Seth Appert to join Sabres Coaching Staff

Brawndo

23 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Amir Gulati is actually a very good addition if you are a fan of analytics. He worked closely to bridge the gap between what the coaches were seeing and what the analytics department recommended 

Graduated from Canisius High School, went to Michigan to study creative writing,  wrote two horror novels and worked at a Christmas tree farm.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/amir-gulati/

...sounds a bit over qualified for this organization. 

• Haha (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

My first thought when I heard this was that heads would be exploding over this on Sabrespace. Of course, the whining is so predictable and lame.

Good move by the team to keep him in the organization with a solid chance to take over head coach in a couple years. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

I think people probably look into this too much.  He has a lot of coaching experience, working with younger players at the NCAA and USNTDP level.  I think a coaching assistant is a role he's had before coaching with the amerks, but he also brings a fresher perspective to Lindy.  I also think Lindy is the type of coach who demands you check any ego at the door.  

Relative to Appert's record at RPI...that was a tough situation to coach in. The administration was very unwilling to support the hockey program to the extent required to be competitive in the ECAC. I think he did alright given the challenges faced. 

Not saying he's the best pick for the Sabres bench, but I don't hold the RPI years against him. 

(In fact, working for a team where 'management' is unwilling to provide the necessary tools to win might be instructive for being with the Sabres)

8 minutes ago, Archie Lee said:

My take is that Adams had a plan that involved keeping Wilford, Ellis and Bales and promoting Appert and he went out and got the one veteran coach who would agree to take the job under those parameters.  Ruff, I think, knew that he would have limited to no NHL head coach options outside of this position, so he was willing to accept the parameters that Adams set.  I suspect Ruff's position also comes with the carrot of an ongoing Advisory role that will keep him involved longer term, so long as the next couple of years go well.

I think this is, simultaneously, something that could work out fine and that is incredibly disheartening.  On the one hand, I acknowledge that Wilford and Ellis may well be fine assistant coaches.  That we had a bad powerplay last year does not, in itself, mean Ellis is unworthy of coaching at this level. A year ago and without any context, if you told me that our 24-25 staff would be the same (Granato back) except for Appert replacing Christie, I would not have cringed. It could workout fine.  The disheartening part is that it is continued evidence that we just don't operate like a normal NHL team.  There is zero chance that any of the oft-mentioned quality head coaching candidates out there (Berube, Woodcroft, Evason, Gallant, Keefe) accept this set of parameters.  Ruff was chosen for a number of reasons and no small part of that was his willingness to mesh with the existing plan.       

There is also the potential that Lindy kept Ellis, not that he was bound to him.  

4 minutes ago, Sabres73 said:

My first thought when I heard this was that heads would be exploding over this on Sabrespace. Of course, the whining is so predictable and lame.

Good move by the team to keep him in the organization with a solid chance to take over head coach in a couple years. 

What's your goal with this? 

11 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Graduated from Canisius High School, went to Michigan to study creative writing,  wrote two horror novels and worked at a Christmas tree farm.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/amir-gulati/

...sounds a bit over qualified for this organization. 

sorta wack of you not to mention his brief stint at trader joe's.

• Haha (+1) 4

34 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Why would they have this already mapped out? They are assuming failure? Are they assuming success? If Ruff is good, wouldn’t you keep him? Did Ruff say he only wanted 2 years? 

When's the last time a coach with Ruff's resume only got a 2 year deal to come to a new team?  

Haven't seen it stated openly anywhere, but expect the 2 year timeline was Ruff's decision.  Ruff works as HC until he's 66 and then either becomes the PoHO or an advisor to the GM/newly promoted PoHO depending upon how well those 2 years worked out.

• Like (+1) 3

We are organizing a major protest at Lafayette Square to show our extreme displeasure with this injustice.

We fans have put up with enough! 13 years without playoffs and now they promote someone! This is another example of the Imperialist mindset of our oppressors! We are being treated like children and told to accept these results.

As such, we have a series of demands:

1) We want a guarantee that we make the playoffs next year. No more excuses!

2) Officiating that is more fair towards our team.

3) Fans should be allowed to visit the bench during the game to give the players and coach advice

4) A cheeseburger

Join the thousands and thousands that will show up to the event. A feel free to donate money to me 🙂

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Unpopular opinion:  Appert seems like a good motivator and I'm glad the sabres retained him.  

Would've been nice to see some other changes made to the staff though.  Maybe Vinny prospal  should have come up with appert to help run the powerplay and get a fresher set of eyes

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Taro T said:

When's the last time a coach with Ruff's resume only got a 2 year deal to come to a new team?  

Haven't seen it stated openly anywhere, but expect the 2 year timeline was Ruff's decision.  Ruff works as HC until he's 66 and then either becomes the PoHO or an advisor to the GM/newly promoted PoHO depending upon how well those 2 years worked out.

There’s not much sense looking beyond this year anyways tbh. We are either in the playoffs and we wanna keep everyone, or we miss and Adams likely gets fired and we have no idea what happens with anyone 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

44 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Why would they have this already mapped out? They are assuming failure? Are they assuming success? If Ruff is good, wouldn’t you keep him? Did Ruff say he only wanted 2 years? 

Well, ol' Lindy ain't gettin' any younger.

I realize that the Sabres announced that Ruff’s Staff is filled out but there is room for another assistant behind the bench. 

Last season Granato, Christie, Ellis and Wilford were behind the bench.  With the first two gone, Ellis moving to the press box and only Ruff and Appert as replacements, that’s only three coaches behind the bench. 

• Like (+1) 1

Regardless of anyone’s personal feelings about him, Seth Appert is eminently qualified to be an NHL assistant coach.

The pushback is partly about his fit for this particular role, partly about the “new” staff as a whole, and mostly about the perpetuation of fears about organizational stereotypes.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Regardless of anyone’s personal feelings about him, Seth Appert is eminently qualified to be an NHL assistant coach.

The pushback is partly about his fit for this particular role, partly about the “new” staff as a whole, and mostly about the perpetuation of fears about organizational stereotypes.

Agree with this 1000%. 

I was hoping for at least one additional hire though 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

It’s because everything is happening according to a clear plan. Sounds funny, but if you think about it. 

People are weary of his plans so in an odd way a longer process for these things with less certainty would psychology reflect better 

Adams is deliberate, it’s been to a fault, we’ll see which way the cookie crumbles next year 

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It’s because everything is happening according to a clear plan. Sounds funny, but if you think about it. 

People are weary of his plans so in an odd way a longer process for these things with less certainty would psychology reflect better 

Adams is deliberate, it’s been to a fault, we’ll see which way the cookie crumbles next year 

This.

Adams thinks the plan is working and is adjusting within the plan.

Fandom thinks the plan is failing and a new plan is needed.

Reactions will proceed accordingly.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Amir Gulati is actually a very good addition if you are a fan of analytics. He worked closely to bridge the gap between what the coaches were seeing and what the analytics department recommended 

I’m glad someone finally said something positive about Amir instead of calling his hire nepotism. Yesterday I could have told you who the video coach for Rochester was. The fact I knew his name is enough for me to be happy with the move. He was well-liked and praised often during Amerks broadcasts as well as by Seth regularly. 

I think people need to separate their opinions on his promotion from Seth’s—even though I concede they’re definitely linked. He’s a video coordinator. He isn’t going to be drawing up the power play. I don’t see any reason why anyone should be unhappy with this move considering the absolute volumes of praise that can be found publicly for him.

• Like (+1) 3

Well the optimism I had gained with the Ruff hiring just took a dip down (and mostly over the Appert in 2 years idea which ya, might happen). It's not that he's going to be a horrible assistant or anything, it's just that too much of it looks the same. I was hoping for a little change in direction with a McKee hiring or Peca back or something else new that signaled real change. 

Now they just have to do next to nothing in free agency, draft a speedy Euro forward with that first pick and then name Dahlin captain and then I can cancel my sportsnet subscription for real. 

• Like (+1) 2