnily enough, it was massively popular in Germany when I've visited. Struck me as odd. 

Think most like that one in Europe, what's not to like about it.   Pizza Hawaii is very popular here.

Pineapple and ham love it :D

Aye. It's a very "two kinds of people in this world.." sort of division. I love it. Hated it as a kid. Funnily enough, it was massively popular in Germany when I've visited. Struck me as odd. 

There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who understand binary and those that don't.

(I can't believe I'm making that joke)

Had to drop my son off at his first day of preschool.  I think it was harder on me then it was on him.  Time goes by too fast.....

I don't have kids, but I have two dogs and take them to a day care facility twice a week.. The first time I did that, I felt the same way you did...harder on me than on them.

At least with dogs, they'll forget about you after 20 seconds, but once you arrive to take them home, life is grand for them again.  :wub:

Edited by Buffalo Wings

VW is apparently going to the federal judge today with a plan to offer a buyback of all their affected diesel cars, as well as a $5000 settlement with every customer, in order to avoid to going to trial.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2016/04/volkswagen-poised-to-offer-a-mass-buyback-program/

I really don't want to have my car bought back, but I think the other option is to let VW "fix" it, which I hate even more, because there's no way I want to own a car long term that isn't working the way it was designed to. No bueno. 

I'd be crazy not to sell my car back to VW. But man, I don't like ANYTHING else out there right now. Everything else in the Golf class is just terrible looking and has zero appeal. I really didn't want to go back to a truck or an SUV, but I don't think there would be any reason for me to stay in the hatchback segment without the TDI Golf. Lord knows I'm not going anywhere near VW when this mess is all over with. The GTI would be the only car I'd be interested in there and it's really no better on gas than a lot of much larger and more practical cars. I could get a stripped down fullsize Ram with their extremely good Diesel that would get just a little less MPG than the GTI. 

Not happy about this whole thing. I'll take that $5000 settlement and use it to pay off all of my credit card debt, and I'll take that buyback money and go somewhere else, but I won't be happy about it. I love my car. 

Just got home and a bomb was dropped.  A close family member was diagnosed with ALS today.  WTAF?

Very sorry to hear this We've.  I think ALS treatment has progressed over the last 15-20 years (I lost a friend to it about 20 years ago), but it's still no picnic.  I also think though that there are varying degrees -- hopefully your family member isn't stricken too severely.

I spent last weekend out at the coast at camp with my daughters' Y Princesses tribe. We had a wonderful time fishing, canoeing, shooting bb guns, archery, searching for shark teeth, singing karaoke and on and on. My daughter still hasn't stopped talking about it. It's a wonderful program for dads to spend quality time and create lifelong memories with their kids ...

Here's what sucks..one of the dads from another tribe collapsed from a heart attack and died on Saturday. They did a good job shielding the kids from the incident and did their best to carry on the rest of the weekend as normal, but after the girls were asleep and the dad's from our tribe gathered around the campfire things grew pretty somber. That nightmare could have been any of us and our families. Despite how much my daughter loved the weekend, I still can't stop thinking of that what that poor girl and her family are going through. Life just ain't fair.

Sorry about this too Claude.  I can totally empathize.  I posted a couple of weeks ago that an old friend from HS, with whom I'd lost touch many years ago, also died suddenly of a heart attack.  He left a wife and 3 kids.  SFiNS astutely noted that one of the reasons I've been dwelling on this a bit is what you said above (in bold).  I have life insurance, but my family needs me for more than paying the bills.  I don't like thinking about my kids having to grow up and figure out how to navigate life's many challenges without me, or my wife having to handle everything she does now, plus everything I do (I like to think her initial euphoria about her newfound freedom would fade after a while).

It's sad and scary.  I exercise and try to eat right, but I think genetics play a huge role in mortality, and both of my grandfathers died in their 60s from heart conditions.

OTOH, spring is in the air and I think the Sabres are on their way back -- so there's a lot to enjoy before the sandman comes.

VW is apparently going to the federal judge today with a plan to offer a buyback of all their affected diesel cars, as well as a $5000 settlement with every customer, in order to avoid to going to trial.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2016/04/volkswagen-poised-to-offer-a-mass-buyback-program/

I really don't want to have my car bought back, but I think the other option is to let VW "fix" it, which I hate even more, because there's no way I want to own a car long term that isn't working the way it was designed to. No bueno. 

I'd be crazy not to sell my car back to VW. But man, I don't like ANYTHING else out there right now. Everything else in the Golf class is just terrible looking and has zero appeal. I really didn't want to go back to a truck or an SUV, but I don't think there would be any reason for me to stay in the hatchback segment without the TDI Golf. Lord knows I'm not going anywhere near VW when this mess is all over with. The GTI would be the only car I'd be interested in there and it's really no better on gas than a lot of much larger and more practical cars. I could get a stripped down fullsize Ram with their extremely good Diesel that would get just a little less MPG than the GTI. 

Not happy about this whole thing. I'll take that $5000 settlement and use it to pay off all of my credit card debt, and I'll take that buyback money and go somewhere else, but I won't be happy about it. I love my car. 

I think you're right that the prudent move would be to sell the car back and take the $5K.

Also, Mazda makes a pretty nice and sporty hatchback.

I don't have kids, but I have two dogs and take them to a day care facility twice a week.. The first time I did that, I felt the same way you did...harder on me than on them.

At least with dogs, they'll forget about you after 20 seconds, but once you arrive to take them home, life is grand for them again.  :wub:

Knowing him he will forget about me after 20 seconds as well hahahhahha.  Out of curiosity, what kind of dogs?  My great dane only wishes I would drop her off for doggy daycare but I looked into the fees and told her sorry, I'll walk you when I get home hahahaha.

A friend of mine from High School has a blood clot thing that cost him his leg in the past and had a heart attack on Monday. We're not close or anything, but it's especially sad because he's been super-upbeat on FB. His dog was in the Westminster Dog Show earlier this year and he's just been over the moon with it. There's no prognosis yet and there was damage to his heart. Just sucks.

Edited by MattPie

Very sorry to hear this We've.  I think ALS treatment has progressed over the last 15-20 years (I lost a friend to it about 20 years ago), but it's still no picnic.  I also think though that there are varying degrees -- hopefully your family member isn't stricken too severely.

Sorry about this too Claude.  I can totally empathize.  I posted a couple of weeks ago that an old friend from HS, with whom I'd lost touch many years ago, also died suddenly of a heart attack.  He left a wife and 3 kids.  SFiNS astutely noted that one of the reasons I've been dwelling on this a bit is what you said above (in bold).  I have life insurance, but my family needs me for more than paying the bills.  I don't like thinking about my kids having to grow up and figure out how to navigate life's many challenges without me, or my wife having to handle everything she does now, plus everything I do (I like to think her initial euphoria about her newfound freedom would fade after a while).

It's sad and scary.  I exercise and try to eat right, but I think genetics play a huge role in mortality, and both of my grandfathers died in their 60s from heart conditions.

OTOH, spring is in the air and I think the Sabres are on their way back -- so there's a lot to enjoy before the sandman comes.

I think you're right that the prudent move would be to sell the car back and take the $5K.

Also, Mazda makes a pretty nice and sporty hatchback.

I looked into the Mazda3 when I was shopping around, but it has the same problem most hatches do in the US, which is an aggressively raked rear hatch that dramatically reduces useful cargo space. The Golf has a cargo area profile that is basically square which makes it excellent for filling with stuff. I'm really stuck if I have to get rid of my Golf. It seriously checks ALL the boxes for me.  :(

I looked into the Mazda3 when I was shopping around, but it has the same problem most hatches do in the US, which is an aggressively raked rear hatch that dramatically reduces useful cargo space. The Golf has a cargo area profile that is basically square which makes it excellent for filling with stuff. I'm really stuck if I have to get rid of my Golf. It seriously checks ALL the boxes for me.  :(

Why don't you just keep it if you like it?  You don't have to trade it.

Why don't you just keep it if you like it?  You don't have to trade it.

I would have no choice. The car would be illegal to own if I don't let Volkswagen "fix" it, and as far as I'm concerned any kind of "fix" is a non-starter for me. The car wasn't designed to run the way it would have to after VW "fixes" it, so I would be wary of reduced performance, lower long term reliability, poor service from VW due to money problems, etc. The only other option then is to participate in the buy-back. The owners of these cars are going to get f*cked either way, and I'm not going to stick around waiting for VW to "fix" my car. That has bad news written all over it. I'll cut my losses and get out. 

What year and model do you have?  I checked specs on Edmunds out of curiosity.  The 2014 Golf TDI has 15.2 cubic feet of trunk space with the seats in place; the 2014 mazda 3 hatchback has 20.2 cubic feet.

What year and model do you have?  I checked specs on Edmunds out of curiosity.  The 2014 Golf TDI has 15.2 cubic feet of trunk space with the seats in place; the 2014 mazda 3 hatchback has 20.2 cubic feet.

It's a 2015. But I've always found that cubic space numbers alone are a bad measure of actual cargo space usability. The Mazda might have more, but I didn't find it to be better

Three words for ya. JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE.

Three words for ya. JEEP GRAND CHEROKEE.

Not really enough utility there to justify the added size, fuel economy, etc. If I'm going to buy something that big I'll just go all the way and get a pickup. There's no point for me in stopping at Grand Cherokee. 

lol

What about the new Golf? What do you dislike on it?

I like the Golf. There's just no way in hell I'm putting myself back into another VW after all of this. No way do I trust them to be putting out quality vehicles and providing good service after spending billions of dollars on settlements and buybacks. I would love to just shift over into a Golf GTI, but I can't see myself making the same mistake twice. It'll take me a good 20 years to get over this whole thing. 

When I start it, will it sound like it might shake my house off its foundation? If not, no thanks. (in my best toddler voice "Hemi")

:flirt: 

To be honest, this is probably what I would spec out:

Ram - Build & Price - Vehicle Summary.pdf

It's a 2015. But I've always found that cubic space numbers alone are a bad measure of actual cargo space usability. The Mazda might have more, but I didn't find it to be better

I have a 2015 Mazda 3 hatch and I'm not sure I'd trade it for anything.  I've never enjoyed owning and driving a car so much. 

It's a 2015. But I've always found that cubic space numbers alone are a bad measure of actual cargo space usability. The Mazda might have more, but I didn't find it to be better.

I agree with this, as the same can be said for interior space. The form the space takes makes a huge difference.