Peyton Krebs, would you keep him?

LGR4GM

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Krebs is a RFA. Do you keep him or put him in a package. 

I'd package him. I want bigger with grit. Trading for a middle 6 center would be smart. 

I don’t mind 19 but I think they can improve that role immensely. At least someone a little more suited for a bottom six checking role.  Someone like Laughton, Goodrow, one of these knuckleheads that plays a north south in your face game.  Other teams are chock full of these types of players.  The Sabres drafted 17 Russians that are still trying to learn the language and will never be in anyone’s face about anything.  

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Krebs is a RFA. Do you keep him or put him in a package. 

I'd package him. I want bigger with grit. Trading for a middle 6 center would be smart. 

Secondly, I don’t remember you having this mindset.  Did something change?  Are you just echoing idiots like me? 

• Haha (+1) 2

He’s bottom 6.  We all want the bottom 6 to look differently.  Young, on a team that has too much youth.  Skilled, but unlikely to crack the top 6 as he develops/matures.

He’s the perfect candidate for a hockey trade.

• Agree 3

I have no problem with keeping him or including him in a package that could give you a good return. What I'm not willing to do is pencil him in any role. He will have to compete and earn whatever role he is assigned to. Is there an upside to him? I don't know. He may be what he is now i.e. an inconsequential fringe player. Can he elevate his game like Mitts did over time (not necessarily to that extent)? That's up to him to demonstrate.  

Benson came to camp last year with the expected likelihood that he would be sent back to the juniors. (Because of age rule he couldn't be sent to the AHL.) Benson earned a roster spot. That's my feeling on Krebs. He's still a relatively young player but he's played in enough games where potential, whatever it is,  needs to be translated into actual performance and production. 

4 minutes ago, Weave said:

He’s bottom 6.  We all want the bottom 6 to look differently.  Young, on a team that has too much youth.  Skilled, but unlikely to crack the top 6 as he develops/matures.

How much value does he have? Right now, it is very little. 

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, inkman said:

The Sabres drafted 17 Russians that are still trying to learn the language and will never be in anyone’s face about anything.  

Quintessential Ink.

7 minutes ago, Weave said:

He strikes me as an NHL 'tweener. Not skilled enough to play top 6 (or even float amidst a middle 6). Not enough sandpaper to be a valuable bottom 6 role player.

4 minutes ago, Night Train said:

Trade for what ?  A 2030 6th round pick ? 

Fair question.

5 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I think Kevyn hopes he'll be the next Casey Mittelstadt.  Maybe he's right but I'm not seeing it.

I wish but I don't see it. I'm not into throwing him away due to frustration over the entire situation. This particular young player has had enough time to show he has value or not. Whether he stays or goes I'm not sure it makes much of a difference. He seems to have good hockey intelligence and some grit but it doesn't translate into much production.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Weave said:

Indeed.  Not a top 6.  He might be a fine bottom 6 someday, but he is not today.

Trade able asset. 

Edited by Pimlach

23 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I have no problem with keeping him or including him in a package that could give you a good return. What I'm not willing to do is pencil him in any role. He will have to compete and earn whatever role he is assigned to. Is there an upside to him? I don't know. He may be what he is now i.e. an inconsequential fringe player. Can he elevate his game like Mitts did over time (not necessarily to that extent)? That's up to him to demonstrate.  

Benson came to camp last year with the expected likelihood that he would be sent back to the juniors. (Because of age rule he couldn't be sent to the AHL.) Benson earned a roster spot. That's my feeling on Krebs. He's still a relatively young player but he's played in enough games where potential, whatever it is,  needs to be translated into actual performance and production. 

How much value does he have? Right now, it is very little. 

16 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

Quintessential Ink.

He strikes me as an NHL 'tweener. Not skilled enough to play top 6 (or even float amidst a middle 6). Not enough sandpaper to be a valuable bottom 6 role player.

Fair question.

I think you could get a plugger on a bad contract from a team with a dearth of skill.  Colombia?  San Jose?  Idk just spitballing. 

5 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

I can't think of a more useless player on this team. Some people have to be traded and if Adams is hesitant in trading him, this team is in HUGE trouble.

He’s just inconsequential at this point.  He doesn’t scream “get him off my team” like Skinner or Olofsson.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This was a year where he needed to take a leap and the results were disappointing.

Krebs has shown clear progress over the past 2 years defensively and has become pretty reliable in that area. He’s fast, relatively fearless and has some skill.

But the skill has not manifested itself into enough production for the third line and the grit is less than ideal for the 4th.

He’s at the cusp of the 200 games/3 seasons point where kids have to show what they are. What he is right now is a player who needs to be better to be part of this going forward.

Im not ready to move on in the same sense I am with Jost. But I certainly would not be going into next season with him as a 3C.

I want to see what a new coach can do for his game. But I fear Jost may be who he is.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Night Train said:

Trade for what ?  A 2030 6th round pick ? 

That is what I am thinking, what is his value?  Sure, if he brings in something of value trade him, but I HIGHLY doubt he brings in something of value.  You might almost be better giving him a contract, keeping him around and seeing if he is one of those 'late developers', a lottery ticket that at one point was talented enough to be picked in the first round.   I don't think he has much value in a trade.

9 minutes ago, inkman said:

He’s just inconsequential at this point.  He doesn’t scream “get him off my team” like Skinner or Olofsson.  

Okay I can deal with that.... so long as Kevyn doesn't have plans for him to play a significant role on the team next season, such as 3C.  If he grows into that, fine, but Kevyn better have other options.

But the ultimate check and balance I think will be the new HC.  He will look at the roster with fresh eyes and let Kevyn know where the holes and useless players are.

And I don't expect any significant moves until the new HC is on board.

6 minutes ago, dudacek said:

This was a year where he needed to take a leap and the results were disappointing.

Krebs has shown clear progress over the past 2 years defensively and has become pretty reliable in that area. He’s fast, relatively fearless and has some skill.

But the skill has not manifested itself into enough production for the third line and the grit is less than ideal for the 4th.

He’s at the cusp of the 200 games/3 seasons point where kids have to show what they are. What he is right now is a player who needs to be better to be part of this going forward.

Im not ready to move on in the same sense I am with Jost. But I certainly would not be going into next season with him as a 3C.

I want to see what a new coach can do for his game. But I fear Jost may be who he is.

I agree with almost everything you said except for the fast part. Is he? Serious question.  My bad memories of him this year are of a turnover in the offensive zone, and him simply not being able to catch back up to players who are carrying the puck when he is chasing them from behind.  Not just once, but multiple times.  On the backcheck, he seems to be that 1 step too slow to catch up to anyone.  I just don't see speed.

The NHL edge data shows him as being mid pack in terms of top speed (54th percentile), above average in speed bursts between 18-20 and 20-22mph (70 and 61 percentile) but well below average in terms of 22mph+ bursts (he's only had 1 all year and is listed as 'below 50').  

I guess the 'stats' say he is average to 'slightly' above average, but in practice he doesn't catch people from behind often on the backcheck.

Put me on the 4C train. I don’t love him. I don’t hate him. And he’s actually one of the few guys that will stick his nose into things and play with some edge. 

Maybe he’s one of those guys the right coach can get more out of.

8 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

He has no value so it's better to keep him and see if he turns it around

I think this is the right take.

Another offseason of getting stronger, becoming more of a grown ass man, and maybe a coach who asks him to hone his game in certain directions ... maybe he can be(come) an effective bottom-6 player.

When thinking of how I would like the roster to be, there is not a spot there for Krebs except from as a 13th forward. I do not dislike him, he has done a good job, I just think the roster should be built up in a different way. I think there are teams and coaches that see him as a third line guy, but it is not with us.

41 minutes ago, Slack_in_MA said:

Put me on the 4C train. I don’t love him. I don’t hate him. And he’s actually one of the few guys that will stick his nose into things and play with some edge. 

Maybe he’s one of those guys the right coach can get more out of.

I'm here, well 3C. Poor man's Derek Roy?  I think there's a skilled pest here just waiting to blossom.