What needs to be done this offseason

Ok, going to be direct here. Not a chance in hell we are making the playoffs so time to move on from that pipe dream. Open topic on what needs to be done this offseason:

- Add power forward. We need some damn grit, sandpaper and someone that is not afraid to go to the front of the net and lay the body. 

- Goodbye to Girgs, Okposo, EJ, Olofsson, Comrie and Skinner (Great idea xzy89c1!!!) Yes i know some may already be gone by then.....

- Get a RHD that is physical and can clear our own net front. NOT A SCORING DMAN!!!!!

- Short leash on both KA and Donnie no nuts. If the team sucks 1/4 of the way in, they are gone. This team needs some serious accountability from top down.

- A backup for 6K, Levi stays in Rochester another year.

- Draft physical and hard to play against!!!! We have enough skilled stick checkers on the team and in the pipeline. 

The Sabres as an organization should only have one goal (Ok, 3) . Fill the damn stands, win hockey games and make the damn playoffs. Anything else should be a straight up failure. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Cozens can not be a centre. He doesn’t think the game well enough. When the puck is on his stick and he has to make a decision it usually doesn’t turn out well. Let him go up and down his wing with his speed and rip shots.

They need a centre who really thinks and distributes the puck. That is not Thompson either.  Mitts could think and distribute but didn’t play with enough pace to take over.

The PP suffers because every team knows everything has to run from up top because they don’t have a thinker that can run it down low and give them different looks. 

Krebs is the closest they have right now Quinn could probably do it if healthy.

Östlund is the closest thing in the system but is a couple years away. Savoie too.

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

17 hours ago, WhenWillItEnd66 said:

Ok, going to be direct here. Not a chance in hell we are making the playoffs so time to move on from that pipe dream. Open topic on what needs to be done this offseason:

- Add power forward. We need some damn grit, sandpaper and someone that is not afraid to go to the front of the net and lay the body. 

- Goodbye to Girgs, Okposo, EJ, Olofsson, Comrie and Skinner (Great idea xzy89c1!!!) Yes i know some may already be gone by then.....

- Get a RHD that is physical and can clear our own net front. NOT A SCORING DMAN!!!!!

- Short leash on both KA and Donnie no nuts. If the team sucks 1/4 of the way in, they are gone. This team needs some serious accountability from top down.

- Draft physical and hard to play against!!!! We have enough skilled stick checkers on the team and in the pipeline. 

The Sabres as an organization should only have one goal (Ok, 3) . Fill the damn stands, win hockey games and make the damn playoffs. Anything else should be a straight up failure. 

I'm amused you're stating this like it's some revolutionary hard truth we all need to hear. This team stopped being playoff bound in December. In fact there's been 0 signs this team is playoff bound since about game 20.

Jeff Skinner has a full NMC. Maybe one of these days the  ppl around here will remember. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I'm amused you're stating this like it's some revolutionary hard truth we all need to hear. This team stopped being playoff bound in December. In fact there's been 0 signs this team is playoff bound since about game 20.

Jeff Skinner has a full NMC. Maybe one of those days the chuckle ##cks around here will get that through their heads. 

Why wouldn’t he waive his NMC or provide a list or however his contract is worded to get out?  He likes losing? 

17 hours ago, WhenWillItEnd66 said:

Outside of the guys on expiring contracts leaving, I don’t really see any of this happening.  

1.) whatever it is you do later in the season, do it in camp. This team seems like they get ready to play toward the end of the year but aren't at the beginning of the schedule.

2.) new Powerplay. Yes, its SLIGHTLY better lately, but they don't move the puck as fast as other teams, they obviously aren't as effective as many other teams. Even if Tage is hurt and he is back to 'himself' next year, that doesn't fix the underlying problem.  Get a new assistant coach? make radical changes to how you operate it, but fix it.

3.) Re-sign Zemgus, but get 2 other new guys for the 4th line.

4.)  Greenway is playing well this year, Benson looks good "for a rookie"...but you need to add/find a guy who is going to net you 20-25 goals to ADD to what you have now.  Quinn needs to come back too, but i'm talking about adding another scorer in addition to him.

5.) Pray for less injuries to key players.  Tage NEEDS to get back at least part of the way to his form of the last 2 years (I bring him up again because he is that important).

6.) I don't think it is REQUIRED, but it would be nice to see a guy who can drop the gloves and be good at it. I don't mean someone who is going to go out there looking for it every game. Not someone who is even going to take a fighting major once per week, but someone who CAN do it well, someone WILLING when the situation arises, and someone skilled enough to be a good 4th liner and maybe sub in temporarily on a higher line.

7.) Sign UPL, expect good play from him, but don't be surprised if he regresses slightly from his current form.

Edited by mjd1001

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Jeff Skinner has a full NMC. Maybe one of these days the  ppl around here will remember. 

Oh, the irony. 

2 hours ago, inkman said:

Why wouldn’t he waive his NMC or provide a list or however his contract is worded to get out?  He likes losing? 

Outside of the guys on expiring contracts leaving, I don’t really see any of this happening.  

Perhaps it's as simple as his family is happy in Buffalo. Wife likes her friend group, kids like thier schools and friends? I was miserable most of my time in the Army, I sucked it up because it provided security for my family. 

58 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

1.) whatever it is you do later in the season, do it in camp. This team seems like they get ready to play toward the end of the year but aren't at the beginning of the schedule.

2.) new Powerplay. Yes, its SLIGHTLY better lately, but they don't move the puck as fast as other teams, they obviously aren't as effective as many other teams. Even if Tage is hurt and he is back to 'himself' next year, that doesn't fix the underlying problem.  Get a new assistant coach? make radical changes to how you operate it, but fix it.

4.)  Greenway is playing well this year, Benson looks good "for a rookie"...but you need to add/find a guy who is going to net you 20-25 goals to ADD to what you have now.  Quinn needs to come back too, but i'm talking about adding another scorer in addition to him.

5.) Pray for less injuries to key players.  Tage NEEDS to get back at least part of the way to his form of the last 2 years (I bring him up again because he is that important).

6.) I don't think it is REQUIRED, but it would be nice to see a guy who can drop the gloves and be good at it. I don't mean someone who is going to go out there looking for it every game. Not someone who is even going to take a fighting major once per week, but someone who CAN do it well, someone WILLING when the situation arises, and someone skilled enough to be a good 4th liner and maybe sub in temporarily on a higher line.

7.) Sign UPL, expect good play from him, but don't be surprised if he regresses slightly from his current form.

I like Z too, but I hope he's replaced by someone better. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

Zemgus should have been upgraded on at any point in the last five years. Under no circumstance should he be back. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Prior to the deadline I absolutely wanted:

• A 2-way match-up forward who can be trusted against good players in tough situations
  • A big-body forward who gets to the net
  • An agitating forward who can forecheck
  • A legitimate top 4 defenceman
  • A new backup goalie

Like his profile or not, Byram crossed the D-man off the list, but losing Mittelstadt means at least one of the forwards should be of 2nd-line calibre.

At least one of the skaters should have an intimidation factor, at least one needs to be a respected leader, and all 3 need to be competitive.

The three new forwards will be replacing Okposo, Girgensons and Mittelstadt on the everyday roster. Olofsson's replacement as the offensive spare forward comes from the prospect pool. The defensive spare forward should be a meaner Robinson.

I think the 8 guys we have on the blueline right now are coming back. I'd flip one for a similar level player who adds more edge if I could.

I'm going to count on the increased offence coming from in-house: a mix of Tuch, Thompson, Quinn, Peterka, Cozens and Benson.

A key part of that should come from a complete revamp of the power play. I need someone to draw attention from Dahlin and Thompson and/or take advantage of the attention they get. I'm intrigued by Byram and I'm looking hard at Jack Quinn, who was deadly on the PP as an Amerk. Skinner is off my PP1.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Cozens can not be a centre. He doesn’t think the game well enough. When the puck is on his stick and he has to make a decision it usually doesn’t turn out well. Let him go up and down his wing with his speed and rip shots.

They need a centre who really thinks and distributes the puck. That is not Thompson either.  Mitts could think and distribute but didn’t play with enough pace to take over.

The PP suffers because every team knows everything has to run from up top because they don’t have a thinker that can run it down low and give them different looks. 

Krebs is the closest they have right now Quinn could probably do it if healthy.

Östlund is the closest thing in the system but is a couple years away. Savoie too.

Guys like Thompson and Cozens theoretically work fine at C as long as we complement them with playmaking wingers. It’s been that way in the league for a while that you don’t necessarily need to funnel the playmaking through the “centreman” as forwards generally rove around in the O zone wherever they want. Say, Marner in Toronto. 

As long as we have guys like Benson and Quinn filling out the wings I think Thompson and Cozens work more than fine provided they are on their game.

I don’t think it’s a skill and fit issue, it’s an execution issue

the biggest thing the guy listed in the middle of the depth chart needs to have is the defensive awareness to handle the centre’s responsibilities in the D zone: where F positions actually become more relevant 

Edited by Thorny
  • Agree 4

Like myself and many have said, this entire coaching staff needs to be purged, they’re clearly not playoff caliber. 

Tuch and Skinner should not be on the top line. Thompson needs better which I think will be Quinn when he returns and probably a trade for another because I don’t see a top 6 in the AHL unless I’m missing someone.

We must get a legit goalie to pair with UPL while Levi develops his game. We can’t assume like we did with the rest of this roster that UPL will continue to play at this level next year. 

8 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Guys like Thompson and Cozens theoretically work fine at C as long as we complement them with playmaking wingers.

Who? What playmaking wingers?  Quinn is not a playmaker.  Never has been.  Benson is the closest and he hasn't exactly created much offense as a rookie despite max effort.  JJP and Tuch have good passing skills, but again are more scorer than playmaker.  

Of the guys coming up only Östlund is a playmaker in the true sense of he word.  Rosen is more in the Tuch/JJP mold and Krebs is just bad.

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Who? What playmaking wingers?  Quinn is not a playmaker.  Never has been.  Benson is the closest and he hasn't exactly created much offense as a rookie despite max effort.  JJP and Tuch have good passing skills, but again are more scorer than playmaker.  

Of the guys coming up only Östlund is a playmaker in the true sense of he word.  Rosen is more in the Tuch/JJP mold and Krebs is just bad.

I don't know, I see Quinn carrying the puck, creating open ice for his mates and dishing it off to Cozens and Peterka all the time.

He had 35 assists in 45 games as an AHL rookie and has an assist every 3 games as a young NHLer. I think he can be a 40-assist guy in the NHL.

Benson shows similar traits in terms of creating space and finding teammates. He had 62 assists in 60 games as a 17-year-old.

Who knows how that eventually translates at an NHL level, but it's in their games.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Prior to the deadline I absolutely wanted:

• A 2-way match-up forward who can be trusted against good players in tough situations
  • A big-body forward who gets to the net
  • An agitating forward who can forecheck
  • A legitimate top 4 defenceman
  • A new backup goalie

Like his profile or not, Byram crossed the D-man off the list, but losing Mittelstadt means at least one of the forwards should be of 2nd-line calibre.

At least one of the skaters should have an intimidation factor, at least one needs to be a respected leader, and all 3 need to be competitive.

The three new forwards will be replacing Okposo, Girgensons and Mittelstadt on the everyday roster. Olofsson's replacement as the offensive spare forward comes from the prospect pool. The defensive spare forward should be a meaner Robinson.

I think the 8 guys we have on the blueline right now are coming back. I'd flip one for a similar level player who adds more edge if I could.

I'm going to count on the increased offence coming from in-house: a mix of Tuch, Thompson, Quinn, Peterka, Cozens and Benson.

A key part of that should come from a complete revamp of the power play. I need someone to draw attention from Dahlin and Thompson and/or take advantage of the attention they get. I'm intrigued by Byram and I'm looking hard at Jack Quinn, who was deadly on the PP as an Amerk. Skinner is off my PP1.

None of this can happen with the current coaching staff and without at least one or two legit playmakers added to this forward group.  We no longer have any forwards who can drive offense unless Benson takes a major leap forward next season.  We also have a series of square pegs that we are trying to drive into round holes on defense.  The D structure was made worse by adding Byram.  We don't have enough defenders who actually play defense well.  We also aren't physical enough at forward or defense.  The team's improved defensive numbers come primarily from the improved play of UPL.  We have allowed the 8th most HDC in the NHL and our HDSA are worse than last year.

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

None of this can happen with the current coaching staff and without at least one or two legit playmakers added to this forward group.  We no longer have any forwards who can drive offense unless Benson takes a major leap forward next season.  We also have a series of square pegs that we are trying to drive into round holes on defense.  The D structure was made worse by adding Byram.  We don't have enough defenders who actually play defense well.  We also aren't physical enough at forward or defense.  The team's improved defensive numbers come primarily from the improved play of UPL.  We have allowed the 8th most HDC in the NHL and our HDSA are worse than last year.

You're really taking the loss of Mitts hard aren't you?

I will say that last night certainly did nothing to prove you wrong.

10 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

McDavid is a playmaker, but he scores a lot of goals. If we need to arbitrarily cling to players being defined by a max of one designation, he’s not typically classified as a “goal scorer” - but that doesn’t stop McDavid from being one of the best goal scorers on the NHL.

It shouldn’t dampen our outlook on Quinn as a playmaker is his stat line one day reads 40g 40a rather than 20g 40a. Quinn can pass the puck. 

Benson: again, not a skill issue, execution issue. He’s not producing yet, no, but you said it in your post: “rookie”. Obviously we know we need production now and outside help at that, but the discussion was more so veering into whether Benson in theory could represent the playmaking from wing we need and the answer is definitely yes. 

Just now, dudacek said:

You're really taking the loss of Mitts hard aren't you?

I will say that last night certainly did nothing to prove you wrong.

It's not just Mitts.  It's the structure of the team.  KA and DG have zero idea how to build structure a lineup or build out a roster.  None.  All the top 9 forwards are basically the same player except Greenway and maybe Benson.  Now most of the defenders (so to speak) are varying degrees of the same player except Mule and Clifton.  This isn't how you build a team.  You need guys who different things.  We need more physical forwards, more playmakers and less shoot first guys.  All the forwards can pass.  Last year Skinner was much more focused on passing and his line excelled.  This year he is back to only shoot first and he is a drag on all his lines.  You mentioned Quinn, but he to is a shoot first guy.  JJP is an excellent passer, but he to has been a shoot first guy this season.  I get that DG wants them to shoot more, but you have to be smarter than that.  These guys have all played hockey enough to know that sometimes a shot isn't the best play.  

We clearly need players from outside of this system. 2 or 3 leaders in their prime or older. Guys who expect every year to be in the playoffs and literally drag their team mates along. Trade picks and prospects to get it done. Plus a new coaching staff. And for gawds sake stop this nonsense about blocking the kids. While you’re at it fire KA. Too much to ask for ? Then accept 3 more years waiting for the kids to develop and the consequences of that.

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Thorny said:

cDavid is a playmaker, but he scores a lot of goals. If we need to arbitrarily cling to players being defined by a max of one designation, he’s not typically classified as a “goal scorer” - but that doesn’t stop McDavid from being one of the best goal scorers on the NHL.

All great players can score and pass, that's what makes them great.  McDavid's stat line this season is 23g 77a.  I'd say he is a playmaker first, despite being one of the best goal scorers in the league. Gretzky was much the same way. McD has 326g and 624a for his career.  Compare to Skinner 353g 311a.  Which of these players likely drives offense and which one is primarily a goal scorer?

Except Matthews and Sam Reinhart, all the top 15 forwards in the NHL all create significantly more than they score including MacKinnon, Kucherov, Panarin, Nylander, Miller, Rantanen, Draisaitl, Petterson, Marner, M Tkachuk, and Thomas.  Most have 1.5 to 2 assists for each goal they score.  Outside of Casey, of our forwards with over 20 points, only Cozens has a similar type ratio.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

1 minute ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

All great players can score and pass, that's what makes them great.  McDavid's stat line this season is 23g 77a.  I'd say he is a playmaker first, despite being one of the best goal scorers in the league. Gretzky was much the same way. McD has 326g and 624a for his career.  Compare to Skinner 353g 311a.  Which of these players likely drives offense and which one is primarily a goal scorer?

Yes? 

Wait, 

no

I'm convinced this coaching staff in its entirety must go. Won't happen but any hope for next year depends on it. KA is secure so I think we'll change assistants at best.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1