Peterka - Thompson - Tuch

Greenway - Krebs - 

Skinner -                -      

Byram - Dahlin 

Samuelsson - Power

Johnson - Clifton/Jokiharju

UPL

-

Backup goalie, and a few good, 2-way competent veteran depth forwards. Prefer a “middle 6” designation, tbh. I’m not talking Jost level depth 

realistically we need F upgrades even better than that: but this is a bare minimum. Trading Casey may point to an attempt at a legit top 6 F add im just not holding my breath 

Edited by Thorny

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Benson - Cozens - Quinn

Peterka - Thompson - Tuch

Greenway - Krebs - 

Skinner -                -      

Byram - Dahlin 

Samuelsson - Power

Johnson - Clifton/Jokiharju

UPL

-

Backup goalie, and a few good, 2-way competent veteran depth forwards. Prefer a “middle 6” designation, tbh. I’m not talking Jost level depth 

You alluded to it earlier, but Benson's playmaking and Thompson's physical gifts always made sense to me.

First thing I though of when we picked him was "Skinner replacement"

9 minutes ago, dudacek said:

You alluded to it earlier, but Benson's playmaking and Thompson's physical gifts always made sense to me.

First thing I though of when we picked him was "Skinner replacement"

True, that would work. I just really like the idea of Benson and Quinn on the same line. Two best Fs long term I think and I think they’d work well together. Especially with a powerful C in between which could be either of the two imo, if they are on their game.

Edited by Thorny

Get rid of Skinner for whatever we can get. The one constant between a bad Sabres team and formerly bad Canes team is Skinner. Too one dimensional.

Reliable backup for UPL.

Third line center. It’s not Krebs.

An upgrade to Tuch, if possible. Peterka should replace Skinner. Tuch is a middle six guy so we need a different RW on the top line. Skating big circles and lolly gagging isn’t what Quinn and Cozens do so Tuch goes on the third line with Greenway.

Benson and some prospects compete to fill Peterka’s current spot.

In total, 1RW, 3C, backup goalie, fourth line winger. All three skaters need to be vets, 25 to 30.

6 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

1.) whatever it is you do later in the season, do it in camp. This team seems like they get ready to play toward the end of the year but aren't at the beginning of the schedule.

2.) new Powerplay. Yes, its SLIGHTLY better lately, but they don't move the puck as fast as other teams, they obviously aren't as effective as many other teams. Even if Tage is hurt and he is back to 'himself' next year, that doesn't fix the underlying problem.  Get a new assistant coach? make radical changes to how you operate it, but fix it.

3.) Re-sign Zemgus, but get 2 other new guys for the 4th line.

4.)  Greenway is playing well this year, Benson looks good "for a rookie"...but you need to add/find a guy who is going to net you 20-25 goals to ADD to what you have now.  Quinn needs to come back too, but i'm talking about adding another scorer in addition to him.

5.) Pray for less injuries to key players.  Tage NEEDS to get back at least part of the way to his form of the last 2 years (I bring him up again because he is that important).

6.) I don't think it is REQUIRED, but it would be nice to see a guy who can drop the gloves and be good at it. I don't mean someone who is going to go out there looking for it every game. Not someone who is even going to take a fighting major once per week, but someone who CAN do it well, someone WILLING when the situation arises, and someone skilled enough to be a good 4th liner and maybe sub in temporarily on a higher line.

7.) Sign UPL, expect good play from him, but don't be surprised if he regresses slightly from his current form.

No, Zemgus is so over rated by this fan base, he needs to leave like two-three seasons ago. 

We also need another NHL quality goalie. Cromrie still being here is a joke and thinking Levi be ready to play one year after college was a bigger joke. 

• Disagree 1

We have learned a lot of truth about DG and his team since the Mitts/Byram trade.

1) Byram sadly pointed out how poorly coached the PP was when he was actually telling his new teammates where they were supposed to go.  Sad

2) Mitts has now pointed out how ill prepared the team is physically.  Mitts about how hard the Avs work in practice compared to the Sabres illustrates why the Avs win and the Sabres don't.

If these two incidents/comments aren't an indictment of DG and and his staff them I don't know what is.  

It's time to move on from DG and his staff.

The next question is what can KA do to make his team a playoff team next season?  The biggest issue is that he is going to run back basically the same roster he has right now.

The following forwards are under contract (8) - Benson, TNT, Tuch, Skinner, Cozens, JJP, Quinn, Greenway.  Krebs, who is now, for reasons only known to KA/DG, the 3rd line center is an RFA.  Therefore the top 9 forwards are set for next year.  Robinson will be cheap to retain and honestly, he has given a legit effort every night.  I'd rather have him back instead of Jost and Girgensons.  

While there are 3 to 4 openings for depth forwards, there are no openings for defenders and this should scare Sabres fans.  Dahlin, Byram, Clifton, Mule and Power are all under contract.  There was a "X" post by the Sabres already touting are 4 great D 23 and under.  Joki and Bryson are RFAs and at a minimum Joki will return.  

UPL is an RFA and will be re-signed.  The only question will KA rush Levi to the NHL or sign a legit NHL backup.  My guess is the cheap interfering ownership will want to go with Levi.  

By bringing back the 3 "key" RFAs (Joki, UPL and Krebs) at a max cost of $10 million, and then doing the KA absolute minimum on the depth players the Sabres roster will actually cost about $81 million.  TP isn't getting his money's worth.  Given that financial backdrop, don't expect any big spending this summer.

The run it back roster is not a playoff team in the East unless a miracle occurs.  They have no proven playmakers, they are talented on D, but don't defend well.  Also the forwards still have no clue how to backcheck.  The only way for the miracle to occur is for a new coach to come in and make a difference, for the kids upfront, JJP, Quinn, and Benson, become the offensive catalysts, for UPL to repeat this year's success but from day 1, and for the team to stay healthy.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

On 3/8/2024 at 9:48 AM, GASabresIUFAN said:

None of this can happen with the current coaching staff and without at least one or two legit playmakers added to this forward group.  We no longer have any forwards who can drive offense unless Benson takes a major leap forward next season.  We also have a series of square pegs that we are trying to drive into round holes on defense.  The D structure was made worse by adding Byram.  We don't have enough defenders who actually play defense well.  We also aren't physical enough at forward or defense.  The team's improved defensive numbers come primarily from the improved play of UPL.  We have allowed the 8th most HDC in the NHL and our HDSA are worse than last year.

There's a whole lot in this post that is just wrong. Saying Byram makes the defense worse is batshit crazy. Of course, you also wanted to waive 6K, so...

27 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I doubt it, Couture may not even play much less be able to play at a reasonable level to be bestowed the C.

So why are you so desperate to have him while knowing he’s not going to play? 

Edited by #freejame

On 3/7/2024 at 1:47 PM, Night Train said:

Sabres plans..

1. Get a new set of Callaways.

2. Work on the iron game. 

3. Hit Cabo for 2 weeks. 

Have a new 60, and lightly used Scotty Newport, need a new sand wedge and 58 and Id like a 7 wood fairway rescue driver though not sure itd do any good

1 hour ago, #freejame said:

So why are you so desperate to have him while knowing he’s not going to play? 

2 fold, he might play which would be a solid pick up or if he can’t play we have gotten out of Skinner’s deal and will have plenty of cap space due to LTIR

• Like (+1) 2