Trade Deadline Deals (Non Sabres)

Brawndo

My take, after another uneventful trade deadline for the Buffalo Sabres: Either there weren't many takers for what GM Kevyn was offering, or, many players that may have been moved expressed no desire to play for this club (Using a NMC if they had one), or, GM Kevyn along with TPegs truly believes that this club is perhaps just another season away from getting the playoff monkey off its back. 

I, for one, won't believe in anything this club does until there is a coaching change and perhaps a GM change as well. I cannot see this group, as constructed, making the playoffs anytime soon. I do believe the talent is there, aside from some much needed grit and toughness. It just needs to be coached much better and accountability needs to be emphasized.

Please bring in some veteran hockey people to right this ship. What has been going on in the past decade continues to fail. Just my take.

51 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Vegas must be stopped, this is honestly absurd. They'll have a nearly 110 mil cap team this postseason

They're playing by the rules. And GMs aren't going to give up this power willingly because it gives them the opportunity to win, provided their owner wants to win and is willing to pay.

That said, the rule must be rewritten. It's pathetic loophole with the way the rest of the cap operates. Either you make the playoff rosters cap-bound, or any player placed on LTIR (it's for retirees and serious injuries like ACLs) is out until the start of the new fiscal season/UFA opening on 7/1.

But on a serious note, it's good to have a villain.

As Jackikin Eichwalker wants to remind us: "I have brought goals, a Cup, and LTIR exploitation to my new Empire!"

Edited by DarthEbriate

It does honestly feel like we never intend to improve; just pray that youngsters eventually figure things out. He was shopping for a vet Center and will continue in the summer but continuously has added about his faith in the prospects.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

They are going to try to re-sign Zemgus 

Zemgus should end his self-flagellation and move on next year.

3 minutes ago, Marvin said:

If he wants to make the playoffs and perhaps even win a series? Yup. He seems like one of those guys that the Blackhawks always seemed to have during the Toews-Kane glory days ...

1 hour ago, DarthEbriate said:

They're playing by the rules. And GMs aren't going to give up this power willingly because it gives them the opportunity to win, provided their owner wants to win and is willing to pay.

That said, the rule must be rewritten. It's pathetic loophole with the way the rest of the cap operates. Either you make the playoff rosters cap-bound, or any player placed on LTIR (it's for retirees and serious injuries like ACLs) is out until the start of the new fiscal season/UFA opening on 7/1.

But on a serious note, it's good to have a villain.

As Jackikin Eichwalker wants to remind us: "I have brought goals, a Cup, and LTIR exploitation to my new Empire!"

Darren Drager on Sabres Live said some of the owners are not happy with Vegas taking advantage of the playoff rule, and may push for a change for next season.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

https://www.facebook.com/BuffaloSabres/videos/1157992818908852

Adams presser on now. You can scroll back to start from the beginning.

Adams thinks he drafted Krebs, that was interesting. 🙂 

He's a good BS artist like most GMs. Hint of wanting to do something in free agency but vague enough to fall back on "the plan" if he doesn't succeed. Just keep on sailing right into that iceberg. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Marvin said:

Nobody else in the league has any interest in him. He will re-sign because he will get at least a million more than him. He’s had three opportunities to get going over the last year and remains. It’s a him issue. 

I’m looking forward to the same people bitching about Skinner’s contract to post off-season plans that include signing Z for the cost of an entire fourth line. 

Joke organization with a joke owner.  

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, #freejame said:

Nobody else in the league has any interest in him. He will re-sign because he will get at least a million more than him. He’s had three opportunities to get going over the last year and remains. It’s a him issue. 

I’m looking forward to the same people bitching about Skinner’s contract to post off-season plans that include signing Z for the cost of an entire fourth line. 

Joke organization with a joke owner.  

Other teams do have interest in him jame, they literally said he was pursued. He’s overpaid though.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Brawndo said:

3 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Vegas must be stopped, this is honestly absurd. They'll have a nearly 110 mil cap team this postseason

You know what is more absurd, and absolutely disgusting?… putting a retired player on your roster to get to the cap floor so that you can take advantage of profit sharing. If the league is going to change anything it should ban that from ever happening again.

Ridiculous.

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, Marvin said:

But he won’t. 
The Locomotive is a perfectly decent 4th liner who would be a solid contributor to a playoff roster. The problem is he works for a bunch of enablers who overpay him by $1.25M. His role could be played by a Robinson or a Rousek. Why leave when you have the salary safety net and no pressure?

Upon his re-signing this season I was hopeful he’d finally reach the playoffs. But nope. They don’t even have the decency to retain salary to move him to a contender. Instead, they’ll extend him.

Gonna put on my Hugh Beaumont voice: I’m not angry, Darth Pegulas. I’m just disappointed.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, pastajoe said:

Darren Drager on Sabres Live said some of the owners are not happy with Vegas taking advantage of the playoff rule, and may push for a change for next season.

As someone who lives in Vegas and knows this team well, they have an owner that wants to win. Plus Vegas is the entertainment capital of the world. I agree that it’s a stupid rule and should be changed. Tampa is the one that got away with it first but just because you spend all this money, you need luck, stay healthy, get hot at the right time, way too many factors go into this. I’m more concerned with what the roster will be next season with who stays and who goes. Everyone here loves Marchy and he’s a ufa.

2 hours ago, SabresBillsFan said:

As someone who lives in Vegas and knows this team well, they have an owner that wants to win. Plus Vegas is the entertainment capital of the world. I agree that it’s a stupid rule and should be changed. Tampa is the one that got away with it first but just because you spend all this money, you need luck, stay healthy, get hot at the right time, way too many factors go into this. I’m more concerned with what the roster will be next season with who stays and who goes. Everyone here loves Marchy and he’s a ufa.

I think Chicago was the first to find a way to circumvent cap rules. 

31 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I think Chicago was the first to find a way to circumvent cap rules. 

Chicago was the first to use it when Kane got legitimately hurt and had a timetable set for the last week of the season; so instead they gave him the extra week and used the small cap bonus they got to grab two players.

Next came Tampa who used a combo of injuries to manipulate the cap but only enough for a couple depth pieces

Vegas has turned it into a farce by LTIRing their captain 3 years in a row among other players in order to acquire more and more outlandish acquisitions

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, spndnchz said:

I remember Connolly. I think there was one other that year. 

Afinigenov, Connolly, and one other.  The league said that if they missed the rest of the regular season, then they could not be around the team until the day before game 1 of round 2.  I am angered that only Buffalo has this condition put on us 

• Like (+1) 2