GDT: Sabres @ Rangers - November 27, 2023 - 7:00PM, MSG-B/ESPN+📺 WGR📻

Doohickie

31 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I thought Dahlin had a great (regular) game last night. He is so smooth and solid 

He protects the puck so well with his big body below the goal line. 
Sometimes it’s just a subtle play but it allows him to start the breakout.

He has that ability to break ankles in the offensive zone too, he’s still improving, which is scary good.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Awesome.

Let the record reflect that UPL outplayed Shesterkin tonight.

I haven’t like Mitts’ game for a couple of weeks now, but he stepped up tonight in minutes 55-59.

Cozens is working hard but still squeezing the stick and making too many cute passes.

JJP and Benson are the real deal.

Tuch is leading the way right now.

All the dmen played pretty well.

Good for DM for getting them to turn the page and come out with some heart and determination tonight.

Go Sabres.

True, UPL made the highlight reel save, but Shesterkin was the only reason the Sabres didn't have 8 or 9 tonight...he made some pretty incredible saves in his own right from point blank areas.

12 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Benson I thought was very tenacious and had a great game. 

That one timer he had I thought was a sure goal...still don't know how Shesterkin got over to make that save

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I thought Dahlin had a great (regular) game last night. He is so smooth and solid 

He made a play at the point where passed the puck to himself around a guy, I think off the boards,… wtf?! Pretty amazing. As soon as my 48 hour blackout is over, I want to rewatch that to see if I am remembering that correctly.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, French Collection said:

He protects the puck so well with his big body below the goal line. 
Sometimes it’s just a subtle play but it allows him to start the breakout.

He has that ability to break ankles in the offensive zone too, he’s still improving, which is scary good.

Yep. Vesey was fitted for casts on both legs after the game last night. 

3 minutes ago, SwampD said:

He made a play at the point where passed the puck to himself around a guy, I think off the boards,… wtf?! Pretty amazing. As soon as my 48 hour blackout is over, I want to rewatch that to see if I am remembering that correctly.

Yeah, he did that when the Sabres were skating left to right, just inside the blue line at the near point.  I believe Ray mentioned it at the time.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

I realized last night during his postgame interview that Alex Tuch is quite the odd bird. Thus, I like him.

Also JJP is just a very cool and pleasant bro 

So you are starting to like this team?  

Edited by Pimlach

1 hour ago, SwampD said:

All things considered your typing is pretty solid. 

• Haha (+1) 2

It occurred to me that...

I started this thread because I didn't think the Sabres had much of a chance in this game.  I started another thread earlier this season and the Sabres lost.  I figured this game would also be a loss, so I started this thread to "take one for the team" so someone else didn't get disappointed, starting a GDT for a lost game.

But they won.  So, just like the Sabres I'm at .500 points percentage.

7 minutes ago, shrader said:

I can't wait for the next game against the rags so I can see what kind of head scratching penalty is called against Benson.  He's young and can only improve.  He can one up this one.

That was the definition of a makeup call if there ever was one. The refs were clearly intimidated by the chants of “a$$hole, a$$hole, a$$hole” after the questionable call for interference by Pitlick on Peterka. Seems refs in several sports have become more of a joke than ever. 

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, shrader said:

I can't wait for the next game against the rags so I can see what kind of head scratching penalty is called against Benson.  He's young and can only improve.  He can one up this one.

It wasn't much but it was a penalty. Not a smart play by Benson.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

I think it’s true in general. And it’s not related to his play per se. (Up and down play). When I’ve expressed hope for UPL based on the fact that he’s still young and inexperienced and that it sometimes takes a while for goaltenders to develop, the response is to cite all sorts of past statistical metrics to pre determine not just that he’s a bad goalie but that he can never possibly become a good one

I didn’t see that all too often with UPL.

For my part, I’ve utilized that argument with Comrie, full disclosure. Failure to establish a foothold after a decade makes it unlikely he ever will. UPL always had time.

It doesn’t mean betting on him to be good this year wasn’t a risky bet: proof is in the pudding how that stuff works. Of the 3 goalies Adams bet on to start the year, only 1/3 has been good 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I didn’t see that all too often with UPL.

For my part, I’ve utilized that argument with Comrie, full disclosure. Failure to establish a foothold after a decade makes it unlikely he ever will. UPL always had time.

It doesn’t mean betting on him to be good this year wasn’t a risky bet: proof is in the pudding how that stuff works. Of the 3 goalies Adams bet on to start the year, only 1/3 has been good 

Since KA didn’t address the goalie issues, going with the three headed monster until one emerges as the alpha was his plan.

He’s lucky UPL has found this level. He probably thought it would be Levi.

I was hoping for more from Comrie. Between his injuries and his inconsistent play, he has made himself non extendable.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I kind of remember Ullmark turning the corner... at first no one hear wanted to believe it but by the time he left he was very impressive.  Are we seeing another goalie take that same developmental step?

I guess it wouldn't be surprising...he is still only 24 which is young for a goalie in many ways...still a few years off from his prime even.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

It wasn't much but it was a penalty. Not a smart play by Benson.

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

That was the definition of a makeup call if there ever was one. The refs were clearly intimidated by the chants of “a$$hole, a$$hole, a$$hole” after the questionable call for interference by Pitlick on Peterka. Seems refs in several sports have become more of a joke than ever. 

1 hour ago, shrader said:

It's worth noting. Though most likely different refs remember it was Benson on the receiving end of several cross checks from Trouba in the home opener as he lay on the ice. No call of course, "know your place" says the NHL.

1 minute ago, Getpucksdeep said:

It's worth noting. Though most likely different refs remember it was Benson on the receiving end of several cross checks from Trouba in the home opener as he lay on the ice. No call of course, "know your place" says the NHL.

Yep the league is hysterically archaic 

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Since KA didn’t address the goalie issues, going with the three headed monster until one emerges as the alpha was his plan.

He’s lucky UPL has found this level. He probably thought it would be Levi.

I was hoping for more from Comrie. Between his injuries and his inconsistent play, he has made himself non extendable.

A plan that paid little consideration to timing (below average GT play in the interim from 2/3, costing standings points), and as mentioned in the offseason, Swayman’s play in Boston last year was nearly as important as Ullmark’s: in today’s NHL it’s really about having 2 guys. *Had* we acquired a competent vet back up in the last couple years, combined with UPL we’d presumably have 2 solid options right now and Levi would be developing in Rochester

You do touch on an interesting point that KA probably expected it to be Levi: our LT confidence in Levi shouldn’t be shaken, so b/c UPL was a somewhat unexpected development, we could find ourselves with 2 guys. Just hard to say IF, and specifically WHEN 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.