GDT: Sabres @ Habs - Thu. 7 pm ET, Jan 4, 2024 MSG-B, ESPN+, RDS, TSN 📺 WGR 📻

Spoonman

17 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Levi gets the first star. He made a number of exceptional stops but what was most impressive is that there were few rebounds. 

Skinner gets the second star. The best pass of the game was his pass to Mitts for a goal. And the best shot of the game was his laser shot for a goal when he was on the side of the net.

Tage should buy Skinner a dinner. Skinner took care of him in this game. Our first line played well. 

image.thumb.png.9860dbf4784a66aa328e40c59d4c3ebd.png

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 2

Montreal never did what most teams that handle us do, which is stymie us at the blueline.  

If you allow Buffalo to penatrate the blueline and you're just defensively skating backwards,  they are deadly.

It was nice that they played well enough so Levi could win in his Montreal ice debut. Les Habitants stunk though. Nice to hear another team getting the boos at the end of a game instead of the Sabres. I think maybe Montreal's thin roster has run out of decent bodies and they will fall fast and hard to where they were projected season start. At least if that's all they have. 

It was nice to win. No reason to dissect the mistakes imo. Enough of that goes on for the losses.

• Like (+1) 3

11 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Clifton had a noticeably good game again,  he has settled in and cleaned up some things.  

Tonight made strong plays around our net, and offensively, and physically.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Clifton had a noticeably good game again,  he has settled in and cleaned up some things.  

Tonight made strong plays around the our net, and offensively, and physically.  

There’s a chance Clifton may get out of my doghouse yet. 

Maybe.

So that is what a complete effort looks like.  Wow!  Nice to see for a change.

That said, what a lazy crap play by Dahlin on the PP to allow that SHG.

Also really nice goals on the PP.  Finally they are trying something other than the slapper from TNT.  It's amazing what happens when the puck moves quickly and you get the PK out of position.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

9 hours ago, Doohickie said:

Cuzzy somehow got a double minor out of getting assaulted and battered.

image.thumb.png.02c1f75082b56515c78d3bbca84b31a7.png

Curb your enthusiasm there, Cuzzy.

If that can dissuade him from dropping the gloves, I’m all for it.  Pick your battles kid.  

8 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

It was nice that they played well enough so Levi could win in his Montreal ice debut.

Not to be a Donny downer, but this is one of the reasons why I’m not very excited about this win.  This team is an above average team when they show up and compete.  Last night it was Levi’s first game in Montreal, before that it was to “be there for Donny” or because they wanted to step it up to beat a top team. Otherwise they win one, and then take the next game or two off. 

The Penguins are 7-2-1 in the last 10.  If the Sabres come out and play a solid 60 on Saturday night it may give me some hope they turned the corner on the season. If they lose bad or give a half-hearted effort, well, it’s just more par for the course with Donny Meatballs at the helm…

11 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I want a team of Bensons and Quinns

At the moment, these are the only two Sabres whose games I give a damn about. I like them both a lot. Cliche' to say, but they play the right way. Neither are physical specimens by any means, but they're nonetheless so damn hard on the puck. They play as though the opposing players stole their lunch money.

10 hours ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Bruce Shoebottom

What a frickin' name.

37 minutes ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

This team is an above average team when they show up and compete.  Last night it was Levi’s first game in Montreal, before that it was to “be there for Donny” or because they wanted to step it up to beat a top team. Otherwise they win one, and then take the next game or two off. 

If they lose bad or give a half-hearted effort, well, it’s just more par for the course with Donny Meatballs at the helm…

Let the church say "amen." This is precisely it. And it's why this particular roster needs new coaches.

• Like (+1) 4

8 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

So that is what a complete effort looks like.  Wow!  Nice to see for a change.

That said, what a lazy crap play by Dahlin on the PP to allow that SHG.

Also really nice goals on the PP.  Finally they are trying something other than the slapper from TNT.  It's amazing what happens when the puck moves quickly and you get the PK out of position.  

Maybe I am crazy and I won't be mad if other saw it differently - but when I watch the replay of Dahlin's gaffe (I think the real mistake was underestimating the defender), he looks up to the blueline right away and sees a Montreal player either step-for-step with or ahead of the first Sabre coming back. He kept the offensive player to the top/outside of the faceoff circle - it was not that bad of a play when you consider Buffalo's forwards' reputations for not back checking. He thought they might have a 2-on-1, so he played the pass, like you are supposed to?

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.