The New Sabres Logo Leaked

SDS

I have to admit I am not crazy about the new uniforms...however, with all of the discussion here on the valadity of these uniforms. Two points:

-These ARE the new uniforms

-The Sabres 3rd jersey WILL be the "Old School" jersey (used in 10 games this year)

This was relayed to me by someone in the organization who actually was used to try on the prototypes.

I have to admit I am not crazy about the new uniforms...however, with all of the discussion here on the valadity of these uniforms. Two points:

-These ARE the new uniforms

-The Sabres 3rd jersey WILL be the "Old School" jersey (used in 10 games this year)

This was relayed to me by someone in the organization who actually was used to try on the prototypes.

Well that's good. I was looking forward to buying a new jersey for my son and I. I will not buy this new monstrosity, but if the classic look will be our 3rd jersey that's better than nothing.

I've been kind of holding back on my opinion, but I just had a thought.

If there was a choice back in '96 of whether to use the skunk or the goathead, what do you think the consensus would be? Personally, I honestly think many would identify with the colors and choose the skunk logo.

With that said, the past 10 seasons in the black and red have yielded some great hockey and we've learned to associate the goathead jerseys with this. At this point, I don't see any logical reason to change to such a radical logo. The legend of blue and gold can't be disrespected like this. We are the Buffalo Sabres. Which our legendary logo (as someone has already pointed out) can tell you without any words. I personally do not want to support a uniform that seems to be copying off the goddamn Nashville Predators, but probably still doens't look as good - (I hate the Preds logo btw).

My hope isn't that they change to some sort of Celsius design jersey this season. That is close to impossible with the restrictions on when the team had to have it's logo and uniform set ready. However, I don't think it's out of the question to ask them to keep the black and red at least for one more year. This way they can have a mulligan and try again with the blue and gold for next year. I know this has happened before in sports (Green Bay Packers ('95), Washington Capitals ('02?), and the obvious New York Islanders) and it shouldn't be out of the question.

My plan was to buy a new Briere jersey at the unveiling. However, I notice that you can personalize the throwback blue and gold. So if you feel like buying a blue and gold jersey and not supporting the new uniform, buy a throwback like I'll be doing.

Go Sabres in '06-'07!

The first question any designer should have asked is what values should the logo represent? What do you want the logo to say about your team? Design/marketing 101. Maybe that question was asked, but what does the result actually say about the Sabres? To me, it shouts weakness and trendiness and cuteness -- something not to be taken seriously, just look at the immediate jokes people are making about it. Now, the logo stands for more than the team. It stands for the city. A place known as "the city of no illusions." Not a weak or trendy or cute place at all. It stands for the animal too. The buffalo, like Buffalo, is strong, a survivor. It perseveres, like our sports team, even through disappointing losses and ownership scandals. The city, the team and the animal have so much in common. But the logo does not represent strength or the spirit of that noble beast. This design begged for a strong iconic image that would represent the city and the team at the same time. That it doesn't is an even bigger mistake than not having a sabre in the logo. In the infamous words of Lindy Ruff, "that's a joke!"

hey everyone ... I'm John Slabyk ... the guy who put together the Blue & Gold Project a few years ago.

I recently posted some info for anyone interested over on this thread: http://www.sabresreport.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=4941

also just wanted to add some thoughts.

I just read that this was one of a series of proposals ... this one having been put together by JPatton ( http://www.jpattonsports.com ). This one had the best results in their focus groups, which apparently did not consist of buffalonians, or the correct age group completely.

They are sports marketing group which means they attempt to cater to the bottom line mentality, rather than the fans first, which then adds to the bottomline in the long run. Their business model is most likely skewed, which is why you see this result. Not enough brand recognition / research, too much time spent on market tests and comparisons. What this means is that their meetings would go a bit like this ... "the yellow buffalo got a higher response than white buffalo because its more vibrant against blue jersey, overall, with a 10% higher response, it makes more sense to use that." Whereas instead .. it should be, white buffalo has a mythological and historical background that can be transferred to multiple campaigns and marketing material ( think white buffaloes charging on 30 second tv spots, and large white buffalo herds charging on larger than life posters throughout the arena .... think campaign slogans that can come out of this ) to gain fan response which can be transferred to higher ticket sales and more merch sold.

Its backward marketing, backward advertising, backward design. Nice to see they at least carried the theme all the way through and turned the buffalo backwards from where it was to show how they are headed in the TOTAL OPPOSITE DIRECTION now.

I have been posting on the sabres.com forums for a long time now that this is the biggest issue with the team crest: we are the Sabres not the Bisons.

I will accept that abomination for the Sabres' crest when:

1) The Capitols use George Washington;

2) The Blue Jackets use Christopher Columbus;

3) The Sharks use St. Joseph, legal father of Jesus of Nazareth;

4) The Blues use St. Louis, patron saint of the arts

5) The Kings use some angels;

6) The Coyotes use a phoenix.

All those cities could use thier city name as thier main crest, but chose intelligence in actually using the name of the team in thier primary logo. The Sabres' managment should take note of this.

Until they change this, I'd take the new Ducks logo over this...thing.

The Sabres organization shot the white buffalo...bad mojo on the horizon.

LQ's way out of this:

Step 1: Take Screamin' Weasel's Avatar.

Step 2: Add some sort of white Buffalo to it.

Step 3: Put on sets of white and navy jerseys, other merchandise.

Voila!

UPDATE: Hell, you can even skip step 2.

Thanks for the compliment.

Personally, I'd like to see the current chest bison added to the shoulder. Kind of tie it all up together by doing that.

Oh, and those colors are the correct pantone colors for the new logo as discribed on the bottom of the confidential sheet: PMS yellow 1235 and PMS blue 282

Well, I guess for what it's worth, I used the contact form on the website to voice my displeasure with the new designs. Perhaps, it's just shouting into the wind, but at least I felt I did what I could.

Well, I guess for what it's worth, I used the contact form on the website to voice my displeasure with the new designs. Perhaps, it's just shouting into the wind, but at least I felt I did what I could.

My message - congratulations for screwing up a no-brainer:

an updated version of the original would have sent this region

into delirium, but no, you trust a test marketer

and give us the yellow ferret-skunk legless abortion that

I saw on the front of the Buffalo News this morning.

Someone said it looked like horned slug. That seems about right. I also think the blue is too dark. The Bflo news article tday says the blue is a shade darker then the old blue. I thougth it should be a shade lighter. The blue is going to look black on tv.

I hadn't heard "horned slug" but it reminds me of a shrimp. I agree with everyone that says it looks horrible. My biggest problems with both the old and new jerseys has always been the 2nd jersey. As I lik the white jerseys but the old blues and current blacks are just too dark. I prefer we return to the blue and gold since of the nostalgia and the fact it seems like black and red is over done. Though if we do return I'd favor a gold/yellow/mustard yellow jersey for the home if we're going to continue with road white jerseys. Either like the the Olympic yellow Sweden and/or the Predators' 3rd jersey. In terms of the logo, I've always like the current Sabred B but the old preferred the crossed Buffalo versus the demonic goat head.

The first question any designer should have asked is what values should the logo represent? What do you want the logo to say about your team? Design/marketing 101. Maybe that question was asked, but what does the result actually say about the Sabres? To me, it shouts weakness and trendiness and cuteness -- something not to be taken seriously, just look at the immediate jokes people are making about it. Now, the logo stands for more than the team. It stands for the city. A place known as "the city of no illusions." Not a weak or trendy or cute place at all. It stands for the animal too. The buffalo, like Buffalo, is strong, a survivor. It perseveres, like our sports team, even through disappointing losses and ownership scandals. The city, the team and the animal have so much in common. But the logo does not represent strength or the spirit of that noble beast. This design begged for a strong iconic image that would represent the city and the team at the same time. That it doesn't is an even bigger mistake than not having a sabre in the logo. In the infamous words of Lindy Ruff, "that's a joke!"

Very well said, I couldnt agree more.

Hey, maybe we can do what Anaheim did and drop something from the name.....how about we just drop "sabres" since apparently that part isnt important...and lets just be The Buffalo.

What stuns me is that in the new NHL, it's small market teams that need to address every opportunity to increase revenue. Why would they try something so completely different for a logo and then try to sell it? You know everyone in Western NY wanted the old Blue & Gold and that meant they wanted to go back to the roots of the old design, as well. Marketing should have said: "Tweak the old logo for the H/A jerseys by keeping the white Buffalo and sabre swords, make sure it's blue & gold, embellish a bit on the 3rd alternate jersey, and we'll sell a TON of merchandise.....TG will be smiling ear-to-ear when he sees the sales results".

But no.............they got to come up with some quasi Bills-Rams logo beast with a bad looking mullet that will make the fans shy away from opening up their hard earned wallets and plunking down the cash. The damn logo will be on EVERYTHING, idiots!

Is Big Tom even aware what's going on? He's gotta be getting some feedback on this "pre-release" fiasco. Maybe he'll put the brakes on and have those Marketing Rejects go back and give WHAT THE REAL FANS WANT.

My two freakin' cents from the Left Coast.

-Mark

Las Vegas, NV

What stuns me is that in the new NHL, it's small market teams that need to address every opportunity to increase revenue. Why would they try something so completely different for a logo and then try to sell it? You know everyone in Western NY wanted the old Blue & Gold and that meant they wanted to go back to the roots of the old design, as well. Marketing should have said: "Tweak the old logo for the H/A jerseys by keeping the white Buffalo and sabre swords, make sure it's blue & gold, embellish a bit on the 3rd alternate jersey, and we'll sell a TON of merchandise.....TG will be smiling ear-to-ear when he sees the sales results".

But no.............they got to come up with some quasi Bills-Rams logo beast with a bad looking mullet that will make the fans shy away from opening up their hard earned wallets and plunking down the cash. The damn logo will be on EVERYTHING, idiots!

Is Big Tom even aware what's going on? He's gotta be getting some feedback on this "pre-release" fiasco. Maybe he'll put the brakes on and have those Marketing Rejects go back and give WHAT THE REAL FANS WANT.

My two freakin' cents from the Left Coast.

-Mark

Las Vegas, NV

If you are a Sabres fan you will support the team period. All of this about people not going to games because of the logo is . Whoever does that isn't a fan anyway. Anyway as much as the old logo is loved, this is a new era and we should start a tradition with something new.

If you are a Sabres fan you will support the team period. All of this about people not going to games because of the logo is . Whoever does that isn't a fan anyway. Anyway as much as the old logo is loved, this is a new era and we should start a tradition with something new.

Dude, don't ever question my loyalty to the Sabres. Did I ever once mention in my above comments about people NOT GOING TO GAMES because of the Logo? No.

You totally missed the point. People will still go to the games, go to the bars, watch from their homes in Las Vegas....while WEARING the PREVIOUSLY purchased merchandise.

Dude, don't ever question my loyalty to the Sabres. Did I ever once mention in my above comments about people NOT GOING TO GAMES because of the Logo? No.

You totally missed the point. People will still go to the games, go to the bars, watch from their homes in Las Vegas....while WEARING the PREVIOUSLY purchased merchandise.

Gotcha. I'm just saying a lot of people might be taking this a little far. For example, sending emails to the club. That won't work, this stuff has been in the works for a long time and they can't reverse it all and be ready for september.

I could be way off here, but I had these thoughts and made a mock-up.

I think the Sabres have a few options open to them still to get themselves out of this nightmare they created. One is to use existing logos in the new colors. This saves them from, a) hiring a new design firm (and paying through the nose for it), b) notifying the NHL they need to revise the designs they submitted, c) keep the color scheme they have already given to equipment manufacturers, merchandisers, license holders, etc., and d) keep many many more legions of fans happy than the few not upset with the leaked logo.

Please keep in mind:

-These designs are just mock ups!

-I used sweater designs from Celcius and colored/altered them and chose them solely to use as an idea so people can see what I am talking about.

-The colors are as accurate as I can make them with the Pantone color guide at the bottom of the leaked logo sheet.

-I do not have mad photochop skills...just basic stuff.

Here's the link.

I think this is a really good way for the Sabre's organization to save face, make the fans happy and make far more money than the leaked logo will garner. Even places like New Era can continue to make what they started without revision: teams make licensed merchandise with the secondary logo on it all the time. All this can be done with absolute minimal cost on Sabres organization's behalf. I admit, this is not the greatest design without the white buffalo, but is by far the easiest solution.

Let me know what you think.

Edit: fixed link

Archived