Sabres announce Don Granato, Jason Christie and Matt Smith have been relieved of their duties

Brawndo

6 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I am tired of reading here that Granato did what he was hired to do. This is 100% *****. 

He was a joke as a HC, and a complete failure. 

Disagree that he was a complete failure. It was his idea to move Tage to center which allowed him to prosper. He gave Dahlin the free reign to make the most of his abilities. He stuck with UPL until he gained the confidence to become a legitimate starter. He got Greenway to become a solid contributor, especially on the PK. He gave Benson more chances to bloom than most 18 year olds get.

It is true that the team emphasis on improving defensively seemed to adversely affect their offense which gave us such hope last season. Granato seemed to go as far as he could with this team. So time to find someone who can take them to the next level.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thanks (+1) 1

17 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

We’re actually a pretty big team. The emotional part is where coaching comes in to change 

I don’t think we are that big. Tall maybe. But only Samuelsson and Girgs and Tuch are actually big. But none of those are tough or rugged players. 

Cozens, Tage, Power are all tall kids but all of them could use another 10-15 lbs of muscle to those frames. And they need to toughen up. 

Really, bring 1-2 vets, at least one forward, who can come in and play rugged NHL style hockey. That, combined with some work ethic to develop their bodies in the offseason, and I think the team could be significantly improved to go with a coach who holds them accountable and has a system (some of the players may have even forgotten what that means). 

• Like (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

I don’t think we are that big. Tall maybe. But only Samuelsson and Girgs and Tuch are actually big. But none of those are tough or rugged players. 

Cozens, Tage, Power are all tall kids but all of them could use another 10-15 lbs of muscle to those frames. And they need to toughen up. 

Really, bring 1-2 vets, at least one forward, who can come in and play rugged NHL style hockey. That, combined with some work ethic to develop their bodies in the offseason, and I think the team could be significantly improved to go with a coach who holds them accountable and has a system (some of the players may have even forgotten what that means). 

I agree. This issue has come up a lot this year (and in many years prior) but its not the size of the dog in the fight that counts, its the size of the fight in the dog.

We do have some tall guys for sure, but none really use their size to their supposed advantage & i can't really say they play a physical game at all.

I mean 1 of our offenses biggest failures this season was their inability to get to the middle of the ice, yet alone in front of the net. To me that all comes down to 1 thing, heart/physicality... being wiling to take a crosscheck or contact & still claim that spot on the ice as your own. A "big" team should be expected to do that. Why our 'big' guys are incapable of that, just shows to me they're not as big as they appear to the eyes at all.... they're still too soft imo.

40 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

Disagree that he was a complete failure. It was his idea to move Tage to center which allowed him to prosper. He gave Dahlin the free reign to make the most of his abilities. He stuck with UPL until he gained the confidence to become a legitimate starter. He got Greenway to become a solid contributor, especially on the PK. He gave Benson more chances to bloom than most 18 year olds get.

It is true that the team emphasis on improving defensively seemed to adversely affect their offense which gave us such hope last season. Granato seemed to go as far as he could with this team. So time to find someone who can take them to the next level.

If “taking a team as far as they could go”  includes missing the playoffs each year, yet considered a success by some here, he should never have been hired…therefore he failed miserably as an NHL HC.  

Set the bar ridiculously low, and this is what you end up with.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 1

53 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Have any ex-sabre coaches ever done an interview about coaching the Sabres? I can't remember any of them talking about it

Is there a non-disclosure clause in their contracts or something?

There might be, but more likely, you're in a profession where there are (currently) 32 positions available in the world. You don't air any dirty laundry or rock the boat, even inadvertently.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Have any ex-sabre coaches ever done an interview about coaching the Sabres? I can't remember any of them talking about it

Is there a non-disclosure clause in their contracts or something?

I cannot say that any coaches publicly get into dirty details on the teams they coached.   Doing so is a great way to never get hired again.  

42 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

If “taking a team as far as they could go”  includes missing the playoffs each year, yet considered a success by some here, he should never have been hired…therefore he failed miserably as an NHL HC.  

Set the bar ridiculously low, and this is what you end up with.  

OK, he failed.  Failed miserably?   Does it make you feel better if he failed miserably? 

Listening to Adams yesterday, the failure to make the playoffs this season was clearly a joint effort by the GM, the Coach, the coaching staff, and the players.  Which is exactly what we  saw from the off season, to camp,  to the very last game.   A poorly constructed roster, a flawed hockey system, arrogant players, bad coaching, and a lack of leadership and accountability throughout.   The HC takes the blame because you simply cannot fire everyone.  He was maxed out with what he could do here.  

Prior seasons I do not think he had the guns to get there, especially in goal.  

So yes, he failed.  Failed miserably is a team honor.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

18 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

We’re actually a pretty big team. The emotional part is where coaching comes in to change 

Huh?  A new coach is going to get Tage Thompson to barrel into the corners and level the competition?  Jack Quinn is going to turn into Mike Peca because some new guy told him to?  I don’t see this at all. 

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, inkman said:

Huh?  A new coach is going to get Tage Thompson to barrel into the corners and level the competition?  Jack Quinn is going to turn into Mike Peca because some new guy told him to?  I don’t see this at all. 

Cant Believe It Bbc GIF by The First Team

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Doohickie said:

From the linked article,

That's something I mentioned a day or two ago.  When they *did* make a concerted effort to win the puck away from defenders in the Sabres offensive zone, they looked a lot better.  It just didn't happen enough.

I feel like someone around here, maybe it was Randall Flagg (system never allows for him to be tagged) came up with a deep dive on the perils of dumping the puck in for retrieval like half a decade ago haha 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

OK, he failed.  Failed miserably?   Does it make you feel better if he failed miserably? 

Listening to Adams yesterday, the failure to make the playoffs this season was clearly a joint effort by the GM, the Coach, the coaching staff, and the players.  Which is exactly what we  saw from the off season, to camp,  to the very last game.   A poorly constructed roster, a flawed hockey system, arrogant players, bad coaching, and a lack of leadership and accountability throughout.   The HC takes the blame because you simply cannot fire everyone.  He was maxed out with what he could do here.  

Prior seasons I do not think he had the guns to get there, especially in goal.  

So yes, he failed.  Failed miserably is a team honor.  

You really want to nitpick “failed” vs “failed miserably”?  What difference does it really make?  IMO almost all will agree he needed to go.  

Edited by LabattBlue

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

You really want to nitpick “failed” vs “failed miserably”?  What difference does it really make?  IMO almost all will agree he needed to go.  

I agree with letting him go.  I have said this for quite a while, he did what he can do with this group, and they needed to move on.  

Your posts on his firing read as angry and disrespectful to the guy.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

I feel like someone around here, maybe it was Randall Flagg (system never allows for him to be tagged) came up with a deep dive on the perils of dumping the puck in for retrieval like half a decade ago haha 

Dumping the puck in doesn't work in today's game because of the speed of the D men and their general ability to move it out quickly.

However, dumping the puck in combined with a fast and aggressive forecheck can work, and you can reap huge dividends with it. The usual term now is "dump and chase" and it's the chase part that has to be there and you have to be fast, physical, finish your checks and win puck battles relentlessly. 

With the right coach, we could be that team. 

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

I agree with letting him go.  I have said this for quite a while, he did what he can do with this group, and they needed to move on.  

Your posts on his firing read as angry and disrespectful to the guy.  

Frustrated that my team has become a league laughing stock?  Yes. 

Angry? No

Not sure how I can be disrespectful to someone I have never met, via a message board?

6 hours ago, inkman said:

Mike Peca might bench guys for playing like a bunch of pussies.

It’s a good time for a new coach. Believe it or not, we can still create a great team out of what we have with a couple new (tough) additions. 

Skinner MUST go. Adams would need to go too for us to get beyond a 1st round playoff loss level. The man is simply over promoted 4 levels above his competency. Time for Pegula to wake up. 

• dislike 1

12 hours ago, MattPie said:

You know, that's not a terrible idea on the surface. I'm not sure he has the chops to be a skater coach, but Marty is awesome.

Would have to pry him away from TV deals. He's done NHL Network, Rangers, NBC desk work when they had it, and Sabres games -- and he's been good in every venture. I think he's got a solid broadcasting future.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Sabre The Cup said:

It’s a good time for a new coach. Believe it or not, we can still create a great team out of what we have with a couple new (tough) additions. 

Skinner MUST go. Adams would need to go too for us to get beyond a 1st round playoff loss level. The man is simply over promoted 4 levels above his competency. Time for Pegula to wake up. 

I agree Skinner must go, but we may have to hold on to him one more year before buying him out. I simply disagree with your over-the-top comments about Adams, I firmly believe we're on the path, and he will get us in the playoffs next year, and for several years thereafter. "4 levels above his competency" is just silly and disrespectful.