The New Sabres Logo Leaked

SDS

Well, SC, you put yourself out there, and I commend you for that. Honestly, if that logo had been leaked by the Sabres, I can't say I would have fallen in love with it, but I wouldn't have disliked it as much as The Stephen Hawkings Hairpiece. Your design as two things going for it that the Skunk does not: it attempts to depict the buffalo as, in your words, "majestic," although I don't quite think you've pulled it off. And it is inspired. I love the thoughts about the influence and confluence of waterways around Buffalo. So in a matter of hours, for free, a poster on a message board got a helluva lot closer to what our logo should be and represent than all the design firms and consultants and experts with their hefty fees. Well done, SC.

I just realized that I don't know this is SC's design or just a link he offered. SC?

Check this out:

http://s26.photobucket.com/albums/c147/bods39/

You can see more designs, and some of them are getting very close to what would have made most fans very happy, and happy with their cash.

If you look at the black and white rough sketches, the fourth one is very interesting. I like the incorporation of the sabre. The face is goofy -- looks like a mean old man yelling at kids to get off his lawn. But if you tweak the face to represent that wonderful cragginess and strength and ferocity of the buffalo, there's a logo!

This is so depressing actually. Look what we're stuck with and what we could have had. The Sabres could have rolled the dice big time and had a contest to design the logo and let the fans decide. It would have turned out great! (Fans DID name the team, after all.)

In the same line of thought, the Sabres could throw a little money at some fans on here, and we could give them a web site that's better than what they have! We all know it's true. The Sabres just don't know, but what do they know? :)

I just realized that I don't know this is SC's design or just a link he offered. SC?

Check this out:

http://s26.photobucket.com/albums/c147/bods39/

You can see more designs, and some of them are getting very close to what would have made most fans very happy, and happy with their cash.

If you look at the black and white rough sketches, the fourth one is very interesting. I like the incorporation of the sabre. The face is goofy -- looks like a mean old man yelling at kids to get off his lawn. But if you tweak the face to represent that wonderful cragginess and strength and ferocity of the buffalo, there's a logo!

This is so depressing actually. Look what we're stuck with and what we could have had. The Sabres could have rolled the dice big time and had a contest to design the logo and let the fans decide. It would have turned out great! (Fans DID name the team, after all.)

In the same line of thought, the Sabres could throw a little money at some fans on here, and we could give them a web site that's better than what they have! We all know it's true. The Sabres just don't know, but what do they know? :)

My bad. It was late when I posted. This IDEA came from a poster on sportslogos.net in the forums. It was an interesting take on the logo. I didn't care for it, but the designer did put some thought behind his concept. I can't say the same for the nutsacks who designed the angry hamster.

If you get a chance, register with sportslogos.net. Neat site.

By the way Quinny, just because free agency has started, I haven't forgotten....the new logo SUCKS!!! :P

Hahaha. He is still busy trying to figure out how it is that he didn't see the leaked logo and jerseys, yet still was able to say "those aren't our uniforms."

Does anyone else find it interesting that this logo thing has leaked out right around the same time the free agency market opened up? I'm guessing that this logo is bs and they are trying to divert our attention to the logo and not the management. They are trying to take the heat off of Darcy.

That logo is hideous.

Having been away for months from this board - I was anxious to catch up with everyones thoughts.

Simply put, I too am dissapointed with the new logo (if it truly is). I almost feel embarrassed that when we finally could hold our head high with our teams effort on the ice, we come up with a logo that won't impress anyone. As much as I hated the goat head, people who were not SABRE fans thought the jerseys were good. It was in stores down here (PA) even when the team was not playing well, it was used in catalogs (the NHL merchandise for one) on almost every third page because it was thought of as a sharp logo/ color scheme - black/red/silver was a "hot choice" by many teams in the '90's.

On my trip last year to Buffalo I was glad to see the "suvenier cups" had BOTH logos (original and goat) as did the openning sequence on MSG. I guess my hopes got the better of me and I felt they were telling us they were going to respect the past tradition. This logo doesn't seem to say that.

My first reaction when I saw the "primary" logo was that someone in the Sabres' front office had lost a bet. It screams Badison Ave.

So many questions:

Where are the legs?

Why are there no Sabres?

Why is it wearing a mask?

If it's not a mask, then why is that blue strip on its nose? Is that a Breathe-Right strip that football players wear?

Why is one horn white and the other yellow?

Why does it look like it was inspired by Homer Simpson's sperm:

http://barzellette.supereva.com/download/p...son/sperm_t.jpg

Why did Quinn refute the jersey, but then deny that he saw the logo?

Who do I call to stop this?

Jess, welcome to the board! I agree the logo is hideous. Why is it in your avatar?! I'm seeing that more and more and am afraid someone from the Sabres is going to notice and tell LQ that fans love it so much they are already adopting it! I think my 'tar says it all.

PA, you're right. Sorry about that. I uploaded the incorrect picture. All fixed now, hope you like and thanks for the big welcome. I just came over from modsquadhockey.com and am a huge fan of the old logo and colors. I was extremely disappointed when we changed to black, red, and white.

I'm excited about the change coming up but really hope they consider something like my avatar.

The link below shows a screen shot of my interpretation of what this forum board will look like if they go with the new logo. I also put in my preferred logo for comparison. The "mullet" Buffalo looks terrible.

Sabresreport.com

I do like the proposed logo that someone recently did with the blue circle changing to a shield type background. That looks good and still incorporates the tradition of a white Buffalo and crossed sabre swords.

Here's an artist's perspective for you. I don't think that logo is so bad, on it's own virtues.

Sounds like a lot of you are incensed with it. It seems to me most of the criticism is because you had such a strong vision of what you wanted, and this is a different direction.

I don't think it is too radical. I think it has some edge to it. I do wish the good luck of the white buffalo played a role in the logo rather than so much yellow (that's strictly a karma thing). And, missing the sabre from the design seems a bit odd. But, I think the logo is somewhat striking. I can get used to it.

It all depends on what the shirts look like. If the shirts are like those celsius ones, or the guys avatar just a few posts above this one, then all is well. If the shirts are a radical design like Carolina's (blecchhhhh), then no good. Squares? What the hell is that?

If the shirts are a radical design like Carolina's (blecchhhhh), then no good. Squares? What the hell is that?
That's the United States Weather Bureau adopted maritime weather Hurricane warning flag design .....still sucks ! :P

Go Sabres! ;)

The only thing more tasteless and less artistic than the Weather Bureau's symbol for a hurricane, would be if they could have pictures of the New Orleans devastation on their jerseys instead.

Why don't they dress like the Croatian soccer team, their whole shirt is checkers. Some traditions really need to be re-visited.

Speaking of re-visiting a tradition, Washington should really get back to their uniforms. I like that red, white and blue with stars on it, especially for the American capital city. Take the writing out of the logo and replace it with a cool eagle (not like the one they use now), modernize the over-all design with a tweak here or there, and voila.

That rubbish they wear now makes no sense to me at all. I hope the Sabres do a better job. Let the blue and gold be blue and gold, not some shade of blue that's so dark that you couldn't tell it's blue til you're 8 inches away from it.

Edmonton, Anaheim and Washington all got dark jerseys that look black. I hate that. Make the freakin thing black or blue or green or whatever, but make it so you can tell what the hell color it is.

I have to admit, I do like some of the other buffalo with sabres logos I've seen. I'm just saying the new logo isn't too off the wall. A little too yellow for me. Isn't that the color of cowards?

Wouldn't you be surprised if they wore yellow instead of white, like the Kings did so many years ago?

I gotta tell you, seeing the goathead in blue & gold looks pretty good...short of the Celsius design logo in my avatar, I think I would rather see them change the colors back to the modified blue & gold and keep the goathead and B/Sabre alternate logo, rather than bring out that ugly new one.

Like others have said, though - I would support the team no matter what they wear this year - but it won't stop me from bitching about it. :D

I do like the Blue and gold Goathead to be honest...

Except the guy who stole my idea screwed up and gave the buffalo a yellow eye.

How hard is it to keep that red? You want the shatanic goat (or buffalo, if going back to a more traditional logo) to be mean, not to have jaundice.

Why am I suddenly hearing the annoying voice of that guy in the "dryyyyyy eye" commercial?

"Buehler... Buehler."

Barry Buetel.

Someone help me.

Whats so wrong with Ben Stein??

If the Sabres wanted a uniform that takes into account the old and the new era, Why not use blue and gold along with the circle and crossed swords on the current red thrid jersey's with the "goathead" (I use quotes because I still don't see how its a goat head) above the crossed swords instead of the old grazing Buffalo. They can then still use the B with the Sabre as the shoulder crest. You make everyone happy. The Blue and gold is back with a modified old logo, the people that like the thrid jersey and the current ones get something and it represents both eras of the sabres. They can also save a few bucks cause they would not have to change the head on the score board (just repaint) and can keep stuff with the old logo cause it still works with the new logo

And Dave, I think we found something we can both agree on, keep the existing "Goathead's" eye red, a yellow eye just doesn't work

Except the idiot who stole my idea screwed up and gave the buffalo a yellow eye.

How hard is it to keep that red? You want the shatanic goat (or buffalo, if going back to a more traditional logo) to be mean, not to have jaundice.

Sorry, dave - I meant to give you props for the blue & gold goathead in my original post, but I was interrupted by work - can't they see I am busy on Sabres Report?

Does anyone else suspect that normally jovial and evenheaded Dave is in a rotten mood today? If so, I hope your mood brightens, my friend. I know a lot of people are complaining about the cool July weather, but I love days like. I'm happy as a clam. Now we just have to work on Dave. :)

Sorry, dave - I meant to give you props for the blue & gold goathead in my original post, but I was interrupted by work - can't they see I am busy on Sabres Report?

Apologies to you BM. My original critique was overly harsh. :(

PA's right. It's been a lousy morning. :angry:

Archived