The 6K discussion thread: Can he lead us to the playoffs? Keeping the crease warm for Levi?

Hank

1 hour ago, Hank said:

Yes, 6K is on quite the run. I'm happy for him, hopefully he can keep it going. 

Remember, it’s a marathon, not a sprint. We’re only about half way through the season - we’ll see where we are after the full 12k 

2 hours ago, Scottysabres said:

UPL is capturing the moment. Levi, while good, is still honing his skill. UPL is now the undisputed #1 goalie in Buffalo imho.

And Levi was just sent back to Rochester. It’s the Uppie show. 

38 goalies have played 20 games this year. He ranks 14th among them in GAA and 14th in SV%

To my eyes, he whiffed in the 5-1 loss Dec. 13 to Colorado, the Nov. 11 6-4 loss in St. Louis and the Nov. 3 5-1 loss to Philly.

All 3 of those games the team got off to terrible starts and he didn't have their backs.

His other 17 starts he's been good enough to give his team a chance to win.

To me, his play this year qualifies as the "good enough" goaltending most of us did not think he was capable of and were hoping Adams would step outside the organization this summer to acquire.

Really interested to see if those trends continue this morning.

This is the kind of moment in the season where UPL historically would serve up a dud.

I wouldn't call it a defining moment, more of a signpost, but significant nonetheless in his bid to shed that 'inconsistent' label.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I think it may come to pass... perhaps before they go out on the road.  Let's see how Upie looks against the Bolts before anointing him.  I'm a big Levi fan, but I'm also thrilled with Upie's emergence at #1 and if this is the not a false positive I think it makes sense to give Levi more work in Rochester.

Well damn...that was prophetic. Levi was reassigned to Amerks this morning hahaha

Edited by Big Guava
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

38 goalies have played 20 games this year. He ranks 14th among them in GAA and 14th in SV%

To my eyes, he whiffed in the 5-1 loss Dec. 13 to Colorado, the Nov. 11 6-4 loss in St. Louis and the Nov. 3 5-1 loss to Philly.

All 3 of those games the team got off to terrible starts and he didn't have their backs.

His other 17 starts he's been good enough to give his team a chance to win.

To me, his play this year qualifies as the "good enough" goaltending most of us did not think he was capable of and were hoping Adams would step outside the organization this summer to acquire.

Really interested to see if those trends continue this morning.

This is the kind of moment in the season where UPL historically would serve up a dud.

I wouldn't call it a defining moment, more of a signpost, but significant nonetheless in his bid to shed that 'inconsistent' label.

His stats aren't other worldly, but he's been significantly better. 

The Sabres make the playoffs last year  if UPL played to his current stats. 

On 12/1/2023 at 7:58 PM, mjd1001 said:

Who started this 6K garbage Anyway? I've been avoiding this thread most of the time because not only does he already have a nickname... UPL... 6k is just dumb.

Why so cranky about a nickname?

6K may be challenging to those who struggle with counting or recognizing letters of the alphabet. But it's bespoke to him and unique in a way that reflects his unusual name. IMHO it's also far more clever and interesting than just his initials,  or the uninspired "Upie" that I hear his teammates sometimes use. 

Whichever one you prefer though, using words like "garbage" and "dumb"? About something as trivial as professional athlete's nickname? Makes it sound like you should consider switching to decaf. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, bunomatic said:

If you take 6Ks away from his name he becomes Uopea luuonen which is brick wall in finnish I kid you not. Well its a good story but has no basis in reality but henseforth he shall be known as Uopea Luuonen !

Huh, Google translate has the translation as "A beautiful bone". Anyone know if that's the case? 😉

(I really kid you not: https://translate.google.com/?sl=fi&tl=en&text=Uopea luuonen&op=translate; but it's one of those where you translate the English and the Finnish comes out completely different, so 🤷‍♂️)

Edited by MattPie
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Norcal said:

Whatever you call him, I call him Upie and UPL, he's really coming into his own this season. 

I think he should keep Levi in Rochester for next season if Adams has any balls. 

He’ll have to determine if Levi is ready for a full-time backup role at the NHL level. Considering his misfires in managing the position during the first half of this season, I’d imagine he’d be extra careful in not getting into a “shame on me” situation next season. If it’s Levi, great. If not, we’ll need a backup from the outside 

Edited by Thorny
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, MattPie said:

Huh, Google translate has the translation as "A beautiful bone". Anyone know if that's the case? 😉

(I really kid you not: https://translate.google.com/?sl=fi&tl=en&text=Uopea luuonen&op=translate; but it's one of those where you translate the English and the Finnish comes out completely different, so 🤷‍♂️)

Watching 6K gives me a beautiful bone 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

UPL has become a solid NHL goalie this season (numbers-wise). He's stopped leaning forward and undoing his size advantage, he's overcommitting less side-to-side, and he's been better at reading the play and his rebound control (the Stars' GWG notwithstanding). The next question becomes... how long are folks willing to extend him. Is GM Sheevyn willing to give him a starter salary, or just go Ullmark walking again?

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

UPL has become a solid NHL goalie this season (numbers-wise). He's stopped leaning forward and undoing his size advantage, he's overcommitting less side-to-side, and he's been better at reading the play and his rebound control (the Stars' GWG notwithstanding). The next question becomes... how long are folks willing to extend him. Is GM Sheevyn willing to give him a starter salary, or just go Ullmark walking again?

There's a major difference here with him being restricted after the year.  There's no 5 years or I walk scenario in play right now, or whatever Ullmark got.  I mean, I guess he could try that with going to Europe, but I don't know how likely that would be.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.