The Sabres should trade the 11th overall pick in the 2024 draft

LGR4GM

Here's a thread dedicated to everyone who wants the pick traded. You wanna trade it and talk about trading it and tell everyone you want it traded, here's the thread for you. 

This thread is an attempt, which ik will fail, to keep the takes of "trade the pick" out of the 2024 draft thread which is about picks and draftable players. 

So, here yea go. Have at it. 

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Here's a thread dedicated to everyone who wants the pick traded. You wanna trade it and talk about trading it and tell everyone you want it traded, here's the thread for you. 

This thread is an attempt, which ik will fail, to keep the takes of "trade the pick" out of the 2024 draft thread which is about picks and draftable players. 

So, here yea go. Have at it. 

So who do you think will be there when they pick?😉

The Sabres are at a point that anything should be on the table to improve the team.  Our shopping list is long and we have the assets to acquire the pieces

At a minimum we need

1. Top 9 center

2.  An entire upgraded 4th line

3. a top 4 RHD.  

If we need to trade our 1st rd draft pick to get it done, so be it.

• Agree 5

An angry fanbase, indeed.

But perhaps the most united I’ve seen the fanbase, the media (whisper of…the organization?) since…the tank? Even more united? (I once supported the tank and now admit it was folly). Is this where we needed to get to, to heal?

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Its going to be hard to say they should or shouldn't trade the pick because we don't know (and maybe never will) know what the offer is for it.  There might be a great offer, there might be garbage. Its hard to say "trade the pick because they need help now, not in a few years" when you don't know the return. This is where you need trust in your GM.  Yeah, a lot of people don't, but he is going to be the one that knows what offers you can get for it, and he is the one that will make the decision.

If you are shopping it and getting 'subpar' offers in your opinion, then you keep it, you make the pick, you develop the player, and then there is nothing saying you can't trade that 'prospect' (or any other first round pick) anytime after.

The thing those who want the pick traded might have going for them is Lindy Ruff, and the hope he has roster input.  I'm pretty sure he would rather have a player that can help him NOW than invest in one that MIGHT help in 3-4 years from now.

Edited by mjd1001
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

We should draft Iginla with the 11th OA and then trade Iginla for the signing rights for Nieuwendyk so four years later Nieuwendyk gets a Conn Smythe and our franchise gets its first Stanley Cup.

Stop me if you’ve heard this one before. I don’t want to kick the dead horse.

• Like (+1) 1

If you trade the pick then the other team gambles that the player they want to pick is still there.

On the other hand you could pick the player you assess a specific team wants but likely wouldn’t have access to because they pick later. You then flip that player (and other pieces) for what you want from that team.

Can you work a side deal with another team who picks much later? Tell team X you’ll pick a guy they want and discuss additional pieces for an immediate trade.

39 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Its going to be hard to say they should or shouldn't trade the pick because we don't know (and maybe never will) know what the offer is for it.  There might be a great offer, there might be garbage. Its hard to say "trade the pick because they need help now, not in a few years" when you don't know the return. This is where you need trust in your GM.  Yeah, a lot of people don't, but he is going to be the one that knows what offers you can get for it, and he is the one that will make the decision.

If you are shopping it and getting 'subpar' offers in your opinion, then you keep it, you make the pick, you develop the player, and then there is nothing saying you can't trade that 'prospect' (or any other first round pick) anytime after.

The thing those who want the pick traded might have going for them is Lindy Ruff, and the hope he has roster input.  I'm pretty sure he would rather have a player that can help him NOW than invest in one that MIGHT help in 3-4 years from now.

When teams know your desperate to make a deal, you get crap offers. Based on how long Adams took to trade Eichel, he won't budge unless there's value coming our way.

Keep the pick. Keep all the top prospects* in Rochester (or wherever they are required to play) for another year. Buy out Skinner. Bolster the roster with veterans acquired through free agency or by trading lesser assets (Joker, 2nd rd picks or later). Make the playoffs in the NHL and compete for the Calder in the AHL. Promote 2-3 Top prospects on ELC’s to the NHL roster in 25/26 when the cap crunch comes. 

*I’m ok with trading one or two top prospects, but think the roster can be effectively remade without doing so. 

23 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

When teams know your desperate to make a deal, you get crap offers. Based on how long Adams took to trade Eichel, he won't budge unless there's value coming our way.

You only get crap offers if there aren’t multiple teams competing. I’d imagine something like a high first rounder would have plenty of interest. There’s no selling low on a pick, there’s no sabres stench on it 

A bunch of teams were out on Eichel from the get go cause of the preferred surgery aspect 

The Vancouver Canucks traded the first rounder they received from the NYI (#17) for Hronek. Questioned by many. Hronek was second in ATOI and proved a stabilizing force on the blue line. I can see a scenario where the Sabres look to trade a blue liner (Mule, Joki) for a #3C and replace with a top 4 right handed D with this years first.