Would Anyone Care If Any Current Player Was Traded?

CallawaySabres

12 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I am reluctant to trade Tuch and maybe even Cozens because although they have struggled at times I still see flashes. There was an effort response from them after bad losses a few times and I think with the right team around them they can still rise up. Especially Tuch. I really think he tries at times but then gives up as nobody else joins in. 

When he is healthy, Tuch is one of the best forecheckers in the league, certainly the best on the team.  Its not all about 100% full speed ahead either...he can do that, but he seems to know how to position himself and take angles on the forecheck.  To me Tuch gets a pass on any Defensive zone mistakes (honestly he doesn't make as many as most other forwards on this team do anyway) because he is the guy I want on the forecheck all the time.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I don't think anybody "wants" to move him but the topic was would you care if they were moved. Big difference. I personally find it hard to be emotionally attached to anybody on this team any more. Why would you be?

I've always been emotionally attached to players on the team. I've watched Dahlin since he was an 18 year old; last thing I want to see is him get traded and succeed elsewhere.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I've always been emotionally attached to players on the team. I've watched Dahlin since he was an 18 year old; last thing I want to see is him get traded and succeed elsewhere.

I'm happy for you that you can still do that. I've felt that way in the past. It's pretty hard to do now though. Probably because I'm old enough that the memories of long ago haunt me. When you remember how hard one of those guys worked and then you watch a game like that Columbus game, well, you just can't care any more. So, while I want the team to do well again, each crop of "new core" or whatever you call them sours for me quickly. 

1 hour ago, PerreaultForever said:

I'm not trading Benson. You can see the compete on his face. He's one of the only guys with it and he can be a future leader.

I'm not trading Levi. I think he can be a very good NHL goalie. But I am having him play at least one full season in Rochester. 

I'm not trading Peterka because I think he can still be saved.

I am reluctant to trade Tuch and maybe even Cozens because although they have struggled at times I still see flashes. There was an effort response from them after bad losses a few times and I think with the right team around them they can still rise up. Especially Tuch. I really think he tries at times but then gives up as nobody else joins in. 

If I can have them signed for reasonably cheap contracts I likely wouldn't trade Mitts or Krebs because in their proper roles and surrounded by the right guys I think they would be okay. 

Everyone else is on the block for the right price and some of them I'd let go for cheap just to get rid of them. No, I'm not giving Dahlin away. I'm not giving Thompson away. The price would be high, but I'd consider it for the purpose of the cap and changing the make up of the roster entirely. 

So pretty much anybody could be dealt imo. There's no good reason not to. 

Management and leadership is more important than individual trades though and of course, ideally, I'd rather Terry sold it to someone who would hire a hockey guy to run the thing properly.  

Lol your Dahlin bias is showing. 

1 hour ago, thewookie1 said:

The fact anyone wants to move Dahlin is borderline insane.

Yup

3 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

I apparently will die on the hill disagreeing with this.  I'm not sure where they "cozens is good" crowd gets that from, because he skates hard and will hit people?  The reality is, he isn't producing offensively and he is a disaster, one of the worst in the league in his own zone.   I have done the work, on goals allowed where he was on the ice many times, I'd even say most times, he vacates a zone, he leaves a player, he chases the puck into the corner when a D-man is already there and the spot he left is now wide open for an opposing player to step into.   Seriously, I have posted many times after watching replays...and even posted screenshots showing where he is. He did that a lot last year, he is doing it a lot this year (dozens of times) and he just doesn't learn or change.  He is bad, he is AWFUL, he is just like a dog that only knows how to chase the puck and can be easily fooled by any other team into getting out of position.  He has to score 25-35 goals at least just to even out how bad he is defensively.   The proof is there. Watch how he defends in his own zone on goals allowed. I (and others have pointed it out). NHL.com has replays of all the goals this team has allowed from numerous angles.   Unless he changes, No way is he a good overall player, right now I can't see how he isn't anything but bad for this team most of this year.

I must say I disagree with you on Cozens. You are absolutely right about his play in the defensive zone, it is sometimes awful, but when I look att him playing, he can score, he is tough, I like his back check. Many good things. Then I get a bit frustrated over the defensive zone play, the misstakes, they are not that hard to fix, so why isn't somebody helping him to do that??? So he can be worth the money that's paid .... The boy do not seem stupid, he can learn it if they start working on the right things! 

A bit of topic but Rasmus Ristolainen recently said he wish he had Tortorella as a coach when he came to the NHL...

6 hours ago, CallawaySabres said:

If you had asked me a few  months ago, I would have said Dahlin, Thompson, Cousins, Tuch, Power and Levi. Today, I can honestly say that there is not one player, not even Dahlin that I would care about if they left. Dahlin and TNT would make sense to keep (obviously), but depending on what came back, I would leave everything open. This team is so beyond broken and I could not care less what they look like in 5 years, the waiting is over.

I would let the entire NHL know that everybody is available and if we have to trade a 22 year future star for a current 27 year old star, so be it. This is currently the worst team in the NHL (again), and there is no end in sight...I mean, no end in sight at all. Hire a veteran GM, let him make all the trades, have him find a coach, and have a completely new looking team in one year. Would anyone honestly even care at this point?

The players you would want as fair a return for our best players might have NMCs.  Especially if you are looking for vets in their prime.  

Big trades and free agency are harder ways to build thanks to our ugly past.  

The draft and develop approach is not bad plan, but we need better coaching, more diverse skills and talent, and more production from the vets we that already  have. 

36 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

The players you would want as fair a return for our best players might have NMCs.  Especially if you are looking for vets in their prime.  

Big trades and free agency are harder ways to build thanks to our ugly past.  

The draft and develop approach is not bad plan, but we need better coaching, more diverse skills and talent, and more production from the vets we that already  have. 

But that is the problem, this team is built completely wrong and it's going to take moving big names from Buffalo to get the proper players here. I just don't care who leaves as long as it improves our team IMMEDIATELY. I just don't care about players maturing into great players, they already blew that with paying these guys huge contracts before proving themselves. Our GM has zero foresight when it comes to how to develop these people. Levi and Power should NEVER have stepped foot in Buffalo for another year, at least.

Dahlin was ALMOST ruined, and now we see that Cousins was spoiled early as well. KA just could not help himself and had no patience for developing anyone the right way. I can't wait to hear about the 8 year 9 million per for JJP soon!

3 minutes ago, CallawaySabres said:

But that is the problem, this team is built completely wrong and it's going to take moving big names from Buffalo to get the proper players here. I just don't care who leaves as long as it improves our team IMMEDIATELY. I just don't care about players maturing into great players, they already blew that with paying these guys huge contracts before proving themselves. Our GM has zero foresight when it comes to how to develop these people. Levi and Power should NEVER have stepped foot in Buffalo for another year, at least.

Dahlin was ALMOST ruined, and now we see that Cousins was spoiled early as well. KA just could not help himself and had no patience for developing anyone the right way. I can't wait to hear about the 8 year 9 million per for JJP soon!

1st overall picks don’t get left in college for 2 years because they have an easy out to UFA-hood in that case. Levi should of likely been in Rochester but has certainly shown the ability to play in the NHL 

I think we need to get rid of the dead weight on this roster not the talent.... Girgensons, Okposo, Olofsson, E Johnson, Krebs, Jost, Jokiharju, Comrie, UPL and deal them for Eric Robinson clones... Guys who give their all every single game. There is no need for a drastic change yet unless it's like a player like Savoie/Östlund or Rosen to go with another high priced player (Olofsson) for another player. There is talent on the roster, we need a disciplinarian to beat it out of them!

Given what we all perceived as a team potentially approaching 100+ points this year, this is absolutely an unacceptable product.

I don't think it's the players as much as it is the coaching staff and front office. No more "we will learn from tonight's game" speeches. 

Put Gallant behind the bench and allow him to reset the bar. By the end of January you will know if it really is the players or not. 

4 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

The fact anyone wants to move Dahlin is borderline insane.

It’s kind of a silly question because there’s infinite upside to letting any player go. Would you give up Dahlin for  at Makar and MacKinnon at 50% retained plus 4 1sts? Of course you would.

If you genuinely would never give up a player/prospect no matter what, I guess we should start calling you GMKA.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

It’s kind of a silly question because there’s infinite upside to letting any player go. Would you give up Dahlin for  at Makar and MacKinnon at 50% retained plus 4 1sts? Of course you would.

If you genuinely would never give up a player/prospect no matter what, I guess we should start calling you GMKA.

I'd be insane not to take that deal lol; its more in realistic terms

Just now, thewookie1 said:

I'd be insane not to take that deal lol; its more in realistic terms

Yeah it’s just why I hate these questions. It’s hard to know what’s realistic for some players.

I guess I’d look at he roster like this:

Players I would keep because I don’t think the value is there due to the players being undervalued by the league and the return wouldn’t offset the loss:

- JJP

- Mitts

- Quinn

- R Johnson

- Benson

Players I would keep because I don’t think the value is there due to star player status making deals nigh impossible to predict or balance and would rather keep than risk:

- Thompson

- Dahlin

Players I would keep because I admit I probably overvalue:

- Levi

- Cozens

Players I would be willing to trade and who expect would be valued appropriately:

- Tuch

- Joki

Players I suspect the league overvalues:

- Power (former 1OA)

- E Johnson (“veteran” presence)

- Clifton (it worked for Risto!)

Players never going anywhere for anything inbound so take a bag of pucks if you can:

- VO

- Jost

- Krebs

- Comrie

- UPL

No idea how the league values them:

- Skinner

- Greenway

5 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

What's my Dahlin bias?

I wanted to draft him. Didn't you want some flashy forward instead?

I just don't think the world revolves around him. I have no desire to trade him, but for the right (high) price I'd consider it. (very high)

You don't include him in the same breath as Tuch is all. 

No, I didn't want a forward. Dahlin was the best player at the time of the draft. 

Edited by LGR4GM

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

You don't include him in the same breath as Tuch is all. 

No, I didn't want a forward. Dahlin was the best player at the time of the draft. 

That's true I don't. I think Tuch is more invested than Dahlin. I don't think Dahlin should be captain next year. Doesn't mean I want him gone though. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.