GDT - Flyers @ Sabres - Friday, April 5, 2024 - 7:00 PM (EDT)

Power…..I’m seeing signs the breakout is coming.  He looks more confident to me.  Felt like literally everything he was doing throughout this season you could almost see him second guessing for that split second that split second makes a massive difference.

This is just his second season and he’s a plus 15 in that time logging the ice time - I know it’s no longer a preferred stat - it’s not the whole story but a good part of it.

No coincidence this team has been competent and good since he got here.

If he begins to reach his potential this team is a perennial contender.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Nice win, but it's too little, too late. Yeah, there are token odds we could sneak in, but it'll take a miracle. Where was consistent effort for 90% of the season? As could be predicted the games they no-showed the first four months of the season have come home to roost. Just win, I guess, and let the chips fall where they may.

I still say this team won't sniff the playoffs with Granato and his gang of goofs. They need a coach with a pedigree to push them, not a "good guy." 

Anyway, five games left. If there's one true positive out of this season it's that we appear to have a legit goalie. If Levi can get on track, he and UPL should steal some games for them. How odd that goaltending has turned into our strength.

Edited by HumanSlinky39
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Second Line Center said:

Power…..I’m seeing signs the breakout is coming.  He looks more confident to me.  Felt like literally everything he was doing throughout this season you could almost see him second guessing for that split second that split second makes a massive difference.

This is just his second season and he’s a plus 15 in that time logging the ice time - I know it’s no longer a preferred stat - it’s not the whole story but a good part of it.

No coincidence this team has been competent and good since he got here.

If he begins to reach his potential this team is a perennial contender.  

I’m all for giving Power the time he needs to grow and develop into the defenseman we all want to see and he has shown some glimpses in the midst of some gaffs, but what is this about this team being “competent and good” since he got here? We’ve been inconsistent at best. At best.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I’m all for giving Power the time he needs to grow and develop into the defenseman we all want to see and he has shown some glimpses in the midst of some gaffs, but what is this about this team being “competent and good” since he got here? We’ve been inconsistent at best. At best.

Are you not entertained!  I mean outside of October thru December this season these last 2 years have been an overall net positive as it looks to actually turn the corner.  

• Like (+1) 1

General thoughts:

* Realized tonight how much better this team would have been with a healthy Jack Quinn all year

* UPL has absolutely stablized things in net and great to see UPL bounce back after a couple of rough outings

* Tage looking more like Tage, those inuries lingered for awhile and now we see what he can really do again.

* Was nice to see Granato take a timeout at a good time, laid into these guys when they needed it, maybe this is a step in the right direction for Donny, we shall see.

The lack of the dreaded 'loser points' OTL and shootouts, coupled with just a few small things, kept us out of the playoffs this year.

Better days ahead.

• Like (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

General thoughts:

* Realized tonight how much better this team would have been with a healthy Jack Quinn all year

* UPL has absolutely stablized things in net and great to see UPL bounce back after a couple of rough outings

* Tage looking more like Tage, those inuries lingered for awhile and now we see what he can really do again.

* Was nice to see Granato take a timeout at a good time, laid into these guys when they needed it, maybe this is a step in the right direction for Donny, we shall see.

The lack of the dreaded 'loser points' OTL and shootouts, coupled with just a few small things, kept us out of the playoffs this year.

Better days ahead.

If I make it that long.  

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

What is keeping us out of the playoffs is a lack of urgency from the start of the season and at the start of games coupled with lousy goaltending in the 1st third of the season, our terrible PP and poor forward play for most of the season.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Some quick thoughts on this game: UPL would be my first star. He is solidifying the notion that he is a good #1 goalie in the league. He was the difference in this game for us where the Flyers had the edge territorially. 

I like the pairing of Dahlin and Power. I still don't understand the negativity toward Power. Too much criticism is directed toward his style of play. He's not a banger, and never will be. 

Quinn is good and is going to be a core player for us. His injuries and loss from the lineup for much of the season really hurt us. 

Benson is becoming a fan favorite. He's arguably our best forechecker. He and Quinn on the same line has a lot of potential. 

Granato called a time out to excoriate his team. It had an effect!

I like Clifton's game. He was a good pickup. 

A win is a win. One game at a time until the clock runs out. 

You mean Mr. +3 tonight? Ha, yeah, I am with you - but haters gonna hate.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

What is keeping us out of the playoffs is a lack of urgency from the start of the season and at the start of games coupled with lousy goaltending in the 1st third of the season, our terrible PP and poor forward play for most of the season.  

Sorry simpleton take.

Levi take Comrie's starts and we have a healthy Quinn and Thompson and that erases all of those things.  Not a cup contender obviously, but playoffs would be locked at this point.

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, Second Line Center said:

Are you not entertained!  I mean outside of October thru December this season these last 2 years have been an overall net positive as it looks to actually turn the corner.  

Watching this team keep spinning its wheels lost its entertainment value a while ago. The simple fact is we regressed from last season. Not saying the season hasn’t had its moments particularly where Oopie is concerned, and Benson has been a revelation. But all in all, just not much to write home about.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Sabres73 said:

Making the playoffs or not this year, this stretch of essentially desperate playoff-type games, facing elimination if you lose, is good for this young team. Valuable experience for next year when we're actually in the playoffs.

Next year is next year. Unless they get in, these wins will mean nothing. They are fun to watch, though.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, _Q_ said:

Sorry simpleton take.

Levi take Comrie's starts and we have a healthy Quinn and Thompson and that erases all of those things.  Not a cup contender obviously, but playoffs would be locked at this point.

Wow. "Simpleton" eh? That tells me enough about you. Classless, and not as knowledgeable you think you are - great combo. Welcome to the blocked list.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Sabres73 said:

Wow. "Simpleton" eh? That tells me enough about you. Classless, and not as knowledgeable you think you are - great combo. Welcome to the blocked list.

Are you his mommy?  Thanks for the block, I hope your thin skin heals quickly!

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

is this not exactly the same as last year?

I'm going to repeat what stands out to me, this defense group, top to bottom is a lot better than many give credit to WHEN the forwards support them in their own end just at an average level.

Everyone on the D-group looks bad when the forwards would float near the blue line, lost 70% of loose puck battles in the D-zone or just vacate entire areas of the ice.  Since the first of the year, something happened where the forwards got a lot better in their own zone, and guess what? The defense looks a LOT better.  Not perfect, not the best group in the league, but from Dahlin at the top of the lineup to the bottom, including guys like Bryson and Clifton, they all look like real NHL quality guys back there.

Does that mean that Bryson and Clifton will never make mistakes again costing the team goals? No, but to me it means they are true, quality 3rd pair guys that can function on a winning team, not borderline AHL guys that are only playing because there is no better option.

For the last 2 years in the Eastern conference, every single team that had a positive goal differential for the year made the playoffs (16 teams were positive, all 16 made the playoffs) and every single team that had a negative goal differential missed the playoffs (16 for 16 there too).   Sabres now have a positive goal differential for the year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

is this not exactly the same as last year?

No, not really.  This season is almost of the opposite of last year.   Last year the forward play was good, but the D play was terrible as was the goaltending most of the year.  The PP was good for the 1st 3rd of last year, but the PK sucked all year.  They also played with much more urgency last season after the long losing streak early in the year.

This is why I'm in the fire DG and his staff camp.  They literally coached the heart out of this team and in the process made the team slow out of the gate, stifled the offense and completely un-entertaining.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, ska-T Chitown said:

all this "Torts would do this!" or "Torts would not put up with whatever!" 

Ha! You know what Torts did? Lost to the team alls of yous seem to think is so inferior to whatever brand of non-sense he peddles! Woo! Ride it, Sabres!

Uh, the issue is the Flyers are inferior on paper but have had a better season. One win/loss doesn’t create or destroy a narrative.

• Like (+1) 2