The New Sabres Logo Leaked

SDS

I really like the Alt_Buffalo at the bottom of this page: http://www.celsiusdesign.net/sabres/logos.html

If they added some crossed sabres to that buffalo, I would be a very happy man.

But, come on, it's too late. For whatever reason, it didn't work out for this designer. Whoever he is, wherever he is, I hope he's doing well in this field. He's very talented. My beef with his concept that everyone likes is that the buffalo looked very jagged and computer-generated.

i'm hoping this is just one of the "rejected" designs. i remember about 5 years ago when the caps were going to do a new logo and jersey (again, after having recently done it) and somehow the jersey design leaked and a hockey supply company (ocean out of new jersey) put it in their catalogs. well, the caps ended up pulling those jerseys and never using them.

As far as the petition on the Celcius site, it's too self-serving. A legitimate petition should be more grassroots, with no connection to the designer.

PTR

I wouldn't mind throwing him a bone. I'm sure these designs he did on his spare time and without compensation. They kick ass - plain and simple and he should be rewarded for the effort. Maybe the Dali Lama will give him total consciousness on his deathbed.

i'm hoping this is just one of the "rejected" designs. i remember about 5 years ago when the caps were going to do a new logo and jersey (again, after having recently done it) and somehow the jersey design leaked and a hockey supply company (ocean out of new jersey) put it in their catalogs. well, the caps ended up pulling those jerseys and never using them.

It's going to be even more funny when the Sabres start off the 06-07 season wearing the current uniforms. Then people will finally realize how pointless all of this is.

For those not familiar with how logo/jersey changing works, it usually goes something like this:

The team makes the decision to change logos, or get a new alternate, etc. It's almost always a marketing decision, and the unveilings are planned to be right before the season or as nearest to the holidays as possible.

A committee is formed of marketing, general managing, equipment managing, and others to administer the process.

Phone calls to all local logo designers and powerful-enough marketing firms, as well as many around the country, are made, and each will usually submit a few ideas before a deadline. In our case, this deadline was sometime back in the fall.

The ideas are screened by the committee, based on a general set of rules (which colors are right, can the jersey actually be constructed (ie not too many different mesh fields), what's not total ass, etc).

The ones that pass the screening, are taken by the marketing department, and shown to test groups to get feedback. This process eliminates many, many options.

They take the winners, examine the feedback, and work with the artists to adapt the concept to incorporate all the good and drop all the bad.

They go back to the test groups with a finalist group of logos, and they hear the feedback. A decision by the committee is made, the owners approve, and the new logo/jersey is kept secret until the unveiling if you're not the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim. All of this was done by the time Larry Quinn admitted to WGR on-air that we're going to change as soon as the NHL-RBK deal was anounced and that the test-groups had already seen the logos.

We're currently at this point. For those that don't like this logo idea, and I might be with you, there's hope. Almost all of the ideas submitted need to be on a form, so the test groups all have the same backgrounds to the image. There might be hundreds of new Sabres logos on official-looking forms floating around. Chances are that this is one got rejected early, and has been leaked by the artist or firm that designed it.

This logo, if it's an authentic submission, was designed by the Atlanta-based J Patton Sports Marketing Group (http://www.jpattonsports.com). They've done NHL, ECHL, NCAA, IRL, CFL, AFL, and a bunch of other logo shiznit. Their main phone number is (770) 612-0400. The phone number on the image is (770) 612-0476. Give 'em a call!

Something fun to try would be to fax ((770) 612-0439) them that "confidential image." Maybe ask on the same page if this is confirmed as a go. You'll have the Buffalo area code on the fax info.

The ones that pass the screening, are taken by the marketing department, and shown to test groups to get feedback. This process eliminates many, many options.

The dreaded "focus group" is where many a bad decision is made. I have been through enough of them to know that there are a million things that can go wrong: Group moderator is incompetant, asks the wrong questions, interprets the reactions incorrectly, testing on wrong group, badly assembled group, too few focus groups for a proper sample, unwilling to reveal too much info too group for fear of leaks, someone in the organization likes one idea best and makes that clear going in to the focus group moderator, etc, etc etc!

It's actually a miracle if an idea that comes out of this process actually succeeds!

PTR

After much deliberation (a few seconds), I have decided this must be for the new Buffalo, Wyoming WCHL franchise as one could wipe their *ss and come up with a better design.

....I hope they didn't pay to much for this modern art disaster.

I wouldn't mind throwing him a bone. I'm sure these designs he did on his spare time and without compensation. They kick ass - plain and simple and he should be rewarded for the effort. Maybe the Dali Lama will give him total consciousness on his deathbed.

So he's got that going for him, which is nice....

I'm surprised some of you haven't lifted the links from a poster on HFBoards giving some credibility to the swoosh Buffalo head logo.

Check out the Sabres chopper swoosh gas tank and also the HSBC swoosh logo. They kind of resemble the logo.

http://www.rodandpiston.com/cruise/sandr06...b/randp_263.jpg

http://www.hsbcarena.com/

Good find (the HSBC one)...all that tells me, though, is that somebody making a bid thought it might be a good idea to incorporate the arena logo into their design. Nothing more. I still think (hope) this is a fake.

Good find (the HSBC one)...all that tells me, though, is that somebody making a bid thought it might be a good idea to incorporate the arena logo into their design. Nothing more. I still think (hope) this is a fake.

I think you're right. The more I look at it, these HAVE to be fake. You'd have to be brain dead to think these are a good idea.

I really hope that these are the actual design only because it pisses everyone off that were whining that Buffalo HAS TO GO BACK TO BLUE AND GOLD and need a new logo. Guess what, now you got it and are still crying that its not what you wanted or that its not the old uniforms.

Face it people, as much as you wish and hope, THEY ARE NOT GOING TO GO ACK TO THEIR OLD UNIFORMS. The closest you will get is a redesign of the old uniform and from the sounds of it, they are going for a complete redisgn using a different shade of Blue and Gold (even though the original was technically more of a yellow then gold)

There is an online petition on his website. If I lived in the Buffalo area, I would contact some members of the press. They would love to jump on a story like this. Underdog vs. Corporate big wigs. Anyone have connections? Where is Rick Azar when we need him!

We already took it to the press in March 2003. He was on local radio shows....

Do you know any focus groups or Marketing people?

Somebody give the man a prize!!!

Remember New Coke? All the marketing folks though they had a winner because the fous groups told them so.

Archived