Who is this year’s Jordan Greenway?

Every year there is a player or two traded at the deadline with term who is traded because he needs a change of scenery.

Last season KA smartly acquired Greenway for a 2nd and he has been a quality addition to this roster.  He has played up and down the lineup, scored some timely goals, and killed penalties effectively.  

So who could be this deadline’s Jordan Greenway for the Sabres? 

I predict it will be a dissapointing trade deadline, not only for the Sabres but overall, just minor impact players moving. I hope to be wrong.

There are some RFAs that definitely need change of scenery. Kakko, Kaliyev, Mercer to name the three best. I do not think that Adams brings anyone of them to Buffalo, they might get in the way of our own prospects. And it might not be what we need either. I think he will be looking for veterans and grit. 

I hope he try to get Rasmus Andersson. Maybe Dowd to the fourth line.

• Like (+1) 1

I guess we'll have to keep looking at a list of every American player Granato coached with the team USA program, see who is currently in the NHL but not having a major role with their team, and can be traded for with less than a 1st round pick or a top prospect. I haven't done the research, but it should be someone off of that list.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, inkman said:

Nazem Kadri 

I went to a Boston playoff game a few years back against Toronto. He cheap shotted someone that year, all over the city they had wanted posters on every pole in the city with his mug on it and some funny $hit. 

I'd take Kadri on this team. I like the rat factor. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

If the team continues its winning ways this week then I suspect the only two UFA’s we would be looking to move are Olofsson and E. Johnson. Neither will return much and their cap levels might require double retention for a team to even give them consideration. I don’t think either will be deemed worth the effort for another team. Though I still think Olofsson has a 7-8 goals in 9-10 games streak in him that could help a team get into the playoffs or through a round or 2. 

If making the playoffs (or even taking a run at the playoffs) is even a remote possibility come Friday, then I don’t think the return on Okposo or Girgs would be worth upsetting the current progression. Both are playing well. 

It would be nice to replace Olofsson and E. Johnson as roster options with two players the team would have more faith in. I heard or read that the Oilers want to make a splashy add but need to move out a couple pieces; Foegele and Kulak were the mentioned odd men out. Foegele is a UFA but would be a good bottom 6 add down the stretch and a potential Girgs/Okie replacement next year. Kulak has two years left at 2.75, which is high for a bottom pair or 7th D. But down the stretch I think he would be a good depth add and looking ahead to next year, if Kulak and a reasonably priced Bryson are our 4th pair, then I think we would be in good shape on the blue line.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

What about Chychrun?  1 year left on his deal.  Ottawa wants to move him.  Mobile RHD.  Contract is for about $5 million.  

Joki and a 2nd for Chychrun?

Frankly I think Joki been better this year than Chychrun 

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

What about Chychrun?  1 year left on his deal.  Ottawa wants to move him.  Mobile RHD.  Contract is for about $5 million.  

No. Joki is getting better and expanding his game offensively. And compared to Chychrun, he has been more durable. What happens after a year when Chychrun's contract runs out? Needless to say, I'm more than a Joki fan than you are. 

If the GM was going to add another defenseman, I would like to see another Clifton like deal that would bring in another solid blueline player. If the GM was going to parlay a second-round pick, I would rather it be used to bring in a gritty forward who would give us more net presence. 

My priority would be to re-sign Mitts. Adding a Chycrun contract would make player retention more challenging. Again, no to your proposal.  

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

He is a LHD that Sens every now and then play to the right. I do not see him as the solid defenseman we need, he is a leak. I would definitely not trade Jokiharju and a 2nd for him. Zub is more interesting.

3 hours ago, pi2000 said:

Fowler, Dubois, Hertl, Zucker, Iafallo, Roslovic, Kapanen

I think you’re on to something with Roslovic.

I have a suspicion that Zucker (Karmanos/Ventura Connection) was the forward they pursued in UFA over the summer 

6 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I think you’re on to something with Roslovic.

I have a suspicion that Zucker (Karmanos/Ventura Connection) was the forward they pursued in UFA over the summer 

Are you saying that they tried to replace Quinn with Zucker?