Do you care about the Sabres anymore?

LGR4GM

I still care and always will.  That said, as the team lays an egg at least every other game, it's become much easier to use the fast forward button or skip the game altogether.  I am in Arizona and have been looking at getting tickets for Saturday night, but now I'm wondering if it's worth the money.  The Coyotes have also lost 4 in a row.  Maybe the suckitude of both teams will depress ticket prices and I'll pay less than I had planned.  I guess that's looking at it as the glass being half full, although I'd rather pay more and see two great teams duke it out. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

What does embrace the community mean?

Buffalo is a small city… whose residents are bound together by the weather… It is called the City of Good Neighbors for a reason… Folks help each other… Like the Bills, Sabres players do many seen and unseen community and school events and are loved for it… Happens in every city… but different in a small market.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I definitely still care.  My issue is I have to find, what I would consider,  reason for hope to care at a level of keeping up with the team game by game.  

I lost that when Lindy left.  I lost that when the O'Reilly thing happened.  I lost it when the team built with Eichel and Sam was complete and didn't work. Etc....

I'm still following daily but I just don't know what we are right now.  Heck last year it was clearer.  We were a goal scoring team with no defense and no goaltending. 

This year we're no defense, decent goaltending and dramatically lesser offense - and the team is seemingly built.  I'm disappointed basically and I don't see a reasonable answer. The crazy thing is I like almost all the players but dislike them as a team. So I suppose I'm also frustrated.   

I want that reason for hope, as mentioned above. I'm unsure it's there and leaning towards pretty sure it's not.  And that sucks!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

I do care, but feel trapped by Pegula.  There is clearly talent on this team, though some key pieces are missing.  However, both the GM and Coach are way in over their heads, and don't see us getting out of this with the current regime.  What's weird is that Pegula has had some success with the Bills, so it should occur to him that you need to get the right people in place.  The players play without a scheme, have no accountability and no leadership.  And, the coaching staff appears incapable of coaching.  What will it take for Pegula to make a change?

• Agree 1

Welcome to my world.

Anyone who is active on this site still cares. I’m still a fan.  What I am not is, I am not someone who prioritizes watching the games.  I see them when they are convenient to do so, and I stop watching at the first indication that I won’t be entertained.

I said it somewhere else, maybe last week.  During Thanksgiving the talk turned to the Sabres and at one point my son observed, “you are more interested in the off ice stuff than the on ice stuff”.  And he’s 100% correct.  I’m still very much a fan.  I still very much pay attention to what is happening.  But I stopped being interested in the games themselves shortly after Pegula made the decision that entertaining me was not a priority.

And it’s not that the team is bad.  It is that the team is not entertaining.  Why did we all love the Nolan era? The teams mostly sucked.  But they entertained as best they could and we all thought they were the most lovable . And we watched.

***** you Terry Pegula, and ***** you to the tank supporters.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, steveoat87 said:

What's weird is that Pegula has had some success with the Bills, so it should occur to him that you need to get the right people in place. 

Some could make the point that the success with the Bills really is just luck.  They FINALLY lucked into a great QB.  Then they spent to the cap (and beyond by how many restructures) to push it to the limit, and they are without a SB appearance even and barely holding on this year...with arguably a top 5 QB in the league.  You draft high enough and take enough shots and eventually you are likely to get a good QB. After many, many tries and fails (some with Pegula as the owner), the Bills got that, but what are they doing with it?  As has been posted here many times, NO QB/Head coach combo has ever been together this long without winning a SB that will eventually get one.

6 hours ago, Pimlach said:

He should take the profit, thank the league, and go.  No way does he retain majority and not run the show.  

Between the Bills and Kim’s Health, He has already taken a step back. 

He would still be involved in some decisions such as major trades and retains a large financial stake in the franchise with more NHL Expansion on the Horizon 

3 hours ago, Marvin said:

Assuming that his daughters still feel the same way, I think that they don't want him too.  They wanted the Cup wins to be like family heirlooms.

Aside 1: Are there talks about Granato getting better assistants?  PP coach would be a great place to start.

Aside 2: I personally can tell what Granato is trying to do on defence, which should eventually work.  Why is it trouble in the NHL club and a massive disaster often in Rochester?  I know youth is part of it, but it should not be this bad.  I find it hard to believe that it is so common for players to not be aware of their defencive positioning, assignments, and reads.  The players are often so clueless that it is as if this is the first time that the players had to cover their own zone.

The Kids have non existent at Key Bank Center for awhile. Matt Pegula used to be present at draft meetings and represented the family at the draft in Montreal last year. But was nowhere to be seen this year. 

Laura Pegula represented the Bills at the owners meetings earlier this season and Kelly is around the team quite a bit. 

The Sabres are not a priority for them 

22 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Between the Bills and Kim’s Health, He has already taken a step back. 

He would still be involved in some decisions such as major trades and retains a large financial stake in the franchise with more NHL Expansion on the Horizon 

The Kids have non existent at Key Bank Center for awhile. Matt Pegula used to be present at draft meetings and represented the family at the draft in Montreal last year. But was nowhere to be seen this year. 

Laura Pegula represented the Bills at the owners meetings earlier this season and Kelly is around the team quite a bit. 

The Sabres are not a priority for them 

Too bad.  I liked their attitude.  I imagine that the continual floundering would be harder to stomach as a fan and owner.

8 hours ago, CallawaySabres said:

It’s all Bills for me. I’ll check back if they ever make it to 8th, but that’s not happening this season.

I like watching football, but I love hockey.

It's funny cause I never played proper hockey (street doesn't really count), but I did play football.

8 hours ago, CallawaySabres said:

It’s all Bills for me. I’ll check back if they ever make it to 8th, but that’s not happening this season.

I like watching football, but I love hockey.

It's funny cause I never played proper hockey (street doesn't really count), but I did play football.

4 hours ago, Marvin said:

Assuming that his daughters still feel the same way, I think that they don't want him too.  They wanted the Cup wins to be like family heirlooms.

Aside 1: Are there talks about Granato getting better assistants?  PP coach would be a great place to start.

Aside 2: I personally can tell what Granato is trying to do on defence, which should eventually work.  Why is it trouble in the NHL club and a massive disaster often in Rochester?  I know youth is part of it, but it should not be this bad.  I find it hard to believe that it is so common for players to not be aware of their defencive positioning, assignments, and reads.  The players are often so clueless that it is as if this is the first time that the players had to cover their own zone.

I think one of the problems with the youngsters, and others have said similar things - most of them were high draft picks, which means they got by in their respective junior leagues on their abundance of skill. They were quick enough to get to the play before it ended up in the net because they were that much better than most of the competition.

Add in the very large point of contention that most of the Sabres youngins "didn't come up the right way through the AHL" - which I generally think is hooey ... but might pause to consider that being in a league with more comparable skills sets might force them to watch a Youtube video or two on where the forwards should be in the O-zone.

As down as I have been about this team, I was still following and watching and going to the games. It’s funny that this topic came up today because today’s the first time I have officially conceded that they will not be making the playoffs this year.

I concede and the thing that sucks is that I’m already over it, again….i guess my daughter can fly back from college to see her first playoff game if they make in the next 4 years. 

Edited by CallawaySabres
  • Like (+1) 1

I found myself searching music on youtube the other day and the Googoo Dolls came up. The next video was better days. It reminded me of when we did have better days. Now, my immediate thought when I think of the Sabres is depression and sadness usually followed by a heavy sigh. I am 32 and about to have my 3rd child. The last time the Sabres won a playoff series I was 16. It's hard to care anymore but I still do... Not as much though... I used to be able to find a fast fun and gritty team to watch during the playoff run when the Sabres were eliminated and that also has fizzled out. It's so discouraging. I'll still be here, in some way shape or form... Just a shell of myself

My first ever game I went to was the Sabres Senators brawl. Feburary 22nd, 2007. I was just a casual fan then but that game turned me into a hockey fanatic. That's where my hatred of the Ottawa Senators came in (avatar/profile picture)... The next 5 years I went to several games a year. I spent what little income i had in my early 20's to take family and friends to games  just to introduce them to the Sabres because I was so passionate.

Now i don't care enough to hate anybody except the Bruins... It's just a sad day.

Edited by OverPowerYou
  • Like (+1) 3

I still watch every minute of every game. More often than not it's while eating my waffle the next morning, but that's because I spend most evenings with the kids and grandkids. My interest in the team has not wavered at all. Since I retired I follow them more than I did pre-retirement when the kids were in the house because I have more free time and less obligations. I also don't get worked up like I did in my 20's. Family, career and a mortgage puts sports in perspective. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.