Who will be cut/traded next season?

notwoz

Personally don’t think the intent is to clean house, it’s to maximize the effectiveness of what’s in house.

Fringe free agents like Robinson, Comrie, Jost and Olofsson will likely be gone. 

More useful ones like Jokiharju and Girgensons could be.

And I would think others are available if it brings in the desired piece, like Mitts was.

But I think the focus will be on adding, not moving pieces out.

Really curious if they take a look at cutting ties with Skinner because he’s the sole exception I could see to the above.

But I just don’t think there’s a market, or that a buyout makes sense.

Rather it will more be about how well he can adjust to this new standard in order to avoid becoming next year’s sideshow.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

More useful ones like Jokiharju and Girgensons could be.

I really wish Girgs would have been traded to a playoff bound team.   IMO he deserves it.   Maybe they make the playoffs next year and he's still here.   That would be cool AF.  

• Like (+1) 2

Will be shocked if Adams makes any roster moves before getting a new HC and his input.

• Agree 1

Just so you all know, Girgensons is selling his West Seneca house; I know this because my coworker’s niece and her husband are bidding on it and have met Girgs twice. 

Now he could just be upgrading seeing as he presently has a classic 2 story house that you see in most middle class neighborhoods.

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, dudacek said:

Really curious if they take a look at cutting ties with Skinner because he’s the sole exception I could see to the above.

Jeff Skinner at his worst is Victor Olofsson at his best.  Jeff had a "terrible" year this year and was third on the team in goals.  He had a -2 in the +/- which isn't great but neither is it a disgrace. 

I think one of the challenges the new coach will have will be finding a role for Skinner.  Maybe it will be on the power play and playing wing on a protected third line like he was at the end of the year with Krebs and Greenway.  Maybe it will be on a second line as a scorer.  Skinner has a unique skillset and some flaws but he's shown he can still light the lamp, even on an off year.

I know he's one of the whipping boys this year and has been for some posters for a long time, but I think he will have a bounce back year next year and score about 35.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Jeff Skinner at his worst is Victor Olofsson at his best.  Jeff had a "terrible" year this year and was third on the team in goals.  He had a -2 in the +/- which isn't great but neither is it a disgrace. 

I think one of the challenges the new coach will have will be finding a role for Skinner.  Maybe it will be on the power play and playing wing on a protected third line like he was at the end of the year with Krebs and Greenway.  Maybe it will be on a second line as a scorer.  Skinner has a unique skillset and some flaws but he's shown he can still light the lamp, even on an off year.

I know he's one of the whipping boys this year and has been for some posters for a long time, but I think he will have a bounce back year next year and score about 35.

It’s never been a question about scoring goals. It’s not even really about working hard, although that wavers.

It’s a question about sticking with the game plan, playing with structure, staying focused night after night and taking care of the details.

You won’t find very many lists of Sabres that dance to their own drummer that won’t have Skinner at or near the top.

When they talk about not being held accountable, which players do you think they are talking about?

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

VO and Jost are two I think are gone.

I would hope it isn’t even a consideration to bring them back. Although Jost would be nice AHL depth.  I’m guessing he takes another org that he thinks he has a better shot to stick in the NHL. 

Skinner has 3 years left on his deal at $9MM cap hit per year, and $10MM in cash salary next year.  No one is taking that contract in trade without sending a similarly terrible one back to the Sabres.

A buyout is more likely, but still highly unlikely IMHO.

(As a related point:  am I reading the buyout breakdown that @LabattBlue linked to correctly -- i.e. that the Sabres would save 1/3 of the $22MM in cash they owe him?  I thought buyouts saved cap space but not cash.)

35 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Skinner has 3 years left on his deal at $9MM cap hit per year, and $10MM in cash salary next year.  No one is taking that contract in trade without sending a similarly terrible one back to the Sabres.

A buyout is more likely, but still highly unlikely IMHO.

(As a related point:  am I reading the buyout breakdown that @LabattBlue linked to correctly -- i.e. that the Sabres would save 1/3 of the $22MM in cash they owe him?  I thought buyouts saved cap space but not cash.)

If the Sabres want to be a serious organization, they get rid of him one way or another.  T

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Doohickie said:

He is getting older. He COULD get 35 next year, but I think we are starting to see his decline in production.

However, I am with you that I don't see a reason to just jettison him, I think he has value.

First, he is not an asset defensively, He doesn't like to go to the boards in the Dzone and win battles, and sometimes he won't even think of going into the D-zone deep. But he's also not a liability as much as many others on this team. Rarely do I see him make a costly turnover in his own zone or be out of position leaving his side of the ice totally open. He is not an asset for sure, but he doesn't cost you goals with obvious mistakes.  Next, he does one thing better than anyone else on this team, a thing this team sorely needs. He goes to the front of the net, right in front.  No one on this team has more shots from the 'high danger' spots in front of the goalie as Skinner over the past couple seasons. Not Thompson. Not Tuch, Not Cozens. Not Peterka.

I think Skinner has one more year left of being an asset to this team. Talk to me at the end of next season. But if/when he is gone, you need a new coach to force the other guys to go to the front of the net more, or you need to bring in a skilled forward to do that.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Cut outright: Olofsson, Jost, Robinson, Clague, Comrie

Trade their rights: Krebs, Jokiharju

Bring in via trade or UFA, 4 new forwards and 2 new defenders. 

and a goalie to pair with UPL. Levi's been great lately in Rochester but still keep him in Rochester until he proves he can be above average in the NHL. 

Just now, The Jokeman said:

and a goalie to pair with UPL. Levi's been great lately in Rochester but still keep him in Rochester until he proves he can be above average in the NHL. 

He's already above average in the NHL. 

• Agree 1

Just now, LGR4GM said:

He's already above average in the NHL. 

I disagree, Levi was maddingly inconsistent this past season.  I get his team mates did him no favors at times but still think expecting a guy two years out of college is NHL ready especially a goalie. 

1 minute ago, Flashsabre said:

I think there will be a couple surprising/shocking trades this summer. I think Adams wants to shake this roster up and the new coach will have a say. 

Would you trade Owen Power?

37 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

I disagree, Levi was maddingly inconsistent this past season.  I get his team mates did him no favors at times but still think expecting a guy two years out of college is NHL ready especially a goalie. 

Would you trade Owen Power?

Would I trade Power?

I wouldn’t be looking to trade him but if it is a franchise changing type trade sure I would move him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1