Seth Appert to join Sabres Coaching Staff

Brawndo

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

I realize that the Sabres announced that Ruff’s Staff is filled out but there is room for another assistant behind the bench. 

Last season Granato, Christie, Ellis and Wilford were behind the bench.  With the first two gone, Ellis moving to the press box and only Ruff and Appert as replacements, that’s only three coaches behind the bench. 

There IS room for 1 more, but will take the announcement at face value that the coaching staff is what it is and what it is going to be.  Will only change that expectation when they announce another coach joining in.

But, that is also part of the frustration.  With needing people reviewing every single zone entry and every single shot, they really NEED a 4th person on the bench to be in contact with the people up in the suite that are doing those reviews in real time.  That "rover" (as we used to call the 4th coach) plays a really important role.

Hoping you are correct, and the announcement was just poorly worded.  Because if not, they are intentionally making life tougher on themselves than it needs to be.

Edited by Taro T
Rover, not gopher

53 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Graduated from Canisius High School, went to Michigan to study creative writing,  wrote two horror novels and worked at a Christmas tree farm.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/amir-gulati/

...sounds a bit over qualified for this organization. 

So this makes Gulati eminently qualified to also pen the upcoming book entitled 'Terry Pegula and the Buffalo Sabres'.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I have zero concerns about the long range plan for Appert to take over as head coach (assuming that’s the plan). I don’t think this means Appert takes over in two years. If things go well, maybe Ruff wants to coach longer. If things don’t go well, then the plan is likely discarded. The only likely way that Appert becomes head coach is if things go well, in which case most fans won’t be too concerned if Appert is  handed the job. 

1 hour ago, Drag0nDan said:

I think people probably look into this too much.  He has a lot of coaching experience, working with younger players at the NCAA and USNTDP level. 

Isn't that what we just kicked to the side of the road?

50 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

We are organizing a major protest at Lafayette Square to show our extreme displeasure with this injustice.

We fans have put up with enough! 13 years without playoffs and now they promote someone! This is another example of the Imperialist mindset of our oppressors! We are being treated like children and told to accept these results.

As such, we have a series of demands:

1) We want a guarantee that we make the playoffs next year. No more excuses!

2) Officiating that is more fair towards our team.

3) Fans should be allowed to visit the bench during the game to give the players and coach advice

4) A cheeseburger

Join the thousands and thousands that will show up to the event. A feel free to donate money to me 🙂

If I give you a cheeseburger, will you go away?

1 minute ago, Doohickie said:

Isn't that what we just kicked to the side of the road?

I think the hope is that with a couple of years beside Lindy, combined with his relatively successful run as a professional hockey coach in Rochester, that Appert will be ready.  It's anybody's guess whether it will work.  Many/most successful NHL coaches were either successful AHL coaches and/or NHL assistant coaches first.

Personally, I'm pretty shocked to see Ellis and Wilford still on the Sabres' coaching staff.  When they were retained I expected them to be reassigned to other roles within the organization, but not as close to the day-to-day on-ice operations as they were this past season.  I guess Appert coming in and being the top/primary assistant is a significant change, but I'm still scratching my head.  Every time I think this organization has started to go down a better path, they do something that makes me question things.  While I don't think hiring Lindy Ruff was a terrible choice, it certainly didn't look like they did much diligence in the head coaching search, and the new coaching staff looks like they put even less diligence into the assistant coaching search.

55 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Regardless of anyone’s personal feelings about him, Seth Appert is eminently qualified to be an NHL assistant coach.

The pushback is partly about his fit for this particular role, partly about the “new” staff as a whole, and mostly about the perpetuation of fears about organizational stereotypes.

My pushback is not about this. My pushback is this is another sign that the underlying decision making processes of the Buffalo Sabres are faulty. They fired Granato because Ruff was available. They picked Ruff because he was Ruff, ties to the org and Adams. They deliberately left all the assistant coaches in place except for the one they needed to fire to bring up Appert. They brought up Appert because they already plan to put him in as HC in 2 years. They brought up his video guy because Appert likes his video guy. 

The process is not, let's take a good long hard look at ourselves and figure out our weaknesses. Then we will find the ppl who can correct those weaknesses and we will find the best ppl. It is, what's easiest for us that makes us comfortable. Now the outcome can still be good, but the process underlying it is broken and flawed. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

I think the hope is that with a couple of years beside Lindy, combined with his relatively successful run as a professional hockey coach in Rochester, that Appert will be ready.  It's anybody's guess whether it will work.  Many/most successful NHL coaches were either successful AHL coaches and/or NHL assistant coaches first.

Personally, I'm pretty shocked to see Ellis and Wilford still on the Sabres' coaching staff.  When they were retained I expected them to be reassigned to other roles within the organization, but not as close to the day-to-day on-ice operations as they were this past season.  I guess Appert coming in and being the top/primary assistant is a significant change, but I'm still scratching my head.  Every time I think this organization has started to go down a better path, they do something that makes me question things.  While I don't think hiring Lindy Ruff was a terrible choice, it certainly didn't look like they did much diligence in the head coaching search, and the new coaching staff looks like they put even less diligence into the assistant coaching search. 

I posted this a few weeks back in regards to a similar post and didn’t get a response: what are the specific concerns with Wilford?

This team has a ridiculous number of young defencemen and it’s my perception his job is largely their development. Jokiharju, Dahlin, Bryson all seem better than they were before he arrived. Johnson seemed fine. Power and Clifton came on after poor starts.

I’m not defending him - I’ve got no strong feelings about him - just curious as to why he’s on some people’s hit list.

Edited by dudacek
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

My pushback is not about this. My pushback is this is another sign that the underlying decision making processes of the Buffalo Sabres are faulty. They fired Granato because Ruff was available. They picked Ruff because he was Ruff, ties to the org and Adams. They deliberately left all the assistant coaches in place except for the one they needed to fire to bring up Appert. They brought up Appert because they already plan to put him in as HC in 2 years. They brought up his video guy because Appert likes his video guy. 

The process is not, let's take a good long hard look at ourselves and figure out our weaknesses. Then we will find the ppl who can correct those weaknesses and we will find the best ppl. It is, what's easiest for us that makes us comfortable. Now the outcome can still be good, but the process underlying it is broken and flawed. 

I agree with you on this. I wonder how hard it is for them to get qualified people to be interested.

I have heard that when Pegula canned all those front office people during the pandemic that it really rubbed a lot of people around the league the wrong way. Also 13 years of no playoffs and a GM with no previous qualifications doesn’t seem too enticing for a lot of qualified people. 

I have a feeling a lot of this is financial too. The only financial move is adding Ruff. Wouldn’t be surprised if Prospal takes over as coach in Rochester.

Yes, this all does suggest they believe firmly that they know better and they believe in themselves and their view (and that's Pegula on down). No outsiders with differing views allowed and definitely no outside experienced people who might actually vehemently disagree with them. 

The more I think about this the more I dislike it so I'm going to stop thinking about it. 

So did Rochester have a good PP that made sense?

8 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

This is basically what I was going for with the “organizational stereotypes” comment.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Yes, this all does suggest they believe firmly that they know better and they believe in themselves and their view (and that's Pegula on down). No outsiders with differing views allowed and definitely no outside experienced people who might actually vehemently disagree with them. 

The more I think about this the more I dislike it so I'm going to stop thinking about it. 

So did Rochester have a good PP that made sense?

Not in the limited playoff games I saw.

Looked real good when Peterka and Quinn were anchoring it for him.

• Thanks (+1) 1

In a bubble, Appert is fine. As a whole, bringing back half of the assistants might be fine. But, you hire from within when you have something that's working and you want continuity. You bring in from the outside if you think you're going in the wrong direction and need new eyes on the issue. I don't think anyone here really thinks things are going in the right direction, such that bringing in Lindy is the *only* person hired from outside the org. I don't think we're going to see shake-ups in the line-up either. Maybe picks or a prospect for a 3/4 C and W to fill out the roster.

I might be downgrading from low-contact to no-contact with the team, lol. This is probably the least effort the Sabres could make to change things, which I will match with the least effort I'm able to give following the team.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, MattPie said:

In a bubble, Appert is fine. As a whole, bringing back half of the assistants might be fine. But, you hire from within when you have something that's working and you want continuity. You bring in from the outside if you think you're going in the wrong direction and need new eyes on the issue. I don't think anyone here really thinks things are going in the right direction, such that bringing in Lindy is the *only* person hired from outside the org. I don't think we're going to see shake-ups in the line-up either. Maybe picks or a prospect for a 3/4 C and W to fill out the roster.

I might be downgrading from low-contact to no-contact with the team, lol. This is probably the least effort the Sabres could make to change things, which I will match with the least effort I'm able to give following the team.

You are certainly not alone in this.

This is a team that in the past 2 months traded its captain, traded its leading scorer, and fired its coach.

I think it says something when they’ve swapped out possibly the 3 most high-profile positions in the organization and the overwhelming reaction is that they are not doing anything and are hopelessly married to the status quo.

24 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Agree with a lot of this, but to the bolded, if it is true that Ellis will no longer be on the bench as we've seemingly been told he won't be, then there is still 1 opening on the staff (or more accurately, there MAY be 1 more opening on the staff) as there needs to be a coach that isn't worried about sending the next D-pair out or line out or trying to keep the entire picture in focus and not losing the forest for the trees.  Maybe they're going to fill that role with an assistant to the video guys, but there's more to that "rover" role than just staying in communication with the guys upstairs.  That guy needs to be paying attention to when a guy that got dinged up will be ready to get back out on the ice, or if the other team is changing up their lines and coming up with matchups you didn't expect the opponent to be going with, and letting the HC know that the other team's backup goalie is starting to get his gear on.  All of this stuff needs to be paid attention to, and a random assistant won't be ready to do all that.  

On 1st blush, expected that & PP to be Appert's role; but if Ellis finally is off the bench and Christiansen (or wtf his name was) is gone too; there's one more role than needs to be filled.  Maybe that role gets filled by Bales?  But others have said he won't be on the bench.

Something doesn't add up.

10 minutes ago, dudacek said:

You are certainly not alone in this.

This is a team that in the past 2 months traded its captain, traded its leading scorer, and fired its coach.

I think it says something when they’ve swapped out possibly the 3 most high-profile positions in the organization and the overwhelming reaction is that they are not doing anything and are hopelessly married to the status quo.

Yes, it says Frank Batres-Landaeta's job is not getting any easier.  😉 

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

The pushback is partly about his fit for this particular role, partly about the “new” staff as a whole, and mostly about the perpetuation of fears about organizational stereotypes.

26 minutes ago, dudacek said:

This is basically what I was going for with the “organizational stereotypes” comment.

I'm not sure I'm down with the use of "stereotypes" here.

More like "modus operandi"? 

1 minute ago, That Aud Smell said:

I'm not sure I'm down with the use of "stereotypes" here.

More like "modus operandi"? 

I was going for "general perception that they stick within their comfort zone."

If you want to remove the "general perception" part I won't argue.

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well the optimism I had gained with the Ruff hiring just took a dip down (and mostly over the Appert in 2 years idea which ya, might happen). It's not that he's going to be a horrible assistant or anything, it's just that too much of it looks the same. I was hoping for a little change in direction with a McKee hiring or Peca back or something else new that signaled real change. 

Now they just have to do next to nothing in free agency, draft a speedy Euro forward with that first pick and then name Dahlin captain and then I can cancel my sportsnet subscription for real. 

No sir.  They are about to reward your patience.

8 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

No sir.  They are about to reward your patience.

Well, I hope you're right, but I will believe it when I see it. 

The history, and the patterns you can see repeating say otherwise. Faith or belief is something I do not have in this group at all.