Some realistic UFA ideas

Flashsabre

I see 2C and top 4 RHD as big holes.

Cozens needs to be 3C or RW.

Chandler Stephenson, Monahan and Duchene  are 3 guys that could fill that role.

Demelo, Matt Roy, longer shot:Pesce, would help Power immensely.

If they could add one up front and one on the backend I think it would go along way.

I fully expect UPL-Levi next year.

A Stephenson- Roy offseason seems the most realistic especially with Vegas just extending Hanifin.

I HAVE NO CONFIDENCE IN ANY OF THIS HAPPENING 😁

I have no confidence in anything that blocks the kids from happening. Whats that saying about a leader being willing to burn his city/country down so he can rule over the ashes? That essentially what TP has done. If I’m wrong I’m wrong. Its a wait and see at this point.

Edited by bunomatic
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Sure, but we will have that C and Byrum.

Agreed. But that C needs to start playing like a 2C. What we need is a vet 3C who can move to 2C if needed. But, I won’t hold my breath. 

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

I see 2C and top 4 RHD as big holes.

Cozens needs to be 3C or RW.

Chandler Stephenson, Monahan and Duchene  are 3 guys that could fill that role.

Demelo, Matt Roy, longer shot:Pesce, would help Power immensely.

If they could add one up front and one on the backend I think it would go along way.

I fully expect UPL-Levi next year.

A Stephenson- Roy offseason seems the most realistic especially with Vegas just extending Hanifin.

I HAVE NO CONFIDENCE IN ANY OF THIS HAPPENING 😁

I’m probably in the minority, but I have no interest in adding a big ticket veteran free agent defenceman.

If I could effectively flip Jokiharju or Bryson for a stouter RHD I would, but I think we have our top 4 already and am not ready to make a significant investment in another.

A bottom 4 of Clifton, Jokiharju, Johnson and Bryson as a worst-case scenario is fine by me. Cliffy and Joki as the 5/6 are far from the problem with this team, both have looked pretty good in the 4/5 role in the back half of this season. Bryson appears to have recovered from the disaster that was the fall of 2022 and is far enough away from a top 4 slot to ease my worries.

The quickest, most efficient way to improve is for Mule to play 70 games and Byram and Power to play to their draft status. Power has shown a lot better over the season’s second half. Hopefully Byram will fully embrace the team and the opportunity. I wonder about his friendship with Cozens and whether it will help feed each other’s commitment or do the opposite.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

Id kick tires on a proven NHL backup to provide a safety net and make Levi earn the NHL.

I think that will be hard because the more capable options will be reluctant to sign with Levi looking over their shoulders.

They will sign someone. Fingers crossed he will be better than Dustin Tokarski and Malcolm Subban.

Free agents are just overpriced and not worth it.

Hopefully they trade for someone that will make a impact next year 

11 minutes ago, jad1 said:

Byram is definitely a good player, but he's redundant, and will be out of here in a couple of years.  

Yeah I don't see this 

• Like (+1) 1

Up front is where I am most active.

Jost, Olofsson and Robinson need to be significantly upgraded and another centre has to be acquired to fill the hole created by Mitts.

I am looking to overhaul the identity of the bottom 6 and want to add two wingers who can bring the speed and hustle of Robinson, but with a degree more skill and a lot more meanness. I’d look hard at Dakota Joshua and Will Carrier: two guys who will punish on the forecheck and get to the net.

My biggest investment comes at centre. I am still banking on Cozens as a legit 2C, and don’t need to bring in an upgrade, but a guy who can fill that role like a Stephenson works. I’m also fine with a more natural 3C. Just get me a warrior who can win faceoffs and score more than Johan Larsson. I think we’re more likely to target this guy in a trade.

Girgs can play for my team if he wants to, but not at the expense of adding the above.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

48 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Funny thing is we’ll have to pay that 2C what we could’ve paid Mitts. 

I didn't like the Mitts trade.  I thought I was wrong after Byram's first few games with the team, but now I'm pretty sure trading Mitts was a mistake.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 2

I would sign DeMelo or Roy and trade both Muel and Joker for help up front

Byram Dahlin

Power Demelo/Roy

Johnson Clifton

keep Bryson at 7 until Novikov is ready

I just don’t see Muel staying healthy long term and now you could get something for him from a team that thinks he will. 

Go get an impact forward with Muel, Joker, 1st pick, one of the prospects.

This is me being hopeful that Cozens issues this year were all injury related. He was trending to be that reliable 2-way C that put up 30 goals. He can't be asked to be the sacrificial "enforcer". I hope he gets healthy and smarter this summer because the Sabres really need his game to return and improve. 

That said a steady and experienced 3C who can take face-offs and the clone of Angry Larry to fill the spot at 4C are my biggest requests.

Shuffle anyone not name Dahlin, Power, or Byram, plus some picks or prospects or bottom 6 guys for the 4th D that helps Power achieve the next level(s) is a nice idea too.

38 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Up front is where I am most active.

Jost, Olofsson and Robinson need to be significantly upgraded and another centre has to be acquired to fill the hole created by Mitts.

I am looking to overhaul the identity of the bottom 6 and want to add two wingers who can bring the speed and hustle of Robinson, but with a degree more skill and a lot more meanness. I’d look hard at Dakota Joshua and Will Carrier: two guys who will punish on the forecheck and get to the net.

My biggest investment comes at centre. I am still banking on Cozens as a legit 2C, and don’t need to bring in an upgrade, but a guy who can fill that role like a Stephenson works. I’m also fine with a more natural 3C. Just get me a warrior who can win faceoffs and score more than Johan Larsson. I think we’re more likely to target this guy in a trade.

Girgs can play for my team if he wants to, but not at the expense of adding the above.

Agree with all of this. And it is what I find particularly frustrating. We need to, and have needed to, shore up the bottom 6 with players of the type that are absent in the organization at the present. Especially with CM gone. KA, with the assets / cap space available to him, can’t seem to upgrade the bottom 6? (Or doesn’t see the need to). It’s not like the Sabres are trying to find a 1C.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

Id kick tires on a proven NHL backup to provide a safety net and make Levi earn the NHL.

I think that will be hard because the more capable options will be reluctant to sign with Levi looking over their shoulders.

They will sign someone. Fingers crossed he will be better than Dustin Tokarski and Malcolm Subban.

I think they will add a veteran goalie and a veteran center in the Boone Jenner mode. I’m with you, I don’t see them adding a defenseman. I think they are very happy with their top seven assuming Ryan Johnson steps up and they have no issue with the top four being all left handed.

2 hours ago, tom webster said:

I think they are very happy with their top seven assuming Ryan Johnson steps up and they have no issue with the top four being all left handed.

Hell, even Bryson's been pretty solid the second half of the year.

• Thanks (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I didn't like the Mitts trade.  I thought I was wrong after Byram's first few games with the team, but now I'm pretty sure trading Mitts was a mistake.

I actually agree with this. 

My fear is that next year's C's will be Thompson, Cozens, Savoie/Krebs, Krebs/Girgs.  So they will re-sign Girgs and move him to the wing as usual if Savoie is 3C which I think they will try hard to make happen. Jost is the fill in. Basically no change. 

Adams desperately wants Krebs to succeed to help validate the Eichel trade he made. 

I also think he's going to try hard to trade Samuelsson. He might not and he might not be able to, but the 7 D will be the same as we ended the season with Johnson probably added in.

Levi and UPL in goal. Comrie re-signed to play in Rochester. 

Kulich/Rosen given a shot to replace Olofsson who will be gone. and that'll be it. 

14 hours ago, tom webster said:

I think they will add a veteran goalie and a veteran center in the Boone Jenner mode. I’m with you, I don’t see them adding a defenseman. I think they are very happy with their top seven assuming Ryan Johnson steps up and they have no issue with the top four being all left handed.

What kind of veteran goalie though? I think he fully expects a 1A/1B situation between 6K (there you go, @Hank) and Levi. Any veteran would be that #3 type spending most of the time in the AHL. I don’t want to see that, but it’s what I expect. 

35 minutes ago, shrader said:

What kind of veteran goalie though? I think he fully expects a 1A/1B situation between 6K (there you go, @Hank) and Levi. Any veteran would be that #3 type spending most of the time in the AHL. I don’t want to see that, but it’s what I expect. 

That is the conundrum. Finding a goalie good enough to lead a NHL playoff run if needed but willing to spend time in the AHL and able to clear waivers to do so.

18 hours ago, dudacek said:

What exactly is a "proven NHL backup?" Eric Comrie fit that description in Winnipeg.