The New Sabres Logo Leaked

SDS

If in fact this new logo is for real, I for one will be very unimpressed.

I agree with them going back to the old colours, but I also believe they should go back to the original logo. It is rugged enough. It's sharp enough. It says it all. Buffalo Sabres without having to use words. It is the only logo ever that says the team's name without the need to use words.

If they change to another new fangled logo like the mullet one, I will be very upset.

A few random thoughts on the logo:

1. Not to be a conspiracy theorist here, but WGR, the radio home of the Sabres, spent a considerable amount of time discussing the logo yesterday (referring listeners to this site, actually, to see it), and the host, our old pal Brad Riter, didn't seem to mind it. And the station's web site has a poll about the logo, with a strong majority "hating it." Is WGR a.) "pimping" the new logo or b.) participating in the team's process of testing public opinion? Or both or neither? I don't think they're pimping it -- because it's unpimpable. With the advent of the Internet, it's a lot tougher to shape public opinion these days. The fans have rejected the Legless Polecat. Pep? is roadkill.

2. There's an old saying, "Underpromise and overdeliver." Is it possible this piece of crap gets leaked, then when the real logo is unveiled, it looks so good in comparison, people soil themselves?

3. A sabre absolutely has to be incorporated into the design, IMNSHO. It doesn't have to be literal though, like the crossed sabres in the original logo. What if the buffalo's horn was an abstract sabre tip?

And a totally random thought. Why doesn't this sound effect play after the Sabres score?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/c/cd/Bison.wav

PA, if this indeed is a potential uniform, it was leaked on purpose. While its very easy for designs on the computer, and on secure internet servers to get leaked, if its done right, there's a 0% chance that the uniform would get leaked on accident. I think this is a test uniform to gauge public opinion. Larry quinn obviously reads billszone.com or whatever that site is... chances are, he reads this site too. My personal opinion is that it will be something in line with that celsius design logo. No way in hell they use that ugly ass logo.

I get what you're saying but WGR did make a good point. No matter what we think, a very small handful of hardcore fans visit message boards. The vast majority of WNY'ers will not see or pay any attention to "logo leaks" until the thing is actually released. Also, the typical hardcore fan hates anything new. I'm sure most of the people on message boards hated when the black and red ugly goat head uniform came out too. Unless it's the old blue & gold retro uniform, there will be haters.

98% of the community will see the new logo/uniform the day it is unveiled and they will swoop up jersey's and merchandise by the tons regardless of what the message board fans think.

That logo might be the worst thing I've ever seen. I'm actually worried this might be true because the Sabres think their website is great. Anyone that thinks that website is great might actually think these new colors and logos are great.

On a sidenote, I am continuing my binge fest here in Germany during the World Cup. I thought having 5-8 beers in me might change the way I feel about the logo, but some things are just too ugly no matter how drunk or sober you are.

I get what you're saying but WGR did make a good point. No matter what we think, a very small handful of hardcore fans visit message boards. The vast majority of WNY'ers will not see or pay any attention to "logo leaks" until the thing is actually released. Also, the typical hardcore fan hates anything new. I'm sure most of the people on message boards hated when the black and red ugly goat head uniform came out too. Unless it's the old blue & gold retro uniform, there will be haters.

98% of the community will see the new logo/uniform the day it is unveiled and they will swoop up jersey's and merchandise by the tons regardless of what the message board fans think.

Assuming this is true then I still don't see why the Sabres dont go for a mix of old and new with the new jerseys. If "hot pocket" fans (borrowing a TSW term) are going to buy the jerseys and merch anyway, why can't they at least acknowledge the great tradition by incorporating a sabre (or two) in the new logo for the hardcore base? Having said that, I'll still be shocked if these "leaked" designs we have seen over the past days are genuine.

It has to be genuine. I don't think that came from a 13-year-old hacker with Photoshop. It is professional quality -- we just don't like it. The question is if it's not our new logo, who created it and why did they leak it? Perhaps someone whose design was rejected, trying to get some revenge by having the fans say how wonderful it is? If so, that backfired, didn't it? :) I think it's more likely it's a trial balloon being floated by the Sabres.

I don't really know to think/believe about this franchise anymore. Trying to get solid information has been nearly impossible since the middle of the Sens series.

But... how can the Sabres organization think that anything short of some kind of circle/buffalo/sword combo is going to please the fanbase?

Also, was wearing the old jerseys before the lockout a knod that we were just going back to the old colors, or was it meant to signal the return of the logo as well?

Going into this I thought that they'd take the crossed butterknives 3rd jersey crest, add a buffalo to it, and change the color scheme to blue and gold. I still think thats what we're going to see. The only thing that scares me about the skunk bandit logo is that a few weeks ago soemone said we should expect to see a "Buffalo Bills like logo" which is what we've got in the skunk bandit.

I don't really know to think/believe about this franchise anymore. Trying to get solid information has been nearly impossible since the middle of the Sens series.

But... how can the Sabres organization think that anything short of some kind of circle/buffalo/sword combo is going to please the fanbase?

Also, was wearing the old jerseys before the lockout a knod that we were just going back to the old colors, or was it meant to signal the return of the logo as well?

Going into this I thought that they'd take the crossed butterknives 3rd jersey crest, add a buffalo to it, and change the color scheme to blue and gold. I still think thats what we're going to see. The only thing that scares me about the skunk bandit logo is that a few weeks ago soemone said we should expect to see a "Buffalo Bills like logo" which is what we've got in the skunk bandit.

Well, that was me who said that the logo was Bills like and even more bad news is that I just talked to the same person where I got the previous info and he confirmed that the new logo was a Buffalo without legs - crap

just in case marketing folks are checking out this site, I will add that EVERY SINGLE person I talked to about this logo HATES IT!!!!!!!!!

Add me to that list, then...I thought it was OK at best, but the more I look at it, the more I want one of the Celsius Designs. Damn whoever leaked this and got us all worked up...I don't want to see our guys wearing a cartoon logo when they represent the Eastern Conference in the SCF...

Adding to the conspiracy theories:

Has anyone else had trouble opening the Celsius Design page with the sample jerseys on it? I haven't been able to open it all day. At first I thought it was because he was getting too much traffic from here and from the WGR550.com posting.

But... what if he was told to take them down by the powers that be because he is in on the design that is ultimately to come (and assuming that the skunk bandit logo was floated as a distraction).

Fushetti has said over and over again that Slabyk was already once burned for being public, so that would explain the apparent silence of this guy (you'd think with all of WNY clamoring about you you'd come and post on the boards, or Channel 2,4, or 7 would find you). Unless Fushetti is Slabyk. Round and round we go........

:ph34r: THE SKUNK BANDIT STRIKES AGAIN! :ph34r:

i liked new coke and i was pissed when they stopped making it.

I like the original Coke. I hated when they changed the formula. I still don't know why it still says Coke Classic. They should just get rid of the Classic part and just call it Coke gosh darnit.

As for the conspiracy theory, I say Col. Mustard in the Library with the Wrench.

Someone said it looked like horned slug. That seems about right. I also think the blue is too dark. The Bflo news article tday says the blue is a shade darker then the old blue. I thougth it should be a shade lighter. The blue is going to look black on tv.

Archived