Jump to content

Mittelstadt signs, 3 years $5.75M AAV


dudacek

Recommended Posts

Good deal for the Avs. Kept the term down in order to keep the AAV down, which makes sense in the Makar/MacKinnon window.

Casey probably could have got $7Mish with term, but he'll be unrestricted at 28 and can probably cash in then if he continues his good play.

And yes, I think he would have taken something similar in Buffalo. He's an easygoing dude who just wants to play hockey.

  • Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good for him. Solid prove it bridge to 28 if he hits it hard he gets his big contract. He has a solid chance to do that in Colorado as he has players to stand up and he wont be getting mugged and abused constantly like he would here.... he can go play. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good deal for Casey, and also the Av's to an extent. But I assume they would have wanted a little longer deal. 

If we assume he would have taken a similar deal in Buffalo, he certainly would have been worth extending. (At the risk of beating a dead horse) But we don't know that because Mitts said that nobody in the Sabres org spoke to his reps for an extension.

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Good programs get good bridges. Can’t imagine they’re able to keep him after that though 

I am lurking on an Av's board and their general consensus is that they either wanted it to be cheaper since this walks him right to UFA or they wanted another year or two added on even if slightly more expensive. Given their cap situation most are frustrated with the cap/roster management of the extension but have no issue with Mitt's value. 

  • Thanks (+1) 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

One would think he would have taken a similar deal in Buffalo, given he “wanted to be here”.  But maybe not? 
 

Apparently Adams never talked to them.  
 

Let’s see which center Adams brings in (and the contract) before we flame away.  

 

  • Like (+1) 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

So how much are we going to have to pay in terms of $ and years to replace Casey?  How many good assets are we going to have to spend to replace Casey?

Colorado’s GM thinks he can be a 2c on a Cup contender. Our GM doesn’t even think he’s worth a contract offer. Whose judgement  would you trust?

 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

So how much are we going to have to pay in terms of $ and years to replace Casey?  How many good assets are we going to have to spend to replace Casey?

Colorado’s GM thinks he can be a 2c on a playoff contender. Our GM doesn’t even think he’s worth a contract offer. Whose judgement  would you trust?

 

Our GM thinks he’s worth a little less than Bowen Byram.

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I liked him, at times it felt like he was the only one carrying pucks out of the zone and doing... normal hockey stuff.  

My only gripe was that it felt like he wasn't the strongest skater - and doesn't score many goals.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Whether Mitts would've signed a similar deal here is an interesting question.  The Sabres stink, NYS taxes are higher and they had just given fat long-term deals to TT and Cozens.

Either way, the pressure on KA for Byram to be a really good player here just got a bit higher. 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Good deal for the Avs. Kept the term down in order to keep the AAV down, which makes sense in the Makar/MacKinnon window.

Casey probably could have got $7Mish with term, but he'll be unrestricted at 28 and can probably cash in then if he continues his good play.

And yes, I think he would have taken something similar in Buffalo. He's an easygoing dude who just wants to play hockey.

We missed the boat on this imo 

that thought can change, though 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Whether Mitts would've signed a similar deal here is an interesting question.  The Sabres stink, NYS taxes are higher and they had just given fat long-term deals to TT and Cozens.

Either way, the pressure on KA for Byram to be a really good player here just got a bit higher. 

Rico, you forgot about the gapping hole at center.   We need one right now and that is on Adams to bring in the right guy.   

Unless of course one of Krebs/Savioe/Kulich/Rosen/Östlund is ready to jump into the 3C role, then the problem is solved.    Otherwise we are probably spending some of these coveted assets to get Lindy a center (or two) right now.  

 

  • Like (+1) 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Rico, you forgot about the gapping hole at center.   We need one right now and that is on Adams to bring in the right guy.   

Unless of course one of Krebs/Savioe/Kulich/Rosen/Östlund is ready to jump into the 3C role, then the problem is solved.    Otherwise we are probably spending some of these coveted assets to get Lindy a center (or two) right now.  

 

You nailed what the issue is regarding the Mitts for Byram trade. It seems to me that the GM made a judgment that getting a first or second pairing defenseman is more difficult to get than a 2/3 C player is. And as you point out with your listing of youngsters is that he has an excess in prospects in the system that he can parlay to get the replacement for Mitts. As it stands, our #! and #2 Cs are already on the roster. If the GM can bring in a 2/3 C this offseason, then the Mitts trade makes a lot of sense. 

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

I didn't think it deserves its own thread, but it's not the worst thread we've seen here 😉

It's all a big Meh to me. 

lol, I was thinking that too. Seems a bit like self flagellation.

Now an ERod appreciation thread, that I could get behind!

  • Haha (+1) 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...