The New Sabres Logo Leaked

SDS

Does anyone else suspect that normally jovial and evenheaded Dave is in a rotten mood today? If so, I hope your mood brightens, my friend. I know a lot of people are complaining about the cool July weather, but I love days like. I'm happy as a clam. Now we just have to work on Dave. :)

Cool July weather? Can you send some to the Carolinas? Another 95+ degree day...

Yeah the new logo still sucks...

Looking at it again, with a little tweaking the rumored new logo isn't that horrible.

Change it from being Orange to a white Buffalo, and fix the eye so it doesn't look like a mask and it isn't that bad

You are right. It goes from being an orange slug with a mask on, to a white slug with no mask. :lol:

Apologies to you BM. My original critique was overly harsh. :(

PA's right. It's been a lousy morning. :angry:

No worries, Dave - been there, especially a lot lately. The cross-country move is stressing me out big time.

Cool July weather? Can you send some to the Carolinas? Another 95+ degree day...

Yeah the new logo still sucks...

While you're at it, you could send some cool weather to Orlando, especially for next Thursday, when we'll be packing up the moving truck. We're going to do it early in the a.m. so it won't be too unbearable, but here in July there are just levels of uncomfortable - early morning is mildly uncomfortable, early afternoon is pretty uncomfortable, and late afternoon/early evening is completely uncomfortable. :(

No worries, Dave - been there, especially a lot lately. The cross-country move is stressing me out big time.

While you're at it, you could send some cool weather to Orlando, especially for next Thursday, when we'll be packing up the moving truck. We're going to do it early in the a.m. so it won't be too unbearable, but here in July there are just levels of uncomfortable - early morning is mildly uncomfortable, early afternoon is pretty uncomfortable, and late afternoon/early evening is completely uncomfortable. :(

Where are you headed Bmwolf21?

Just outside Cleveland - my wife got a job in Independence, which is just south of the city. Means I'll be much more likely to make a home game or 4 this year, since we'll be about 3 hours away...

I agree. Why can't they just pay the guys some money and use his designs? Is that soooo difficult? He has almost 10,000 signatures on his website in support.

C'mon Sabres. Do something with your website too.

I agree wholeheartedly with your avatar. That second design you have showing is way too reminiscent of something that would have come out of some '70s expansion team like the Oakland Seals.

Note to Sabres Management: Follow SCSabresFan's advice from the avatar.

My thing is, why change it? The Bisonhead with the redeye is fine with me.

Nothing will beat these...

http://www.celsiusdesign.net/sabres/jerseys.html

I would prefer more of a yellow than the "puke gold", but they are a hundred times better than what SDS found and posted.

You've got to be kidding me!!!

After reading a sampling of the posts on this topic, it reminded me of the Mr. Blackwell award that Phil Esposito dished out for Worst Third Jersey back in (I think it was) either April or May on Home Ice (XM 204). He gave the award to the Nashville Predators. I haven't seen that jersey to this date, but that one may seem pretty compared to the absolutely rancid showing of that streaking gold eyebrow.

It's just absolutely pathetic. I'd rather wear a brown paper bag over my head and call that the new Sabres logo.

That classic jersey kicks ass! I would buy five of those things and wear them everyday. The only change I might make is to replace the cartoon sword Bs with blue and gold goatheads on the shoulders.

Man this uniform change was such a freakin' no-brainer. They didn't even have to hire a designer. It's hard to believe that they're going to screw it up.

By the way, the slug logo has gray in it. Will the new jersey be blue, gold, and gray?!?!?!

Well NOTHING is OFFICIAL yet so like I said, I will Believe it when I see players actually Wearing the new Jersey...
Yeah, I agree. But if the Sabres Organization get enough feedback, maybe they will give us something official. I for one do not want to wait until september to see if this monstrosity is actually our new logo.

I'm a little skeptical about this logo leak. Why would you slap a giant Confidential Until September 2006 on it? Doesn't that go without saying to the people who designed the logos?

Either this is real, or some person has played the biggest hoax on the city of Buffalo and is laughing behind their computer screen.

I will laugh if that is case, which it probably is...

We can only hope. Good god does it look bad. The avatar for TBD's BuffalO5 is the best (using it as the toupe for Barney Rubble). We can only laugh... then cry in our beer, if this turns out to be official.

here's a thought. now instead of the sabre dance playing as the team takes the ice we can have a new song.

"RING-RING-RING-RING-RING-RING-RING...BANANA SLUGS!"

/hates the new logo

//will still watch every game next year

///longtime lurker finally makes a post

Another reason I suspect this is a fake is because of the trademark symbol that is blatantly placed beneath "the slug". I don't understand how a logo that hasn't even been unveiled can be trademarked months before its supposed release, unless they committed themselves to it a long time ago.

Trademark databases are available to the public online. I don't know how often the online ones are updated, but it wouldn't hurt to look.

EDIT:

From -- http://www.carrferrell.com/expertise/ip-trademarkFAQ.html#4

"The time required to register a mark typically ranges from 18 to 24 months, depending on the nature of the objections raised by the Trademark Office, and how quickly the products or services are brought to market after the application is filed. In many cases, the time period will be more than two years."

I was also poking around the online Trademark database for the Buffalo Sabres and you can see how they filed for a registration/trademark in 1970, but I don't think they were officially trademarked until sometime in 1971.

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=doc&state=vqbk39.2.2

Filing Date October 15th, 1970

Registration Date September 14, 1971

Another reason I suspect this is a fake is because of the trademark symbol that is blatantly placed beneath "the slug". I don't understand how a logo that hasn't even been unveiled can be trademarked months before its supposed release, unless they committed themselves to it a long time ago.

Trademark databases are available to the public online. I don't know how often the online ones are updated, but it wouldn't hurt to look.

EDIT:

From -- http://www.carrferrell.com/expertise/ip-trademarkFAQ.html#4

"The time required to register a mark typically ranges from 18 to 24 months, depending on the nature of the objections raised by the Trademark Office, and how quickly the products or services are brought to market after the application is filed. In many cases, the time period will be more than two years."

I was also poking around the online Trademark database for the Buffalo Sabres and you can see how they filed for a registration/trademark in 1970, but I don't think they were officially trademarked until sometime in 1971.

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=doc&state=vqbk39.2.2

Filing Date October 15th, 1970

Registration Date September 14, 1971

Your trademark doesn't have to be registered to use the "TM". It does need to be registered though to use the R w/ a circle around it. (A service mark doesn't need to be registered to use "SM" either.)

But a non-registered trademark doesn't hold the same legal protections as one registered with the USPTO.

here's a thought. now instead of the sabre dance playing as the team takes the ice we can have a new song.

"RING-RING-RING-RING-RING-RING-RING...BANANA SLUGS!"

/hates the new logo

//will still watch every game next year

///longtime lurker finally makes a post

It really does look like a banana slug!!! (see avatar)

Archived