Lindy Ruff officially hired as Sabres HC

LGR4GM

3 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

How is that obvious? You've never worked with people terrible at their jobs with 30-50 years of experience? You must be truly blessed. Sports especialy are riddled with retreads that get job after job despite disappointing results. Jeff fisher coached for 22 years and made the playoffs 6 times. Lindy made 11 playoffs in 23 seasons.

Barry Trotz made 14 playoffs in 23 years and won a cup
Quenneville made 20 out of 25
Hitchcock is 14 out of 22
Tortorella is 12 out of 22

The list goes on. Lindy has the 2nd lowest winning percentage behind Paul Maurice of coaches in the top 10 games coached (Lindy is 4th in total games).

I just don't see how you can get amped about a guy who has only had 2 seasons with a winning record out of the last 8 years. once he was fired from the Stars they've become a perennial playoff team and are a cup favorite this year.

Oh No Facepalm GIF by DefyTV

Well... it might work, it might not. While I was firmly in the camp of Ruff is not the answer for this team I am also not sure the management knows what the question is anyway.

Bottom line.. I find myself completely ambivalent about this.

I want it to work, but at this point they could have hired anyone and I think I would feel the same as I feel now.  Which is nothing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

How is that obvious? You've never worked with people terrible at their jobs with 30-50 years of experience? You must be truly blessed. Sports especialy are riddled with retreads that get job after job despite disappointing results. Jeff fisher coached for 22 years and made the playoffs 6 times. Lindy made 11 playoffs in 23 seasons.

Barry Trotz made 14 playoffs in 23 years and won a cup
Quenneville made 20 out of 25
Hitchcock is 14 out of 22
Tortorella is 12 out of 22

The list goes on. Lindy has the 2nd lowest winning percentage behind Paul Maurice of coaches in the top 10 games coached (Lindy is 4th in total games).

I just don't see how you can get amped about a guy who has only had 2 seasons with a winning record out of the last 8 years. once he was fired from the Stars they've become a perennial playoff team and are a cup favorite this year.

hallelujah GIF

• Haha (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Sabres73 said:

Serious question - have you ever, I mean ever said anything remotely positive on this forum? Even once? It's tedious having to scroll through your always predictable, always negative posts.

Sam Reinhart is fine. 

marshall eriksen GIF

I liked Ruff back in the day, thought he was a great HC but he needed to go when he did as i feel he lost the room. He hasn't really been all that great since leaving the Sabres and we picked him over 2 head coaches who actually won a Stanley Cup in Gallant and Berube. So what I'm gathering from the talking heads on the radio is that they don't believe he's a Stanley Cup winning HC but a HC who will come in, demand respect, get the kids up and running and then Seth Appert will take over in 2 years. If he's not a Stanley Cup contending HC why the hell did we bring him in here? Wasn't the goal to not only win 1 Stanley cup but, multiple years? Now the standard is to get tough and maybe make the playoffs? This organization is so trash they have to use nostalgia to bring people in to this arena and this will be all the 50-60 year olds wet dream seeing a former player/HC and now returning HC come back yet again and we'll wait way too long to fire him when he fails because "Buffalo legend". 

Edited by GoPuckYourself
  • Like (+1) 3

44 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I absolutely did. Total wins is NEVER an appropriate or valuable statistic to use. I already mentioned why. It's what we call a "vanity metric". Winning percentage is infinitely more valuable and applying winning percentage over X games gives you an apples to apples comparison against peer groups.

So longevity means nothing? Being good over a long haul means nothing?

You’ll take Mogilny’s 1 70-goal season over Rico’s 8 30-goal seasons every time?

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

His posts may look like a dot if your perspective is from the edges. In reality his newest content is merely the latest in a long line of varying opinion 

Yep, you can accuse @lgr’s post profile as being intense or even black-and-white, but it is always informed. Unrelentingly negative ain’t his thing.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

I liked Ruff back in the day, thought he was a great HC but he needed to go when he did as i feel he lost the room. He hasn't really been all that great since leaving the Sabres and we picked him over 2 head coaches who actually won a Stanley Cup in Gallant and Berube. So what I'm gathering from the talking heads on the radio is that they don't believe he's a Stanley Cup winning HC but a HC who will come in, demand respect, get the kids up and running and then Seth Appert will take over in 2 years. If he's not a Stanley Cup contending HC why the hell did we bring him in here? Wasn't the goal to not only win 1 Stanley cup but, multiple years? Now the standard is to get tough and maybe make the playoffs? This organization is so trash they have to use nostalgia to bring people in to this arena and this will be all the 50-60 year olds wet dream seeing a former player/HC and now returning HC come back yet again and we'll wait way too long to fire him when he fails because "Buffalo legend". 

New Jersey Party GIF

• Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

So longevity means nothing? Being good over a long haul means nothing?

You’ll take Mogilny’s 1 70-goal season over Rico’s 8 30-goal seasons every time?

Yep, you can accuse @lgr’s post profile as being intense or even black-and-white, but it is always informed. Unrelentingly negative ain’t his thing.

Of course longevity means something, but you don't measure longevity in aggregate if you want to know if a coach was good. You do what I just did measure winning percentage against games and you find out that the coach with the 5th most wins coached the 4th most games and was the 9th most successful coach of coaches with the top 10 games coached.

5 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Clearly Reinhart is a star. 

Fine? The 4th Harry Potter movie was “just fine.” 

unrelentingly negative 

I think the 4th movie was the peak. Too many details left out from that point onward, I left the theater disappointed after every subsequent movie. 

3rd book is the best book is the real hot take of the thread, but it’s true. 

6 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Of course longevity means something, but you don't measure longevity in aggregate if you want to know if a coach was good. You do what I just did measure winning percentage against games and you find out that the coach with the 5th most wins coached the 4th most games and was the 9th most successful coach of coaches with the top 10 games coached.

Did you know that Ruff has a higher career win % than Paul Maurice and John Tortorella, or doesn’t that support your point? 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now seeing this and not reading 13 pages to see if assistants were discussed.

So, who do we think Lindy picks?

Do we think any players will have a notable positive/negative reaction to Lindy’s style?

What might Lindy’s focus be for improving team play?

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

We could have done far, far worse. Lindy’s middle name is accountability, the club med training camp and practices are over, and the boys better lace ‘em up tight.

Any truth to the rumor Ruff is insisting on making a strong push to get VO back in the fold?  

His middle name is Cameron. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1