Casey Mittelstadt traded for Bowen Byram

inkman

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Random quote from the Avs forum on HFBoards:

I think we all know what he means.

They filled a need they had so of course it clicks. They also don't miss BB because they got Walker and he is playing outstanding hockey this year. You can see how Philly misses him. 

11 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

They filled a need they had so of course it clicks. They also don't miss BB because they got Walker and he is playing outstanding hockey this year. You can see how Philly misses him. 

It was a very good hockey trade for both teams. Mitts fills a need for them. BB fills a need for us. They made another move to find a short term replacement for Byram.

Bo has solidified a true top pairing for the Sabres and dropped Joker down to solidify the 2nd pair with Power. 

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

It was a very good hockey trade for both teams. Mitts fills a need for them. BB fills a need for us. They made another move to find a short term replacement for Byram.

Bo has solidified a true top pairing for the Sabres and dropped Joker down to solidify the 2nd pair with Power. 

Hate agreeing with above because I miss Mitts... but Byrum makes Sabres better and Mitts was a sure need for AVS

31 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

It's a hockey trade for sure. No question. Not sure BB filled a "need" for us though. We have two #1 picks on D and the need was more of complimentary pieces for them than another top pairing guy. I'm not saying he isn't a D upgrade, but now we have a big hole at center. How they fill that this off season is crucial. 

Trading Mitts away seems to go against the grow our own model they spout. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

It's a hockey trade for sure. No question. Not sure BB filled a "need" for us though. We have two #1 picks on D and the need was more of complimentary pieces for them than another top pairing guy. I'm not saying he isn't a D upgrade, but now we have a big hole at center. How they fill that this off season is crucial. 

Trading Mitts away seems to go against the grow our own model they spout. 

Disagree. Byram filled a big need on the backend. It set up our D corps. Joker partnered with Power has helped Power a lot since the deal was made. The entire pace of play has changed since Bryan has come into the lineup which was desperately needed.

Finding a 2-3 C is easier to replace than a young top pairing D.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Disagree. Byram filled a big need on the backend. It set up our D corps. Joker partnered with Power has helped Power a lot since the deal was made. The entire pace of play has changed since Bryan has come into the lineup which was desperately needed.

I can argue what is harder to find both ways.  This team (Sabres) spent a LONG time trying to find top Centers...and while you can argue you did have 'decent' #2 or #3 guys, you haven't had a very good one through most of the last 15 years.

A top pair D-man, yeah, those are REALLY hard to find. But, you have one in Dahlin, I think you could say you might/should have one eventually in Power.  Is Byram overkill in terms of top D-man, and what you might have to pay them when he is up for a new deal?  Again, I could argue this either way.

Ultimately, I'm happy with the deal.  Mostly because in a VERY small sample size, Bryam looks really good here.  But also because I think Mitts is a 'good' #2 or #3 center, but I was not as high on him as many on this board and I think a player like Byram has a better chance of being a bigger difference-maker on this roster than Mitts did.

2 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

After watching BB play for us in this short stint, I like this deal for us. The advantage that having a player like Mitts is that although it is fair to categorize him as a 2-3 C, he still had the talent to move up to the first line and keep that line playing as a productive line. Mitts can also play as a wing on a variety of lines. As you and others have stated, this is simply a good hockey trade that makes sense for all parties involved. It will be interesting to see how Krebs handles his elevated roll as a 3C. So far, I would say reasonably well. However, not sure if that will be his long-term slot. 

Krebs will either step up at centre or a kid like Savoie or Östlund will get a chance or you use a combination of your surplus of young forward players and prospects: Krebs, Savoie, Kulich, Östlund, Rosen, Wahlberg, 2024 1st round pick to acquire a guy that can fill the spot. All those guys won’t be able to play in the lineup so some are assets you use to fill in holes.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

After watching BB play for us in this short stint, I like this deal for us. The advantage that having a player like Mitts is that although it is fair to categorize him as a 2-3 C, he still had the talent to move up to the first line and keep that line playing as a productive line. Mitts can also play as a wing on a variety of lines. As you and others have stated, this is simply a good hockey trade that makes sense for all parties involved. It will be interesting to see how Krebs handles his elevated roll as a 3C. So far, I would say reasonably well. However, not sure if that will be his long-term slot. 

To be fair -  I don't really think Gus has looked that outta place on "Line 1" either ... At least he finally gave that line some of that magical 'net front presence' they needed.

1 hour ago, ska-T Chitown said:

To be fair -  I don't really think Gus has looked that outta place on "Line 1" either ... At least he finally gave that line some of that magical 'net front presence' they needed.

The HC has juggled the lines and the combos seem to work. I agree with you that he adds more physicality to that line and much needed net presence. He made a nifty back pass to Thompson ?? for a score. But that's more of a temporary assignment that is currently working. And it should be noted that Skinner got a hat trick with Krebs at center and JJ on his wing. To his credit, Granato has tried different things that seem to work. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, ska-T Chitown said:

giphy.gif

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, North Buffalo said:

Not sure but CM scored last night for AVS

Guaranteed Avs vs Panthers in the Finals with Casey and Samson fighting  for the Conn Smythe.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, pi2000 said:

Guaranteed Avs vs Panthers in the Finals with Casey and Samson fighting  for the Conn Smythe.

yeh damn... hurts to be a Sabre fan... especially after watching Zadorov and Myers play last night

• Eyeroll 1

33 minutes ago, ... said:

Another shot at Meatballs. There's no denying the theme in the comments from those who have escaped.

Just Embarrassing, I can't wait till he's gone .

But hey knowing our luck Matt Ellis Is the next coach to continue the clown show

• Haha (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, ... said:

Another shot at Meatballs. There's no denying the theme in the comments from those who have escaped.

Like the old saying goes, you play like you practice. 

But I always add that you practice like you’re coached.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ... said:

Escape from New York 3: Sabres 2024

IMG_1137.thumb.webp.7b25a438f36e7030b458a2832b6f1104.webp

“The name’s Meatballs, Donny Meatballs”

”I heard about you.  I heard you were dead”.

• Haha (+1) 1