Former HNIC Announcer Bob Cole has passed

Brawndo

22 minutes ago, Thorny said:

There are two announcing GOATS: RJ, and Bob Cole. We’ve now sadly lost both.

The game will not be the same

Agreed. The very best:

1. RJ

2. Bob Cole

3. Danny Gallivan

Some other thoughts:

Some real oldtimers will say Foster Hewitt is the best. I was too young to have heard him live, but on record, I don't think he holds up to the 3 in the list. 

Hate the Leafs, but I'll give Joe Bowen props for his homer Leafs broadcast. He's no RJ, but Leaf fans should be thankful to have him.

Watching the Campbell hit clips the other day triggered a thought... Once/if we ever get good again, I worry that the hype around the team might never get back to the way it was with RJ. He was part of what made watching the games so good. I question if the hype can be the same without him... Especially with Dud-leavy.

• Like (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Agreed. The very best:

1. RJ

2. Bob Cole

3. Danny Gallivan

Some other thoughts:

Some real oldtimers will say Foster Hewitt is the best. I was too young to have heard him live, but on record, I don't think he holds up to the 3 in the list. 

Hate the Leafs, but I'll give Joe Bowen props for his homer Leafs broadcast. He's no RJ, but Leaf fans should be thankful to have him.

Watching the Campbell hit clips the other day triggered a thought... Once/if we ever get good again, I worry that the hype around the team might never get back to the way it was with RJ. He was part of what made watching the games so good. I question if the hype can be the same without him... Especially with Dud-leavy.

I worry about that lost magic too 

Until I was 10 years old we had a black and white tv with 13 channels on the dial.  No real antenna on the roof.  Only received 2 channels - CTV and CBC.  There was only one hockey night in Canada and it was Saturday night.  I spent every Saturday night listening and watching HNIC - only the first period.

I spent my Saturday nights with Bob Cole.  He was fantastic.

In late 1974 (about a month or so after my 10th birthday) we got a colour TV - one of those that are a giant piece of furniture that took up a whole corner of the rec room.  A tall antenna two with a rotor on it so we could aim it south and pick up channels 2, 4 and 7 (and very rarely 29) from Buffalo.

I still lived for HNIC and Bob Cole - by that time I could watch the second period too.

Bob was a part of my life until adulthood.

He and Danny Gallivan in Montreal were the best ever on HNIC.  They rank only behind RJ and just a little bit ahead of Mike Lange in Pittsburgh.  Not sure who I would have fifth, but I think I would have to go with Tom Cheek of 'Touch 'em all Joe' fame.

Interesting note:  Bob was from St. John's on the tropical island of Newfoundland.  One of the only Newfs that one does not need a translator to understand - I love Newfs and Newfoundland.  Danny Gallivan was from Sydney, NS.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

23 hours ago, Night Train said:

Foster Hewitt, his son Bill Hewitt and then Bob Cole. Hockey Night In Canada was iconic for me as a child and all were great announcers. Dave Hodge in the studio. Danny Gallivan and Dick Irvin in Montreal. Top shelf. RIP. 

Agree that HNIC was iconic, as a kid I picked it up on Canadian TV using those rooftop rotary outside antennas . 

Found Footage Video GIF by Eternal Family

Antenna.jpg.93203122555d3b866dd9f74d1228121c.jpg

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Until I was 10 years old we had a black and white tv with 13 channels on the dial.  No real antenna on the roof.  Only received 2 channels - CTV and CBC.  There was only one hockey night in Canada and it was Saturday night.  I spent every Saturday night listening and watching HNIC - only the first period.

I spent my Saturday nights with Bob Cole.  He was fantastic.

In late 1974 (about a month or so after my 10th birthday) we got a colour TV - one of those that are a giant piece of furniture that took up a whole corner of the rec room.  A tall antenna two with a rotor on it so we could aim it south and pick up channels 2, 4 and 7 (and very rarely 29) from Buffalo.

I still lived for HNIC and Bob Cole - by that time I could watch the second period too.

Bob was a part of my life until adulthood.

He and Danny Gallivan in Montreal were the best ever on HNIC.  They rank only behind RJ and just a little bit ahead of Mike Lange in Pittsburgh.  Not sure who I would have fifth, but I think I would have to go with Tom Cheek of 'Touch 'em all Joe' fame.

Interesting note:  Bob was from St. John's on the tropical island of Newfoundland.  One of the only Newfs that one does not need a translator to understand - I love Newfs and Newfoundland.  Danny Gallivan was from Sydney, NS.

Same age as you and similar memories. CBC was our only hockey until the early 80’s.

RIP Bob.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

God, I loved watching Hawerchuk on that team.

Favourite Sabre no one ever talks about as a Sabre.

We lost that series 0-4. Do I remember this right: LaFontain was hurt, Muckler played Grant Furh instead of the unknown Hasek, Mogilney broke his leg in game four and the Candiens won several of the games--maybe 3?--in OT. They then won the cup. 

• Like (+1) 1