Ten points out, two games in hand, play Tampa last game of season and some of the teams ahead of are slumping. Is it really that impossible?

tom webster

On 3/3/2024 at 1:32 PM, tom webster said:

I go back and forth on the internal cap. Trades that came close only to fall apart, usually because of NMC or free agent choices would seem to indicate that he was given freedom to go higher. On the other hand, they just might be good at getting their story of “trying” out to just enough people.

A positive sign for me would be retention of some salaries at the TDL, something they haven’t done in a while 

8 hours ago, xzy89c1 said:

I think this is a certainty. As of a couple years ago sabres had lost 300 million since he purchased team. That number has only gone up with no line of sight to either profitability nor winning. Lord help us when he passes away. Not sure there is an angel owner to keep team in buffalo. Not one fortune 500 company HQ'd in Buffalo. Population dropping fast. Taxes going up. Houston Sabres? KC Sabres. Would rather keep sabres than bills...

The value of the franchise has increased exponentially and probably would go for over one billion in a sale.

Pegula could sell a portion of the team to raise cash and still maintain control 

M&T Bank is headquartered in Buffalo and was 439 on the most recent Forbes 500 ranking.

The City of Buffalo experienced a slight increase in population recently. 

Taxes are what they are, but 850 million for a new stadium is nothing to sneeze at. 

There is a non relocation clause in the Pegula Sale Contract. 

Mismanagement from ownership has played the largest role in the decline of revenues and wins. Build a winner and the fans start returning. 

The NHL values keeping the Sabres in Buffalo given the proximity to Canada and has a contacts with potential ownership groups who would keep the team here. 

Salt Lake City and Atlanta will be entering the league as expansion franchises within the next five years, causing the values of franchises to continue to climb. 

Arizona’s Arena Situation and Winnipeg’s decreased attendance and revenue( with the Canadian Dollar worth .75 cents to the USD) in a Canadian Market is the only reason they are candidates for relocation.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

The population is not dropping fast. It even appears to be ticking up after a decade of very modest declines year by year. Same for Erie Co. It's not the 70s and 80s anymore.

Brawndo's comment is more researched, but anecdotally I see a lot of people on Reddit and other places moving to Buffalo. It's regularly listed as a good place to live and inexpensive compared to other cities that the people that dream of owning a home can actually do it.

Just now, MattPie said:

Brawndo's comment is more researched, but anecdotally I see a lot of people on Reddit and other places moving to Buffalo. It's regularly listed as a good place to live and inexpensive compared to other cities that the people that dream of owning a home can actually do it.

The problem with that is as the numbers move here population rises, demand for goods and services rise, prices in turn rise. Also, while the WNY is subjected to the abuse by Albany, for the most part, counties here are more fiscally conservative, save Erie County. Are those who are moving to the region conservative leaning, or are they more of the "it's not my money, so spend away" crowd? If the latter, it won't take long for the area to become less manageable on the cost of living side.

6 minutes ago, Scottysabres said:

The problem with that is as the numbers move here population rises, demand for goods and services rise, prices in turn rise. Also, while the WNY is subjected to the abuse by Albany, for the most part, counties here are more fiscally conservative, save Erie County. Are those who are moving to the region conservative leaning, or are they more of the "it's not my money, so spend away" crowd? If the latter, it won't take long for the area to become less manageable on the cost of living side.

I think most people moving to the City of Buffalo (I should have spelled that out, my mistake) aren't in the "Taxation is theft" crowd. Not as many people are talking about moving to the Buffalo suburbs. It seems like a number of people that are moving because they can get the metropolitan life they want with out the cost of living in a large city.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

Fiscally conservative? What's that? Can't be talking about the current conservative party, they certainly are not fiscally conservative. 

I'm glad I pay school taxes and support my local public school system. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Vomit 1

43 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Fiscally conservative? What's that? Can't be talking about the current conservative party, they certainly are not fiscally conservative. 

I'm glad I pay school taxes and support my local public school system. 

I'm talking about communities that actually tow the line on budget. Let's not make the conversation in to something it doesn't have to be.

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/5/2024 at 7:28 AM, Scottysabres said:

15 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

I'm talking about communities that actually tow the line on budget. Let's not make the conversation in to something it doesn't have to be.

😂

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 3/4/2024 at 6:49 PM, PASabreFan said:

The population is not dropping fast. It even appears to be ticking up after a decade of very modest declines year by year. Same for Erie Co. It's not the 70s and 80s anymore.

Not to derail the thread, but the region has been losing population for decade until recently. The 90's weren't good and nearly were the early aughts or even the 2010's for that matter. 

Some things are getting better for some people. But all in all the city is still is in rough shape. Child poverty is an important number to watch. Buffalo is still at 40%+ and they have been for decades. This is nearly triple the national average and over double the state average. This is an important number to watch for a number of reasons, not the least of which is the fact that class stratification is rare in the US.

Yes it happens. Sure it is worse in other countries.

But the numbers around class stratification relative to your parents are super similar to height. It is just as unlikely in the US to have two parents at 5'8 and be 6'0+ as it is to grow up on public assistance and make it to the middle class.

There is a larger macro conversation to be had for sure. But ultimately until this number is substantially reduced I refuse to believe that there is any real Buffalo renaissance. You cannot have that many children living in poverty for decades upon decades. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/3/2024 at 4:40 PM, Thorny said:

Devils and Caps both lost today already

what are we even doing here? Yes we can make it 

I’m telling you - the teams above us are objective ass

so much of the “math in undoable” stuff comes from thinking we need to hit 95 points. 90 might get in. 90

the math isn’t great but these teams are defying already low expectations! Surely, surely a concept we Sabres fans plenty of training in 

- - - 

Peguins have the same amount of points as us.

Devils (losing) will have a mere 2 more 

Caps (lost) have 3 more 

Islanders have 4 more 

…if the Sabres win today, we are *two points* clear of ONLY looking up at WC2. Are people just refusing to look at the standings? “All these teams we need to pass.” We will have 20 games to gain 2 points (the amount for 1 win) if we secure the dub today. Would be 1 back of Wash and 2 back of the Islanders.

We’d be 8 back of Tampa with a game in hand. We’d be 8 back of Detroit and play them 3 times

On 3/3/2024 at 4:39 PM, PASabreFan said:

I mean why stop at playoffs? If the Sabres have a real shot at making the playoffs despite the gauntlet Brawndo lays out, why not say the Sabres are legitimate Cup contenders RIGHT NOW? Why would they cool off after winning 52 of 55 games or whatever plausible scenarios some are proposing? In fact it should be easier to win the Cup than make the playoffs. You can go 16-12 and do that.

👀

• Like (+1) 1

Sabres are now +2 in Goal Differential this year.  Currently they are the only team with a positive goal differential not in a playoff position. They are tied with the Caps at 69 points, but they have 2 games in hand even tho they have a terrible -32 goal differential.  Mind boggling honestly. 

Edited by matter2003

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

Sabres are now +2 in Goal Differential this year.  Currently they are the only team with a positive goal differential not in a playoff position. They are tied with the Caps at 69 points, but they have 2 games in hand even tho they have a terrible -32 goal differential.  Mind boggling honestly. 

3 games 

4 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

even more pathetic. How the hell can you have a higher points percentage with a -34 goal differential?

We lose a lot of tight games and win going away? I truly don’t know. And I don’t know if it’s even predictive. At the end of the day it’s “how many” not “how”, to be fair 

- - - 

sabres are technically 13th in east still by points %, which is kinda wild. But the gap to 8 is only 3 points. It’s really tightened up. Until we theoretically pull away the odds will look tough cause if we are about tied with 5 teams its 1/6, but honestly with HOW we seem to be playing, though as a gambler you still take the field, it’s getting to the point where, soon, the Sabres could be the best bet if picking any ONE team 

Edited by Thorny

As of right now, there isn’t a team 8 or below that’s at 50% or above to make it. We are nearing closer to only being unlikely to make it because of “the field” collectively being an issue, but perhaps as likely to make it as any one other team 

• Like (+1) 1