Complaint Thursdays

LabattBlue

Look, I will only talk politics as long as you continue to assert your completely uninformed and ignorant opinions. Other than that, I'm happy to keep this off of the board.

Blah, blah, blah, blah

I edited to blah, blah for brevity, not out of disrespect. Just so there isn't a misunderstaning about that. All your points are worthwhile. But......

I hate to break it to you but the "other side" is every bit as disinterested in you, your family, etc. etc as the side you are chastising. This is the big falsehood of the whole Dems vs. Repubs garbage. Look at the policies that have been implemented by the last two Dem administrations. They look a whole lot like the ones implemented by Repubs. Both parties are interested in keeping their corporate sponsors happy (they just happen to choose different industries ;) ) and they both insist on empire building. The only thing they are concerned with is power and their side winning at all costs. The current administration is every bit the corporate stooge the previous administration was, and the many administrations previous for quite some time. The idea that Democrats are somehow more interested in the common man is a farce. Their only interest is in buying votes, just like Repubs. They are not interested in your happiness and well being. If something they've enacted socially does positively affect your well being it is gravy. They don't want your happiness, they want your vote. And they'll tell you whatever you want to hear to get it. Even if it means promising you something they can't pay for.

Republican = Democrat.

• Like (+1) 6

I meant politics in general. Read the first line of my first post in response to yours.

EDIT: In fact, read that whole post again without responding with a clip from "Stripes." (Funny, but avoiding the issues.) Think again about the religion you profess, and think again about American politics. WWJD? And I'm not being snarky with that.

With all due respect, at this point, I am only going to address the WWJD thing you mentioned. I do not follow it as most people glibly understand it, and the link I am providing should be helpful in explaining why. (BTW, I'm not the one who wrote it.)

• Like (+1) 1

I edited to blah, blah for brevity, not out of disrespect. Just so there isn't a misunderstaning about that. All your points are worthwhile. But......

I hate to break it to you but the "other side" is every bit as disinterested in you, your family, etc. etc as the side you are chastising. This is the big falsehood of the whole Dems vs. Repubs garbage. Look at the policies that have been implemented by the last two Dem administrations. They look a whole lot like the ones implemented by Repubs. Both parties are interested in keeping their corporate sponsors happy (they just happen to choose different industries ;) ) and they both insist on empire building. The only thing they are concerned with is power and their side winning at all costs. The current administration is every bit the corporate stooge the previous administration was, and the many administrations previous for quite some time. The idea that Democrats are somehow more interested in the common man is a farce. Their only interest is in buying votes, just like Repubs. They are not interested in your happiness and well being. If something they've enacted socially does positively affect your well being it is gravy. They don't want your happiness, they want your vote. And they'll tell you whatever you want to hear to get it. Even if it means promising you something they can't pay for.

Republican = Democrat.

Until your last line, I wholeheartedly agree. I'm not registered with either party (or any party). Never will be. But Republican /= Democrat; they are protecting different special interests. And yes, both are interested in acquiring power for the sake of power.

I will say this, though, the last American president that I've seen who is genuinely interested in improving our country is the current one. That doesn't mean that all Democrat presidents are like that (I'm lookin' at you, Kennedy), but it does mean that I'm sick of people bashing Pres. Obama just because he's not on their "team."

Politics isn't sports. It isn't "Hey, I'm a Sabres fan, so I'll always hate the Sens." It's fluid, and smart voting requires a look behind the talking heads, whether conservative or liberal. I have voted for Republicans for high offices before (and for lower offices); I just don't like the spewing I've seen lately, and I spoke my mind. (And not all of the spewing has come from XC; it was a long day of reading ######.)

I'll also say this: we've been through this before a few times before you joined the board; there is a history here. I'm not so much a zealot as I am a zealous anti-zealot (that was a purposeful oxymoron, for those who don't think I know what "apoplectic" means).

• Like (+1) 1

With all due respect, at this point, I am only going to address the WWJD thing you mentioned. I do not follow it as most people glibly understand it, and the link I am providing should be helpful in explaining why. (BTW, I'm not the one who wrote it.)

I'll sum up my view of Christianity in three words: amor vincit omnia.

I know not everyone will agree. But it's my religion, too, and I'm sick of it being co-opted by fearmongers.

• Like (+1) 1

Until your last line, I wholeheartedly agree. I'm not registered with either party (or any party). Never will be. But Republican /= Democrat; they are protecting different special interests. And yes, both are interested in acquiring power for the sake of power.

I will say this, though, the last American president that I've seen who is genuinely interested in improving our country is the current one. That doesn't mean that all Democrat presidents are like that (I'm lookin' at you, Kennedy), but it does mean that I'm sick of people bashing Pres. Obama just because he's not on their "team."

Politics isn't sports. It isn't "Hey, I'm a Sabres fan, so I'll always hate the Sens." It's fluid, and smart voting requires a look behind the talking heads, whether conservative or liberal. I have voted for Republicans for high offices before (and for lower offices); I just don't like the spewing I've seen lately, and I spoke my mind. (And not all of the spewing has come from XC; it was a long day of reading ######.)

I'll also say this: we've been through this before a few times before you joined the board; there is a history here. I'm not so much a zealot as I am a zealous anti-zealot (that was a purposeful oxymoron, for those who don't think I know what "apoplectic" means).

1. I wasn't so much responding to your line of debate with XC as I was clarifying for all how similar these two parties really are and that blind faith *and blind hatred* in either party is just blind. They both need to be viewed with skepticism by the masses because their interests do not include us.

2. I doubt BO is any more earnest in his efforts to improve the country than any other President. He is no more, and no less, interested in things going well on his watch thatn any other Prez.

3. The last line is the most accurate IMO. If the only difference is the industries that they favor, there really isn't enough differnece to matter.

Anyone really want to make a difference? Support your 3rd party candidates. And don;t just vote for them. Work for them and spread the word. Real change will only come form the outside.

• Like (+1) 3

1. I wasn't so much responding to your line of debate with XC as I was clarifying for all how similar these two parties really are and that blind faith *and blind hatred* in either party is just blind. They both need to be viewed with skepticism by the masses because their interests do not include us.

2. I doubt BO is any more earnest in his efforts to improve the country than any other President. He is no more, and no less, interested in things going well on his watch thatn any other Prez.

3. The last line is the most accurate IMO. If the only difference is the industries that they favor, there really isn't enough differnece to matter.

Anyone really want to make a difference? Support your 3rd party candidates. And don;t just vote for them. Work for them and spread the word. Real change will only come form the outside.

On no. 2, I just disagree. I think this guy is genuine.

On the last line, it is VERY tough in NYS (or at least in WNY) to get any real attention to a third party candidate, because the Dems and Reps "split up" the so-called third-party lines. It's downright dirty on both sides. We love to talk about democracy in this country, but we are not as well-off in that respect as a few other countries are. (But we are SO MUCH better off than many more other countries are, too.)

Anyway. It's Complaint Thursday. Here's my complaint: It's starting to get dark before 9pm. Time to plan the migration to Chile in November.

• Like (+1) 2

the republicans and the democrats suck and they keep screwing us all over while lining their pockets with our money through manipulation and taking lobbyist money. In the end we lose, joe schmoe and us all. The debt ceiling was raised and the problem persists and therefore I view this "saving debt legislation" as a crappy POS that was implemented to keep the American ppl from rioting in the streets. Dear Baby Boomers get the F*CK OUT OF OFFICE you miserable old farts, your legacy is ruining this country for the rest of us!

• Like (+1) 2

The problem with party and politics in this country is not the politicians. It can't be, we actually have reasonably accountable elections commissions that do a pretty good job at getting 100 million plus people a chance to have their say. The problem is not the special interests either. I say this because my money is my money and if I want to spend it on an ad comparing GWB to the Hamburgler I will and you won't stop me.

The problem in this country can be summed up in a millenia old biblical analogy. We (The American People) are sheep. The leaders are just the ones who've figured out how to be shepherds. We hear the fear mongering - "They'll have to teach Gay Intercourse in 4th grade Health Class!" or "they'll sell your mother to the arabs for another drop of oil!"- and we buy it every time. There is no political due diligence in this country, none. And until there is a critical mass of people savvy enough to learn an issue before forming a hardened opinion on it, we will be in the same state of affairs we've been in since the 1880s. WE ARE SHEEP.

I see only one shortcut to improved civics in this country. A Constitutional Amendment that both limits undisclosed political funding (i would not limit the funding, just ensure disclosure) and sets term limits for the house (4 terms) and senate (2 terms). This amendment will NEVER be proposed by the congress, so the only chance is to get 34 state legislatures to approve the proposal and force a ratification vote. This is not out of the realm of possibility, but it's going to need a coordinated national effort to put pressure on state legislatures. /soapbox

• Like (+1) 3

I still don't understand why people care. It's completely meaningless. I never even notice the damn thing until people start mentioning it.

I like my positive rep :( It makes me feel important. :unsure:

That said, I was one of the originals against the negative rep option. I think it's time now to consider its removal.

• Like (+1) 2

I still don't understand why people care. It's completely meaningless. I never even notice the damn thing until people start mentioning it.

Actually I didn't even notice there was one until just now. I think I'll forget all about it in a minute or two.

• Like (+1) 2

I'll sum up my view of Christianity in three words: amor vincit omnia.

I know not everyone will agree. But it's my religion, too, and I'm sick of it being co-opted by fearmongers.

Here's my religion -

Do what you wanna

Do what you will

Just don't mess up

Your neighbor's thrill

'N when you pay the bill

Kindly leave a little tip

And help the next poor sucker

On his one way trip...

Last verse of Frank Zappa's "The Meek Shall Inherit Nothing".

welcome back my friends to the show that never ends...

is it Friday yet? I've already spent almost 40 hours at work this week...and i'm salary so there is no compensation for the ridiculous amount of extra time I put in :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

Have you fought for that review that they kept pushing back yet? (apologies if I have you mixed up with someone else)

One day left of my week without cable or internet. It's been rough. Thank god for DVDs. Seinfeld has kept me going.

Have you fought for that review that they kept pushing back yet? (apologies if I have you mixed up with someone else)

One day left of my week without cable or internet. It's been rough. Thank god for DVDs. Seinfeld has kept me going.

I did. I finally got that review, and I was supposed to see a raise of 6% to 10% based on performance (only raise for a long while). I ended up getting an offer for a raise of 2% (and little feedback on my performance). I'm currently in the process of asking for more money in the most professional way, or an explanation of why I wasn't even considered for 6% - 10%...I just want to be able to pay my student loans, car loan, and still be able to take the girl out to a nice dinner...

Going without cable and internet for a week at home is rough...I can deal with going camping for a week without it, but when you're home, it sucks. Seinfeld is a good choice.