Levi sent to Roch

pi2000

26 minutes ago, Taro T said:

The SABRES need wins.

NONE of the 3 has shown an ability to play well enough for the Sabres night in and night out.  Getting repetitive, but give UPL 1/2 of the starts and give Levi the bulk of the others.  Once Comrie is actually 100%, start giving him spot starts here and there.  (And, there's no way IMHO that Comrie is 100%.  He wasn't 100% for about 6 weeks after he was finally back playing last year.  He's looked like doo doo since coming back.)  

Revisit the 3 headed monster once Comrie is ready to actually contribute to team success once again.

Being on pace to get ~30-40 NHL games is not going to set Levi back.

Not at the expense of Levi’s proper development. 

Seth Appert said it best when he was sent down. Levi needs practice reps, which He will get a lot more of in Rochester and he needs to play at least two games per week which he can do as the Amerks number one for a minimum 35-40 games plus a Calder Cup Run. Let’s see if He can dominate the AHL for awhile and give the Sabres a few spot starts as needed. 

His numbers both counting stats as well as fancy stats are not good enough for the NHL.  While UPL and Comrie’s aren’t either, neither is as critical to the Sabres Future as Levi. 

They have a lot of ground to make up for the playoffs, it’s a hole they dug for themselves that was largely contributed to be inaction this offseason

Adams made his bed with the goalie situation and the team has to deal with the consequences. 
Not putting Levi into the best developmental pathway should not be one of them 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Seth Appert said it best when he was sent down. Levi needs practice reps, which He will get a lot more of in Rochester and he needs to play at least two games per week which he can do as the Amerks number one for a minimum 35-40 games plus a Calder Cup Run. Let’s see if He can dominate the AHL for awhile and give the Sabres a few spot starts as needed. 

His numbers both counting stats as well as fancy stats are not good enough for the NHL.  While UPL and Comrie’s aren’t either, neither is as critical to the Sabres Future as Levi. 

They have a lot of ground to make up for the playoffs, it’s a hole they dug for themselves that was largely contributed to be inaction this offseason

Adams made his bed with the goalie situation and the team has to deal with the consequences. 

Agree with all this,

..maybe the last part: he needs to prove to be a top 2 option between him and the other guys. Being better than Comrie isn’t a huge hurdle, but you are right he hasn’t thus far. But do you give him a chance to, now? Or does he not get a shot until he does those 40 ahl games? Maybe rather than “spot starts” I’d give him “spot shots”.  

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Taro T said:

Honestly don't see whether he plays in Buffalo or Ra-cha-cha materially effecting his trajectory.

And, this team NEEDS to make the playoffs.  Levi helps them advance towards that goal.

More practice reps.

More live reps.

Ramping into an NHL schedule rather than drowning in it.  

Lesser game than the NHL so he can actually improve on some things rather than white knuckle it with varying success. 

And one thing I find important in absolutely anything anybody does anywhere is more opportunity to stack wins. Not necessarily wins in the win column. But wins day in and day out in super small parts of his game, lifestyle, prep, body maintenance, etc. 

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Can Comrie get sent down instead? Can Kev get a bag of pucks in a trade?

Comrie would need to clear waivers.  If someone took him I'd be surprised.  He come to the Sabres with the promise of being ready to take the next step into a starter's role and he just hasn't been healthy for long enough stretches, and for every good game it seems like he has multiple clunkers.

In Levi's postgame interview he sounded to my ears like someone who doesn't expect to be sent back down to Rochester.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

He always gets the dumbest bounce goals against. Deserved a shutout 

I can't agree even though I understand the sentiment. Levi was bad this year and has only had a few good games. Thankfully last night was one. 

50 minutes ago, inkman said:

Anyone else watch the post game?  Devon, who I will give the benefit of the doubt, definitely talked about Rochester as if he wasn’t going back.  Probably not intended but…

Good. Maybe he’s aware that he controls his destiny and he needs to be playing better. Last night was a start. 

Levi gives up one goal against one of, or maybe the best team in hockey.  He clearly has the skills and pedigree of being a great goalie.  Just needs to be confident and consistent.  I mean even guys like Vasilevskiy give up 4-5 goals on occasion.  They are lucky enough sometimes to have their team score 5-6 in those games.  Ville Husso gave up 6 last night.   Buffalo has lost the ability this season to win shootouts, in part because their PP sucks.  

2 hours ago, inkman said:

Anyone else watch the post game?  Devon, who I will give the benefit of the doubt, definitely talked about Rochester as if he wasn’t going back.  Probably not intended but…

Yep, I saw the same thing.

7 hours ago, Doohickie said:

In Levi's postgame interview he sounded to my ears like someone who doesn't expect to be sent back down to Rochester.

9 hours ago, Brawndo said:

This will continue to be a debate. 

Levi was very sharp last night and if he brings that every night we will move up in the standings.  What does it take to stay that sharp?  The right amount of work is one thing.  He needs practice reps and more games and he also needs support from the team.  

Can he get that in Buffalo?   He didn’t get any of that in his first stint.  Three goalies and an inconsistent and mostly porous defensive structure are not conducive to developing a rookie goalie.  

I agree with you in principle, but can UPL and Comrie hold the fort and keep Levi in Rochester?   There is pressure to win.   Doing the “right” thing is going to be difficult.  

Maybe Levi does a few stints in Rochester and comes up for home games and b2b’s for awhile.  Playing down there helped him  

2 hours ago, inkman said:

The kid has always been laser focused on playing with the big club. But part of the HC/GM's job is navigating and steering them in the right direction. A lot of elite athletics is being super independent and totally in control of your own progression. But the HC/GM needs to provide bumpers, direction, and even road blocks at time. 

He got the same vibe, that "OK I did my time. Look how much I learned. I am back now". But  2-3 live game reps don't make any changes permanent in any elite sport. I get he is vouching for himself to be on the team he would prefer to be on. But if he really thinks a week has made a permanent improvement and he's picked up anywhere near everything he can in the AHL, to me that means he needs way more time in the minors to get his head right. That isn't how anything works in athletics.

I think Levi could be a totally different goaltender with another 20-25 games in the AHL and 5-10 more games in spot duty in the NHL. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

The kid has always been laser focused on playing with the big club. But part of the HC/GM's job is navigating and steering them in the right direction. A lot of elite athletics is being super independent and totally in control of your own progression. But the HC/GM needs to provide bumpers, direction, and even road blocks at time. 

He got the same vibe, that "OK I did my time. Look how much I learned. I am back now". But  2-3 live game reps don't make any changes permanent in any elite sport. I get he is vouching for himself to be on the team he would prefer to be on. But if he really thinks a week has made a permanent improvement and he's picked up anywhere near everything he can in the AHL, to me that means he needs way more time in the minors to get his head right. That isn't how anything works in athletics.

I think Levi could be a totally different goaltender with another 20-25 games in the AHL and 5-10 more games in spot duty in the NHL. 

Good points.

My only concern with the goalie situation is having to play Comrie. I don’t trust him anymore. He has good games but too many clunkers. Maybe Levi can be parachuted in on B2B games or tag along on western road trips.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, French Collection said:

Good points.

My only concern with the goalie situation is having to play Comrie. I don’t trust him anymore. He has good games but too many clunkers. Maybe Levi can be parachuted in on B2B games or tag along on western road trips.

Comrie is a problem. I totally agree. But when it comes to Levi and the goaltending situation Long term, I think it is best for the FO to lie in the bed they made. Even if it means keeping the better player in the AHL. 

15 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

If the Sabres can keep playing a complete game like last night, UPL and Levi could be the goalie tandem the rest of the way, barring injuries. I don't see the point of playing Comrie over Levi, or bringing in another middling vet goalie.

Comrie only plays if UPL gets hurt during a game. 
If he gets a game and blows it, he’s done, imo.

Levi can go back and forth for practice time and some games in Rochester when UPL returns to form.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

Levi can go back and forth for practice time and some games in Rochester when UPL returns to form.

Levi had a good game last night, but I'm still thining "UPL is the starter" for the time being.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

That’s where I am right now. Keep Comrie as the backup. It’s important for Levi to play regularly and he can be recalled for a spot start when needed. Obviously road trips and roster limits (injury issues) may complicate this, but they can run with it the majority of the time. 

I would very gladly never watch Comrie play again, but I do want Levi getting more starts than he would up here with UPL taking over 50% of the playing time. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Crusader1969 said:

Adams next job is to improve the backup 

Comrie has had plenty of opportunities, he ain't it 

Jake Allen please 

I would sleep better knowing Allen was an option. I doubt KA can get him for a conditional 7th, LOL.

They have just committed to Montembeault for 3 years. Primeau is part of the future.

I imagine Montreal has had offers, just nothing good enough yet. Their three headed goalie system is probably causing some grief. Laval is minutes away, that has probably helped.

Just now, French Collection said:

I would sleep better knowing Allen was an option. I doubt KA can get him for a conditional 7th, LOL.

They have just committed to Montembeault for 3 years. Primeau is part of the future.

I imagine Montreal has had offers, just nothing good enough yet. Their three headed goalie system is probably causing some grief. Laval is minutes away, that has probably helped.

Adams needs to know their asking price.  Unless it's completely unreasonable, pay the price.