(OT) big layoff at work

Marvin

17 minutes ago, Mango said:

I think there is this correlation to when people begin to age out of technology and what generation they think all people younger then them are. Totally anecdotal, but when my grandma complains about millennials she means gen Z. But she has been doing that since she created her 6th different facebook account because she forgot her password and didn't know how to reset it. 

In all honesty stuff like what I posted is why I always download the new apps, social media's etc. I don't love tiktok, or discord, or twitch at all. I don't even like some of them. But I understand the world is advancing at a wild pace and I cannot afford to age out of it. It took my grandma something like 70 years for the world to pass her by. In 2024 it can happen in an instant. 

In the case of your grandmother, was she ever really with the pace? I find most boomers like my parents, inlaws, friends parents, etc. found their niche in the world and don't venture very far out of it. It seems like a generational thing. Some of my Gen X friends are the same way but less commonly so.

When it comes to TikTok, Instagram, etc, I have very little interest compared to my teenagers. However, when it comes to doing real things using technology, they seem lost. They just discovered AI when I've been using it for about a year. They aren't able to do simple things like make decisions as to what reputable websites and search results are. Programming? Forget about it. 

Long story short, I don't feel like keeping up with the latest social media trends is necessarily going to lead to falling behind with technology. The main thing is to keep up with the real world stuff... Which as far as I can tell will be developments with AI (did I just use AI and real world in the same sentence?!??😶)  

17 minutes ago, JoeSchmoe said:

In the case of your grandmother, was she ever really with the pace? I find most boomers like my parents, inlaws, friends parents, etc. found their niche in the world and don't venture very far out of it. It seems like a generational thing. Some of my Gen X friends are the same way but less commonly so.

When it comes to TikTok, Instagram, etc, I have very little interest compared to my teenagers. However, when it comes to doing real things using technology, they seem lost. They just discovered AI when I've been using it for about a year. They aren't able to do simple things like make decisions as to what reputable websites and search results are. Programming? Forget about it. 

Long story short, I don't feel like keeping up with the latest social media trends is necessarily going to lead to falling behind with technology. The main thing is to keep up with the real world stuff... Which as far as I can tell will be developments with AI (did I just use AI and real world in the same sentence?!??😶)  

She was "OK' for a long time. She can use an iPad, set the timers on her DVR, put a VHS in and set it to record Wheel of Fortune or Seinfeld or whatever when she left the house. Way back when she could set the pre-set numbers on her house phone. etc. I would never consider her tech savvy at any point but she kept up at a reasonable pace for a long time.

I think it is easy to forget how quickly the world has progressed in the last 15 years. It has been remarkably quick. 

Re: the socials. I agree with your overall point on the current tech trends and prioritizing what is important. But one thing I keep pinned in the back of my head is similar to the situation with your kids. At some point the kids consuming all the IG, TT, Discord, etc. will be the same people shaping what technology looks like tomorrow. My parents taught me until I taught them. I teach my kids until they start teaching me and part of that is learned through their "daily drivers" that they use. 

PRO TIP for @Marvin and anybody else. If you aren't using Chat GPT for your resumes and cover letters, start now! The free version (3.5) does a good job but the paid (4.0/ $20/month) does noticeably better. Either way it is rare that any company is manually reading all their resumes these days. They are weeding them out via AI so it makes sense to use AI to give yourself a leg up. 

The prompts are super easy. I recommend fiddling around with them based on your resume, the job description, etc.  But at its most generic it is: 

1. Here is a job posting (copy paste)
2. Here is my resume (copy paste)
3. Optimize my resume for this job posting. 
4. Write me a cover letter using specific experiences from my resume that make me an ideal candidate for this role. 

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Mango said:

She was "OK' for a long time. She can use an iPad, set the timers on her DVR, put a VHS in and set it to record Wheel of Fortune or Seinfeld or whatever when she left the house. Way back when she could set the pre-set numbers on her house phone. etc. I would never consider her tech savvy at any point but she kept up at a reasonable pace for a long time.

I think it is easy to forget how quickly the world has progressed in the last 15 years. It has been remarkably quick. 

Re: the socials. I agree with your overall point on the current tech trends and prioritizing what is important. But one thing I keep pinned in the back of my head is similar to the situation with your kids. At some point the kids consuming all the IG, TT, Discord, etc. will be the same people shaping what technology looks like tomorrow. My parents taught me until I taught them. I teach my kids until they start teaching me and part of that is learned through their "daily drivers" that they use. 

Good point on the bolded. I didn't consider that.

Concerning your grandmother... Did she figure out how to set the VHS and the presets in her phone, or did she need someone to show her. Again, my experience with many boomers is they can do exactly what they've been shown, but can't figure out what to do if something goes wrong. My MIL has not watched TV in her downstairs rec room for a long time because she somehow switched it to a different Input that the Fire Stick we set up for her and cannot figure it out for herself. For as long as I've known her, she's been "helpless" in this regard.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Good point on the bolded. I didn't consider that.

Concerning your grandmother... Did she figure out how to set the VHS and the presets in her phone, or did she need someone to show her. Again, my experience with many boomers is they can do exactly what they've been shown, but can't figure out what to do if something goes wrong. My MIL has not watched TV in her downstairs rec room for a long time because she somehow switched it to a different Input that the Fire Stick we set up for her and cannot figure it out for herself. For as long as I've known her, she's been "helpless" in this regard.

Good point. She can figure some stuff out, but also no, no she can't. haha. 

17 hours ago, SwampD said:

Dude. Sorry to hear this.

There is a huge shake up where I work. Lots of layoffs (some deserved, but still sucks).

I’’m safe, but lucky me, it’s all happening at the same time that my brain decided to be a dick and try to kill me again. You just can’t imagine how hard it is to pretend to give a ***** about the extra workload and new schedules, while trying to figure a treatment plan and surgery schedule. Like it or not, soon I’m going to be out 4 to 6 weeks, and I won’t be thinking about you. The upside is I told my buddy that I’ll be showing up at his house with a zipper on my head right around the time the lakers start to head into the lower Niagara.

Wait…… I missed this.  Kick cancers’ ass, will ya?

• Like (+1) 1

• 1 month later...

Nothing worse than being on vacation and getting a text message from your boss that we need to talk when you get back. I reached out to him and asked what was up and he mentioned there was a reduction in workforce of 20-35% and that 75% of the physicians from our division where being laid off. It was done over a Zoom Meeting earlier that morning and of course the higher ups still had not shared the list of who was being cut with him( He is a very good friend of mine we have known each other since college so I know he wasn’t BSing me) I checked my work email and unfortunately I got an invite to the meeting and My Severance Package was emailed to me this morning.

Gotta love the practice of maximizing profits for shareholders over patient care, but that’s healthcare now a days 

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 1

16 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Nothing worse than being on vacation and getting a text message from your boss that we need to talk when you get back. I reached out to him and asked what was up and he mentioned there was a reduction in workforce of 20-35% and that 75% of the physicians from our division where being laid off. It was done over a Zoom Meeting earlier that morning and of course the higher ups still had not shared the list of who was being cut with him( He is a very good friend of mine we have known each other since college so I know he wasn’t BSing me) I checked my work email and unfortunately I got an invite to the meeting and My Severance Package was emailed to me this morning.

Gotta love the practice of maximizing profits for shareholders over patient care, but that’s healthcare now a days 

That cannot be a good feeling.

I don’t know much about your industry but I am sure you will land on your feet. Maybe not on your radar but there is a shortage in Canada.

Good luck.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Sorry to hear this news.

Crazy times.  You would be welcome  anywhere in Canada.  I hightly recommend Nova Scotia, especially Halifax.

13 minutes ago, French Collection said:

That cannot be a good feeling.

I don’t know much about your industry but I am sure you will land on your feet. Maybe not on your radar but there is a shortage in Canada.

Good luck.

Seeing that you failed to call dibs, I sent out an official invitation.  Sucka !!

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

Seeing that you failed to call dibs, I sent out an official invitation.  Sucka !!

I have been to your coast many times and would enjoy living there but a Sabres fan who attends games needs to remain nearby.

Gotta love the north, just got back from two weeks in the Caribbean and had to light the wood stove this morning.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Brutal. There are places that actually lay off doctors?

Vancouver Island is actively recruiting.

• Like (+1) 1

Anyone young out there looking for a future, think about learning how to fix the machines that are going to take the jobs from many people. When these fast food restaurants start to implement machines they will need a regional technician to fix, update, and program said machines. My buddy is a CEO for a large company who is already looking at hiring for this purpose saying in the next 5-10 years many places will need minimal staffing with a 1-2 local technicians to service said areas.

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, Brawndo said:

I worked for the federal government in a police/security agency. So I never had to contend with the anxiety that my job would be in jeopardy. I'm just curious so you don't have to answer my question: did you sign a contract that with your employer that stipulated a length of time and company renewal option when you joined this particular company? 

It used to be that working in the medical profession was mostly a calling with medical decisions mostly influenced by medical considerations. Now many medical decisions are overly influenced by business factors that make it a big challenge to work in your noble and challenging field of endeavor. 

I wish you the best. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Hearing this when it’s very difficult to find a primary care physician accepting new patients is even more maddening.  

I hope this opens new doors and it could be considered a good thing in the long run.  

• Like (+1) 1

Been there, appreciate the feelings…  Trust your instincts, experiences and abilities… Stay strong.

• Like (+1) 1

Sorry to hear this, hope you have multiple new options to pursue.  Good luck!!!

I worked my entire career for "corporate America"....long believed it was the best option for my family and I.  At the twilight of my career, I really grew to hate how corporations are run....every decision they make is for the "mega" shareholders, not the employees.  Nothing matters except short-term profitability.  Employees do not matter anymore, despite the false lip service they spew.

Edited by Carmel Corn
  • Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Sorry, that sucks

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Sorry about what happened. You will land on your feet. It’s tough for the MD’s out there. Large group practices, Hospital  systems and Insurance companies make your life a nightmare. 

• Like (+1) 1

People want to point their fingers at Big Pharma and how can they profit off of people’s misery and they are the cause of our ballooning health care costs, but they are nothing compared to what is going on with large hospital networks. Pharma makes it no secret they want to profit and have no direct say in people’s medical care. But, now we have hospitals whose very existence is to make a profit. They may call themselves a non-profit, but the people running them are laser focused on making money.

Private practices are becoming a relic with most of them are being bought up by very large hospital networks. This poses 2 issues. The physicians are no longer their own boss and medical decisions are now made to maximize profit. Physicians themselves will never go along with this model, so as a result, are being forced to double/triple book patients or being laid off. And it’s definitely not due to a lack of demand. Now with private equity becoming more involved with healthcare, this is only going to worsen. 

• Like (+1) 1

Sorry to hear that @Brawndo. Hang tough. I’m sure you’ll land on your feet but hoping it doesn’t involve uprooting your family.

I have a handful of clients in the medical profession- docs, PA’s, nurses. And we have discussions about the changes in the industry. I am fearful of the direction healthcare is headed in this country (USA).

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/19/2024 at 4:19 PM, Brawndo said:

Sorry to hear that. 

Hopefully you can find an even better landing spot, and enjoy the severance pay while you're at it!

I'm not sure what the job market is like for doctors in the US, but I'll echo the comment that there's plenty of jobs here in Canada. The pay might not be as good, and with some exceptions, the cost of living is generally higher, but there are some perks to living in Canada... YMMV.

• Like (+1) 1