So now what?

Zamboni

7 minutes ago, Quint said:

Anyone know what's going on with Greenway? I read on tsn that he's on IR -- and Personal Reasons is the reason. What "personal reasons?" 🤢 How long is he supposed to be out?

Personal reasons could be nearly anything such as a very ill parent, spouse, or child.  Maybe his wife is having a baby? It could be a mental health issue or a legal matter off the ice.  Who knows.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Just curious.

Last year, the Sabres were unusually lucky with injuries to the forwards.  If they had been merely above average in injury luck (say, 12th), how many fewer points might they have had.

I would be much obliged if someone could do the analysis.  Honestly, going into this season, I would like to think that management planned for the current level of injuries.

8 hours ago, Marvin said:

As an overall change, GMKA needs to recognise that he has drafted too many of the same type of player and that throwing said players to the wolves can be a painful process.  He also needs to recognize that most of the youngsters are not NHL-ready.  Most importantly, he needs to make hockey moves with his prize picks to acquire players with different skill sets and temperaments.  Whatever their flaws be, Stillman, Clifton, Greenway, and E. Johnson were moves in the right direction, but he needs to make more changes with the NHL roster and with the development pipeline to balance them out.

Honestly believe he does realize that.  And he knows that he'll have to trade a lot of tht prospects (and a few of the rostered players) but that he thinks he has enough to get there this year so he can put off some hard decisions for 1 more off-season.  

Frustrating, but IF he's right, and this team is good enough to do some damage, he might be sitting in the best seat of all 32 GMs.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Quint said:

Anyone know what's going on with Greenway? I read on tsn that he's on IR -- and Personal Reasons is the reason. What "personal reasons?" 🤢 How long is he supposed to be out?

It’s personal. In other words, private. Until Greenway decides to share. IF he decides to share.

19 hours ago, Ducky said:

Two cents worth from an unbiased observer...I've been a Jets fan since the WHA so I know what it is like when your (talented) team isn't performing.

The GM needs to get a starting goalie and send Levi down to the minors where he can work on his game and eventually start stealing games before he is brought up again. He needs to go down now. Comrie is the highest paid goalie at 1.8m so not sure what was expected by the GM at that position?

Adams should get Saros or Gibson or Askorov or someone comparable immediately ... there is still 3/4 of the season to go. Gibson would be my first choice espeially when you look at when his current deal ends. If you make the playoffs, who knows how far you go? Give them a slight over pay. You guys have some young talented players in the organization, give them something they can't refuse and get a bona fide starter while Levi gets ready for the bigs. Comrie/UPL are fine as a backup for now...nothing more. One of them goes back to the Ducks in a Gibson trade? 

Not addressing the goalie situation in the off season and hoping Levi (or UPL/Comrie) would immediately become a starter was asinine and worthy of a firing in my opinion. I can't stress enough that Levi needs to be sent down and work on his game and get more used to the pro game.

You need a good RHD too but so do a LOT of teams. I think D is the hardest position to improve on regarding trades. There's more than enough to fill the left side but a good RHD should be 2nd on the to do list right after a starter.

The bottom six needs to be upgraded (with vets) and when the newbies start pushing their way onto the team in the future, some of the lesser talent will be in the press box/traded/moved down the lineup and that builds depth. You've got to be able to handle an injury or two and rely on your depth. There is capspace so this summer the bottom six needs to be fixed.

I'd leave the coaching staff up to the new GM because I don't think the current one is doing his job well enough. With a starting goalie, this team makes the playoffs and they need to start making the playoffs.

Good luck for the rest of the season guys!

Excellent post.  Spot on.  

Its amazing how many Sabres fans know this, and hockey fans around the league like yourself know this, and hockey Television crews all over the US and Canada know this - but our GM does not.   Worse, the owner is ok with the it. 

• Like (+1) 4

3 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Now what? Corey Perry is available. His veteran presence will help this young squad. Just keep him away from Levi's mom.

The Sabres aren’t going to add anyone in-season before the trade deadline, and never will, as long as Adams is the GM

Not saying this to make a point about Adams or anything, it’s just true.

He’s not proactive. He’s barely active.

He’s “in discussions” with a fair few players, and social media is sure to make sure the fans know this, but that knowledge is the endgame, in itself 

The Kevyn Adams Buffalo Sabres are very much, distinctly that. The Kevyn Adams Buffalo Sabres. They are their own distinct version of this franchise and have hardline rules notably different from before 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

The Sabres aren’t going to add anyone in-season before the trade deadline, and never will, as long as Adams is the GM

He’s “in discussions” with a fair few players, and social media is sure to make sure the fans know this, but that knowledge is the endgame, in itself 

The Kevyn Adams Buffalo Sabres are very much, distinctly that. The Kevyn Adams Buffalo Sabres. They are their own distinct version of this franchise and have hardline rules notably different from before 

Greenway and Jost were added in season last year. The bolded is a bold lie. What are you doing?  I don’t think he'll add anyone this year either, but what are you doing?

5 minutes ago, Hank said:

Greenway and Jost were added in season last year. The bolded is a bold lie. What are you doing?  I don’t think he'll add anyone this year either, but what are you doing?

I thought they were deadline additions 

If not I stand corrected 

• Like (+1) 1

I don't think they'll add anyone either. But......it should be clear players like Mitts and Peterka are coming of age now. Those 2 specifically stand out as real progress. Throw in Tuch, Thompson and Skinner, and that's 5 of your top 6 forwards. See what Quinn can do when he returns, or Cozens gets back on track. Then you have Benson making a surprise showing of game play maturity, gorging his way on to the roster.Looking at that 3rd scoring line. 

Kulich and Rosen pushing. Greenway, Jost, Krebs, Girgs and Okposo rounding out the logjam in no particular order.

I didn't include Olofsson because I truly believe Adams has to move him at the deadline, considering all the skill the Sabres have up and down the organizations chart.

If there is a move to make, it's superstar forward to Buffalo or a true beefy 3/4 d man. Just my view is all.

8 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I thought they were deadline additions 

If not I stand corrected 

Ya, Jost was a waiver claim. So I was wrong about him.

But I still maintain we won’t see a trade in season before the deadline. Likely ever. You have to think, there’s few trades league wide in general during that time. Not until deadline usually. You DO see some moves and you CAN make them but their rarity illustrates even the more neutral GMs (patient vs aggressive wise) aren’t generally making trades during the time period. And I think it’s fair to say our GM leans a little bit away from neutral on that scale 

Edited by Thorny

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

Ya, Jost was a waiver claim. So I was wrong about him.

But I still maintain we won’t see a trade in season before the deadline. Likely ever. You have to think, there’s few trades league wide in general during that time. Not until deadline usually. You DO see some moves and you CAN make them but their rarity illustrates even the more neutral GMs (patient vs aggressive wise) aren’t generally making trades during the time period. And I think it’s fair to say our GM leans a little bit away from neutral on that scale 

I agree with you about this year. I'm hesitant to attach the word "ever" to it though. I think he'll add the the team is ready to compete for the cup, and I think we're still a couple years away from that. 

3 minutes ago, Hank said:

I agree with you about this year. I'm hesitant to attach the word "ever" to it though. I think he'll add the the team is ready to compete for the cup, and I think we're still a couple years away from that. 

I think he’ll add by trade but rarely, and only during offseason and at the deadline, that’s all I am saying 

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

So you're saying that Pegula has him on a tight leash?  

7 hours ago, JoeSchmoe said:

Now what?  Corey Perry is available. His veteran presence will help this young squad. Just keep him away from Levi's mom.

He might be a decent rental for Buffalo now that we have the roster down to 2 goalies.  Former Hart and Rocket Richard winner. 

He could help a team down the stretch

2 hours ago, Hank said:

THIS season, it is unlikely, but not impossible that he'll make a move or 2 prior to the deadline.

In future seasons, he's going to have to start to make moves on the same sort of timelines as the rest of the league because his treasure trove of prospects are going to start to become waiver eligible and the team will actually have to being to consider possibly having to navigate the salary cap.  But he might get away with moves of a similar scale and timeline as this past summer for 1 more year.  (Haven't looked closely at when some of the younger guys start becoming waiver eligible, not sure how long everybody in system has been under contract.)

4 hours ago, Pimlach said:

He might be a decent rental for Buffalo now that we have the roster down to 2 goalies.  Former Hart and Rocket Richard winner. 

He could help a team down the stretch

We'd need to know why he's being terminated before I'd even think about bringing Perry here with even more youngsters.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Taro T said:

THIS season, it is unlikely, but not impossible that he'll make a move or 2 prior to the deadline.

In future seasons, he's going to have to start to make moves on the same sort of timelines as the rest of the league because his treasure trove of prospects are going to start to become waiver eligible and the team will actually have to being to consider possibly having to navigate the salary cap.  But he might get away with moves of a similar scale and timeline as this past summer for 1 more year.  (Haven't looked closely at when some of the younger guys start becoming waiver eligible, not sure how long everybody in system has been under contract.)

Moves, yes. I fully expect he moves an expiring asset or two, but I think the return will be picks, not players. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.