Great Opportunity this week!

gilbert11

The next 3 games are Detroit, Islanders, Detroit with the Wings and Isles tied for the last East playoff spot with 72 points, 7 ahead of the Sabres.

A sweep of the 3 games would definitely put the Sabres in strong contention for a playoff spot.  I also believe that losing all 3 would pretty much end all hope.  4 ir 5 points would help, but these 3 games are a golden opportunity.

Coach Granato, please don’t start Comrie in goal for any of them. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

You can’t make this up. This is hilarious. The Sabres will most likely win one, lose one, and lose in a shootout, and somehow still keep us hanging until the last week of the season just like last year. It’s so predictable 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, gilbert11 said:

The next 3 games are Detroit, Islanders, Detroit with the Wings and Isles tied for the last East playoff spot with 72 points, 7 ahead of the Sabres.

A sweep of the 3 games would definitely put the Sabres in strong contention for a playoff spot.  I also believe that losing all 3 would pretty much end all hope.  4 ir 5 points would help, but these 3 games are a golden opportunity.

Losing one pretty much knocks us out.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, gilbert11 said:

It's nice to dream but, ultimately, you wake up and reality slaps you in the face. Are they alive? Sure, but barely. This team has won three games in a row once all year. If they beat the Red Wings twice and an Islanders team currently on a heater, that will be four in a row. Not likely. But I like your optimism.

last year we finished strong, giving us hope for this year. 

This year they just took a giant leap backwards. Last year I said we were trending in the right direction but if we don't make the playoffs in 2024 then the ax will be sharpened.

This team needs a new coach, Granato has no answers, and his team always seems to have players out of position. I had hoped to see another leg up in the team but I pretty much gave up on the team in November and even if we finish strong this year Granato has to go.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, gilbert11 said:

Wings picked a bad time to go on a 5 game bender

Essentially the difference between us being the playoffs and not is once again, our inability to rack up loser points like so many other teams in the NHL seem to do with ease...Islanders have 14!!! OT/SO  losses this year.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Honestly, I'd rather see them lose than make some historic run to nowhere only to miss the playoffs by a few points. I'm afraid that a strong push will give Pegula, Adams, & Granato yet another 'false positive' and they'll take that as a "sign of growth" by the team and do little to nothing again over the summer. All while conveniently forgetting that the expectation was playoffs in 2023-2024 after missing by one point in 2022-2023. Enough with this clown show that has now reached a baker's dozen.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 hours ago, OverPowerYou said:

You can’t make this up. This is hilarious. The Sabres will most likely win one, lose one, and lose in a shootout, and somehow still keep us hanging until the last week of the season just like last year. It’s so predictable 

What's "hilarious" is some "fans" who have no hope, who give up, who aren't encouraging of their supposed team. If this team is just for mocking for you, then why are you here?

6 minutes ago, Sabres73 said:

What's "hilarious" is some "fans" who have no hope, who give up, who aren't encouraging of their supposed team. If this team is just for mocking for you, then why are you here?

I always make the distinction between franchise and team. This is probably my lowest point ever for dislike of the temporary people who make up the entity of the franchise. I still love the Sabres though and am biding my time. Because I'm the cockroach who survives the nuclear winter. The others don't make it.

Think of it as a movie franchise. People are fans of Star Wars. Many great movies and some movies that fans might judge to be not up to par. What if all of a sudden they started putting out one stinker after another? The fans would rightly mock and protest. They'd still be fans of Star Wars.

Edited by PASabreFan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Doohickie said:

And even if we win all three, Washington is 4 points ahead of us with three games in hand.  Hard to imagine catching both them and Tampa who is 9 points ahead of us.

At least Washington plays a bunch of games on the road where they haven't been very good.  

Both teams have 5 game road trips out west, and lets be honest.  Both teams are probably going to be out of it after that.  

• Like (+1) 1

Detroit's been struggling. Haven't watched them so idk if it's injuries or goaltending or they are just bad but they look like a fragile beatable team. The Islanders on the other hand are playing hardnosed hockey and winning more than losing so that'll be a tough one. 

IF we won all 3 games I suppose it'll look like we are back in the race but it's unlikely. Obviously can't give them loser points either. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, pi2000 said:

most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it

As long as they're not eliminated, we can use that to justify watching the games (instead of admitting our addictions).

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, pi2000 said:

most men would rather deny a hard truth than face it

I wouldn’t over complicate it. The Sabres play tonight. I’m a fan. A win keeps their very slim playoff chances alive for another night. So, go Sabres!

Edited by Archie Lee
  • Like (+1) 2

The Sabres are in 5th in the Wildcard Race this morning.  The two teams behind them though have games in hand, but of course they need to win the games in hand to catch us but both the Devils and Pens are fading.

Games in hand put the Sabres further back of the teams they're chasing as well, but the fact that they're "only 5 points" behind a playoff spot is motivating I think.  Even if they're not as close in the race as it appears, their point total makes it feel like they are, and they're playing like it.  Win as many as they can and maybe the rest will take care of itself.

They have to pass three teams, two of which are playing sub-.500 hockey.  It's gonna be tough.

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 3