The New Sabres Logo Leaked

SDS

HOLY CRAP!!! This one is GREAT!

new logo idea from John

That is a really sharp design.

My preference would still be some sort of circle w/ crossed swords and a buffalo in some form (Celsius Designs original, the Inky / your Avatar one, a b&g shatanic goathead) and my 2nd choice would be the shatanic goathead in b&g.

However, if management's hearts are set on changing the logo and not including a sabre (or sabreS) in the logo; that is by far the best serious one I've seen. (The Barney Rubble fornicating ferret avatar cracks me up every time I see it.)

yeah, it is pretty much the Bills logo if it was red white and blue and had a streak through it ... it's exactly the same but different ;)

Seriously, it is similar, but a buffalo is a buffalo ... it's gonna be similar in some way ... it's slightly different and with different colors, throw some swords in there, no one will think it is the Bills logo ... or at least no one will care. it would be such an improvement they would sell like crazy, and isn't that the point?

yeah, it is pretty much the Bills logo if it was red white and blue and had a streak through it ... it's exactly the same but different ;)

Seriously, it is similar, but a buffalo is a buffalo ... it's gonna be similar in some way ... it's slightly different and with different colors, throw some swords in there, no one will think it is the Bills logo ... or at least no one will care. it would be such an improvement they would sell like crazy, and isn't that the point?

DING DING! Yes - exactly the point.

if you want to make your buffalo not look like a buffalo - cut off it's legs.

Look at them side by side. The legs are in the same exact position. The back and head are exactly the same. All he did was take out the red stripe and replace it with a yellow outline and some shaded areas for depth. Sure, all buffalos will look similar, but look at the original sabres jerseys, the current ones, and the two versions of the Bills logo over the years. Each has its own style (I guess you could say the standing buffalo and the original sabres logo are the same style).

As for no one caring if it looks like the Bills logo, I bet the Bills would care. Two teams with identical logos is going to hurt sales somewhere.

I hate the new logo, as do most. I would much rather keep the uni's exactly what we have as I've grown rather fond of them. I will not buy this new bulls**t.

Just getting blue and gold back is not worth getting the flying squirrel crap.

That new design would have been great for the Bills when they updated a few years ago.

I think Slabyk's point with this one was to show how the basic elements of the skunk bandit logo could be done better (white buffalo instead of yellow, still faces right, is at similar angle, has legs, is charging instead of humping, etc).

That new design would have been great for the Bills when they updated a few years ago.

I think Slabyk's point with this one was to show how the basic elements of the skunk bandit logo could be done better (white buffalo instead of yellow, still faces right, is at similar angle, has legs, is charging instead of humping, etc).

The original Sabres logo faced the left.

Mr Slabyk has already modified the charging bison further.

Newest John Slabyk Logo

A little info from him on this crest:

1) He is currently working on fixing the rear leg that is behind the blade;

2) He made the blades thinner than they appeared on the current third sweater;

3) A charging bison is (as he put it) the "fullback of the animal world" and should look like a train barreling through, not a sleek, swift smooth animal;

As for the left/right facing bison, I had read a post somewhere a bit back where, if I read it correctly, the Sabres organization wanted the bison facing this way to show the team is headed in "a whole new direction."

As for personal opinion, I do not beleive it looks like the Bills logo. As stated earlier, all bisons will look similar if illustrated charging. Also, the Bills' bison's legs are not alike at all. The Bills also have the luxury of having the bison on both sides of the helmet and it faces both directions; they can choose to show whichever of the two they wish, but usually have it face this direction.

Bills Logo

With a little more work, this one will look very nice.

I could live with the celcius designs. They really show an attempt to preserve the old with a modern touch....but the other "cartoon swish" is god awful and a step back from the black and red (as much as I don't like that one either). I really hope that management listens to the people and goes with tweaking the old design as opposed to changing to the nashville preds colors and trying to mimic the St. Louis Rams logo with "a buffalo with a mullet on speed".....ha! or "flying squirrel"

The original Sabres logo faced the left.

Yes, but the skunk bandit faces right, and I think the new Slabyk buffalo faces right because he's trying to show what can be improved while still using some of the skunk bandit design parameters (such as facing right).

Love the thinner Sabres -- an homage to Ryan Miller perhaps? I never like those thick swords on the third jersey.

A weird question: does a buffalo charge with its head down? Does it gore like a bull? It seems that the buffalo in this design has its head way down like it's getting ready to impale a toreador.

Love the thinner Sabres -- an homage to Ryan Miller perhaps? I never like those thick swords on the third jersey.

A weird question: does a buffalo charge with its head down? Does it gore like a bull? It seems that the buffalo in this design has its head way down like it's getting ready to impale a toreador.

I guess that would depend on whether it's proud about what it's buying. :P

Mr Slabyk has already modified the charging bison further.

Newest John Slabyk Logo

A little info from him on this crest:

1) He is currently working on fixing the rear leg that is behind the blade;

2) He made the blades thinner than they appeared on the current third sweater;

3) A charging bison is (as he put it) the "fullback of the animal world" and should look like a train barreling through, not a sleek, swift smooth animal;

With a little more work, this one will look very nice.

I definitely think this particular logo could be the best one with a few modifications. Spread out the sabres at the bottom so they arent so close together and make the bison fit between them so it doesnt look like its leg is getting chopped off. Also, the head should be facing up more. I agree about how the bison should look too..it isn't a graceful, swift animal by any means. It should look more like a rugged animal...perhaps one that is on the warpath ;)

Those of you with membership at sportslogos.net might want to check out this concept series. Again, probably a pipe dream, but the latest set this Skye guy has come up with are IMO even better the the Slabyk concepts I've liked for a while now. If we need a picture posted instead of a link, let me know.

http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?showtopic=38746

Archived