GDT: Leafs @ Sabres - Thu. 7 pm ET, Dec 21, 2023, MSG-B ๐Ÿ“บ WGR ๐Ÿ“ป

Spoonman

13 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

The rest of the quote did show Dahls felt it was on them; he wasn't blaming the fans for their play. It was more akin to the team being angry that their problems were being blamed on Granatoย ย 

Yeah that makes sense. I figured Dahlin had a major disconnect with reality or something but this checks out.

9 hours ago, Contempt said:

Can we submit a list of the things that have really irritated us? An airing of grievances, in the true spirit of Festivus.

I apparently need to listen to Dahlin myself, but that quote at least threatens to hurt the connect the team and the fans want to have.

7 hours ago, lowsabre said:

Donny's a good guy. hope they come off this and turn it around

Is he though?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, rickshaw said:

Why does this idiot have a following?ย 

The guy rants about the Leafs and has done it for at least a decade. Even gained a job with Sportsnet I believe for a couple years before leaving again due to the success of his podcast.

Why he has a following is because he's the average angry fan.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, shrader said:

I feel like at least half the radio shows in the US have that same concept.ย 

Admittedly, I have never been a connoisseur of radio stations in other markets. However, Iโ€™ve never heard of another version of this anywhere. Certainly not on any Baltimore or Washington station.

17 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Why does WGR run the Whiner Line?ย  Find one answer, and you'll likely have the other as well.

14 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

I have no idea what the Whiner Line is, so....

(Remember, I haven't lived in Buffalo for 4 decades.)

12 minutes ago, SDS said:

Itโ€™s exactly what the name says. Itโ€™s also also a ***** stain on the city of Buffalo.

ย I don't believe this any longer exists. Pretty sure it's a thing of the past now.

• Thanks (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, SDS said:

Admittedly, I have never been a connoisseur of radio stations in other markets. However, Iโ€™ve never heard of another version of this anywhere. Certainly not on any Baltimore or Washington station.

Honestly, I thought I was being very conservative with that 50% mark. But then again, I feel like sports talk radio as a whole is really just one giant whiner line.ย 

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

I have no idea what the Whiner Line is, so....

(Remember, I haven't lived in Buffalo for 4 decades.)

To show you how obtuse I am I thought the whiner line was a about wine. If you are looking for a HOF candidate for gullibility I should be on the ballot.ย 

ย 

https://www.google.com/search?q=bottle+of+wine&oq=bottle+of+wine&aqs=chrome.0.0i131i355i433i512j46i131i433i512j0i512l8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

• Haha (+1) 3

5 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

Wow that has to be the dumbest thing i've read.

It's good to know that they'll actually start playing now.ย 

Honestly I wish someone in the organization had the balls to do this

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

Itโ€™s one of the stupidest sporting quotes Iโ€™ve ever seen, yes

3 hours ago, bunomatic said:

Yeah that makes sense. I figured Dahlin had a major disconnect with reality or something but this checks out.

The reason the quote was bad wasnโ€™t that he was blaming the fans itโ€™s that they apparently will be working hard now โ€œgoing forwardโ€.

Why did it take this longย 

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Itโ€™s one of the stupidest sporting quotes Iโ€™ve ever seen, yes

The reason the quote was bad wasnโ€™t that he was blaming the fans itโ€™s that they apparently will be working hard now โ€œgoing forwardโ€.

Why did it take this longย 

I think they knew the boos from before were for them. <insert many threads worth of back and forth over whether or notย thatย is ok>, but hearing the fans' chanting for DG to get fired, probably struck a different chord. If it (for whatever reason) never occurred to the team that the fans would blame DG for their inability to consistently perform, perhaps his reaction is somewhat justified.

It is still an odd thing if "GD guys, the fans think Donnie is the reason we are so unpredictable, I guess we better just pull our S together ..." is really all it would take.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Taro T said:

It's part of growing up.ย  Sometimes you need to get told your ***** does stink.ย  Hopefully this causes a lightbulb to click with all of them.

They CAN do it.ย  And now they have zero excuses.ย  A fourth line winger, who they brought in an outside replacement to man the fort while he's out injured, is the only player on the roster that isn't healthy enough to go every night.ย  (Still believe that Thompson definitely and possibly Tuch and Samuelsson aren't close to 100% (maybe even Dahlin with the back issues from last year, he hasn't looked like pre-ASG Dahlin yet this year except in spurts), but we're getting close to the portion of the season that nobody IS 100%.)ย  They have the players and the coaches that the GM told us are good enough to be contenders.ย  We need him to be right because they'll need to play like contenders the majority of games the rest of the way to dig out of the hole they dug for themselves.

What you say is valid, but also, how many times has this already happened in the past? This isn't the first season where Dahlin has heard those "crazy" boos. How many wake up calls does he need? How much growing up does he need? That sort of comment might fit for a guy like Benson. Maybe even a Peterka or a Quinn but this isn't the first time for most of this crew.ย 

It sounds hollow to me and sounds similar to white privilege/Karen complaints in society. Sure, the fans are "crazy".ย 

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, OverPowerYou said:

Can we all agree to not get mad when the Sabres lose to the Rangers 4-0 on Saturday? Come on, these are the Sabres weโ€™re talking aboutย 

actually I take back this post. The Sabres are playing the rangers and bruins who are good so they should win easilyย 

Edited by OverPowerYou
  • Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

What you say is valid, but also, how many times has this already happened in the past? This isn't the first season where Dahlin has heard those "crazy" boos. How many wake up calls does he need? How much growing up does he need? That sort of comment might fit for a guy like Benson. Maybe even a Peterka or a Quinn but this isn't the first time for most of this crew.ย 

It sounds hollow to me and sounds similar to white privilege/Karen complaints in society. Sure, the fans are "crazy".ย 

Personally, don't recall being in the building when the team literally was booed off the ice each period that vociferously and the final 5 minutes+ of the game had chants for the head of the coach when it was a coach the players WANT to play for and when the team was supposed to be winning (or at least trying to do so).

It was surreal.ย  And at play stoppages, the audio crew had music blasting to try drown out the chants there at the end.

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

You might want to remember he isnโ€™t American.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.