Casey Mittelstadt traded for Bowen Byram

inkman

36 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I'm honestly kinda curious as to why exactly; he annoys me at times but I've never had immense feelings good or bad with him.

I didn't like him at all until about a month and half ago when it became apparent what he was trying to do, other than scoring, was working more than it was not. If we gave Mitts 7 years to develop the game he just left us with, we can give Krebs the rest of this season to develop his. I think they're relatively similar except Krebs will actually do stupid things like hit other players and be an agitator.

Edited by ...
and

Just now, Crusader1969 said:

Interesting that they will pair Byram and Dahlin 

Hopefully they have chemistry.  Will be a fun duo 

One of Samuelsson or Joker has to be on way out.   

what's better 

Power - Samuelsson

or 

Power - Jokiharju???

Well Joki had a breakout year and finally looks like a top 4 D (in my opinion) so it’s probably him going out. Sammy was injured and regressed. Makes sense to keep him.

How is my GMKA impression?

• Awesome! (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I am highly skeptical that KA could've gotten more for Mitts than Byram.  Frankly, I'm pretty surprised he got that much.

You might be right, I might be overvaluing Mitts and/or undervaluing Byram.  

But my point is that if he wasn't "shopping" Mitts like he said he wasn't, he would never know whether he was getting appropriate value.  And if he was "shopping" Mitts, then he certainly didn't wait long enough for other teams to try to outbid the Avs.  If the Avs gave him an ultimatum, he absolutely should have been "shopping" him the whole time.  

• Eyeroll 1

6 hours ago, Thorny said:

It is ABSURD to say KA didn’t have a choice. Absurd. By the prism of his own strategies? Sure: but those strategies are in and of themselves a choice. He was an *RFA*. If we had interest in prioritizing RESULTS next year, the decision was clear

even our hockey trades aren’t hockey trades, they are a willing shift towards prioritizing the future. Again. Never about the now: we just refuse. 

I'm going to disagree with that. If you've laid out a long term vision and have decided what percentage of your money goes to what position, then your hands are tied, even if you are the one who tied them. idk what Mitts was asking for, but I suspect it was a number far too high and thus trading him makes more sense than being stuck in a contract problem that would only serve to increase the nobody wants to be here conversation. Better to move him before that happens. 

Only problem is it'll be the same thing with Byram. 

I'm not going to disagree that Adams has made his own bed, just that having made it, he has to lie in it. One cannot keep switching plans in the middle. The problem the team has will remain the same with Mitts or with Byram. Lack of solid veteran leadership, depth and grit. No veteran back up goalie. No 2 way 3C . The same holes as ever. 

Unless he makes more changes. 

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

I think this deal more so proves the “can’t get good players” idea false. It proves the “you have to pay up for them” idea true

The actual structure of the deal is actually quite promising 

1) we traded someone liked

2) going with the idea it is indeed a “now” trade, it demonstrates a willingness to perhaps “lose” a trade from a perception standpoint, raw current production standpoint to WIN the war by addressing a need. I don’t know if I agree with the execution, namely, whether a left shot perhaps injury riddled player addresses said need, but, the method behind the madness is extremely encouraging 

3) hockey trade 

I quite like the mechanics behind the deal. I might like the mechanics of the deal enough that even irrespective of my evaluation of the actual components, I’m glad we made it 

We don’t know how good he is, or how good he will be.

So if we are trying to improve now then maybe this is not the right guy.  We have 23 year old Dahlin, 21 year old Power. We have Johnson. We locked up Power and Dahlin for big dollars. 

- 22 years old

- 190 ish pound defender

- the Avs moving on from him

- we lost our best 2way center to get him. 

Looks like a development project, I want to win now.  We have enough youth already.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

What would you have traded Mitts for? A 22 year old top 4 Dman is what they got for him.

Who says he is top 4?   We don’t know yet.  Does he compliment the top 4 we have?  Who does he replace at LHD?    Will someone be traded?  

I am not sure we need him as much as we needed the guy we traded away.  More moves must be coming. 

Edited by Pimlach

16 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Looks like a development project, I want to win now.  We have enough youth already.  

He played 25 minutes in the Stanley Cup Final clinching game two years ago. 

Edited by Brawndo

Just now, Brawndo said:

He played 25 minutes in the Stanley Cup Final clinching game two years ago. 

Good.  Why are they trading him two years later straight up for Mitts?  

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, inkman said:

That’s funny.  I was just going to ball wash Peyton.  Definition of a beauty.  GTFO!!🤣

I think he means “beauty” in the Shoresy sense of the word. As in, “The Jims are such f**kin beauties.”

Edited by K-9

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

Good.  Why are they trading him two years later straight up for Mitts?  

They have four defenseman signed for longer than 3 seasons, where as Byram only has two years left
They have 13 players signed for next season and have 9.6 million in cap space 

They needed a center and Byram was the cost to get one. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

They have four defenseman signed for longer than 3 seasons, where as Byram only has two years left
They have 13 players signed for next season and have 9.6 million in cap space 

They needed a center and Byram was the cost to get one. 

They’re attempting to fill the greatest need they have right now. They’re not going to give up a 5th round pick to do that. 

15 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

It has the potential to be either a high risk or high reward move. 

They did move a player, who by all accounts wanted to be here, for a player who never played for Granato, signs of progress

I know you are joking, but has it got this bad?  

1 hour ago, Ctaeth said:

You might be right, I might be overvaluing Mitts and/or undervaluing Byram.  

But my point is that if he wasn't "shopping" Mitts like he said he wasn't, he would never know whether he was getting appropriate value.  And if he was "shopping" Mitts, then he certainly didn't wait long enough for other teams to try to outbid the Avs.  If the Avs gave him an ultimatum, he absolutely should have been "shopping" him the whole time.  

There was zero pressure to move him right now as Mitts has two more years of team control.

Adams mentioned he has spoken to the other 31 GMs to gauge interest in what types of moves that they would be interested in doing at the TDL and/or the summer. He also gave them the gave they the outline of what players, prospects and picks he would be willing to move if the deal made sense. 
Adams has a good  understanding of what would be available to acquire now or in the summer in a trade. Adams also mentioned that multiple players who had NTCs and NMCs said no at various points to Buffalo this past year. Adams also admitted that is a self inflicted wound by the Sabres. 

The fact that Mittelstadt’s Name was on multiple trade boards demonstrates the whole league knew he was available 

Colorado was willing to give a package that got the deal done to both sides liking. 

16 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I know you are joking, but has it got this bad?  

I really hope not 

• Like (+1) 1

A few thoughts that don't involve Rebel pilots:

Mitts wasn't the Sabres' 2C. 5-on-5 he was at 15:37 per game, 90 seconds more than TNT, and 2 minutes more than Cozens. He was their 1C this season. And he had earned those minutes based on play.

Byram-Dahlin...  We'll see, but it seems like both Dahlin and Byram could use a veteran stay-at-home-type to let them go on the offensive. Power still needs that, too. I wouldn't be surprised if Byram looks "best" with R.Johnson the remainder of this season.

They're playing on the D-corp's timeline. And that could very easily be 2025-26 now at the earliest (when Dahlin is 25, Byram is 24, Muel is 25, Power is 23, and R.Johnson is 24). 15 years? 16?