Sabres are loaning Jiri Kulich to Czechia for the WJC

Brawndo

42 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

He probably asked to go. He seems like the heart and soul of that Czech team. Good for him and good for us if Savoie , Östlund, Wahlberg and Kulich are all playing in the tournament

Ratzlaff has a shot at one of the 3 goalie slots for Canada. Leinonen may be in the same situation for Finland. Not sure if Panocha will play for Germany. 
Strbak will be with Slovakia as well.

Edited by French Collection

12 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Kulich will really help the Czech squad. He should be a major force in this tournament.

It will also help him.  Look what playing in the Worlds did for JJP's confidence and game.  I hope we send everyone the teams want even Benson (yes I know that probably not happening).  

33 minutes ago, PortuCool said:

Good. Let him have the experience and pleasure of WJC play. He’s got nothing to prove to the Sabres org., and deserves to get acclaimed around the world. 

What an odd comment

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

Are we surprised?

Nope. 

2 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

shocked philip j fry GIF

• Agree 1

This is a classy move by the organization as well. The goodwill gained from this will pay off.

The kid has been away from home for two seasons and committed to his development in the organization. Going to Europe during the holidays will be good for him to re-energize. I’m sure his family will travel to Sweden to be with him.

Doesn’t hurt his development to play with his peers once again and be one of the best players there.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

Goalies are voodoo but the Leinonen pick is really becoming an eyesore.

I revisited that draft and see that Leinonen and Brennan were often the top two goalies available in mock drafts. A high second round pick is definitely a risk as it was not viewed as a strong goalie class. Brennan is playing in the ECHL.

Looking at all of the goalies selected in that draft, DeVincentiis is currently the best imo. He will probably be 1or 2 for Team Canada at the WJ. He was OHL goalie of the year last season. He was picked in the 7th round by Winnipeg.

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

It will also help him.  Look what playing in the Worlds did for JJP's confidence and game.  I hope we send everyone the teams want even Benson (yes I know that probably not happening).  

JJ made his mark in the tougher mens World Championship, but I appreciate the idea none the less. 

As I recall Kulich was devastated by the way the czech lost in overtime last year to Canada. Going back for another run at it. Interesting move by the Sabres letting him do it. I would bet a lot of teams would not as if nothing else he is a depth forward if there is a rash of injuries. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, French Collection said:

You didn’t like this pick from the get go, neither did I. They could have gotten him or any goalie much later in that draft.

There is still time for him to develop into something but his game seems to be going the wrong way.

Oh I hate this pick. Drafting a goalie in a bad goalie draft is like drafting a qb in a bad qb draft. You are doing something dumb, that you know is dumb simply to do it. 

The smart thing to do would have been to draft a goalie in 2021 with either Cossa or Wallstedt both available at the Rosen pick and then in 2022 you take someone else at 41 such as Noah Warren, Luca Del Belluz, Christian Kyrou, Tristen Luneau, or even Matyas Sapovaliv

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Oh I hate this pick. Drafting a goalie in a bad goalie draft is like drafting a qb in a bad qb draft. You are doing something dumb, that you know is dumb simply to do it. 

The smart thing to do would have been to draft a goalie in 2021 with either Cossa or Wallstedt both available at the Rosen pick and then in 2022 you take someone else at 41 such as Noah Warren, Luca Del Belluz, Christian Kyrou, Tristen Luneau, or even Matyas Sapovaliv

When we made that trade with Philly(?) I thought for sure it was for one of those goalies.  I really wanted Wallstedt.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Goalies are voodoo but the Leinonen pick is really becoming an eyesore.

In order for something to be an eyesore, people’s eyes have to see it.  No one cares about the NHL draft outside of the first half of the first round.  With good reason, barely any of those kids make it.  It’s all a crap shoot.  I can’t shoulda, coulda, woulda every draft pick.  

• Brawndo changed the title to Sabres are loaning Jiri Kulich to Czechia for the WJC
9 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I think it would be a big help if Benson plays. Scoring a goal or 2 might help get him going. I know he looks talented, but he can't score yet. Let's get him on a top line for a couple weeks and see what he can accomplish.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.